Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

I've always thought Redmond would be decent playing centrally behind a striker.

He's not the best crosser and he doesn't naturally get to the by-line but he can accelerate enough to open up pockets of space, he has a decent first touch and he has a powerful shot with minimum backlift.

He had one of his best games playing more centrally last season, can't think which game it was now - maybe Everton away when he came on at HT and also scored? Seem to remember him getting back in the team and immediately playing left wing again, where he went back to being a bit crap.

He had one of his best games playing more centrally last season, can't think which game it was now - maybe Everton away when he came on at HT and also scored? Seem to remember him getting back in the team and immediately playing left wing again, where he went back to being a bit crap.

Didn't he come on in the cup semi final and look decent centrally?

If we do play him wide we should try to play him on the right. When he and Tadic swapped sides, during games, Redmond always looked better crossing from the right than trying to cut in on the left.

I agree. People are too quick to put him in the 'nippy winger' category, but he's not that type of player. I think this is why Pep likes him; a player who can play short, neat passes in minimal space to create openings, and when he's playing confidently he is a good finisher too. This is probably also why, at the beginning of Puel's reign, he tried to play him as a false 9. His strength is not beating a defender on his own, and I think this is why he comes in for criticism. He too often appears overly cautious, with a 'safe' pass backwards instead of taking on the defender, which he doesn't do because, simply, he knows it isn't a strength of his. A good manager will train his team to give Redmond a more positive outlet in that situation, rather than forcing him to go backwards or lose the ball by trying to take the man on.

I think as soon as he has a manager that can get the best out of him, and the fans realise the type of player he is rather than expect him to be, Redmond will be seen in a much more positive light.

Hmm are you trying to hipster this by claiming that he's an attacker whose great strength is playing short backward passes so as to not lose the ball under pressure?

Also, I think the whole 'Pep likes him' thing is absurd. Pep was annoyed that his team almost dropped 2 points because we didn't attack, so he grabbed one of our notional attackers and more or less asked him to question his life choices. It wasn't because he was robbed of the footballing joy of seeing Redmond in full majestic flight for 90 minutes.

Hmm are you trying to hipster this by claiming that he's an attacker whose great strength is playing short backward passes so as to not lose the ball under pressure?

Also, I think the whole 'Pep likes him' thing is absurd. Pep was annoyed that his team almost dropped 2 points because we didn't attack, so he grabbed one of our notional attackers and more or less asked him to question his life choices. It wasn't because he was robbed of the footballing joy of seeing Redmond in full majestic flight for 90 minutes.

:lol:

Not in the slightest. To say it another way... actually, **** it, I'll just repeat what I said: "A good manager will train his team to give Redmond a more positive outlet in that situation, rather than forcing him to go backwards or lose the ball by trying to take the man on."

I'm saying he and the manager have got to find a way for him to be more positive in order to be good.

SAINTS’ work in the transfer market is ongoing but Mark Hughes has revealed that his squad does not need a ‘radical’ overhaul.

Hughes has always been keen to stress that he sees good quality in his current team, even during the club's battle against relegation last season.

And Sparky knows he needs a few strong new recruits to strengthen Saints ahead of the 2018/19 campaign, rather than drastic changes.

The experienced Welshman has already signed-up midfielder Stuart Armstrong in a £7m deal from Celtic and £16m attacking midfielder Mohamed Elyounoussi from FC Basel, but the spending won’t be ending there.

Saints are understood to be in the market for a centre-back, with Jannik Vestergaard of Borussia Monchengladbach on the radar, while Barcelona’s Marlon Santos has also been linked with a move to St Mary’s.

Middlesbrough’s Ben Gibson has been on the club’s radar but it is said Saints are not considering a move for the 25-year-old at this stage, although could revisit a potential deal.

Manchester City’s young goalkeeper Angus Gunn could come in, while Fraser Forster, Sofiane Boufal and Guido Carrillo’s futures at Saints remain uncertain.

Boufal and club-record signing Carrillo have been left out of the club’s two-week training camp in China.

“I said at the time when I came in that I was scratching my head a bit in terms of how we found ourselves in this situation, because the quality and the ability of the players was there,” Hughes said.

“I could see that and they could see it themselves that they were underachieving and not playing as their ability should have allowed them to.

“We’re not making radical changes. We’ll try and improve, obviously players do leave and you have to make sure you get good players to replace them.

“That process is already happening as we’ve already seen and it’ll continue. It’s not about shifting everybody out and starting again.

“We’ve already done a lot of good work with the core of the group, so that will remain intact.”

Hughes has taken his side for their first training session in China today, with the squad focusing on fitness-based work at their base in Kushan.

The St Mary’s chief has been delighted with the club’s work in the transfer window so far and is looking forward to seeing Armstrong in action in red and white.

“He’s another guy at that stage in his career where he’s ready to take the next step, given his experience,” Hughes said about the 26-year-old.

“He’s played at a big club on the big stage and that’ll help him. I don’t anticipate him having any problems with him transitioning to the Premier League because he’s used to high level games.

“I’m looking forward to working with him. I’ve seen him play a lot and I’m impressed with what he can give you in the areas he plays in.

“He gives you an added goal threat, which maybe we’ve lacked. If we can add to the amount of goals we score, clearly that’s going to help us.”

Source: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/16327427.southamptons-transfer-work-ongoing-but-dont-need-radical-change/

Edited by SuperSAINT

If we do play him wide we should try to play him on the right. When he and Tadic swapped sides, during games, Redmond always looked better crossing from the right than trying to cut in on the left.

This is where his problem lies imo, when playing on the left he always checks back onto his right. I think Liverpool in the away semi final is the only time I can remember him actually going past someone on the outside left. He’s got to be the easiest player to defend against as he favours his right side every time, this also slows the game down a touch. I know playing on the opposite side is the modern way, particularly if you’ve got flying full backs that’ll overlap, but you must have a threat of going outside, even if it’s only 2 or 3 times out of 10. He played a bit better in one game when as you say he swapped with Tadic, went down the right and crossed. But if he played there every week, he’d soon be sussed out and they’d show him inside. Until he starts to possess more of a threat on his left side (whether from the right or left) I fear he’s going to be as frustrating as ever. Some top quality players have got away with being so one sided, he’s not good enough to be able to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not in the slightest. To say it another way... actually, **** it, I'll just repeat what I said: "A good manager will train his team to give Redmond a more positive outlet in that situation, rather than forcing him to go backwards or lose the ball by trying to take the man on."

I'm saying he and the manager have got to find a way for him to be more positive in order to be good.

If you were saying it another way, you might have said 'a good manager will train his team to work around the fact that Redmond is an attacker who has no real ability to attack.'

Redmond needs to be given a chance to prove himself again. Not too long ago he was in the England squad and he has the ability to get back in it. Yes, he had a terrible year last season but under Hughes I think he can kick on and find his form again. The fans need to get behind him as he is a player that plays much better with confidence.

Just because he scored a tap in?

He has been garbage for the last two seasons, and very injury prone.

£16m release fee - £60k wages - decent player just in a awful team with succession of bad managers

injury prone?

Nothing really new, but... Vestergaard latest.

VESTERGAARD TO SOUTHAMPTON?

Sky sources understand Southampton one of a number of Premier League clubs interested in Borussia Monchengladbach defender Jannik Vestergaard.

Initial talks between the two clubs have focussed on a transfer fee.

We are told West Ham United are also interested in Vestergaard, who was part of Denmark’s World Cup squad.

Been linked to Mateus Uribe who (after a quick google...) is a 27 year old Colombian international who plays for Club America in the Liga MX. He's in Colombia's squad for the World Cup

https://colombia.as.com/colombia/2018/06/07/futbol/1528325548_306693.html

Player profile here: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mateus-uribe/profil/spieler/214538

Scouting report: he can hit a mean f*cking shot.

Boufal has left. Done. Now needs replacing.
How ever will we replace a half assed performing seal who only wants to **** around with the ball irrespective of the game going on around him?

Is Adel Taraabt available?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

How ever will we replace a half assed performing seal who only wants to **** around with the ball irrespective of the game going on around him?

Is Adel Taraabt available?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I get your point, but we still need to replace the player that he was supposed to be. (AKA the Mane replacement).

It's seemingly standard for West Ham to be interested in any player wanted by another club.

It’s almost like a default setting for any football article, like a signature on a forum. Instead of ‘sent from my Samsung XGEDNDJ294JFJ4400’ it says, ‘West Ham and Everton are also interested.’

Would seem an odd signing.

Might be an indication that we're willing to sell Steven Davis. as that would only leave us with 3 central midfielders. Also assumes that Reed isn't considered good enough, and that Hughes wouldn't want to play JWP there.

Joao Mario is better than Reed and JWP (and quite possibly Lemina, Romeu and Hojbjerg as well) so would certainly improve both the squad and the team. We have bodies to fill those spots in the team, but they can definitely be improved upon.

Have been seeing the suggestions that Southampton could try to hi-jack the move of Shaqiri from Stoke to Liverpool. Sincerely hope not. I'm with the Neville brothers in not rating him very highly and have my doubts about him fitting into the Saints' squad. Now the Swiss are out of the World Cup, won't mind at all if Liverpool get on with signing him.

Have been seeing the suggestions that Southampton could try to hi-jack the move of Shaqiri from Stoke to Liverpool. Sincerely hope not. I'm with the Neville brothers in not rating him very highly and have my doubts about him fitting into the Saints' squad. Now the Swiss are out of the World Cup, won't mind at all if Liverpool get on with signing him.

neville-brothers-gary-phil-1.png

He doesn't strike me as a particularly gifted player, doesn't seem to really take a player on, doesn't have much pace, and to top it off seems pretty inconsistent. Thought he had a particularly poor World Cup, as well. Hope I'm wrong if we do sign him, but at present I'm not exactly thrilled by the idea of him signing.

He doesn't strike me as a particularly gifted player, doesn't seem to really take a player on, doesn't have much pace, and to top it off seems pretty inconsistent. Thought he had a particularly poor World Cup, as well. Hope I'm wrong if we do sign him, but at present I'm not exactly thrilled by the idea of him signing.

Thought he was crap to be honest. Would be really disappointed if that's the level we're looking at, it'd be such a squad player signing rather than improving the first team which is what we need.

We have no room for average attackers who can't score now. Must be better options out there.

He strikes me as an archetypal West Ham player.