Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

Oh god seriously? Thank goodness you were here to point that out. I was under the impression that loans were entirely free! Well that has certainly changed my outlook on football. Thanks very much.

:lol:

I'm pretty sure the guy is turning into a parody of himself. He's the Danny Dyer of football forums (but far less intelligent).

Bunch of hard men beating on MLG. I know he makes the obvious obvious but he was actually responding to someone who said about us not spending any more pennies with loans not being free. He's right, so why be d1cks about it?
Because it was staggeringly obvious that when he said "free" he was talking about not spending serious money in the form of a transfer fee. Only mlg- and yourself seemingly- is unable to understand and not for the first time.

Oh and lol at "beating" on mlg.

Because it was staggeringly obvious that when he said "free" he was talking about not spending serious money in the form of a transfer fee. Only mlg- and yourself seemingly- is unable to understand and not for the first time.

Oh and lol at "beating" on mlg.

Staggeringly obvious? If we're not spending pennies we can go for a loan. That's all that was said. How is that staggeringly obvious about not spending a transfer fee? If anyone other than MLG said it no one would care. But you carry on.

Staggeringly obvious? If we're not spending pennies we can go for a loan. That's all that was said. How is that staggeringly obvious about not spending a transfer fee? If anyone other than MLG said it no one would care. But you carry on.

It's about consistency as well - lots on here complaining about how we will not get any (or very little at best) loan fee and will have to subside most (seen up to 90%) of wages for players we have loaned out (or want to, FF etc.), so why would that not apply to us when we loan players from other clubs? How much did the last club Origi was loaned to pay Liverpool? Doubt it was much. Much better for Liverpool to try and grow an asset at another club if they are not part of their current plans. Targett is a perfect example for us - had he not been loaned to Fulham and done so well, they would not be offering £12M for him now.

After that ****e I’d throw the whole pre season strategy and go 4-3-****ing-3

——————-McCarthy———————-

-Cedric—Vestergaard-Yoshida-Bertrand-

——-Prowse—-Romeu—-Lemina

——Gabbiadini—Austin—Elyanoussi

Subs; Gunn, Stephens, Targett, Højbjerg, Armstrong, Redmond, Gallagher.

Res; Forster, Bednarek, Hoedt, McQueen, Valery, Reed, Davis, Sims, Long.

(Note: this will not happen)

Also - How does Hoedt seem to be a preferred starter, he is absolutely the worst of the 5 Center backs and has been consistently so since mid way through last season.

Extremely!!!. Another season struggling is the only prospect I can see.

Leaky defence. No goals at the other end. And lily livered midfield. Equals oh dear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I lie the fact some of the youngsters are being kept around. Now hoping they get actual minutes on the pitch.

Rather relieved we aren't panic buying at the end of the window to be honest.

I don't want us to panic buy. In January we identified the need for an additional striker that was significant enough to break our transfer record.

We let that player leave in the summer.

I expect us to replace that striker. If we needed someone of £20m calibre in January surely we need similar now.

This should have been worked on all summer because we have a black box where e monitor multiple targets for every possible position. Signing them in the end of the window needn't be a panic, just the sharp end of negotiations.

If this is really our squad for the season then we've all got something to panic about.

I don't want us to panic buy. In January we identified the need for an additional striker that was significant enough to break our transfer record.

I expect us to replace that striker. If we needed someone of £20m calibre in January surely we need similar now.

This should have been worked on all summer because we have a black box where e monitor multiple targets for every possible position. Signing them in the end of the window needn't be a panic, just the sharp end of negotiations.

If this is really our squad for the season then we've all got something to panic about.

Players the black box identify cost money and not just in the transfer fee but in the huge wages.

Last season we panic bought Carillo & we are still paying both for the huge cut of the van dijk fee we flushed down the toilet as well as the large percentage of his wages we are no doubt paying even while he's on loan.

Then there's gallagher who shouldn't have been loaned last season(especially without a release clause). Personally i'd prefer to see him given an opportunity this season than another carillo like punt.

Then there's the fact including gallagher & the new winger/striker elyounessi that we have 5 strikers in a team where we will start at most 2 of them.

If we had managed to sell a senior player on big money like long, i'd be supportive of re-investing those wages/fee elsewhere.

Players the black box identify cost money and not just in the transfer fee but in the huge wages.

Last season we panic bought Carillo & we are still paying both for the huge cut of the van dijk fee we flushed down the toilet as well as the large percentage of his wages we are no doubt paying even while he's on loan.

Then there's gallagher who shouldn't have been loaned last season(especially without a release clause). Personally i'd prefer to see him given an opportunity this season than another carillo like punt.

Then there's the fact including gallagher & the new winger/striker elyounessi that we have 5 strikers in a team where we will start at most 2 of them.

If we had managed to sell a senior player on big money like long, i'd be supportive of re-investing those wages/fee elsewhere.

Players cost money for all clubs. How come we cannot but unless it is off the back of player sales. And that is not just a knee jerk reaction since jan but a reflection of the last few years

Weird

Yeah, exactly. We identified a problem that needed fixing so critically that we let a dead-man walking joke manager blow £20m on it. And now we've got the same problems we had before then, plus Gallagher, who clearly seems to be rated below any of the others.

We've signed a promising looking winger but seem determined to play without wingers.

Great stuff.

It was a positive start to the window I thought, signing an attacking wide player, a number 10 type midfielder, a tall and dominant CB. A top GK prospect (assuming Forster had a suitor). All looked positive.

But we needed more in attack (a bit of a refresh in attack if we're being honest), there's a glaring gap for a number 9 in this team. Anyone can see that. So, failure to address our goal scoring, which has hindered us so much over the last two seasons, has the potential to make this another utterly disastrous transfer window.

Resorting to having to loan our last two record signings out (Carillo and Boufal) says it all for me. Recruitment has been absolutely shambolic for way, way too long now.

I have to say that our lack of pace, lack of power, lack of strength up top will hinder us. Austin will be injured for periods, can put that in now. Long will score 1 goal, and Gabbiadini may get 5 or whatever. That's not enough, never has been enough and never will be enough.

How are Bournemouth able to spend £27m on a player without selling anyone? Can anyone shed any light on that?

And also, if anyone is able to shed any light on WTF our new owners add to this club, I will be very grateful! At the moment, I've never seen a more pointless takeover in my entire life. I didn't think Kat would sell us up the river, but every day that goes by it seems as if the only reason we were sold were for her benefit so she could get a quick influx of money to help her.

Now we’ve been saddled with debt to a random Chinese nobody who hasn’t got the foggiest what he’s bought.

This club is in a right old mess behind the scenes.

It was a positive start to the window I thought, signing an attacking wide player, a number 10 type midfielder, a tall and dominant CB. A top GK prospect (assuming Forster had a suitor). All looked positive.

But we needed more in attack (a bit of a refresh in attack if we're being honest), there's a glaring gap for a number 9 in this team. Anyone can see that. So, failure to address our goal scoring, which has hindered us so much over the last two seasons, has the potential to make this another utterly disastrous transfer window.

Resorting to having to loan our last two record signings out (Carillo and Boufal) says it all for me. Recruitment has been absolutely shambolic for way, way too long now.

I have to say that our lack of pace, lack of power, lack of strength up top will hinder us. Austin will be injured for periods, can put that in now. Long will score 1 goal, and Gabbiadini may get 5 or whatever. That's not enough, never has been enough and never will be enough.

How are Bournemouth able to spend £27m on a player without selling anyone? Can anyone shed any light on that?

And also, if anyone is able to shed any light on WTF our new owners add to this club, I will be very grateful! At the moment, I've never seen a more pointless takeover in my entire life. I didn't think Kat would sell us up the river, but every day that goes by it seems as if the only reason we were sold were for her benefit so she could get a quick influx of money to help her.

Now we’ve been saddled with debt to a random Chinese nobody who hasn’t got the foggiest what he’s bought.

This club is in a right old mess behind the scenes.

wouldnt call the window utterly disastrous - it’s half job done would be my take - but otherwise spot on, esp agree with the Bournemouth spending which really does make us look small fry.

S-Clarke

Bournemouth can spend that sort of money because of the amount given year after year for being in this league.

It only here that we are conditioned to having to sell the Crown Jewels to spend big.

First it was because Cortese had (apparently) left is in a dire position

How dire was it that years later we still only spend what we make from player sales? Despite being (recently) the 18th richest club in Europe!

I think Turkish summed it up perfectly the other day

Remember when we were told Gao was going to take the club to the next level?!

We’ve spent the money, just a pity that the 45m spent are out on loan . I’m more happy with the signing of players like Armstrong than some of the gambles we have taken recently. They all seem the same light weight and not suited to prem. yes I know someone will quote Mane but the recent past has been bleak.

I don’t envy Bournemouth and think they are getting into the cycle we are now in just further down than them. I do wonder why we didnt take a chance on Mawson at 15m looks good bet at that price and is proven in this league.

Team really shown up against BMG yesterday against really big strong side we seem to lack any strength in all areas of the team

Wasn't one of the boards excuses for selling of big players a couple of seasons back that they needed to strengthen the depth of the squad? Maybe it was one of Ralph's pieces of wisdom? Anyway now seems like we are moaning about having to many average players which is pretty much where that got us.

It's pretty depressing as said above when the likes of Bournemouth and even newly promoted Fulham are smashing us in terms of showing ambition for record buys, it's not like we had no money when we sold van dijk that we couldn't try to push on and make a couple of big signings, but we still seem content to shop in the 10-20 mil bargain basement

It's pretty depressing as said above when the likes of Bournemouth and even newly promoted Fulham are smashing us in terms of showing ambition for record buys, it's not like we had no money when we sold van dijk that we couldn't try to push on and make a couple of big signings, but we still seem content to shop in the 10-20 mil bargain basement

Or smashing us in terms of throwing money at players. I'll judge their success on how good their buys turn out to be, not on how much they've spent. We've already seen stupid amounts being paid for average players, just because there's money sloshing around.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

A report in Germany claims that Hertha Berlin are interested in Hoj...

“After Max Meyer, with whom Hertha had flirted intensely, opted for Crystal Palace, Hertha reportedly sought after Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg (23). The Dane is, like Meyer, a versatile midfielder. After failing to prevail at FC Bayern (2012-2015), Höjbjerg has recently played two good seasons at Southampton FC.

No matter how advanced the negotiations are, nothing is signed yet.”

https://www.morgenpost.de/sport/hertha/article215010403/Hertha-sucht-noch-einen-Hochkaraeter.html

A report in Germany claims that Hertha Berlin are interested in Hoj...

“After Max Meyer, with whom Hertha had flirted intensely, opted for Crystal Palace, Hertha reportedly sought after Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg (23). The Dane is, like Meyer, a versatile midfielder. After failing to prevail at FC Bayern (2012-2015), Höjbjerg has recently played two good seasons at Southampton FC.

No matter how advanced the negotiations are, nothing is signed yet.”

https://www.morgenpost.de/sport/hertha/article215010403/Hertha-sucht-noch-einen-Hochkaraeter.html

mmmm doesn't sound like they did much research...

S-Clarke

Bournemouth can spend that sort of money because of the amount given year after year for being in this league.

It only here that we are conditioned to having to sell the Crown Jewels to spend big.

First it was because Cortese had (apparently) left is in a dire position

How dire was it that years later we still only spend what we make from player sales? Despite being (recently) the 18th richest club in Europe!

I think Turkish summed it up perfectly the other day

Remember when we were told Gao was going to take the club to the next level?!

Surely you are having a laugh if you ever thought we were going to the next level we did pretty well for a couple of seasons but that was never going to last

Cortese may have thought it but he was sacked after spending too much of somebody else is money.

Don't think Gao is going to waste his money on an impossible whim

Running a football club is not easy although you seem to think it is a piece of ****

This isn't to say that we are necessarily in a good position and done the right thing, but I think what has happened is that Pellegrino identified the need for a striker and the club backed him. Hughes believes that he can get more out of our existing strikers and wants our resources spent elsewhere, and the club have backed him on that.

This isn't to say that we are necessarily in a good position and done the right thing, but I think what has happened is that Pellegrino identified the need for a striker and the club backed him. Hughes believes that he can get more out of our existing strikers and wants our resources spent elsewhere, and the club have backed him on that.
Yeah, agree.

I'm not blaming the club or Hughes specifically. It's a shame if back-up keeper is/was higher on the priority list.

My opinion is that we really needed to start the season with a bit more up front than the same strike force as we had at the end of the January 2017 transfer window. It's amazing to me if we don't show some intent here.

Yeah, agree.

I'm not blaming the club or Hughes specifically. It's a shame if back-up keeper is/was higher on the priority list.

My opinion is that we really needed to start the season with a bit more up front than the same strike force as we had at the end of the January 2017 transfer window. It's amazing to me if we don't show some intent here.

Yeah GK is a bit of an odd one. Either the club have insisted on bringing Gunn in due to his potential or Hughes simply doesn't think Forster is good enough to be back up. If the latter then I back that.

My worry is that the club think they've got a bargain in Armstrong who will bring the best out of the strikers, but maybe he's just not that good

S-Clarke

They are following the exact same business model that The Skates followed. It’s funny how they were never put forward as an example of the way to go, but Boscombe are if it means having a dig at the club.

If you don’t want to take Skates as an example, take Villa, another club who hovered around 6/7th for 3 or 4 seasons, but couldn’t crack the top 4.

Let’s see what Everton spend, a bigger club than us that have never been relegated. Let’s see what they have to spend the next 5 years, and see where they are. With proper management tactics, sensible buys, we could live within our means and be mid table like them, having spent millions less. Far better than the **** or bust policy like others have tried and failed at before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah GK is a bit of an odd one. Either the club have insisted on bringing Gunn in due to his potential or Hughes simply doesn't think Forster is good enough to be back up. If the latter then I back that.

My worry is that the club think they've got a bargain in Armstrong who will bring the best out of the strikers, but maybe he's just not that good

My assumption was that Gunn's reputation is such that they're assuming there's a very strong possibility that he'll be a top-rank, £35m+ keeper in a couple of years tops. In other words, bought for the return-on-investment potential as much as anything else.

My assumption was that Gunn's reputation is such that they're assuming there's a very strong possibility that he'll be a top-rank, £35m+ keeper in a couple of years tops. In other words, bought for the return-on-investment potential as much as anything else.

Depends on the size of City’s buy-back clause.

Tenuous link to Kevin Malcuit, Lille right back. Supposedly us and Napoli in for him.
Malcuit has a Napoli medical tomorrow. That was is done and surely only hinted at an issue with Cedric - not sure anyone is buying the illness story.

Re the PEH link - If we had to sell Hojbjerg to improve the team elsewhere then I would.

He has been much better in interviews than on the pitch.

We just have to get a forward in. Even numbers wise we are down, having let Tadic, Boufal and Carillo go.

Surely you are having a laugh if you ever thought we were going to the next level we did pretty well for a couple of seasons but that was never going to last

Cortese may have thought it but he was sacked after spending too much of somebody else is money.

Don't think Gao is going to waste his money on an impossible whim

Running a football club is not easy although you seem to think it is a piece of ****

Good God this is so so tire some now - you might not have liked Cortese, which is fair enough, but to say that as chairman he spent too much of someone else's money is just plain daft (trying very hard to remain polite here). That is what Chairman and CEO's are hired to do, and also only when fully approved by the broad. Cortese left (yes left and not sacked) because he and the new owner (Kat) did not agree on club strategy, and Kat was completely entitled to make the final call as it was her club at the time. To suggest Cortese somehow embezzled Kat's (or club's) money without approval is so far off the mark and I would suggest libelous.

Good God this is so so tire some now - you might not have liked Cortese, which is fair enough, but to say that as chairman he spent too much of someone else's money is just plain daft (trying very hard to remain polite here). That is what Chairman and CEO's are hired to do, and also only when fully approved by the broad. Cortese left (yes left and not sacked) because he and the new owner (Kat) did not agree on club strategy, and Kat was completely entitled to make the final call as it was her club at the time. To suggest Cortese somehow embezzled Kat's (or club's) money without approval is so far off the mark and I would suggest libelous.
[emoji122] well said

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Players cost money for all clubs. How come we cannot but unless it is off the back of player sales. And that is not just a knee jerk reaction since jan but a reflection of the last few years

Weird

How many other clubs our size in the prem have the levels of big money signings(boufal, Clasie, Carrillo) now on loan elsewhere but essentially for the most part still stinking up their wage bill.

Our 3rd choice keeper is more highly paid than most team's first choice too. Man City may be able to get away with that but a club saints size that's gotta pinch.

Didn't we have about the 7th highest wage bill even before this window when we've added 5 & maybe shed 3 senior players.

How many other clubs our size in the prem have the levels of big money signings(boufal, Clasie, Carrillo) now on loan elsewhere but essentially for the most part still stinking up their wage bill.

Our 3rd choice keeper is more highly paid than most team's first choice too. Man City may be able to get away with that but a club saints size that's gotta pinch.

Didn't we have about the 7th highest wage bill even before this window when we've added 5 & maybe shed 3 senior players.

My guess is all of them. It’s just we dont know the minutia of every other club

Do you seriously think we're the only club who I've spent big money on rubbish? Jesus fu cking wept.

Leicester finally got shot of Musa this week.

Club record signing at the time £16m, barely played, hardly scored, shipped out on loan. Of course that doesn't get covered here.

In fact, the last time he would have been talked about was a couple of years ago when he was Leicester's record signing and evidence of them investing in the team and pushing on and why oh why weren't we in for him etc etc.

Also signed that summer by Leicester - Mendy £13m, sh it. Slimani, then club record signing £28m. Sh it.

Yeah, just us. Just us.

Edited by CB Fry

Do you seriously think we're the only club who I've spent big money on rubbish? Jesus fu cking wept.

Leicester finally got shot of Musa this week.

Club record signing at the time £16m, barely played, hardly scored, shipped out on loan. Of course that doesn't get covered here.

In fact, the last time he would have been talked about was a couple of years ago when he was Leicester's record signing and evidence of them investing in the team and pushing on and why oh why weren't we in for him etc etc.

Also signed that summer by Leicester - Mendy £13m, sh it. Slimani, then club record signing £28m. Sh it.

Yeah, just us. Just us.

Yes Leicester made a couple of dodgy signings after they made millions by winning the league & playing champions league. Musa that big bucks signing they managed to sell for 16.5m after he had a good world cup.

Leicester have also sold 83m worth of players and spent 79m so not exactly spending multi millions more than recouped.

We may not be the only club to have bought a dud but the volume we have is higher.

Yes Leicester made a couple of dodgy signings after they made millions by winning the league & playing champions league. Musa that big bucks signing they managed to sell for 16.5m after he had a good world cup.

Leicester have also sold 83m worth of players and spent 79m so not exactly spending multi millions more than recouped.

We may not be the only club to have bought a dud but the volume we have is higher.

They’ve also bought some decent players who’ll eventually go for big money -Maguire and N’didi being prime examples. Issue isn’t that we have bought duds -everyone does; the challenge is to hit jackpot with one or two players that can underwrite the misses and support further investment -something we’ve spectacularly failed to do in recent years.

how much was that?

They’ve also bought some decent players who’ll eventually go for big money -Maguire and N’didi being prime examples. Issue isn’t that we have bought duds -everyone does; the challenge is to hit jackpot with one or two players that can underwrite the misses and support further investment -something we’ve spectacularly failed to do in recent years.

It was only 6 months ago that we sold Virgil Van Dijk for a record fee for a defender. And according to many Saints fans, we were going to get significant fees for Bertrand, Lemina or Cedric this summer. Let’s not be revisionist here; we have a very similar track record to Leicester in the transfer market; in recent times we’ve both had failures such as Musa, Boufal, Slimani, and Carrillo, and there have been successes for both such as Kante, Wanyama, Drinkwater, Mane, Mahrez, Van Dijk and Maguire.

And let’s not even delve into West Ham’s track record. They’ve spent an awful lot on unsuccessful incomings and haven’t sold much at a profit. And the same applies for most of the remaining bottom 14.

I find it interesting that people are criticising the club for its poor record in the transfer market by making a comparison to Leicester. Ask any independent observer which Bottom 14 clubs have made the best use of the transfer market over the last 5 years and I reckon most would say Saints and Leicester.