Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

You are quite wrong. Sam started 23 matches for Birmingham in the Championship and came on 10 times so was involved in 33 of the 42 games he was on their books (They had played 4 games already in the league when he joined). He was sent off once so that accounts for missing 1 match and was injured. He picked up a calf injury v Cardiff March 10th which sidelined him for 7 games. That means he was involved in every match apart from one which makes a mockery of your post. Plus I know for a fact Birmingham were desperate to sign him on a full time basis as were more than a dozen other clubs inc Wolves and Villa. If you go onto either Sam or Birmingham's Twitter pages you will see how highly the fans regard him. Finally I was at Sunday's game v Fulham and when Sam got subbed in the 75th minute he got one of the loudest standing ovations I have heard with the whole ground on their feet.

So, 10 times he wasn't in Birmingham's starting XI - not exactly the first name on the teamsheet. And their reactions seem to be mixed at best: https://birmingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/given-100-for-us-hasnt-done-enough-for-me-debate-over-re-signing-birmingham-loanee/

He's scored 7 goals at a rate of 316 minutes per goal and has achieved zero assists - which is pretty poor really. He's not even the best striker at Birmingham, and he's certainly not one of the best in the division.

Based on my opinion that Bertrand, Forster, Davis, Yoshida, Reed, Targett, Boufal, Long, Gabbiadini and Carillo will likely leave along with the out of contracts. I think we need (mix of realistic and optimistic replacements)

1 GK to provide competition with McCarthy - Daniel Bentley (Brentford)

1 CB (would promote Alfie Jones too) - Nordi Mukiele (Montpellier)

1 LB - Philipp Max (Augsburg)

1 RB to provide competition with Cedric - Moritz Bauer (Stoke)

2 LW/RW - Pione Sisto (Celta Vigo) Kenedy (Chelsea)

1 AM - Hakim Ziyech (Ajax)

2 CF - Bas Dost (Sporting) James Maddison (Norwich)

Not difficult at all. We keep him. This is the year he needs to play regularly for us. I would release Austin to make that happen.

Keep Targett.

Reed - undecided.

If we do let Austin go, we need to bring someone in who we can rely on for goals at premier league level. Sorry, but there is nothing to suggest Gallagher is that man.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Gallagher over Austin? Up there with the worst things I've seen on this forum :mcinnes:

Gallagher is useless

Couldn't agree more:

Sam Gallagher's stats for a struggling Championship side Birmingham:

316 minutes per goal

2213 minutes played

7 Goals scored

0 Assists

Shots on target 18 (38%)

Total shots 48

Charlie Austin's stats for struggling Premier League side Southampton

138 minutes per goal

966 minutes played

7 Goals scored

0 Assists

Shots on target 25 (66%)

Total shots 38

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6237514/arsenal-transfer-news-huddersfield-basel-mohamed-elyounoussi/

Elyounoussi would be a good signing, was excellent against Man City in the champions league which probably attracted attention of some higher clubs though.

With Boufal and possibly Tadic likely to leave, 2 out of Elyounoussi, Sisto and Promes would be decent.

It'll be interesting to see which dominant Centre back we go for, we're going to sign one surely...I still like the idea of Pontus Jansson, I think he could make the step up - Scandinavians have served us well in the past.

So on the basis we still have 50m from the VVD deal plus the same again from the budget and we will sell; Forster (15), Bertrand (25), Long (5), and a few others, maybe 20m worth, I would suggest that 150m is potentially available. We will of course spend nowhere near that amount BUT this season has proven that they need to buy 2-3 players in the 25-40m bracket. I would like to see a first choice CB, a DCM, a Winger type attacker and another STRIKER. A GK to back up / push AMc obviously but will be 5-10m I would think.

I hope that Hughes is given a go. I was dubious, no very dubious, but his passion has shone through and that is exactly what I thought he lacked and what we needed. He got the job done.....well virtually at this point!!

Assuming the ultimate embarrassment does not occur Sunday, I think the summer could be exciting especially if Reed is finally given his retirement!!

How have you determined that?

Sorry - likely, in my opinion. Who knows.

With Tadic and Bertrand both having spent four seasons at the club and still at a point in their career where they can attract attention of fairly large clubs - I wouldn't be surprised to see a parting of ways should a bid of around £25m come in for either player from a club they'd be interested in going to.

I think that those are the two most likely to go in terms of clubs wanting our players and putting reasonable bids in (Boufal, Carillo and Forster we will probably try and push out the door ourselves). I would expect decent bids for Cedric, Lemina etc would still be rejected if we sold Tadic and Bertrand, with Gabbiadini an expection if he's as homesick as some on here have suggested.

Cedric is a very good RB. We’d struggle to get better. He was fantastic against Swansea.

His height is an issue, but the CB should be smart enough to counter that and pull across. It hasn’t helped Stephens playing RCB as he is even worse in the air.

He looks ideal for 3/5 at the back. His work rate and pace is a real asset down the right hand side.

He has been dreadful for most of the season.

Probably the most improved player though since Hughes has come in, so hopefully he can continue his good form into next season.

What about Clasie- how much could we get for him I wonder?

£2, 7/- and 6d I would think...

I see somebody has mentioned Bas Dost above. What is the obsession with this guy? I saw him play at Wembley and he could not trap a bag of cement and had the turning circle of a brontosaurus.. He really is not worth pursuing.

The problem I have with Cedric is his reluctance to get forward, but I'm hoping that's due to a lack of confidence and/or playing under Pellegrino for so long. As a wing back his crossing also needs to improve a lot. We can't have a wide player who puts in one good cross every four matches.

I'm not convinced Cedric is great, but I also think we have a lot more pressing needs elsewhere so we should just accept that he will be our RB and hope Hughes can get the best out of him/improve his weaknesses.

I remember listening to Bertrand being interviewed by Blackmore earlier in the season who said (paraphrasing) that as a full back you only wanted to get forward if you were confident other players would cover the gap in defence you left behind. At the time I took it as a bit of a dig at the CBs and midfielders but I can imagine Cedric probably felt similar.

Couldn't agree more:

316 minutes per goal

2213 minutes played

7 Goals scored

0 Assists

Shots on target 18 (38%)

Total shots 48

138 minutes per goal

966 minutes played

7 Goals scored

0 Assists

Shots on target 25 (66%)

Total shots 38

Hardly a fair comparison as unlike Gallagher Austin wasn't forced to play out of position on the right wing for much of his time.

Couldn't agree more:

316 minutes per goal

2213 minutes played

7 Goals scored

0 Assists

Shots on target 18 (38%)

Total shots 48

138 minutes per goal

966 minutes played

7 Goals scored

0 Assists

Shots on target 25 (66%)

Total shots 38

what about Gallaghar's stats Vs Long, Carrillo and Gabbi...

I remember listening to Bertrand being interviewed by Blackmore earlier in the season who said (paraphrasing) that as a full back you only wanted to get forward if you were confident other players would cover the gap in defence you left behind. At the time I took it as a bit of a dig at the CBs and midfielders but I can imagine Cedric probably felt similar.

Probably true, but also because Pellegrino seemed to coach the players to play safe all the time. When I criticise Cedric's lack of getting forward though, it's less about how much time he spends attacking in general, but specific moments in games where he has chance to do something positive and doesn't. I think he has been a bit better in the last few games, perhaps it's also something you notice more live than on TV. The matches that stand out for me were Wigan away and Chelsea at Wembley, and they were both matches I attended.

Would love to see Jonjo Shelvey in a Saints shirt but probably unrealistic. Did occur to me that Tadic and Mitrovic link up well when playing for Serbia but don't know how matey they are to be honest. He may be a bit temperamental but I think he would give us a big physical presence up front, not sure whether Austin does to be honest and if Tadic stays, then they could work well together. Mitrovic has never really had a fair deal at Newcastle in my opinion.

Otherwise, Tom Cairney and Bradley Dack are players that I think could make the step up, especially Cairney. Unlike a lot of people on here, I really like Jack Stephens and rate him as decent, someone who given the right coaching could be a really good player, he has a great attitude from what I see too. Maybe we could get a quality defensive coach in, may not be the worst idea ever!

I just cannot see us shelling out £30m on one player so I think we will probably be looking at quality Championship players to be honest. There are a few quality players at the top clubs who are not playing regularly but unfortunately, the wages and the fees, not to mention the fact that some players seem to be just happy being on the bench, would put them off coming to Saints where they would play week in week out.

I rate Martial and Rashford and think either would give us something we don't currently have, however, having been realistic with some names above, I am probably being unrealistic with these ones, I feel a season long loan deal would be the only slight chance. The question I would ask is are their international prospects going to be helped more by being bit part players at a big club or playing week in week out at somewhere like Saints.

Would love to see Jonjo Shelvey in a Saints shirt but probably unrealistic. Did occur to me that Tadic and Mitrovic link up well when playing for Serbia but don't know how matey they are to be honest. He may be a bit temperamental but I think he would give us a big physical presence up front, not sure whether Austin does to be honest and if Tadic stays, then they could work well together. Mitrovic has never really had a fair deal at Newcastle in my opinion.

Otherwise, Tom Cairney and Bradley Dack are players that I think could make the step up, especially Cairney. Unlike a lot of people on here, I really like Jack Stephens and rate him as decent, someone who given the right coaching could be a really good player, he has a great attitude from what I see too. Maybe we could get a quality defensive coach in, may not be the worst idea ever!

I just cannot see us shelling out £30m on one player so I think we will probably be looking at quality Championship players to be honest. There are a few quality players at the top clubs who are not playing regularly but unfortunately, the wages and the fees, not to mention the fact that some players seem to be just happy being on the bench, would put them off coming to Saints where they would play week in week out.

I rate Martial and Rashford and think either would give us something we don't currently have, however, having been realistic with some names above, I am probably being unrealistic with these ones, I feel a season long loan deal would be the only slight chance. The question I would ask is are their international prospects going to be helped more by being bit part players at a big club or playing week in week out at somewhere like Saints.

Their prospects of international football are definitely better being squad players at big clubs.

You are insane if you think we have any chance of signing Rashford or Martial. Why would they come here? If available for transfer, do you not think other clubs would want them, that are more attractive than us? Would we pay their wages?

Why not just say Messi could do a job for us? Or Hazard?

Right back how about the guy at wigan ? burn ....and who is the nearly 7ft tall centre back ?

Nathan Byrne? Not sure, think we need to be aiming higher personally. Vallery is supposed to be decent....maybe he can become our backup.

Liverpool are considering reporting the dastardly bastards at Borussia Monchengladbach for tapping up one of their youth players...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/12/liverpool-consider-reporting-borussia-monchengladbach-illegal/

Disgusting behaviour :x ........................................ if its against the scouse whiners but ok if its them doing the tapping :rolleyes:

If we're looking for a goal-scoring, all-rounded no.10, an interesting choice might be Alireza Jahanbakhsh. He's a no.10/winger playing for AZ in Holland. Top goalscorer in the Eredivisie this year (21 goals) and 3rd top assister in the league (12 assists). Seems to be very much a Saints type of signing and shouldn't really break the bank.

If we're looking for a goal-scoring, all-rounded no.10, an interesting choice might be Alireza Jahanbakhsh. He's a no.10/winger playing for AZ in Holland. Top goalscorer in the Eredivisie this year (21 goals) and 3rd top assister in the league (12 assists). Seems to be very much a Saints type of signing and shouldn't really break the bank.

Napoli, Got eyes on him

Exactly the type of player we need to be signing but doubt the board have the clout to pull it off under the noses of Napoli (albeit with their managerial uncertainty).

looks like a faster version of tadic

1) He’ll probably have better clubs than us after him

2) We probably won’t pay the money needed to pick the best players off a rival

But Pascal Gross from Brighton is absolutely mustard, Tadic-esque, almost every pass i’ve seen him play has been perfect. Was the highest chance creator in the Bundesliga a couple of seasons ago, and has gone on to be pivotal for Brighton this year.

Pascal Gross from Brighton is absolutely mustard, Tadic-esque, almost every pass i’ve seen him play has been perfect. Was the highest chance creator in the Bundesliga a couple of seasons ago, and has gone on to be pivotal for Brighton this year.

Arguably he is already at a better more stable club than Saints currently, and they will be able to match whatever wages we could pay.

Still find it odd no one has taken Ziyech yet, he seems to get better and better. 178 games in Holland, 59 goals and 66 assists from midfield.

16 goals, 26 assists from 60 games for Ajax over the last 2 seasons.

Still find it odd no one has taken Ziyech yet, he seems to get better and better. 178 games in Holland, 59 goals and 66 assists from midfield.

16 goals, 26 assists from 60 games for Ajax over the last 2 seasons.

Good stats! #ZiyechWatch