Don’t buy this ‘Only Hughes’ option

Pilchards

According to BBC website a few days ago talks have already started to keep Hughes on to next season. I was doubtful at the beginning (just wanted rid of MoPe), but Hughes seems to fit the club where it is now. He has managed to get the team playing as a team, simply by playing a system that suited the players at his disposal, not by a fixed 4-2-3-1. The players clearly like him because they know where they stand - and he has no patience with prima donnas (Boufal). So I would be happy for him to stay.

The thread title is a little misleading because no one is trying to 'sell' a decision on the managerial appointment but retaining the incumbent is obviously a strong consideration. It's a matter of judging the benefit in recruiting another manager but also the disadvantages for the squad who have now worked for 8 weeks under Mark Hughes and his team. Appointing someone new always carries a risk and the last two decisions to appoint candidates without Premier League experience didn't end well, whereas Hughes has delivered what was aksed of him.

It's also important to decide what the club's objectives are because the experience of the last 4 years suggests a need for a fundamental reappraisal. If breaking into the top four is the objective, then you might want one of the top managers in football but the club must also have the resources to attract top quality players and be able to hold onto them when the wealthy clubs come to lure them away. The Financial Fair Play rules prevent clubs such as ours from competing in the spending market because we don’t have the commercial income of those other clubs. Owners cannot plough money into their teams because after Chelsea and Man City, the drawbridge was pulled up. We are not the only club to have our best players stolen away as shown by a quick glance at the squad lists of the top six clubs.

This suggests we must reluctantly settle for top half/mid-table security by using the best players we can get and accept that the best of those will move on after we've had 2 or 3 years out of them. So, coming back to the Mark Hughes debate, he fills the requirements of being a competent and experienced Premier League and international manager. Given the club's recruitment abilities and the Academy, he can be given the tools to develop the squad and refresh it as players move on. Of course, he isn’t the only option, but there is plenty of evidence to suggest that keeping him and his coaching staff would give the team the best start for the new season and potentially, for the next few years.

not with the current squad it isn't.

Why do you say that?

WBA never had a better squad than us but Moore came in and made them a better outfit.

Think it’s about playing for your manager and pride which is something that we have lacked for a few years.

Depends if the clubs and Hughes’ aspirations and ways of working match or if they think getting some one in like Julian Nagelsmann now would be better considering the current squad, the fabled pathway and whatever ever transfer budget there is to bring players in.
We have no chance of getting him, all but lined up for the Bayern job

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think it is a good and valid question. I had pretty complacently assumed that it would be an no brainer to keep him on for next season, but some of the points raised, especially about the number of managers who have had a good short term impact at the end of a season, but struggled the season afterwards, should be taken into account.

However, with Hughes, I get the impression his problem lies after 2 or 3 seasons, especially looking at his Blackburn and Stoke stints. He had good records there with them for a few years, then fell away. If we can have a decent season next year, a good steady lower end of the top half, with some good signings and with a bit of luck, do a Burnley and finish best of the rest and get Europa league, then that seems a positive. I can't think that there are many other managers available who would be realistic, and this summer, there are other far more attractive jobs available.

So, all in all, I think he is the best man for the job at the moment.

Totally agree with Hughes that things need to be sorted quickly after the season ends, that is absolutely vital with the shortened transfer window and the current state of our squad.

Also makes a mockery of the calls for Reed and Krueger to go, those are the people who will be needing to make this quick decision.

Why do you say that?

WBA never had a better squad than us but Moore came in and made them a better outfit.

Think it’s about playing for your manager and pride which is something that we have lacked for a few years.

Hoedt not good enough, Stephens not good enough, Yoshida not really good enough several other players have been poor for two seasons even this mini revival under Hughes is a bit smoke and mirrors. Despite playing five at the back and two holding midfielders we still look very vulnerable at the back (thank goodness for McCarthy hitting some serious form) plenty of players are still playing poorly. we need a total rebuild of the back line to compete in the top of the table imo.

Edited by doddisalegend

I didn't really want Hughes and I am still doubtful he will get us punching above our weight, however -

1. Any faffing around now for a new manager would set us back for transfers, we need to overhaul the squad and identify our targets early.

2. He deserves it, I think many of us thought it was too late and we are down.

3. The players seem to get on well with him and have reacted to his management.

4. He has previously managed to turn smaller teams into pushing nearer the top 6 in Fulham and Blackburn IIRC.

I didn't really want Hughes and I am still doubtful he will get us punching above our weight, however -

1. Any faffing around now for a new manager would set us back for transfers, we need to overhaul the squad and identify our targets early.

2. He deserves it, I think many of us thought it was too late and we are down.

3. The players seem to get on well with him and have reacted to his management.

4. He has previously managed to turn smaller teams into pushing nearer the top 6 in Fulham and Blackburn IIRC.

Sums up exactly how I see it. As soon as stoke sacked him I posted on that thread that he seemed nailed on to come here, but I wasn't thrilled by it. He arrived far too late yet still had enough about him to turn it around, so I'd be all in favour of him staying on now.

I expect his aspirations will be higher than us though. Already linked with Arsenal, and Hoffenheim in the CL again next season. This is one of our problems, the established and proven names are unlikely to be interested, and not sure we can allow Reed to indulge over the summer months in trying to find 'someone like' who might fit the prototype we're after (perhaps the selection method used for MP, who was hoped to be Poch II).

It all depends if the manager ‘blueprint’ is thrown away for the PL experience which Hughes has.

The idea of an up and coming Manager (like Julian Nagelsmann) but with a personality (unlike Puel) that players can respect and a tactical ideology (unlike Pellegrino) players understand and buy into.

I don’t know if there are any managers in the Championship or League One of that ilk - as there seems to be a media black hole below the PL, but perhaps Hannes Wolf or Sandro Schwarz who are just starting out could be future stars in the game.

The thing is, is that he’s had an audition of sorts and done well. We won’t get that with other managers, we’d have to roll the dice and hope they were a good fit. Puel and MoPe didn’t fit, Poch and Koe did. Might be a better option to not risk it and give him the job.

If they do, then they have to let him do it his way, his tactics, his formation, his lineup. Koeman was criticized for going against the club style. Well of course he did, the club style wasn’t working, you’ve got to be able to mix it up and evolve. If they can stay out of the way we should be back in the top half next season.

Let's be real our board isn't going to go for Ancelotti, Vieira or anyone too expensive.

The way I see it is we either take a punt on another unknown foreign manager and possibly end up with pellegrinos demented cousin or something, or just keep the bloke who kept us up.

For me the choice is easy. Keep sparky.

A Stoke fan told me the other week though that "it will only take one Mark Hughes transfer window to destroy your squad." Or something to that effect.

Personally I think the bloke deserves at least one more season.

He did a very job but still not enough goals and still conceding goals late on.
What do you expect within 8 games? He's done more than enough to justify getting the job permanently. There is important work to do on the squad, appoint Hughes now so we can get on with it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

He did a very job but still not enough goals and still conceding goals late on.

Give him the summer/ pre season a new CB and CF and we could easily challenge for 7/8th next year.

I’d love a big name but it has to be Hughes. The players like him, the fans like him and he’s significantly improved us.

Give him the summer/ pre season a new CB and CF and we could easily challenge for 7/8th next year.

I’d love a big name but it has to be Hughes. The players like him, the fans like him and he’s significantly improved us.

Not sure we need a new striker, although if Gabbiadini and Carrillo both leave then we probably will, can't rely on Austin staying fit. We definitely need a centre back, someone established. The big question though is who, there aren't many good ones about.

He's won two games.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

He's taken a squad with no confidence and who have suffered constant Set backs and bad luck and got the team playing solidly with 3 at the back.

He's got to points needed to stay up and the squad now are in a position to have small changes and we win games against the teams we need to next season.

It's interesting to look at WBA, as when it's about Saints people just get too emotional. They have a squad that was comfortably mid table, plenty of experience, some decent players and seemingly, a few good signings. Plenty were suggesting they'd strengthened where we hadn't last summer.

I can't imagine many would have said Burnley had a better squad than them last summer. I'm still not convinced the squads are that different. But that's management for you. If Dyche had been at WBA all season, I'm sure they'd be 7th or 8th rather than relegated. But they had Pardew and we had Pellegrino.

People seem desperate to make excuses for these managers by just making out players aren't good enough. It's always that simplistic, players aren't good enough, even if they're proven they are before.

With 7th-20th so open each season it's never been more important to get the right manager. It's not some vast chasm between success and failure, it's good management. We weren't safe after years of 6th-8th. Like every one else outside the elite, we're a poor manager away from a relegation battle.

#deluded

Point being?

2 in 8 after a fuking mess of a season

Point being in relation to the OP about Hughes seemingly being nailed on for the job. He's not the Messiah - he took over when we were 17th and that's where we've finished.

He's done the bare minimum to be considered for the job full time, but is that how low our bar is set now? Is he the outstanding candidate in all of footballdom?

I hope the club have been weighing up more than one option over these past few months. We've been "making do" and muddling through with barely adequate replacements for far superior players for two years now - do we want that policy seeping into the management and coaching set-up too?

Good luck to him if he gets the gig, but I can't help feeling it would be a strong commitment to mediocrity for club that claims to be ambitious and progressive.

Although I'm sure once Les has briefed his favourite media mouthpieces, the spin will be about how it's all part of a wider plan to achieve excellence through British beef and poodle perms or something.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Point being in relation to the OP about Hughes seemingly being nailed on for the job. He's not the Messiah - he took over when we were 17th and that's where we've finished.

Yes, we were in 17th place, but we were on a downward trajectory. Just because we ended up 17th under Hughes doesn't mean that's where we would have ended up under Pellegrino. Hughes halted the slide and finishing 17th is mission accomplished.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Yes, we were in 17th place, but we were on a downward trajectory. Just because we ended up 17th under Hughes doesn't mean that's where we would have ended up under Pellegrino. Hughes halted the slide and finishing 17th is mission accomplished.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I agree. We were going down under Pelligrino. I

It's interesting to look at WBA, as when it's about Saints people just get too emotional. They have a squad that was comfortably mid table, plenty of experience, some decent players and seemingly, a few good signings. Plenty were suggesting they'd strengthened where we hadn't last summer.

I can't imagine many would have said Burnley had a better squad than them last summer. I'm still not convinced the squads are that different. But that's management for you. If Dyche had been at WBA all season, I'm sure they'd be 7th or 8th rather than relegated. But they had Pardew and we had Pellegrino.

People seem desperate to make excuses for these managers by just making out players aren't good enough. It's always that simplistic, players aren't good enough, even if they're proven they are before.

With 7th-20th so open each season it's never been more important to get the right manager. It's not some vast chasm between success and failure, it's good management. We weren't safe after years of 6th-8th. Like every one else outside the elite, we're a poor manager away from a relegation battle.

so to its to simplistic to blame the players but not simplistic to just blame the manager....:lol:

Not sure we need a new striker, although if Gabbiadini and Carrillo both leave then we probably will, can't rely on Austin staying fit. We definitely need a centre back, someone established. The big question though is who, there aren't many good ones about.

I am. We can't scrape through another season without a goal scorer. We don't have one in midfield either.

Whatever happens we need a manager who’s willing to mix it up. We’ve been the most predictable in last 2/3 seasons and have been worked out. Need something different up our sleeve when the patient, methodical approach fails. If he can get the recruitment right then happy to give Hughes a go. He’s passionate at least and after those last two that has to be a big plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we back where we belong, relegation struggle and a great escape DVD. MH deserves a contract, he may not want the job if the budget is set low. I think there will be a big management merry go round this summer so it will be interesting who ends up where.

Are we back where we belong, relegation struggle and a great escape DVD. MH deserves a contract, he may not want the job if the budget is set low. I think there will be a big management merry go round this summer so it will be interesting who ends up where.

Not if the saints social media team have anything to do with things.

I am. We can't scrape through another season without a goal scorer. We don't have one in midfield either.

Absolutely. And it's been this way since Mane and Pelle left. Then we also lost JRod and essentially replaced him with the clown's non-scoring joker from Monaco.

In summary:

Austin - Can score, but we all know about his injury record, and even when fit rarely lasts 90 minutes.

Gabbi - Can score, but inconsistent and the formation has to be just right for him.

Long - Works hard but can't score.

Carrillo - Can't do anything.

Get rid of the clown's clown and bring in an Austin who is fitter. If Gabbi and/or Long go they need replacing too. It's a long season.

In 2008, we should have kept Pearson but decided not to renew his contract and ended up with Poortvliet and Wotte.

I feel 2018 is the same situation all over again. Sparky has come in and deserves to get the job full time. We need to rebuild and he is exactly the bloke to do the job IMO.

I can’t thank Mark Hughes enough on how he has rescued us from certain relegation, However I can’t help thinking we must have other options out there?

Reed and Co will have learnt a valuable lesson in employing the useless Puel and Pellegrino as they wanted another Pottychino style manager but it’s clearly backfired.

Mark Hughes is a safe option that will have us playing okay football and flirting around 10-12th in the league.

I want more than this, I want us to get a manager that will go to the top 6 clubs and take the 3 points plus get us European football again.

We have the money so let’s see how ambitious GAO really is?

Who could we get if we offered a 100m transfer kitty plus good wages?

Leonardo Jardim, Carlo Ancelotti, Brendan Rodgers, Joachim Low, Patrick Vieira or Tuchel are options if we sell the club to them.

Thoughts?

We will never offer a 100 mil transfer kitty and most of those managers would never join little old Southampton. Hughes has some previous with us and has earned a permanent role by doing what he was employed to do. No way would Pellegrino have acheived the same.

He's earned a longer deal for me. I think he's been here enough time to asses the squad, he knows what we have, what we won't have and what we need. It would be pretty dumb to ditch him now and get someone else who would have to asses the squad all over again.

I think he wants an answer pretty quickly, but going by the way the club ****ed around with Puel then I'm not holding my breath.

He's earned a longer deal for me. I think he's been here enough time to asses the squad, he knows what we have, what we won't have and what we need. It would be pretty dumb to ditch him now and get someone else who would have to asses the squad all over again.

I think he wants an answer pretty quickly, but going by the way the club ****ed around with Puel then I'm not holding my breath.

Agree, more so given this summer has a World Cup and the transfer window shuts mid August now.

Be utterly daft not to keep Hughes on. Which worries me lol

Yeah, I hope we don't take a month doing our post-season review like last year.