Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

Really? the guy wanted a job and no one else was offering him one. Most of these managers are like Teflon if it goes bad Hughes will go (still get paid) and someone else will be desperate enough, in the second half of the season, to give him another job so I doubt he was to bothered other than what his wages and pay off will be.
Its a good job for him, absolutely.

But he has seen the squad we have at first hand, knows the strengths, weaknesses and player situations. He knows who will be leaving so must feel that he will be able to replace in order to be sufficiently competitive.

These guys have big egos and big bank balances. At his career stage he doesn't need to agree to a job in which he feels he won't have a chance to at least hold his reputation.

I'm sure will we bring a couple in, but equally sure we will end up with pretty much the same CBs and Strikers as this season when in reality we need a clearout, especially of the likes of Long, Austin etc.

You think Hughes is good enough to make demands like that when taking this job...but you don't think Hughes is good enough to get this squad near mid table??

Incorrect, I don't believe the squad is good enough for Hughes to get it to mid table.

Incorrect, I don't believe the squad is good enough for Hughes to get it to mid table.

I am not so sure. Would we have picked up 8 more points over the last season had he been in charge for the whole time? I would think that performances since he got in would suggest that he would.

If Alpine was even 1% right about anything in life we'd still be in League 1, Pompey would be premier league champions and we'd all have been murdered by immigrants.

True but he makes me laugh. My perception is that everything in his life would appear to be a major drama, I wouldn't let him cross the road by himself. :lol:

Same old, same old, re: Maddison.

Norwich plan James Maddison sale after Josh Murphy completes Cardiff City transfer:

But the Carrow Road club, whose parachute payments expired this summer, will still listen to offers for Maddison.

Attacking ace Maddison scored 14 goals and had eight assists for Canaries who finished 14th in the Championship.

MirrorSport understands Leicester, Fulham, Everton and Southampton are all in the race.

Everton are likely to bid once top earner Wayne Rooney is off their wage bill.

Norwich are looking for a straight cash deal of around £20m-£25m.

The England U21 international is currently recovering from a knee ligament injury suffered at Sheffield Wednesday on the last day of the season but is expected to fit later this summer.

Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/norwich-plan-james-maddison-sale-12688464

Saints News & Views on Twitter suggesting Ben Gibson might be happening...……………………………..

To be clear, I have absolutely no clue if this is BS or genuine. Just sharing.

I think it’s just based on the fact that odds for him moving to Saints have fallen to 2/1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it’s just based on the fact that odds for him moving to Saints have fallen to 2/1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read this morning that Everton are looking at Gibson as an alternative to their pursuit of Lascelles. Newcastle’s asking price and a potential for a bidding war was the stated reason. There again, it was in the Sun...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6507104/everton-transfer-news-boro-ben-gibson/

He comes already injured? Sounds right up our alley... (Delgado' date=' Boufal & probably others...)[/quote']

Maddison is might a bit of an injury risk at present, Norwich thought he’d done his ACL last season but damage not quite as bad to his knee as first feared. Having been there with Boufal, let’s go for players fit to start the first game please.

Yes please on Ben Gibson if true. Saw him for Boro v Norwich when Boro went down to 10 early but still won, he was constantly organising them and got some brave blocks in. Leadership at the back was in very short supply last season.

Maddison is might a bit of an injury risk at present, Norwich thought he’d done his ACL last season but damage not quite as bad to his knee as first feared. Having been there with Boufal, let’s go for players fit to start the first game please.

Yes please on Ben Gibson if true. Saw him for Boro v Norwich when Boro went down to 10 early but still won, he was constantly organising them and got some brave blocks in. Leadership at the back was in very short supply last season.

I think he would still be a good signing we just can’t have him be the only attacker we bring in. He hasn’t done his ACL which is the only knee injury where players tend to never come back full strength. If we can sign him and someone like Promes/Sisto we can afford to have him on the sidelines until full fitness.

Bas Dost

William Carvalho

Rui Patricio

Gelson Martins

Bruno Ferandes

all available on frees after terminating their contacts with Sporting Lisbon!

Would be cool to get some of them, but bigger clubs will be sniffing. Wages will be the order of the day here.

I think Rui will join Wolves.

We must be the only PL team without even a well sourced report of player interest?

Hasn't been a single Wilson report on signings as yet.

Hopefully behind the scenes Les and Ross are on it...always better to have players in for pre season, especially as the window closes esrly this year.

According to the Echo this morning saints have only just begun pursuing list of targets.

No rush lads ffs

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Les and Ross have been too busy texting fans asking them to shell out ST money to even check on potential signings.

Maybe do it the other way around!

*Edit: Think Ross also had a couple of weddings to attend

They probably see it as saved wages if they don’t get someone in early.

We probably offer a club a fee then improve it to the amount we think they are worth and stick with that. If another club comes in then we look at another option.

All I want this transfer window are players that play regularly and not squad players at big clubs. The reason why they find themselves a squad player is because they have an attitude problem somewhere.

Gabby, Lemina and Boufal spring to mind.

12:46

FENERBAHCE, SAINTS INTERESTED IN ALCACER

Fenerbahce are leading Southampton in the race to sign Barcelona striker Paco Alcacer, according to Sporx.

The Saints are keen to land Alcacer, who is surplus to requirements at Barca, but they will have to fend off strong competition from Fenerbahce to secure his signature.

The Turkish side are boosted by the fact that their president Ali Koc has a good relationship with his Barcelona counterpart Josep Maria Bartomeu.

Southampton, meanwhile, are reportedly willing to pay €20m to sign the former Valencia forward.

All I want this transfer window are players that play regularly and not squad players at big clubs. The reason why they find themselves a squad player is because they have an attitude problem somewhere.

Cork, Romeu, Bertrand and Hojbjerg all have an attitude problem? Boufal was not a regular for Lille?

12:46

FENERBAHCE, SAINTS INTERESTED IN ALCACER

Fenerbahce are leading Southampton in the race to sign Barcelona striker Paco Alcacer, according to Sporx.

The Saints are keen to land Alcacer, who is surplus to requirements at Barca, but they will have to fend off strong competition from Fenerbahce to secure his signature.

The Turkish side are boosted by the fact that their president Ali Koc has a good relationship with his Barcelona counterpart Josep Maria Bartomeu.

Southampton, meanwhile, are reportedly willing to pay €20m to sign the former Valencia forward.

dont really see alcacer as a player we need personally .. from my research on him he doesnt seem to have that much pace skill or obviously bring a physical dimension seems more of a poacher who will not bring much else to the table.. would rather keep gabbi personally

We probably offer a club a fee then improve it to the amount we think they are worth and stick with that. If another club comes in then we look at another option.

your wrong about Gabby he has a great attitude from what i hear

I think you are right, I really do. We were very lucky last season, we are playing with fire if we do not address the problems this summer.

According to the Echo this morning saints have only just begun pursuing list of targets.

No rush lads ffs

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

You missed a few out:.

4)Les is relaxed about the situation.

5) Les and Ross still to be complete their review of last season

6)Before they start 5) they have to agree on Rich Tea or Custard Creams.

Many a true word said in jest.

I think you are right, I really do. We were very lucky last season, we are playing with fire if we do not address the problems this summer.

Trouble is, what we see as a disastrous season, and being a **** hair's width from being relegated, Reed probably sees as an expertly judged and handled situation dealt with by bringing Hughes in at the right time. Relax. No panic. It was under control all along.

No rush lads ffs

#TheSouthamptonWay

This summer has been very quiet on the transfer front so far, with Saints understood to be only just beginning to pursue potential new recruits.

Absolute finger on the pulse recruitment.

If true, they need to go. Whatever happened to the club regularly being in front of the curve...makes no sense. They should have been working all season to isolate the weaker areas and start putting out feelers to players to make sure we can act quickly in the summer.

Sounds ridiculous that they would come back from holiday and go "oh we should probably start thinking about trying to find some players to join us..." shambles.

I wrongly assumed that the day after the swansea game, moves for players would have started given the mess we are in, the world cup and the window closing earlier.

In my opinion the club wrongly believe we have a good squad, and the selection of Bedernark in the world cup squad justifies their position. I'm sure the club will be looking at Bedernak, Hoedt, Stephens and Yoshida and thinking it's enough.

That's also not forgetting the car crash in attack. We genuinely seem very underprepared for transfers these days, which was alarmingly shown up in January with the single signing of Carrillo for a ridiculous fee.

If true, they need to go. Whatever happened to the club regularly being in front of the curve...makes no sense. They should have been working all season to isolate the weaker areas and start putting out feelers to players to make sure we can act quickly in the summer.

Sounds ridiculous that they would come back from holiday and go "oh we should probably start thinking about trying to find some players to join us..." shambles.

I generally have a very pessimistic view of the current leadership, but even I don't think that's what they have done.

In my opinion the club wrongly believe we have a good squad, and the selection of Bedernark in the world cup squad justifies their position. I'm sure the club will be looking at Bedernak, Hoedt, Stephens and Yoshida and thinking it's enough.

That's also not forgetting the car crash in attack. We genuinely seem very underprepared for transfers these days, which was alarmingly shown up in January with the single signing of Carrillo for a ridiculous fee.

has the goalie got a new deal?

we dont let people run their contracts down, not a saintsy thing to do

trouble is i think they sold the idea to gao that them remaining running things as it was so succesfull in the past was the way to go.. the only football brain we have is les reed :)

Trouble is, what we see as a disastrous season, and being a **** hair's width from being relegated, Reed probably sees as an expertly judged and handled situation dealt with by bringing Hughes in at the right time. Relax. No panic. It was under control all along.

Reed and co think that Saints fans are easily pleased. Just staying up is enough for some. Then there are the 'clappers' doing a fine job for Les by shouting down, vilifying, and persecuting anyone who offers criticism or does not tow the club line.

Worries me when Hughes says “Got a talented squad”. But my sources say we will make signings and agents have been contacted today.

What sort of sauces do you have in Kenya, still got Hp and Heinz over there ?