Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

It was only 6 months ago that we sold Virgil Van Dijk for a record fee for a defender. And according to many Saints fans, we were going to get significant fees for Bertrand, Lemina or Cedric this summer. Let’s not be revisionist here; we have a very similar track record to Leicester in the transfer market; in recent times we’ve both had failures such as Musa, Boufal, Slimani, and Carrillo, and there have been successes for both such as Kante, Wanyama, Drinkwater, Mane, Mahrez, Van Dijk and Maguire.

And let’s not even delve into West Ham’s track record. They’ve spent an awful lot on unsuccessful incomings and haven’t sold much at a profit. And the same applies for most of the remaining bottom 14.

I find it interesting that people are criticising the club for its poor record in the transfer market by making a comparison to Leicester. Ask any independent observer which Bottom 14 clubs have made the best use of the transfer market over the last 5 years and I reckon most would say Saints and Leicester.

Let’s be clear: we signed VVD in 2015 -Maguire and Ndidi were signed in 2017. If this model is to be sustainable, we can’t rest on former glories (ditto with Bertrand and Cedric who, at any rate, are unlikely to command much of a premium relative to their replacement cost).

The fact is that we’ve now singularly whiffed in the transfer market for 2-3 years. At the very least, we can’t have resources locked up in players who, right now, have no prospect of returning the fee we paid for them. With little talent coming through the Academy, where is the money going to come from to strengthen some pretty glaring holes in the squad?

It was only 6 months ago that we sold Virgil Van Dijk for a record fee for a defender. And according to many Saints fans, we were going to get significant fees for Bertrand, Lemina or Cedric this summer. Let’s not be revisionist here; we have a very similar track record to Leicester in the transfer market; in recent times we’ve both had failures such as Musa, Boufal, Slimani, and Carrillo, and there have been successes for both such as Kante, Wanyama, Drinkwater, Mane, Mahrez, Van Dijk and Maguire.

And let’s not even delve into West Ham’s track record. They’ve spent an awful lot on unsuccessful incomings and haven’t sold much at a profit. And the same applies for most of the remaining bottom 14.

I find it interesting that people are criticising the club for its poor record in the transfer market by making a comparison to Leicester. Ask any independent observer which Bottom 14 clubs have made the best use of the transfer market over the last 5 years and I reckon most would say Saints and Leicester.

Charge levelled at Tottenham, they largely wasted the Bale money. Eriksson yes obviously. Lamela maybe. Who else is left?

The Spurs squad is worth about 1 billion and Leicester won the league 2 seasons back.

Bizarre to use them to defend against our transfer fails

If I recall correctly, even Levy agreed they'd wasted the Bale money. It was part of the reason they brought in Pochetino to develop and promote from within, and Mithcell to find better value targets. They have been successful at that, but they certainly wasted the opportunity immediately post-Bale.

If I recall correctly, even Levy agreed they'd wasted the Bale money. It was part of the reason they brought in Pochetino to develop and promote from within, and Mithcell to find better value targets. They have been successful at that, but they certainly wasted the opportunity immediately post-Bale.

Very true and we’ve stopped playing the youngster again.

SO no rumours then really...going to be a long season if we don't bring anyone else in...

Only way I think something will happen is if a club offers us silly money for either Lemina or Cedric.

Obviously depends on us getting a replacement in quickly.

Still think Reed will go out on loan.

Everytime anyone suggests playing a youngster on here its normally met with a barrage of posts saying they aren't good enough.

Personally I'd like to see Gallagher and Sims get a chance but it doesn't look likely.

Agreed and agreed. This place is becoming really unbarable in the last week or so. I am glad the season is almost here and doubly glad there was a world cup to distract people for most of the summer!

Too many just love signings, the more expensive the better. They'll write them off quickly and demand more signings but it won't change.

Personally I hate the transfer market now, it's a joke. If Shipperley, Watson, Dowie etc were playing today they'd be £20m strikers who guarantee you that magic 6 or 7 goals a season and can hold the ball up.

The not good enough thing for youngsters is ridiculous. They need chances to show it, and to improve. You have a few average games from a youngster, they learn from it. If the potential is there, it'll help them. You have average games from Long, Davis, Austin etc, you get nothing.

It's not about them coming in and being Premier league stars. It's about them doing as useful a job as Long, Redmond, Davis and so on. Sims has shown he can do that, the bar is fcking low. Why go and spend more and risk more Boufals, Ramirezs etc? If Sims has a good month or two in this league, you've got a £20m player rather than having spent it.

Gallagher is the most crazy one. Decent young striker, big guy, a few goals and he'd be worth a fortune. We can't afford to let him go. Yet we spend a year playing Long and signing Carillo. One goal between them, £20m in fees gone, huge wages gone. Utterly crazy way to run a club.

Spot on.

Everytime anyone suggests playing a youngster on here its normally met with a barrage of posts saying they aren't good enough.

Personally I'd like to see Gallagher and Sims get a chance but it doesn't look likely.

I was surprised Valery wasn't asked to come on over for the recent friendlies rather than play left footed right backs.

Noticed that Sims didn't get a run out this week. I really rated him from the glimpses we saw. Is it fair to say that Hughes doesn't then?? What is the point of him now sitting on the bench for another year. Waste of a good talent

Every time I've seen him play I've been impressed. Can't understand why he wasn't given more match time last season.

Noticed that Sims didn't get a run out this week. I really rated him from the glimpses we saw. Is it fair to say that Hughes doesn't then?? What is the point of him now sitting on the bench for another year. Waste of a good talent

Wonder if it is a tactic by Hughes to get the club spending money. He wants a new attacking player, the club tell him to use Sims instead, so he stops using him to make it clear that he doesn't think he is good enough. Meanwhile, he lets it be known to the fans that we are unlikely to make new signings, so the fans start to whinge and put pressure on the club to spend a bit of cash...

Will the club blink first?

Interested to see how things play out this week for a bunch of talented youngsters who CDAJFU but are likely to be frozen out this season at their bigger clubs: Loftus-Cheek, Tammy Abraham, Kurt Zouma, Patrick Roberts.

It'd be nice to think we're at least "monitoring" these things...

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Interested to see how things play out this week for a bunch of talented youngsters who CDAJFU but are likely to be frozen out this season at their bigger clubs: Loftus-Cheek, Tammy Abraham, Kurt Zouma, Patrick Roberts.

It'd be nice to think we're at least "monitoring" these things...

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I take it loans (at least among PL clubs) have to be sorted by the transfer deadline day?

Would rather him than Welbeck, but I’d be surprised if we did a deal at this stage.

Not a huge Welbeck fan (who is?) but think given where we are he'd be pretty decent for us.

Every time I saw Paco this year for barca this year I never thought he looked great, but was interested as we'd been linked before and came away every time thinking he'd have gone down the Juanmi road with us despite definitely being a better player. He's hardly going to have people teeing him up here like he gets from Messi, coutinho etc.

And it wouldn't happen anyway

I doubt we are going to stump up £115,000 a week wages.......

Not that I want Wellbeck, but it makes me laugh when I see things like this, expecting us to pay all his wages, yet the forum experts on here seem to think we are paying the majority of Carrillo, Boufel, and soon to be, Forster’s wages.

Would it be doable to get Hudson Odoi from Chelsea for a year loan?

The kid is going to be superb, he is only 17 though and whilst I think he will see game time at Chelsea this season I reckon he would get 20-25 matches at Saints, even at 17. Are you able to even loan out a 17 year old?

Would it be doable to get Hudson Odoi from Chelsea for a year loan?

The kid is going to be superb, he is only 17 though and whilst I think he will see game time at Chelsea this season I reckon he would get 20-25 matches at Saints, even at 17. Are you able to even loan out a 17 year old?

that would be amazing but he seems to be starting games pre-season and doing well, maybe too well to loan out

Sarri has done something rather remarkable for Chelsea and said that Odoi is going to be a part of the 1st team squad.

Let's hope he reads the Express!

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/999198/Callum-Hudson-Odoi-Chelsea-Eden-Hazard-Community-Shield

Maybe we can tell Chelsea that to facilitate Hudson-Odoi's development, we can take Hazard on loan instead :)

This week is dragging so much. No real rumours to discuss and still ages until Sunday.

If anyone else is as bored as me this is a fun little quiz, trying to name the most played players each season of this century. Really highlights the state of the team we had in the Championship...

https://www.sporcle.com/games/BelgianGuy/top-xis-southampton-fc

I got 81% if you insist on asking.

This week is dragging so much. No real rumours to discuss and still ages until Sunday.

If anyone else is as bored as me this is a fun little quiz, trying to name the most played players each season of this century. Really highlights the state of the team we had in the Championship...

https://www.sporcle.com/games/BelgianGuy/top-xis-southampton-fc

I got 81% if you insist on asking.

That was something to kill some time! Got 84%...

It's kinda depressing, as it shows how good we were 3 years ago....and how bog average we are now.

But yeah, doesn't compare to our Championship wilderness years. James, Gillet...crikey.

Yet again, people against playing Sims, Gallagher, Ward Prowse, Slattery etc.

People in favour of massive signings, despite - Boufal, Ramirez, Osvaldo, Carrillo...could even add Hoedt and Gabbiadini to that list in some ways. We've spent fortunes on record strikers the last 2 january windows. Let's not keep throwing money at a problem when it's clearly not that answer.

We haven't had a decent manager to form a coherent team, improve players and get them attacking since Koeman. That's the biggest problem. I'm tired of seeing players get worse or stand still.

This. Judging success on the basis of net spend and thinking football is about star players rather than teams, team spirit and coaching the best out of players is becoming the norm.

All encouraged by prima donna players and their agents, and of course the media.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This. Judging success on the basis of net spend and thinking football is about star players rather than teams, team spirit and coaching the best out of players is becoming the norm.

All encouraged by prima donna players and their agents, and of course the media.

How about coaching, team spirit and also getting in one or two stars like mane or alderweireld. It's not an either or thing.

How about coaching, team spirit and also getting in one or two stars like mane or alderweireld. It's not an either or thing.
Those two wouldn't come, we couldn't afford the transfer fees and the unjustified wages they'd demand would blow our business model apart.