Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

I don’t believe we should write Carrillo off and based on his record, he could certainly do a job in the Prem.

His league record is 191 games (7 of which for Saints), 43 goals. The 7 games Saints would be an unfair assessment IMO based on the fact MP had less than no idea what he was doing and the senior pro’s at the club spent the season embarrassing themselves rather than showing any effort to help the younger guys, especially new additions.

Hope he gets a fresh go at it next season myself.

Personally don't think his record wasn't even good before he came here. Only one season where he scored over 10, about 1 in 4 average over his career.

With evidence that he's not a goalscorer i'd be looking for something else but he doesn't hold the ball up or even harry people with his pace like long.

Get rid.

I know you're trying to be funny' date=' but this is the type of post I really hate on here. No value add just cynicism. [/quote']

Could you add CBFry to your list? When he does a straightforward comment fine, but finding them is a rare event.

Point taken, so write him off after 7 games then.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

What a bizarre response. Its so black and white for the usual people on here. How about hoping he comes good whilst realising it would take a huge change for that to happen? It's not "writing him off" as you incorrectly claim, it's being realistic and commenting on performances thus far and during most of his career.

But it's equally acceptable to want to see him some more before a full assessment is made. The evidence isn't looking good but equally his opportunities last season were not in an ideal situation.
It is but you certainly shouldn't be pilloried because you've formed your opinion quicker than others. We had people swearing that Gaston hadn't had a proper run for example right the way up until he was sold. Of course Carillo could show huge improvements - any player could- but its perfectly reasonable to have the opinion that that doesn't look likely at the moment.

This Carillo debate is difficult to ignore. Especially as it is in a thread about potential new signings.

Obviously both sides are correct. No, he didn't hit the ground running. He doesn't look like he will make it here because we are judging him by scoring 0 goals in a terrible MoPe side. But, yes he could still come back. He's only played 7 games for us. He's got a full preseason with a manager who played in his position. He could turn him in to something very good for us.

You don't need to be in one camp or the other.

Not watched enough of him to see where he would fit but Villa are skint so would Grealish be worth a punt ?

Yes, but the £30m/£40m price is somewhat laughable.

I'd start with a £4.5m offer to pay their HMRC bill and see what they say.

Grealish looks good but Maddison seems to offer more end product.

Yes, but the £30m/£40m price is somewhat laughable.

I'd start with a £4.5m offer to pay their HMRC bill and see what they say.

Grealish looks good but Maddison seems to offer more end product.

Hahahahahhahaa I can probably buy half of Villa for that, I was thinking more like 10mil, will go check out Maddison as he has become a uber trendy transfer rumour in the last couple of days from what I have seen.

On another note we want 15mil For Gabbi from Parma according to the Italian news but they are waiting for the price to drop.

Hahahahahhahaa I can probably buy half of Villa for that, I was thinking more like 10mil, will go check out Maddison as he has become a uber trendy transfer rumour in the last couple of days from what I have seen.

On another note we want 15mil For Gabbi from Parma according to the Italian news but they are waiting for the price to drop.

I can't decide what I want to happen with Gabbi. I like him & I feel he's been under-utilized by us, but I suppose it depends if he's Hughes' cup of tea or not. If he's not, then there's no point keeping him.

The same know it alls that wrote of Mane (after a couple of games) now doing same with Carillo.

Give the guy a chance ffs

When he's ready to be written off I'll let you know

yes, deserves a chance. hasn't looked good thus far, but then no-one could under that twit of a manager we used to have.

Watching that, I'd be surprised if a bigger team than us didn't come in for him. Unless there are serious doubts about his defensive contribution

think he would be a huge upgrade on redmond. definitely adds more goals, can see why big clubs like bayern saw potential in him at one stage theres obviously a good player in shaqiri very tricky low centre of gravity and built like a tank for his size

Article on Everton's complete disastrous transfer policy over the past season.

Apparently Morgan is for the exit. Would like to see us move for him if I'm honest.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5810361/Marcel-Brands-admits-Evertons-high-wage-bill-means-selling-players-prove-tricky.html

Also, hilarious to be able to look at the complete fools everton have made of themselves.

Article on Everton's complete disastrous transfer policy over the past season.

Apparently Morgan is for the exit. Would like to see us move for him if I'm honest.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5810361/Marcel-Brands-admits-Evertons-high-wage-bill-means-selling-players-prove-tricky.html

Also, hilarious to be able to look at the complete fools everton have made of themselves.

Indeed it is, but some still swoon about their ambition and how much better and more successful the will be compared to us, sadly they will do no

better than we have... they will never break the top six

Di Marzio says West Ham in for Felipe Anderson from Lazio. No mention of other clubs.

Has barely been a solid suggestion re Saints so far this summer. Hoping (optimistically) that we are doing our business quietly.

What a bizarre response. Its so black and white for the usual people on here. How about hoping he comes good whilst realising it would take a huge change for that to happen? It's not "writing him off" as you incorrectly claim, it's being realistic and commenting on performances thus far and during most of his career.

Nothing bizarre about the response at all, it's as i understood your original post. Good to see that you've now come round to my way of thinking though and want to give him more time. I agree - to date he has shown little, but as I said before, with better coaching, in a better organised team, he may come good, certainly I would expect him to improve. I believe his stats have him as about a 1 in 4 goal rate - cant be assed to check - but let's face it that is much better than Shane and people are happy for him to stay.

Di Marzio says West Ham in for Felipe Anderson from Lazio. No mention of other clubs.

Has barely been a solid suggestion re Saints so far this summer. Hoping (optimistically) that we are doing our business quietly.

Yeah, I hope for the best on that one too. Then I think back to January's shambles....

Il Tempo (newspaper based in Rome) saying we would hold the advantage if Gabbi was included...

http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-upper-hand-e40m-brazilian-part-striker/

Where would Morgan fit in? He's a tidy possession player and largely defensive. Hojbjerg is just a younger model of him, and with more potential now. Can't see what the point would be.

Hojberg is not a younger version of Morgan and certainly not a tidy possession player. Sadly Morgan seems to be a shadow of the player he once was having said that I'd still rather have him than Hojberg in the team....

Hojberg is not a younger version of Morgan and certainly not a tidy possession player. Sadly Morgan seems to be a shadow of the player he once was having said that I'd still rather have him than Hojberg in the team....

No thanks.

Hojberg, OR and lemina are a good balance if you ask me. I wouldn’t want OR & Morgan in the same side, it would be way too pedestrian. Hojberg adds a bit of energy. OR has been a better player the past 2 seasons, there’s no way I’d leave him out for Morgan. If he wants to come a sit on the bench, then that’s fine, provided his fee and wages reflect that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No thanks.

Hojberg, OR and lemina are a good balance if you ask me. I wouldn’t want OR & Morgan in the same side, it would be way too pedestrian. Hojberg adds a bit of energy. OR has been a better player the past 2 seasons, there’s no way I’d leave him out for Morgan. If he wants to come a sit on the bench, then that’s fine, provided his fee and wages reflect that.

I'm personally of the opinion that Morgan would walk into our side. We nearly got relegated with that midfield last year.

Hoj talks a good game but lacks mobility and strength, Romeu was absolutely diabolical last season. Lemina and Morgan would be a great pairing in my opinion.

One of the reason's we've regressed is because we failed to correctly replace both Morgan and Wanyama.

I'm personally of the opinion that Morgan would walk into our side. We nearly got relegated with that midfield last year.

Hoj talks a good game but lacks mobility and strength, Romeu was absolutely diabolical last season. Lemina and Morgan would be a great pairing in my opinion.

One of the reason's we've regressed is because we failed to correctly replace both Morgan and Wanyama.

And Virgil & Fonte, and Pelle & Mane...etc

No thanks.

The trouble is OR isn’t fit to lace the man he replaced boots (Wanyama).

We don’t need Morgan back, Lemina can do that role and is a better player. We need to effectively replace Wanyama and add aome much needed protection in front of our back 4/3.

William Carvalho Would fit the bill, but he won’t come cheap so will probably be out of our reach.

If we sold Lemina, and Morgan is available at around £15m.... I would def consider it.

That doesn't mean he's going to accept his current wages. It also doesn't mean that the deviation between their highest and lowest paid isn't greater than ours.

You just out pedanted the wannabe pedant king. Good work.

Whats' more interesting/alarming is that the article states that Aston Villa's owner is having trouble getting money out of China........

Difference is our money doesn't come from the owner. Ours comes from sales of players & TV money.

Whats' more interesting/alarming is that the article states that Aston Villa's owner is having trouble getting money out of China........

One of the reasons cited for our take over taking so long.

If the prices quoted for the players in the article is true then for me it’s a bit of a no brainer.

Fag packet maths alert: I know we made £62.5m from the VVD transfer after Celtic took their cut, then spent £19.2m of it on a striker, leaving us with a tidy wedge, on paper, but keep in mind that TV income fell a lot and wages will no doubt have risen, so some of that income may need to cover the difference.

16/17 - broadcasting income £143m (includes £15m Europa league money)

16/17 - wages £112m

17/18 - broadcasting income £107m

17/18 - wages £120m???

Whatever the accurate figure, our wage bill is bloody high compared to turnover and the two first team players out of contract players leaving won't bring it down much, especially if they are replaced by other senior players. The wage bill will rise by a few more million if we have to pay McCarthy Forster-like wages. It feels like there is not much room for manoeuvre with players like Davis, Forster, Boufal, Clasie and Carrillo all earning huge wages but not really justifying them. Offloading some of these wages is going to be essential if you want to add bring in big earners.

VVD would have had massive wages so him leaving would have reduced the wage bill.

VVD was probably on about £70k, which is what our top earners are on roughly.

Carillo is probably on £50k, at least. It won't make much differnence in comparison to the drop in revenue.

VVD was probably on about £70k, which is what our top earners are on roughly.

Carillo is probably on £50k, at least. It won't make much differnence in comparison to the drop in revenue.

I've heard Carillo is only on around £12K a week but got a huge massive signing on fee. Presumably for tax avoidance reasons.

In other news, BBC Gossip column has us linked with two young Villa attackers. One winger, one striker.

Left winger, apparently.

Apparently so. Another one he really rates is Leko at West Brom. I think Saints need to be the club that bridges the gap between promising football league talent and the top 6. If we aren't going to compete with the best and have now seemingly accepted our place as a small club, this would be the next best thing for our reputation and to make use of the facilities.