Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

Hahahaha you’re clueless buddy.

Providing his wages are reasonable, every club outside the top 7 would take him.

He was dramatically improve us and would be a great signing.

Well you're definitely wrong because Bournemouth had the chance to take him and turned him down!

Someone who can't get into Bournemouth's team isn't on our level.

Lay off the drugs for a bit.

Providing his wages are reasonable, every club outside the top 7 would take him.

If he stays injury free.... I remember lots of people banging on about Sturridge being a great signing for West Brom last Jan he lasted about two games before he was injured again. Players like Wilshere, Carroll and Sturridge could all potential be useful but are a gamble for any club outside the top six because it could cost a fortune in wages to have then spend most of their time in the treatment room.

What’s the asking price for Hirving Lozano at PSV. No doubt it increased after his goal for Mexico v Germany

would be a fair amount!

i've actually known him for 3/4 years now because he has been one of the fastest players in the game on FIFA!

He don't have a very good record for some one in such a high profile club, with the players he has had around him, he should have far more assists and goals.... he only has 3 more goals than JWP...……. and he is far older injury prone, just wouldn't be worth it

According to the Sun, Huddersfield close to signing Anthony Limbombe from Club Brugge. Says Southampton were interested in him.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6574186/huddersfield-anthony-limbombe-club-brugge/

Nothing to back it up, other than they've had a bid turned down but prepare for the meltdown on here. But if we are interested in him then what happened to that supposed tie up we supposed to have with Club Brugge?

The Times saying we've made Wilshere an offer. They reference lots of interest in him but only mention us, Everton and Palace by name: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/jack-wilshere-im-leaving-arsenal-0rlc67637

He would be a great signing, I think hes a really good player, but it would come at a cost of having to sell someone we we have a lot of numbers in that area of the pitch.

The Times saying we've made Wilshere an offer. They reference lots of interest in him but only mention us, Everton and Palace by name: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/jack-wilshere-im-leaving-arsenal-0rlc67637

He would be a great signing, I think hes a really good player, but it would come at a cost of having to sell someone we we have a lot of numbers in that area of the pitch.

"Come and join us. We are really small".

Fck I hope not.

What would be the point? One thing we don't need is an injury prone non-scoring central midfielder. Who does he replace? Romeu, Hojberg, Lemina? Why? We've already spent heavily in that area and have decent players we need to find form.

A few alright games in a far more attacking Arsenal game doesn't mean he'd do well here. Thought he was poor for Bournemouth.

If anyone, he replaces Davis. But since he's nowhere near the first team (albeit injury influenced that), what's the point? I can't imagine Wilshere's wages will be cheap and he hardly set the world alight at Bournemouth.

Last season Premier League matches

Arsenal with Wilshere

P20 W11 D5 L4. 38 points. 1.9 ppg

Arsenal without Wilshere

P18 W8 D1 L9. 25 points. 1.38 ppg

The average league position of opposition teams was a lot lower when wilshire was playing I'd wager (just checked, He didn't play against Tottenham at home (2-0 win), united at home (3-1 loss), Man City Away (3-1 loss)). Can't be bothered to check further. Happy to be proved wrong ofc, but its a simplistic way to look at things based purely on average points per game, especially on such a small sample. He is a squad player there and gets used as such. That is why he is leaving. Basically his own words.

I'm not a big fan of Wilshere, but he was excellent for Arsenal at the end of last year.

Agree Jeff. Not a big fan either and he is injury-prone but he looked to be hitting some decent form towards the end of last season. Also of the belief that Wenger and Arsenal have held back the development of alot of younger players, so a change of scenery (not just a loan) could make a difference.

Fck I hope not.

What would be the point? One thing we don't need is an injury prone non-scoring central midfielder. Who does he replace? Romeu, Hojberg, Lemina? Why? We've already spent heavily in that area and have decent players we need to find form.

A few alright games in a far more attacking Arsenal game doesn't mean he'd do well here. Thought he was poor for Bournemouth.

Clearly replacement for Steve Davis who is probably going into his last year with us and is struggling to keep the fitness levels needed. In my opinion Jack would be just what we need, a combative, creative midfielder with leadership qualities. Only concern I have is his tenda y to be a knob off the field.

The average league position of opposition teams was a lot lower when wilshire was playing I'd wager (just checked, He didn't play against Tottenham at home (2-0 win), united at home (3-1 loss), Man City Away (3-1 loss)). Can't be bothered to check further. Happy to be proved wrong ofc, but its a simplistic way to look at things based purely on average points per game, especially on such a small sample. He is a squad player there and gets used as such. That is why he is leaving. Basically his own words.
Those stats include all games he got minutes on the pitch. So the 3-1 loss at man city is one of the 4 losses.

He also played a full 90 in the draws with Chelsea and liverpool.

And Jeremy Wilson in the Telegraph, who is usually very well-informed on Southampton matters, does not mention us in the list of clubs interested

Saints go to China at the end of June, looking increasingly likely with no additions to a squad that was nearly relegated.

There is a massive advantage to have players settled for the start of the season and it adds competition for those who were poor last season but with no real fight for their place.

Also gives Hughes fewer options, he has to plan for a 5-3-2 simply because the CBs arent good enough and need protecting.

Plus, surely we aren't going to start the season with Long and Austin as the main strikers again?

Those stats include all games he got minutes on the pitch. So the 3-1 loss at man city is one of the 4 losses.

He also played a full 90 in the draws with Chelsea and liverpool.

So those stats are like for like (same opposition, same arsenal team) -with the only difference that Wilshere appeared in some games and didn't in others.

Didn't think so little fella.

Saints go to China at the end of June, looking increasingly likely with no additions to a squad that was nearly relegated.

There is a massive advantage to have players settled for the start of the season and it adds competition for those who were poor last season but with no real fight for their place.

Also gives Hughes fewer options, he has to plan for a 5-3-2 simply because the CBs arent good enough and need protecting.

Plus, surely we aren't going to start the season with Long and Austin as the main strikers again?

The Southampton Way

So those stats are like for like (same opposition, same arsenal team) -with the only difference that Wilshere appeared in some games and didn't in others.

Didn't think so little fella.

Does it even matter? I posted numbers for points won when Wilshere had minutes on the pitch and points when he didn't.

I didn't give any analysis on the numbers just the numbers.

Fck I hope not.

He's a massive upgrade on Hojbjerg, JWP and Davis, fitness issues notwithstanding.

Does it even matter? I posted numbers for points won when Wilshere had minutes on the pitch and points when he didn't.

I didn't give any analysis on the numbers just the numbers.

You're in the fruit and veg biz pal, you know not to compare apples and pears. Which or may not be the case here without further investigation.

Whether or not they've just rehashed this from the sun is anyones guess, but....

Southampton are considering a move for Red Bull Salzburg’s highly rated midfielder Amadou Haidara, SSN understands

The 20-year-old Mali international is valued at around £15m and was one of Salzburg's standout talents last season, scoring four goals in 36 appearances.

Haidaramade his senior debut for the Mali national team last year in a World Cup qualifier against Ivory Coast.

Salzburg reached the semi-finals of the Europa League and won the Austrian Bundesliga by 13 points last season.

So much for getting business done early this window.

FFS

FFS

I'm puzzled why you are both seemingly close to ruling out a signing in the next 10 days. Just because one hasn't happened yet... how does that impact on one happening or not before they fly to China?

I'm puzzled why you are both seemingly close to ruling out a signing in the next 10 days. Just because one hasn't happened yet... how does that impact on one happening or not before they fly to China?

Last time you told us to cheer up and relax we lost out on Semedo to Villarreal and a few months later the guy was in the slammer with MC HAMMER

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?58425-R%FAben-Semedo#.Wyo63hbTWaM

Last time you told us to cheer up and relax we lost out on Semedo to Villarreal and a few months later the guy was in the slammer with MC HAMMER

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?58425-R%FAben-Semedo#.Wyo63hbTWaM

Not one of MLG's finest moments :lol:

Well that just highlights you both overlooked the caveat I used in the opening post of that thread! :rolleyes:

A replacement with very similar attributes to van Dijk is seemingly on his way...

Today's Portuguese press..

DBjc_pMWAAA-46H.jpg

https://www.abola.pt/clubes/ver.aspx?t=4&id=675927

I used the word "seemingly" in italics and linked to a report in the Portuguese thread, I did not claim to know it would happen, I was positing a link to a press story. "Seemingly" is not definitive.

tenor.gif?itemid=10327272

Edited by Matthew Le God

Wilshere is an excellent footballer and would walk into our team.

Can't see it happening though. He'll go to the club offering the biggest contract.

Still early days as far as the window goes though. Plenty more fish in the sea.

and limp back out of it two games later....

Our recent track record is pretty appalling at getting players signed before pre-season starts. Lemina and Hoedt were both bought in August last year IIRC. Even in Jan when we had the VvD money to play with before the window started we bought Carrillo in late, despite having no competition for his signature and paying over the odds anyway.

Doesn’t help that our entire executive board appear to treat themselves to a holiday after the season finishes, meaning we are slow off the mark. The Daily Echo article published last week referred to us only starting to look at players. Fair enough with the manager, as he won’t get any opportunity for a holiday during the season, but why do Les and Ross need to swan off? Surely more appropriate that they get things in order at the club, and then take a break when the season starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When fit (and that hasn't been very often unfortunately) Wilshere is a fantastic player. I suppose it depends on if our offer includes clauses based on time played etc. If he gets an offer where they pay him loads of money whether or not he plays (I am looking at West Ham here) compared to say quite a lot of money with bonuses if he plays 30+ games etc, then his decision will tell a great deal about him as a Professional.

We wont sign anyone before China, if we do they will be poor.

When fit (and that hasn't been very often unfortunately) Wilshere is a fantastic player. I suppose it depends on if our offer includes clauses based on time played etc. If he gets an offer where they pay him loads of money whether or not he plays (I am looking at West Ham here) compared to say quite a lot of money with bonuses if he plays 30+ games etc, then his decision will tell a great deal about him as a Professional.

Signing Wilshere screams West Ham (or possibly Everton). The game is littered with talented players whose careers are blighted by injury in the end he will go to which ever club is prepared to gamble a 130K a week on his fitness I doubt it would be saints though.

FFS

I never quite understand why people say things like this. Of course it would be beneficial, and I'm fairly sure the club have thought of that. But the buying club very rarely holds the trump card when negotiating a transfer. It is almost always in the selling club's best interests to hold out for as long as possible in the hope that either another interested party comes along, or the buying club get desperate and concede to all demands. Equally, it is generally in the player's best financial interests to hold out; other offers from bigger clubs, for more money, have more chance of coming along if they wait until the end of the window. Ben Gibson, for example, could be 2nd or 3rd choice for Everton and they are currently focusing on getting a deal done for their first choice. If that doesn't happen, Everton may come in for him later in the window. If you look at the business done so far, it is generally either big clubs getting their first choice targets done (of course they can... a player isn't going to hold out for a better offer if they already have an offer from City, United or Liverpool), or it is the smaller clubs filling gaps in their squads with relatively unknown players who may not get another opportunity to play in the Premier League. We find ourselves somewhere in between those two markets; generally players who have already made a name for themselves somewhere, and might reasonably expect a bigger club to show interest once they get wind of the fact that Saints are looking. For a club like us to improve our squad, it is next to impossible to get our business done early.

Equally, it can work in our favour. By holding our nerve until the end of the window, we were able to bring in Toby Alderweireld, a player who would never have considered joining us at the beginning of the summer. I would guess that it was a similar story with Lemina last summer, who didn't sign until well into August. It is also a fact that some players only become available towards the end of the summer, once other clubs have been able to secure their targets. If we make an offer for Promes now, then the answer will probably be no, which might change to a yes in a month or so after Spartak have been able to secure someone else in his place.

It really isn't a simple market place and while this is frustrating for us fans, it is something that we need to accept. Of all the signings made by other clubs so far, there are not many that I feel even remotely envious of. Good players who can make a difference to us are not moving yet.

I never quite understand why people say things like this. Of course it would be beneficial, and I'm fairly sure the club have thought of that. But the buying club very rarely holds the trump card when negotiating a transfer. It is almost always in the selling club's best interests to hold out for as long as possible in the hope that either another interested party comes along, or the buying club get desperate and concede to all demands. Equally, it is generally in the player's best financial interests to hold out; other offers from bigger clubs, for more money, have more chance of coming along if they wait until the end of the window. Ben Gibson, for example, could be 2nd or 3rd choice for Everton and they are currently focusing on getting a deal done for their first choice. If that doesn't happen, Everton may come in for him later in the window. If you look at the business done so far, it is generally either big clubs getting their first choice targets done (of course they can... a player isn't going to hold out for a better offer if they already have an offer from City, United or Liverpool), or it is the smaller clubs filling gaps in their squads with relatively unknown players who may not get another opportunity to play in the Premier League. We find ourselves somewhere in between those two markets; generally players who have already made a name for themselves somewhere, and might reasonably expect a bigger club to show interest once they get wind of the fact that Saints are looking. For a club like us to improve our squad, it is next to impossible to get our business done early.

Equally, it can work in our favour. By holding our nerve until the end of the window, we were able to bring in Toby Alderweireld, a player who would never have considered joining us at the beginning of the summer. I would guess that it was a similar story with Lemina last summer, who didn't sign until well into August. It is also a fact that some players only become available towards the end of the summer, once other clubs have been able to secure their targets. If we make an offer for Promes now, then the answer will probably be no, which might change to a yes in a month or so after Spartak have been able to secure someone else in his place.

It really isn't a simple market place and while this is frustrating for us fans, it is something that we need to accept. Of all the signings made by other clubs so far, there are not many that I feel even remotely envious of. Good players who can make a difference to us are not moving yet.

Great post and shows the reality of the situation and transfer market.

In answer to your first question, it's because they have the patience of a gnat and the intellectual capacity of plankton; or are just total w@nkers.

Some good points but the premier league window closes before any other of the major league windows (I’m pretty sure) this season, so could be more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk