What if Swansea make up 9-point goal difference?

Singapore Saint

What happens if Swansea make up the 9-point goal difference e.g. Swansea beat Stoke by 3 goals and City beat us by 6 on the final day? How do we decide who gets relegated: toss a coin?

In the scenario you outlined with both on the same points and GD... Saints would stay up due to scoring more goals this season (27 GF vs 37 GF).

Swansea require a 10 goal swing in GD in order to stay up.

Edited by Matthew Le God

But they hate Hughes and would love to see him relegated. I'm probably being super paranoid.

Do they? You really think they would put their careers on the line to lay down vs Swansea and get done for what amounts to match fixing?

These guys have egos, no way they want to be remembered as the chumps who laid down and lost due to a grudge.

It's just a bit unnerving, isn't it? Should be fine, obviously...I'm not expecting Stoke to deliberately lose 8-0 or 9-0.

But I suppose a 5-0 win for Swansea and a 5-0 loss for us is just about plausible on the pessimistic extremes.

The bookmakers make us about 100/1 to still be relegated.

79-0 v 67-0

Nigerian MOTD must have been a good watch.. 72 goals on 2nd half which wouldn’t have thought possible.

Nigerian clubs suspended after 'scandalous' scorelineshttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23240104

Edited by whelk

City have already got their goals scored record and any sort of win will give them 100 (like any of their players really care about that more than not getting injured for the WC) If they did go 2 goals ahead, they will probably coast along in 3rd gear for the rest of the game and Swansea wont be scoring 8 any time soon.

I'd imagine Stoke players have win bonuses in their contracts so there's always that, plus Lambert probably wants to make a claim to be manager next season.

If it did happen however, it would be the most hilarious relegation in the history of relegations, obviously not from our point of view.

I personally think we'll give City a good game, we'll be buoyed from Tuesday and most of their players will probably only play at 70-80% I reckon as they won't want to get injured for the World Cup when they have nothing to play for.

Guardiola has said he wants 100 points, but they have broken every record so it's a meaningless game for them, whereas our lads will know there is the risk and will want to give the home fans a good send off after such a miserable season. They owe us a performance against a top 6 side.

Plus you are expecting Swansea to suddenly come out with 5 or 6 goals after they have scored just 2 in what the last 10 games?

Finally Lambert will want to put on a good performance to confirm him keeping the Stoke job next year and he'll want to get some of the players he wants to use next year in that team so I can't see Stoke going there and getting rolled over.

All these players are professional, they won't happily take getting beaten 5-0.

You would hope that no players personal pride wants to be relegated as the rock bottom of the table team.

Alongside that if Jack Butland is in goal, seeing as he is in competition with Jordan Pickford for a starting England spot, he won’t be wanting to queer his pitch by shipping a shed load of goals in the final game of the season.

I'd imagine Stoke players have win bonuses in their contracts so there's always that, plus Lambert probably wants to make a claim to be manager next season.

If it did happen however, it would be the most hilarious relegation in the history of relegations, obviously not from our point of view.

And many of the Stoke players will be looking for new job offers after Sunday.

I could see swansea winning 3-0.

Sean Dyche sides don't usually get stuffed by five goals, and for that reason alone I won't be 100% confident until its done and dusted. As it happens, I have a feeling we'll go behind, but keep it to one goal before levelling very late in the game.

I could see swansea winning 3-0.

Sean Dyche sides don't usually get stuffed by five goals, and for that reason alone I won't be 100% confident until its done and dusted. As it happens, I have a feeling we'll go behind, but keep it to one goal before levelling very late in the game.

How is Sean Dyche relevant?

How is Sean Dyche relevant?

What I meant was that nothing else, his sides are usually set up very well defensively. Burnley don't ship many goals, the are where they are on the back of that, they aren't a fluent goal scoring machine but they are solid in defence and hard to beat. I wouldn't have expected them to get stuffed five nil by anyone, even allowing for the "wenger just resigned" factor, but at this stage of the season odd results crop up. It's not unimaginable that citeh could run riot in the last game of the season, and if arsenal can put five past burnley....

Anyone thinking we'll go down is an idiot, and anyone putting cash on it deserves to lose their money. We'll lose, Swansea may win, but there ain't gonna be a 10 goal swing.

Given they have just told their manager Sunday is his last game come what may dont worry yourselves too much about any of the coaching team/players giving a ****. Any vaguely slim chance they had just got a whole lot slimmer !!

Given they have just told their manager Sunday is his last game come what may dont worry yourselves too much about any of the coaching team/players giving a ****. Any vaguely slim chance they had just got a whole lot slimmer !!

Really? Doesn't sound like a very smart move to me. Then again neither was appointing that American idiot Bradley so I guess

this must be considered as par for their owners.

Really? Doesn't sound like a very smart move to me. Then again neither was appointing that American idiot Bradley so I guess

this must be considered as par for their owners.

Yeah BBC Sport breaking news about 15 mins ago. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44064957

Why the hell would you announce that three days before the last match ? Seriously ?

And we think have some numpties running this club :mcinnes:

Yeah BBC Sport breaking news about 15 mins ago. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44064957

Why the hell would you announce that three days before the last match ? Seriously ?

I suppose that Carvalhal could have insisted on knowing his fate before the last game. Then again that doesn't sound all that smart either given that his contract runs out at the end of the season anyway..

So Stoke has only conceded more than 2 goals once under Lambert, and that was at Arsenal. Meanwhile Swansea is in free fall, bickering among themselves, and haven't scored in 2 consecutive matches. I actually think Stoke wins this. On our side I bet Hughes packs the box and uses his Chelsea "counter attack" game plan keeping it close. I could see us losing 3-1, and I guess the Swans winning 3-1 (just for conversation), but that still falls well short of 10.

This is actually one of those games where you still keep playing as if it’s 0-0 even if you’re 3-0 down. If a top flight team defends every single situation like the whole result depends on it they’ll not get beat by more than 4. The 5,6 and 7’s you see are because sides jack in. The other side of the coin, is why would city bust a gut when they’re 3 up. Make no mistake if City needed to get 7 to win the league, I reckon they could do so. But they don’t. Provided we are serious, the worst that could happen is 3 or 4. If Swansea put 6 or 7 past Stoke, good luck to them. Personally I think we’ll get beat 3-1 and they’ll draw 2-2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I was Mark Hughes I would be playing it very tight from the off, allowing plenty of time to take throw ins and goalkicks etc and trying to keep the score down until the last quarter, a bit like Wigan did, albeit against 10 men.

My nightmare is having a player sent off early doors and being 3-0 or 4-0 down at half time with Swansea a couple or three goals up.

Dont think I could bear the second half.

Still fair play to Swansea if they were able to turn it round but serious questions would have to be asked a la Bruce Grobelaar v Spurs and the Wimbledon keeper in their last game at Everton several years ago.

In the ultra-unlikely event of us and Swansea ending up equal on points, goal difference and goals scored, there'd be a play-off match according to Prem League rules. I'd hoped it would be decided by head to head results but apparently not

In the ultra-unlikely event of us and Swansea ending up equal on points, goal difference and goals scored, there'd be a play-off match according to Prem League rules. I'd hoped it would be decided by head to head results but apparently not

You'd think so eh but Sky and the Prem love all that extra $$$$$$

From Wales On-line, pretty funny:

"Bookmakers William Hill are offering odds of 100/1 on it happening, while others are even saying it's a 150/1 shot. The Swans are now 1/1000 on to be relegated.

To put the odds into context, you can get the same odds on Swansea staying up now as pop star Kanye West winning the next Presidential election, UFOs being proved to exist by 2020 and temperatures hitting 45c in the UK this summer."

Too fool us into thinking that they think its all over so we think its all over and that they really think its not all over so that they beat Stoke by a large amount and we lose by a large amount proving it was never all over.

Based on everything that's happened so far this season, I can't see Swansea winning at all, let alone by the margins that some are bandying about.

"Nightmare" scenarios of Swansea being 3 up and us being 3 down at half time just won't happen, no bloody chance.

Another season in the Prem next year.

I fancy Stoke to make a game of it now the pressure's off. They've often taken the lead and crumbled under pressure this season but won't have the same nerves on Sunday. And they're facing the worst attack in the league.