Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

Makes Mane at just over £30m look an absolute steal. Salah too of course.

The days of spending £20m on proven quality are well and truely gone.

Which is what plenty of us said at the time...we undersold Mane definitely.

However - I don't believe anyone would consider paying £40m for Grealish.

Which is what plenty of us said at the time...we undersold Mane definitely.

However - I don't believe anyone would consider paying £40m for Grealish.

I agree, even with the home grown premium. Suggests to me that comes from Villa as a softening up piece for their fans after the Play Off final defeat. Tallies with their owner's statement as well about reigning in wages and spending. Cardiff proved you can still be competitive at that level without a Wolves-style spree.

Would we want him? Yes, but past conduct would be a question mark. I also think Saints will look into the European market for that type of player for greater value, try to find another Mane shining in a smaller league with the attributes of extreme pace and taking people on. Does Grealish still play without shinpads as well, or have I just mis-remembered that? Would see that as an injury risk if so, but sure they have found a solution since I saw the original reports.

Would be surprised if he went to Leicester. Sure, midlands club but if you want to play attacking football and be encouraged to express yourself, a Claude Puel team might not be the best option.

Really hope at some point people wake up and realise youth players are worth a shot. Not just at Saints. Given them games and see what they can do, otherwise you'll be ****ing away huge sums on signings.

We spent near £20m on a striker and don't even give him a chance. £17m on one the year before who doesn't play. People expect Bales and Walcotts but you can get a long way just from producing players to compete with what you have. Given how utterly pathetic most the squad and management were last season, it's a pretty low bar for incoming academy players.

I'm sure coaches / managers are aware of the quality of our younger teams from training / u23 games.

Enough have been broadcast on YouTube for us to realize we don't have players coming through at the moment.

I'm sure coaches / managers are aware of the quality of our younger teams from training / u23 games.

Enough have been broadcast on YouTube for us to realize we don't have players coming through at the moment.

Would Gallagher really have been much worse than Carillo last season?

Gallagher Didnt have a recall clause, so that's irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant since the point Adrian was making is that we consciously made a decision not to give youth a chance and to buy in expensive players. Had we decided to give Gallagher some game time this year then we wouldn't have bought Carillo and would probably have ended up with a better player. Harrison Reed was good enough to be in the squad a few years ago, what has changed? Likewise Targett. I'd rather see them

Edited by hypochondriac

It's not irrelevant since the point Adrian was making is that we consciously made a decision not to give youth a chance and to buy in expensive players. Had we decided to give Gallagher some game time this year then we wouldn't have bought Carillo and would probably have ended up with a better player. Harrison Reed was good enough to be in the squad a few years ago, what has changed? Likewise Targett. I'd rather see them
We thought we had enough with Austin, Gabbi and Long and thought Gallaghers development would be best served with game time in the Championship, rather than not getting into a match day squad. That's perfectly reasonable, especially when you're only planning to have one front man on the pitch.

Hopefully with Hughes we will use formations with more forwards on the pitch at once, but being 4th choice for one place in Pellegrinos formation is crazy.

We thought we had enough with Austin, Gabbi and Long and thought Gallaghers development would be best served with game time in the Championship, rather than not getting into a match day squad. That's perfectly reasonable, especially when you're only planning to have one front man on the pitch.

Hopefully with Hughes we will use formations with more forwards on the pitch at once, but being 4th choice for one place in Pellegrinos formation is crazy.

Yes, we made a choice to loan out youth players and let other teams play them. It's a choice we obviously wouldn't have made under pochettino.

I have been sent an interesting photo via WhatsApp but reluctant to post it. Basics are what positions we are scouting. Could be a fake.

Yes of course a document like that would end up on your WhatsApp.

What next the clubs bank balance?

If they are good enough they will be picked. Simple really.
An odd thing to say considering all of our players who have been out on loan have played for us at various points. Reed was good enough a few years back when we finished mid table but not good enough for a team finishing 17th?

An odd thing to say considering all of our players who have been out on loan have played for us at various points. Reed was good enough a few years back when we finished mid table but not good enough for a team finishing 17th?
Being at Norwich has given Reed the added flexibility of playing RB, RM, CM or DM. His time there could potentially benefit us.

At least we may have cover for RB now.

Edited by Nolan

I have been sent an interesting photo via WhatsApp but reluctant to post it. Basics are what positions we are scouting. Could be a fake.

Thanks for the update. Glad to see we’re active in the market. Hopefully you have the confidence to post it one day, ignore the trolls.

Love n light

Played when last resort or cup games. If we had full 11 fit Reed, Jwp, Targett, Sam G and others won’t start. They all want to play so need to find their level. Bye to them all.

Played when last resort or cup games. If we had full 11 fit Reed, Jwp, Targett, Sam G and others won’t start. They all want to play so need to find their level. Bye to them all.
And yet we performed so poorly without them last season. Would we have been worse with those four in the team? I suspect not.

Certainly no reason why they all couldn't be part of the matchday squad next season, you could argue JWP should be starting most games and wouldn't be a problem is Targett was first choice. Gallagaher would be an option off the bench, and Reed is decent, he probably just needs to go and play though now and we're very strong in that area.

Certainly no reason why they all couldn't be part of the matchday squad next season, you could argue JWP should be starting most games and wouldn't be a problem is Targett was first choice. Gallagaher would be an option off the bench, and Reed is decent, he probably just needs to go and play though now and we're very strong in that area.
Exactly. We wouldn't get relegated with them in the squad and fans would much rather give them a chance than see long for the 100th time. I'd genuinely rather see some achievement with some homegrown youngsters than a bunch of foreigners who don't give a toss and who will be off the first chance they get anyway.

Isn't he just a taller, younger Shane Long with slightly better ball control?

He's only had one season in his career when he's got into double figures for goals, the rest of the time he's been pretty mediocre.

Except he doesn't put in half the effort shane long does, doesn't win it in the air as well and doesn't hold it up as well.

Shane long is massively underrated. Yeah he doesn't score many, but a lot of premier league strikers don't score many and don't do much else either.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Except he doesn't put in half the effort shane long does, doesn't win it in the air as well and doesn't hold it up as well.

Shane long is massively underrated. Yeah he doesn't score many, but a lot of premier league strikers don't score many and don't do much else either.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Long played 1580 minutes in the PL and managed 2 goals and 1 assist. Among PL strikers who made any meaningful number of appearances, there aren't many less productive. I appreciate his effort and he is surprisingly good in the air, but his record speaks for itself - he hardly ever scores and rarely picks or executes this right pass when he has possession.

We simply cannot afford another season where Shane Long is our most-played striker. He should be a desperation third choice, getting about 500 minutes a season tops.

Which is fantastic, if you like losing games without scoring and talking afterwards about how proud you are of the effort we put in and how we deserved something from the game.

Which is fantastic, if you like losing games without scoring and talking afterwards about how proud you are of the effort we put in and how we deserved something from the game.

Or you can buy Josh King and lose even more games because he brings even less to the table than Shane Long...

If you want to replace Shane Long with someone better I am all for it, but ffs lets not just buy for the sake of it - that gets you Carrillo.

Or you can buy Josh King and lose even more games because he brings even less to the table than Shane Long...

If you want to replace Shane Long with someone better I am all for it, but ffs lets not just buy for the sake of it - that gets you Carrillo.

Not saying I’d have King or Carrillo. I just don’t see how a striker who is consistently behind quite a few defenders in the scoring charts can be described as ‘massively underrated’.