Don’t buy this ‘Only Hughes’ option

Pilchards

I think the view that Hughes hates any flair and creativity is a lazy assumption that isn't really backed up by what we has done at other clubs, Stoke included. I thought he had actually worked hard to improve their style of play after the Pulis Stoke years and signed quite a few flair players, some of which worked out and others didn't. Typically of the Stoke fans, I think they ended up complaining about this and said they wanted to go back to hoof ball!

I think he will insist on commitment and effort from the players as well and I don't see anything wrong with that after the insipid performances we have had to put up with over the last couple of seasons.

I understand that, just hoping we could find a slightly more inspiring/exciting choice of manager going forward. I'm not suggesting a gung-ho Maradona-style manager, but I've seen enough of the purely hard-working, disciplined teams to know that style doesn't work for long at Premier league level. The popular assertion that Hughes will bring stability does not seem to be evidenced through his experience at other clubs. As for alternatives, it is tricky but that does not mean we shouldn't try. Aim for the stars, if you fail you may land on the moon.

The popular assertion that Hughes will bring stability does not seem to be evidenced through his experience at other clubs.

He has something like 8/11 top 10 finishes, and 3-4 top 10 finishes with Stoke. For me that points to him being able to bring stability. Most managers these days have a shelf life of 3-4 years before it starts to go stale. But I think his record in the Prem, given the clubs he has managed, is pretty decent.

I work with teams and understand the psychology that surrounds being part of one - don't, for one minute, under estimate the strong bond that will have been created between hughes, his coaching staff and the team through the eight games he had with us. In a few short games he will have over turned the toxic, destructive and weak mentality that had been established with our last two managers. The transformation in team spirit, in such a short space of time, was exceptional and you could see it in the way they played and the way they celebrated with each other. Hughes has vast experience of the premier league and, rarely for us, has history with our club. Appointing him properly will maintain this momentum and take the positive feeling into next season.

By the same token, I worry that not appointing him might be a bit deflating for the players. In that case, the new manager would have to make an immediate impact to get players onside.

So, c.48 hours since Krueger implied Hughes was pretty much a shoe-in, and no news on a new contract. Typical Saints dilly-dallying or something else afoot?

Probably don’t want the news to be overshadowed by WBA announcing Moore.

Wont be Saturday as it’s F A Cup day.

Maybe Sunday if nothing is happening?

Probably don’t want the news to be overshadowed by WBA announcing Moore.

Wont be Saturday as it’s F A Cup day.

Maybe Sunday if nothing is happening?

Why on earth do we need to wait for a news slot?

Stoke have not in announcing lambert is out

Why on earth do we need to wait for a news slot?

Perhaps because it is the role of the club's media department to get as much positive coverage of the club to the largest audience as possible. They don't want to announce things at 4am, they want things when most people are listening to news/on the internet.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I think they’re concerned that this massive announcement may deflect attention from the royal wedding. Perhaps the establishment have been on to the club asking for a delay . Or maybe an agreements been made in principle but both sets of legal bods are dotting the i,s and crossing the t’s, before announcing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, c.48 hours since Krueger implied Hughes was pretty much a shoe-in, and no news on a new contract. Typical Saints dilly-dallying or something else afoot?

Nah they just love keeping us on here on edge.... well! the more impatient ones at least...

Perhaps because it is the role of the club's media department to get as much positive coverage of the club to the largest audience as possible. They don't want to announce things at 4am, they want things when most people are listening to news/on the internet.

They must have loved it when Cortese was having his little battle with The Echo and always did press releases just after midnight when there print deadline had passed!!

It's just Reed dithering again. The idea that they would delay it for some news slot is just bonkers - no-one outside the Echo area gives a sh!t.

If he can string it out for another six day, there's a possibility that Jokanovic may want to talk to us....

And when he doesn't, Les will start the search in earnest.

This better not be a repeat of the Nigel Pearson debacle....

Unlikely, it's completely different this time. There had been a power struggle at that time, Pearson was a Leon Crouch appointment, and a vindictive Lowe wasn't going to reappoint him for that reason. By all accounts the current board are more than happy with Hughes, not least of which because he saved their incompetent arses.

3 different people have messaged me tonight to say it's done. 1 from London, 1 from Stoke and 1 from Manchester. I can only conclude that it is now done and just needs the legal stuff doing before it's announced.

which is pretty much what Jeremy Wilson has said in The Telegraph not an hour ago :)

Even after a relative failure at PSG, Emery's stock is still way too high to come to Saints. Just like Tuchel, if he's smart he'll sit on his hands for as long as it takes for another big club to come knocking. Why risk genuine failure at a small club with limited resources? The list of managers with sufficient experience and profile to manage the top four in any of Europe's big leagues is very small (whether it should be is another question entirely) and as long as these people have sensible agents, we're never going to see them chancing their arm on two years at Saints as a stepping stone to the PL - they'll never need to.

Ahem.