Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

The Tierney whose been watched by PSG and Bayern
Most of our Signing have been watched by bigger clubs, they dont take the gamble on them hence why we sign them and then sell them on

Wanyama, Mane and Vvd to name a few

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Most of our Signing have been watched by bigger clubs, they dont take the gamble on them hence why we sign them and then sell them on

Wanyama, Mane and Vvd to name a few

Yeah, those are the best ones to sign. Doesn't always work (Clasie etc) but we've got a decent average.

Yeah, those are the best ones to sign. Doesn't always work (Clasie etc) but we've got a decent average.
I cant see us losing too much on Clasie he is a good player just not suited to PL we could sell him back to Feyenoord for near on what we paid for him

I cant see us losing too much on Clasie he is a good player just not suited to PL we could sell him back to Feyenoord for near on what we paid for him

I can't see Clasie playing for us again. I pretty sure he is on 49 appearances for us, and I would speculate the reason he suddenly stopped even being named on the bench (and was then farmed out on loan) was because another "add-on" fee is due to Feyenoord if he steps on a pitch in a Saints shirt again for his 50th appearance. Therefore, I would not be surprised if he is sold (if anyone will come close to matching the wages we pay him) or loaned out again next season.

Anyone else slightly worried at the fact that the nucleus of the squad will be kept together according to that article? I would say the nucleus of that squad isn't good enough!

IMHO taking the above into account, we need:

2 x CB (if Yosh is leaving) - one leader

1 x WB for each side (with the probable loss of Bertrand and Cedric)

1 x AM

1 X CF

This is working on us keeping 3/5 at the back.

People tend to talk about Sisto & Promes in the same breath, so thought I’d watch some of those YouTube videos. Pretty striking difference if you ask me.

Now I know that these videos do not give a true reflection of how good a player is, how they have been asked to play by the manager, or the quality of opposition, but you can certainly get an idea of a player’s style.

Sisto seems to plays just like Redmond. Plays on the left and looks to cut in every time he gets it. Rarely beats a man and has quite a few ‘nearly’ shots on goal. Promes, on the other hand, goes past people regardless of what side of the pitch he’s on and clearly has an eye for goal. A much more exciting prospect to me. Perhaps someone who has seen either or both of them play frequently could shed some light on these observations?

I wonder if going for Sisto would show that we are looking to play the same way, just with a potential upgrade on what we have. Given my biggest frustration with Redmond is the fact he always cuts inside and never takes anyone on due to his position/instructions, I clearly hope the deal for Promes is still on the table.

Anyone else slightly worried at the fact that the nucleus of the squad will be kept together according to that article? I would say the nucleus of that squad isn't good enough!

IMHO taking the above into account, we need:

2 x CB (if Yosh is leaving) - one leader

1 x WB for each side (with the probable loss of Bertrand and Cedric)

1 x AM

1 X CF

This is working on us keeping 3/5 at the back.

Plus a GK assuming we are able to offload FF.

Ahmed Hegazi has a £2.5m release clause after WBA's relegation.

27, 6' 4", an absolute thug. No idea if he's much cop as a defender per se, but he'd fit the bill as an aerially strong CB on the cheap.

DAJFU?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Ahmed Hegazi has a £2.5m release clause after WBA's relegation.

27, 6' 4", an absolute thug. No idea if he's much cop as a defender per se, but he'd fit the bill as an aerially strong CB on the cheap.

DAJFU?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Good shout, no nonsense and on his day a very good player - started really well at WBA. Would strengthen us for little outlay.

I can't see Clasie playing for us again. I pretty sure he is on 49 appearances for us, and I would speculate the reason he suddenly stopped even being named on the bench (and was then farmed out on loan) was because another "add-on" fee is due to Feyenoord if he steps on a pitch in a Saints shirt again for his 50th appearance. Therefore, I would not be surprised if he is sold (if anyone will come close to matching the wages we pay him) or loaned out again next season.

Saints already paid the full price for Clasie (15 million euros or 13,1 million pounds) as "add-ons" were already met before he left for Bruges. Feyenoord coach Giovanni van Bronckhorst knows Clasie wants to return to Feyenoord and has said he could be an option (Vilhena and El Ahmadi will probably leave) but Feyenoord will never pay more than 5 or 6 million euros for Clasie so I guess a return is out of the question.

It's weird to see that there are still fans here who like to see Bas Dost, Quincy Promes or Hakim Ziyech to play for Saints. It wouldn't even surprise me anymore when they say Justin Kluivert from Ajax might be the winger we need... :mcinnes:

Saints already paid the full price for Clasie (15 million euros or 13,1 million pounds) as "add-ons" were already met before he left for Bruges. Feyenoord coach Giovanni van Bronckhorst knows Clasie wants to return to Feyenoord and has said he could be an option (Vilhena and El Ahmadi will probably leave) but Feyenoord will never pay more than 5 or 6 million euros for Clasie so I guess a return is out of the question.

It's weird to see that there are still fans here who like to see Bas Dost, Quincy Promes or Hakim Ziyech to play for Saints. It wouldn't even surprise me anymore when they say Justin Kluivert from Ajax might be the winger we need... :mcinnes:

Thought Clasie was signed for £8m?

Would definitely take Hegazi, and £2.5m in this day and age would be insanely cheap
We already have four CBs, some of whom would be very difficult to shift. Everyone knows we need another CB so it has to be someone significantly better than who we have i.e similar to when we signed Lovren.

We already have four CBs, some of whom would be very difficult to shift. Everyone knows we need another CB so it has to be someone significantly better than who we have i.e similar to when we signed Lovren.

Depends how many we move on, could see us moving on Yoshida, and not sure Stephens is good enough, Hoedt questionable but got talent...

Agree we need a "top" centre back, but how many of those are there about? Going to be an interesting summer...

Depends how many we move on, could see us moving on Yoshida, and not sure Stephens is good enough, Hoedt questionable but got talent...

Agree we need a "top" centre back, but how many of those are there about? Going to be an interesting summer...

Yoshida isn't going anywhere http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/16238218.Yoshida_s_future_decided/?ref=mr&lp=2

Good Yoshida is decent enough as along as he gets a good partner at the back. Personally I'd be happy to sack of Stephens and the incredibly poor Hoedt.

Keep Yoshida and Bednarek and get in at least one (ideally two but that might be expecting to much) really good CB with some leadership qualities and aerial ability.

Good Yoshida is decent enough as along as he gets a good partner at the back. Personally I'd be happy to sack of Stephens and the incredibly poor Hoedt.

Keep Yoshida and Bednarek and get in at least one (ideally two but that might be expecting to much) really good CB with some leadership qualities and aerial ability.

Thought he was one of our best players in the last few games of the season. Maybe he wont ever reach the level of Van Dijk or Lovren, but think he's cutting out the mistakes and next season can hopefully push on.

Wouldn't necessarily expect 'significantly better' than what we already have, just a better balance. We need a warrior who's going to dominate in the air and tell the others where to be, I don't think they're all as individually bad as people make out, I just think they all need someone to tell them what to do sometimes. Hegazi's got a bit of bite about him, he'll be an improvement I think, especially at that price.

Why is it weird to discuss Promes? Are you saying that he is too good for us? I thought we were trying to get a deal for him done in January and the only reason we didn't was because his club wanted to eek out more money?

Thought he was one of our best players in the last few games of the season. Maybe he wont ever reach the level of Van Dijk or Lovren, but think he's cutting out the mistakes and next season can hopefully push on.

He's been awful. At Swansea in particular I couldn't believe what I was watching at times. Awful with the ball, very slow and constantly allows strikers to back in and outmuscle him, regularly missing first headers and causing chaos in our box. They had a half chance in the last few minutes from simply floating a long ball up to the striker (Abraham I think) and he allowed him to chest it down, turn and have a shot at goal inside the area. It summed him up.

You always hope he might improve but I'm really struggling to see it happening. 15 million for that....

If the board are serious about getting us back up to 7th/8th then they'll have 2 new CB signed this summer with Yoshida and Bednarek as back up

Why is it weird to discuss Promes? Are you saying that he is too good for us? I thought we were trying to get a deal for him done in January and the only reason we didn't was because his club wanted to eek out more money?

I mean that Promes is not the right player for us. Scoring goals in Russia (or Portugal like Bas Dost) is one thing, creating chances and scoring goals in the PL is a totally different thing. I've seen Promes play for the Dutch national team regularly and believe me, he was totally useless for 95% of the time. Of course it's different to play for the national team but it's clear he can't adept to a different level. Jeremain Lens and Eljero Elia are way better than Promes and you know how their career ended in the PL.

I mean that Promes is not the right player for us. Scoring goals in Russia (or Portugal like Bas Dost) is one thing, creating chances and scoring goals in the PL is a totally different thing. I've seen Promes play for the Dutch national team regularly and believe me, he was totally useless for 95% of the time. Of course it's different to play for the national team but it's clear he can't adept to a different level. Jeremain Lens and Eljero Elia are way better than Promes and you know how their career ended in the PL.

Ah sorry, I thought you were implying they were all unrealistic targets (i.e. too good for us)!

I certainly prefer Promes' style of play to Sisto's though, from what I've seen at least, even if he doesn't have the necessary quality. At least he goes past people and has a bit more pace/directness. Sisto just looks like a slightly better Redmond.

Really? I thought he was a mistake waiting to happen every time he played even at the end of the season with five at the back he looked like the weak link.

You'd know better than me, but are those 2 really way better?

He's been awful. At Swansea in particular I couldn't believe what I was watching at times. Awful with the ball, very slow and constantly allows strikers to back in and outmuscle him, regularly missing first headers and causing chaos in our box. They had a half chance in the last few minutes from simply floating a long ball up to the striker (Abraham I think) and he allowed him to chest it down, turn and have a shot at goal inside the area. It summed him up.

You always hope he might improve but I'm really struggling to see it happening. 15 million for that....

If the board are serious about getting us back up to 7th/8th then they'll have 2 new CB signed this summer with Yoshida and Bednarek as back up

Oddly, I agree and disagree for all the reasons you've listed. I don't think he's awful, as he made some vital challenges and won the ball really well at times. Some of his tackles in the last few games could have been a booking or red card if even slightly mistimed, but he got it spot on.

BUT... his passing is shocking and that alone causes us more defensive problems than he solves. I it will prove easier to coach this out of him, than it would be to improve his defensive technical ability. Perhaps we need to do the same with him as Klopp did with Lovren to get a reasonable game out of him: keep it simple, win the ball, pass immediately to another player and get back in position.

Ah sorry, I thought you were implying they were all unrealistic targets (i.e. too good for us)!

I certainly prefer Promes' style of play to Sisto's though, from what I've seen at least, even if he doesn't have the necessary quality. At least he goes past people and has a bit more pace/directness. Sisto just looks like a slightly better Redmond.

I didn't see any games from Celta de Vigo or Denmark in the last two years so I don't know if Sisto would be a great signing for Saints. But 'a slightly better Redmond' is indeed not good enough... :(

It's always a gamble. But i'd rather gamble on someone scoring regular in a lesser league than someone very rarely scoring in a decent league. Who is more likely to bring the goals we need, Sisto or Promes?

I wouldn't know as I don't know much about Sisto but when it comes to gambling I'll agree with you. Hopefully the scouts know better than just taking a gamble! :D

Bringing in a 21 year old who isn't a regular at his club doesn't seem to at all fit what we need.

Dragging our feet over a manager decision & signing poorly suited players?

#TheSouthamptonWay :)

Imo they are... ;)

Suppose I'm wrong and they are just as good as Promes, it still is not good enough for Saints right?

Certainly not at £30m+

Unfortunately I've got to say I found him horrendous; slow, poor control of the ball, poor passing, poor in the air and indecisive. Right now id have him down as our worst CB, Stephens edges him by being better on the ball. However, he isn't a bad tackler and has age on his side. I think he deserves another season but if he doesn't improve massively then get rid. Surprising really because he seemed to have been successful at Lazio.

Bednarek on the other hand really surprised me, much better than I expected and looked to be an immediate upgrade on Stephens.

I really didn't understand our defensive decline this season. I mean losing Van Dijk and Fonte was a big blow, but Yoshida and Stephens were looking a solid, if unspectacular partnership before Hoedt joined the party. Certainly not the relegation standard that we have had to endure recently.

Yoshida and Stephens looked good - or should I say better - last season as the whole team was set up to protect them for the second half of the season. To sit back and defend or keep the ball and not invite pressure on our defence.

If we're playing three/five at the back next season then I hope we sign one CB/leader/guaranteed starter and then from the four we already have two start alongside him, one on the bench, one injured/rested/suspended/dropped...

Then I hope we sign a 20 goal a season centre forward (don't we all). We can sign creative midfielders until the cows come home, but if we haven't got an upgrade-on-Austin number 9, with Gabbi playing just off, we ain't gonna score many goals.

Simples.

who would everyone prefer if we had the choice out of sisto,promes or shaquiri?

think im just about leaning sisto. looks to have quite good use of the ball imo although promes does look more direct and score more goals

Based on recent transfer windows, my overall feeling is that if we in for them, then none of them are probably not what we need.

who would everyone prefer if we had the choice out of sisto,promes or shaquiri?

think im just about leaning sisto. looks to have quite good use of the ball imo although promes does look more direct and score more goals

How did Hughes get on with Shaqiri at the end of his Stoke tenure? Curious if they had a falling out at all?

I can remember seeing analysis of Shaqiri just walking around the pitch during matches.

How did Hughes get on with Shaqiri at the end of his Stoke tenure? Curious if they had a falling out at all?

I can remember seeing analysis of Shaqiri just walking around the pitch during matches.

sounds likes hughes is a fan of him here http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11701/11133697/xherdan-shaqiri-was-a-steal-says-stoke-boss-mark-hughes

if the 12m clause is true could well be on our radar.

I would have signed Tom Cairney for the past few windows.

We also clearly need someone to replace Mane. And we need a mobile target man that can score and link play.

Would certainly go for Shaqiri if he is on the cheap. Wonder if he likes Hughes or not.