Guard of Honour?

whelk

Isn't the guard of hounour thang usually done once by the first team that the champions play after they've secured the title? Swansea have already given them a guard of honour this season for example... https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-guard-of-honour-14551753

But I'm all for us doing it if it makes them be gentle with us :)

Edited by trousers

When did football start doing this guard of honour nonsense? I'm sure i don't remember it when i was younger and yet now it's turned into some huge deal if people don't do it.

Yeah definitely a recent thing and quite pathetic really.

Bit like non celebrating goals against ex teams and people saying ‘class’. More like w@nkers.

No. I want the team to go full on Vinnie Jones on them, ball grabbing, ridiculously high kicks, general foul play, f**k 'em. Scare them and their world cup chances so they don't want the ball. Then park the bus anyway and lump it up passing the midfield to a target man, get it in the mixer.

No. I want the team to go full on Vinnie Jones on them, ball grabbing, ridiculously high kicks, general foul play, f**k 'em. Scare them and their world cup chances so they don't want the ball. Then park the bus anyway and lump it up passing the midfield to a target man, get it in the mixer.

Sounds like the ideal way to get the 7-0 drubbing we don’t want...

I would hope so, by far the best side in the Premiership this season. Deserve it.

It just seems a bit unnecessary to me, especially if they've received it once already.

Perhaps it's more meaningful if a fellow title rival gives you a guard of honour, but is Kevin de Bruyne going to feel massively humbled because Jack Stephens is giving him a round of applause?

Just another example of when something happens occasionally or for the first time, it has meaning and is memorable, then everyone jumps on the bandwagon, it almost becomes expected, and in the process becomes a bit of a bore or annoying.

Eg players not celebrating a goal, a minute's silence for anyone remotely famous, a minute's applause, applauding at a certain minute of the game to acknowledge something or someone etc.

No, they've already had one, much simpler way to placate them. Agree a 1-0 defeat and to sell Redmond for £60m to them as Guardiola clearly loves him, sounds like a fair deal all round to me! Obviously if Swansea are 9-0 up, they have to let us equalise in the last minute too and we'll knock £10m off the Redmond price tag. :lol:

A grad of honour for what exactly? Being a buch of show-boating dilettante effing multi-millionaires who have ruined the PL as a competition and English football for everyone else.

Sod that for a lark! Sunday is not the time to star gaze and collect sky blue shirts. Time to show our own lads a bit of respect, they've had bugger all from most fans all season.

We all know you aren't one for accuracy....

They have 105 league goals in 2017/18.

Genuinely no one gives a sh*t about the branded name of the top flight of english football except for geeky weirdos with nothing better to do in their lives.

Genuinely no one gives a sh*t about the branded name of the top flight of english football except for geeky weirdos with nothing better to do in their lives.

I was correcting the account of someone using an alias account and did so with a :p after the post.

I was not being entirely serious Eric!

I would hope so, by far the best side in the Premiership this season. Deserve it.

Indeed they are and deserve the respect as the best.

I can see them improving next season and beyond with Pep as he a fantastic coach, bit of a worry for the rest of the 6 i think as they try to keep up.

I guess one of the others will get Silva in to make the step closer.... :)

A grad of honour for what exactly? Being a buch of show-boating dilettante effing multi-millionaires who have ruined the PL as a competition and English football for everyone else.

Sod that for a lark! Sunday is not the time to star gaze and collect sky blue shirts. Time to show our own lads a bit of respect, they've had bugger all from most fans all season.

:lol:

The money thing is ridiculous argument as we would trade their owners in a heartbeat.

Fact is money has ruled the game for decades not just recently. The numbers have got astronomical granted and Leicester apart has determined the league title more often than not.

A point made earlier in the thread that buying 25 players at £50m+ still doesn't automatically guarantee success. It goes a long way to helping but Guardiola (sp?) has still worked that team into the team of the season in the league.

Saying all that I'm not fussed either way tbh. Might show a bit of class by us to do it as it's effectively a dead rubber (I think we have done enough, just about).

And having said all that I still want Saints to try and beat them otherwise what's the point? Hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard. Let's see if City are on the beach or focussed on not getting injured.

I'm more annoyed at their fecking parade on Monday as it fecks up my commute majestically.

The money thing is ridiculous argument as we would trade their owners in a heartbeat.

Who’s “we”? I wouldn’t. I mean, I’d like my club to be stable and not worry about what the owners are going to next, but in terms of pumping unlimited money in so that my club can buy who they want and focus on being a “global brand”? No thanks.