Player/Goal of the Season

Jimmy_D

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-05-10/southampton-fans-player-of-the-season-vote-2018

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-05-10/southampton-goal-of-the-season-award-1718

In case you hadn't seen, votes for Saints' Player and goal of the season are open until 5.30pm Saturday.

I know McCarthy is sticking out for me because of recent heroics playing a huge role in us (probably!) staying up, but it still goes to him for me. Yoshida a close second.

Can't see past Boufal for the goal against West Brom. It still gets better every time I watch it.

Player: Alex McCarthy

Goal: Boufal

Although Gabbiadini’s first goal vs Newcastle at home was good, as was Bednarek vs Chelsea (good technique)!

I gather from the options and the description provided for the goals vote where it says ‘Will it be a spectacular strike that you go for, or will it be a goal with significant meaning?’

Boufal’s goal vs WBA was neither :lol: It was all about his dribbling, pace and composure that. Maybe the club don’t want us to vote for it :D

Whatever anybody thinks about Boufal, and I think he is a prat of a snowflake, he scored an unlikely, brilliant individual goal running at least seventy yards unassisted and finished clinically worth two points against relegation rivals. There is also a good argument for Gabbiadini's goal against Swansea being the most important of the season, without it we were probably going down. Personally I'd give it to Gabbiadini.

I voted Macca. Easy pick really. He deserves it.

As for goal? I chose Gabbi vs the swans. Not a pretty goal but who cares? It's the goal that lifted the burden on my shoulders. Immense feeling and overwhelming joy. Saved our season and did one over on the cheating swans. Top lad.

Would have chosen Boufal but after his antics he can do one. He will probably win it anyway though.

McCarthy player of the season.

Boufal goal of the season.

Same.

Loved Cedric's goal in the cup too.

Honerable mention to Romeu, Hoj for improved performance, Lemina for improving performance after a poor spell, Yoshi for dependency, Austin for continuing to get shots on target.

If you can't bring yourself to vote for Boufal for the goal, has to be Lemina's against West Brom. Great technique and it's an absolute screamer in a crunch game

Why wouldn't you vote for comfortably the best goal any team has scored in the Premier League this season, never mind just us?

Lemina's shot was great, but you see 30 of those a season in the division, dribbles past entire teams where defenders run into each other, notsomuch.

Whatever anybody thinks about Boufal, and I think he is a prat of a snowflake, he scored an unlikely, brilliant individual goal running at least seventy yards unassisted and finished clinically worth two points against relegation rivals. There is also a good argument for Gabbiadini's goal against Swansea being the most important of the season, without it we were probably going down. Personally I'd give it to Gabbiadini.

That isn't how "Best Goal" competitions work though. It's meant to be the best piece of technical skill, not the shovelled in rebound from 2 yards that happened to occur at the most important time... and if that's the criterion, Boufal's goal was also the only goal of the game against a side that would otherwise be a point behind us even now with one match to play, so we would probably need to beat Man City to stay up if he hadn't scored it.

Same.

Loved Cedric's goal in the cup too.

Honerable mention to Romeu, Hoj for improved performance, Lemina for improving performance after a poor spell, Yoshi for dependency, Austin for continuing to get shots on target.

Have to point out that if "Dependable Yoshi" had been on the pitch at the end of the Everton game we would have had 11 players, not 10, and would (surely) not have been so much on the back foot and more able to withstand the pressure. His sending off was entirely avoidable in my view

Have to point out that if "Dependable Yoshi" had been on the pitch at the end of the Everton game we would have had 11 players, not 10, and would (surely) not have been so much on the back foot and more able to withstand the pressure. His sending off was entirely avoidable in my view

Yes... once he was on a yellow card he needed to be a bit more careful... but that first yellow card was astonishingly harsh.

Goal has to be Boufal's

Player I am going Austin, I think if he had been fit the whole season we would have been much higher, he must have a better points per game ratio for games he's played in than the other players.

Player I am going Austin, I think if he had been fit the whole season we would have been much higher, he must have a better points per game ratio for games he's played in than the other players.

Thats ridiculous. If he looked after his conditioning better he wouldn't have missed so many games.

Also got a 3 match ban at a hugely vital time because he randomnly decided to lick their keeper in the head. It didnt matter because of the injury, which is kind of ironic.

Went with the consensus to be honest. Alex for player of the season, came in when we were in a difficult situation and confidence in front of him was pretty low. Did all the things that Fraser didn't - commanded his area, caught the ball, punched the ball, good distribution, made saves (some damn good ones too) - probably instilled confidence back into those in front.

As for Goal of the Season - got to give an honorable mention to Mario at West Brom. We've gone one nil down early on and needed to get back into it. Me and the boy were in the away end right behind it when he struck it and you could tell straight away it was only going in one place - top goal and put us back in command.

But got to give it to Sofiane, it was one of those goals that you remember for a lifetime. The only thing about it was that it didn't belong in that horrible, negative drab affair of a game. West Brom were as horrible as ever that day, wasting time, hoofing it, clogging players, and we were not much better. I think it was about 85 minutes when he scored and probably some had already left - damn glad I never, and it was a top goal. Everything about it, skill, composure and great finish - also it gave us 3 points.

It's been a pretty awful season on the whole, but there have been a couple of highlights, so it's not all doom and gloom and we get to do it all again next year.

Considered voting for Yoshida for POTY, but ultimately went for McCarthy.

Boufal for goal of the season. Maybe he'll come back next season and be great. Maybe Lemina will prove to be an even bigger d1ck in the long term (didn't Lallana win everything a few weeks before he wanted to go on strike?) If van Dijk had scored it that would be different, but as things stand I felt it was right to judge it purely on the goal itself.

Boufal and McCarthy as well. Bit of a no brainer

The West Brom game was terrible. Foster wasting time from the first few minutes. Typical Pulis side. Boufal's goal was just so unexpected in the context of the game that it made you laugh. Pity he did nothing of note after that game.

McCarthy just does the basics right, as well as making a number of great saves in recent games. Comes for crosses, is not afraid of clattering his own teammates to get the ball, and is able to get down quickly. Should have been in the team much earlier in the season. Teams had worked out Forster's weaknesses and were deliberately shooting low.

Thats ridiculous. If he looked after his conditioning better he wouldn't have missed so many games.

Also got a 3 match ban at a hugely vital time because he randomnly decided to lick their keeper in the head. It didnt matter because of the injury, which is kind of ironic.

Getting a hamstring injury is his fault now?

The club look after his conditioning, if they didn't think he was fit enough they'd make him fitter, he is just injury prone.

He's still IMO been our most consistent and best player when he's played, and has been vital to the points we have actually won this season, the team looks wholly better with him up front than without him.

In the 9 league games he started we -

Won 3

Drew 4

Lost 2

Scored 12

So 1.44 points per game.

1.33 goals per game.

In the other 28 games we managed -

0.82 points per game

0.89 goals per game.

Edited by tajjuk

I voted Tadic goal vs Bournemouth. It was hugely important and gave us some belief and spirit going into the Everton and Swansea games. It was also great technique and took balls too - he'd normally have passed in that situation but he stepped up that day. Love Tadic and loved his goals that day. No Tadic, no party.