Don’t buy this ‘Only Hughes’ option

Pilchards

I can’t thank Mark Hughes enough on how he has rescued us from certain relegation, However I can’t help thinking we must have other options out there?

Reed and Co will have learnt a valuable lesson in employing the useless Puel and Pellegrino as they wanted another Pottychino style manager but it’s clearly backfired.

Mark Hughes is a safe option that will have us playing okay football and flirting around 10-12th in the league.

I want more than this, I want us to get a manager that will go to the top 6 clubs and take the 3 points plus get us European football again.

We have the money so let’s see how ambitious GAO really is?

Who could we get if we offered a 100m transfer kitty plus good wages?

Leonardo Jardim, Carlo Ancelotti, Brendan Rodgers, Joachim Low, Patrick Vieira or Tuchel are options if we sell the club to them.

Thoughts?

Hughes will ensure several seasons of stability and mid table finishes. That suits me!

Mark Higehes needs to be announced in the next few days. The players have responded. The club needs consistency. Gone are any European football aspirations for now. Let’s get a manager in who has got the respect of players, knows the league, has an affinity with the club and can settle things for the beginning of the summer. SFC board, this will be the easiest appointment you’ll have made in your tenure so annnouce it in the next week if Hughes is keen.

Swansea owners have released an official statement on their OS about the season. They are very honest actually. I really would like similar news from Saints with the plan going forward since I doubt they are happy with the season - at least I hope they are very unhappy with lots of things this season.

It all depends if the manager ‘blueprint’ is thrown away for the PL experience which Hughes has.

The idea of an up and coming Manager (like Julian Nagelsmann) but with a personality (unlike Puel) that players can respect and a tactical ideology (unlike Pellegrino) players understand and buy into.

I don’t know if there are any managers in the Championship or League One of that ilk - as there seems to be a media black hole below the PL, but perhaps Hannes Wolf or Sandro Schwarz who are just starting out could be future stars in the game.

I think the stand out name in the Championship is probably Jokanovic,although rumour on here is that Reed is a long term admirer of Rowell at Derby.

Of the overseas 'up and comings' the name in the press last week was the bloke at Red Bull Salzburg who reached the EL semi finals, but of course unproven in a more competitive league. Then again it won't take long for the name of Potter to be thrown into the mix.

He's probably earned the chance to prove himself but I stand by what I've been saying for the last 12 months. I'd like to see Jokanovic as manager. He's the man we should have turned to after Koeman. If Fulham don't come up then we should go for him.

I would be pleased with Hughes staying. But agree, if it's not to be him then it absolutely has to be Jokanovic.

Any option other than Hughes would be inviting trouble--and we've had enough of that. Hughes has more Premier League experience than anyone available, he has proved his worth in difficult circumstances, the players have responded far more than seemed likely, we have seen good football in the last few matches, better than the last two years. Mad to look elsewhere, let him get on with it, and soon!

But if Bunsen and Beaker remain I can see them selling Gabbi, loaning out Gallagher again (without a recall clause), and bringing in no new striker (thinking we'll be fine with who's left). Muppets.

There's no such thing as a "recall clause" any more, only season long loans which can be terminated in the January transfer window.

Can we have a poll on how long it will be before those calling for him to have the job next season want him out if his win ratio stays the same please?

Which games under Hughes didn't we win that you expected us to?

Which games under Hughes didn't we win that you expected us to?

Only West Ham, but that was his second? Game.

He come in to do a job and that job he done. The players like him, the fans like him and he’s proven in the PL. we’d be stupid not to take him (and I’m one who’d love us to get a big name).

We couldn't recall Gallagher in January, IIRC.

The FA Handbook retains the terms "long term" and "short term" loan (over 93 days and 28-93 days) in the 2017/18 document (but it applies to all levels of football, including some without Transfer Windows).

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/cfa/global/files/rules-and-regulations/the-fa-handbook-2017-18.ashx

Here are the rules anyway:

6.6.2 Short Term Loan Transfers – A Club can have up to a maximum of twelve (12) Short Term

Loans during a Playing Season. The minimum period of a Short Term Loan transfer must

be twenty-eight (28 ) days with a maximum of ninety-three (93) days in any one Playing

Season.

The Competition shall not approve more than two (2) Short Term Loan transfers to or from

any one Club, including Premier League and Football League Clubs, at any one time.

On completing the National League System Temporary Transfer Form or FA form H3, a

Club must send the original to the FA, one copy to the Company, and a third copy to the

secretary of the League with which the player is registered.

To extend the period of any Short Term Loan transfer a further National League System

Temporary Transfer Form or FA form H3 must be completed and copies sent as directed

above. If the Short Term Loan transfer is extended only the Club for whom the Player

was originally registered will be allowed to cancel the agreement at any time within the

extension period, i.e. after 28 days. In the case of a goalkeeper Clubs may mutually agree,

if they so wish, to include a recall clause in the agreement to enable the Club for who the

Player was originally registered to recall the Player at any time during the loan period.

Players other than goalkeepers may not be recalled within the first month, i.e. 28 days, of

any loan.

Any Short Term Loan transfer which may terminate after the last day for registrations may

be extended for a further period provided the maximum period of 93 days is not exceeded.

Short Terms Loan Transfers which become permanent before their expiry date shall not

count against a Club’s quota of days or Players.

6.6.3 Long Term Loan Transfers – Clubs may have up to a maximum of six (6) Long Term Loan

Transfers of any age during a Playing Season.

Long Term Loan Transfers shall be for a full Playing Season; or from any date prior to 31st

August to any date between 1st and 31st January; or from any date between 1st and 31st

January (the January transfer window) to the end of the Playing Season.

A Player on Long Term Loan may not be recalled, except for a goalkeeper or where the

Player is to be transferred permanently by the Club (or club) holding his registered

contract. A Player other than a goalkeeper so recalled cannot be permitted to play for the

Club (or club) holding his registration after such recall until the end of the Playing Season.

Players so recalled can only be replaced by a further Long Term Loan with permission from

the Company. Long Term Loan Transfers will not count against the number of Short Term

Loan Transfers.

To extend the period of any long term loan transfer a further National League System

Temporary Transfer Form or FA form H3 must be completed and copies sent as directed

above.

The Competition shall not approve more than two (2) Long Term Loan transfers to or from

any one club, including Premier League and Football League Clubs, at any one time.

------------------

Edited by The9

Bearing in mind their dragging of heels over signing players, and the managerial appointment last summer, you can't help think they'll drag this out to keep their options open. I can imagine Reed and Co. keeping Hughes waiting (they may wait to see Fulham's outcome) but also chance p*ssing him off if they do and if they then decide they can't do better and go back and offer him the job he may very well tell them to f*** off.

If they don't give it to Hughes then the next appointment had better be relatively successful otherwise the fans will slaughter them.

I do wonder if things might happen a bit quicker this summer as we have stable ownership now. Kat was looking to sell the club last year and I can imagine that this had an effect on the speed at which significant decisions were made. Hopefully Nelly will say yes or no a lot quicker. Hughes sorted on Wednesday (I hope).

Seeing as the transfer window now opens on Thursday and there is a possibility that at least Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, Everton and maybe Watford are looking at management options.

We don't want to be in a bun fight for a manager.

Edited by Nolan

Bearing in mind their dragging of heels over signing players, and the managerial appointment last summer, you can't help think they'll drag this out to keep their options open. I can imagine Reed and Co. keeping Hughes waiting (they may wait to see Fulham's outcome) but also chance p*ssing him off if they do and if they then decide they can't do better and go back and offer him the job he may very well tell them to f*** off.

If they don't give it to Hughes then the next appointment had better be relatively successful otherwise the fans will slaughter them.

Have to say your post is scarily close to the truth.... I smell major prevarication ‘again’ and another complete cock up.... Hughesy is a great fit for our club - give him the bloody job, it is very important to show Hughes we have confidence in him and he is on board.... What’s to think about? Who if anyone would be a better proposition right now...

We haven’t seen this much togetherness in the club since Poch and haven’t seen the players this motivated since him...

Hughes knows who to pick and who to dump, knows his best formation with cards he’s dealt, doesn’t tolerate anyone who isn’t ‘on the bus’

What more do we bloody want for Christ sake!

Have to say your post is scarily close to the truth.... I smell major prevarication ‘again’ and another complete cock up.... Hughesy is a great fit for our club - give him the bloody job, it is very important to show Hughes we have confidence in him and he is on board.... What’s to think about? Who if anyone would be a better proposition right now...

We haven’t seen this much togetherness in the club since Poch and haven’t seen the players this motivated since him...

Hughes knows who to pick and who to dump, knows his best formation with cards he’s dealt, doesn’t tolerate anyone who isn’t ‘on the bus’

What more do we bloody want for Christ sake!

But does he fit Reed's profile of a 'Head Coach' for the long term? Hughes could be a bit too 'Koeman-type' for his 'vision'.

I'd give it to Hughes today.

Hughes has a managerial history of mediocrity, and an appalling transfer record. Really appreciate his efforts but history shows he will antagonise the players and staff fairly quickly (see... every club bar Blackburn) and whilst he added some much needed fight to our team, its not like we were suddenly playing great football.

If the answer is Mark Hughes, I think we're asking the wrong question.

Hughes has a managerial history of mediocrity, and an appalling transfer record. Really appreciate his efforts but history shows he will antagonise the players and staff fairly quickly (see... every club bar Blackburn) and whilst he added some much needed fight to our team, its not like we were suddenly playing great football.

Mediocrity? You think another manager would have had Stoke higher than 9th for three seasons.?

What rubbish. Go headbutt an axe.

Getting Stoke to 9th for 3 seasons is mediocre? You wouldn`t take that for us?? I also seem to remember some on here creaming themselves about Stoke`s signings before the season started.

Getting Stoke to 9th for 3 seasons is mediocre? You wouldn`t take that for us?? I also seem to remember some on here creaming themselves about Stoke`s signings before the season started.

I think if Stoke had stuck with Mark Hughes, they would have stayed up no bother. They would have managed at least another couple of wins to stay up at our expense. Probably why the sour grapes now from Stoke, realising their monumental cock up in sacking him and handing him on a plate to us......

One of the most important things that the club needs right now is stability and a two year contract for Hughes would provide that, and I would say that he has earned that.

Not only did he keep us up but he galvanised the players and the support from rock bottom and with a bit of luck (or at least a VAR review) we might even have had a cup final to look forward to on Saturday. How exciting would that have been with our premier league survival achieved.

After the shambles of the last two summers 'managerial recruitment' please let's stick with what we have. I would be hopeful of a top half finish and perhaps another cup run.

It's a 'yes' from me as far as sparky is concerned. He is a leader - literally - as evidenced by his march from the team bus to the stadium at Swansea !

One of the most important things that the club needs right now is stability and a two year contract for Hughes would provide that, and I would say that he has earned that.

Not only did he keep us up but he galvanised the players and the support from rock bottom and with a bit of luck (or at least a VAR review) we might even have had a cup final to look forward to on Saturday. How exciting would that have been with our premier league survival achieved.

After the shambles of the last two summers 'managerial recruitment' please let's stick with what we have. I would be hopeful of a top half finish and perhaps another cup run.

It's a 'yes' from me as far as sparky is concerned. He is a leader - literally - as evidenced by his march from the team bus to the stadium at Swansea !

Agree with all of that

This time last season this place would have gone into meltdown if Hughes was being seriously suggested. It makes perfect sense to go through a procedure to see who is out there and then select the best man for the job. If the Boatd think that is Hughes, so be it, but let’s not pretend that a) he is the only option and b) he is automatically the best option because he won two matches and kept us up.

Could not agree more. Why on earth repeat the carnage of the last 2 summers when we can appoint a good manager, who has the support of the players and a vast majority of the supporters, early.

Delay brings inertia and chaos as we know only too well from the past 2 summers and it would be far better to break that habit and get settled early on, so we can go about a pre-season in a planned and orderly fashion.

Of course this is down to Dr Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker (Thanks Alps :lol:) who have a track record of keeping their thumbs up their arses for longer than they should, but this to me is a no brainer.

After this seasons trials and tribulations, we need to settle, plan well, construct the squad early, get really fit and be ready for the start of the season. No more last minute rushes please...

Could not agree more. Why on earth repeat the carnage of the last 2 summers when we can appoint a good manager, who has the support of the players and a vast majority of the supporters, early.

Delay brings inertia and chaos as we know only too well from the past 2 summers and it would be far better to break that habit and get settled early on, so we can go about a pre-season in a planned and orderly fashion.

Of course this is down to Dr Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker (Thanks Alps :lol:) who have a track record of keeping their thumbs up their arses for longer than they should, but this to me is a no brainer.

After this seasons trials and tribulations, we need to settle, plan well, construct the squad early, get really fit and be ready for the start of the season. No more last minute rushes please...

Makes complete sense.....

Hughes has galvanised the squad, dealt properly with poor attitude players, tactically used the players to the best advantage and almost saved us from what seemed a nailed on relegation by the skin of our teeth. He seems a great fit in terms of his past association with the club. Get a result today and there will be a big outpouring of emotional attachment from the Saint Mary’s faithful. Sometimes it’s all about the DECENT decision and in this case my feeling is, that would be to give Hughes a three deal with the objective to clean up the squad and achieve a top 10 finish.

Why so long? Why not offer a rolling annual contract? At the end of each season, review and if both parties want to do another year, then continue. I am on a rolling 6 month contract in my job and I am happy with that. It keeps the incentive on the employee to work hard. In this case, if the relationship with the players has turned sour then the directors don't offer the next year. We can't go on offering 3 year deals, then cutting them short after 1 year and paying huge payouts.

This time last season this place would have gone into meltdown if Hughes was being seriously suggested. It makes perfect sense to go through a procedure to see who is out there and then select the best man for the job. If the Boatd think that is Hughes, so be it, but let’s not pretend that a) he is the only option and b) he is automatically the best option because he won two matches and kept us up.

Yes it would have done. But it didn't go into meltdown when we appointed him because most people knew the severity of the situation and apart from possibly Marco Silva, there weren't any other viable options.

But now he has been here, it's hard to dispute that he has got the players onside, he has given them some belief, and he has got us playing with a bit more purpose.

On paper there might be a better manager out there, and the club would be silly not to at least look around to consider the options. But really, unless we can attract a world class manager (which, if we couldn't last summer, why would we now?) then a marginally/questionably better manager than Hughes is surely offset by the risk that he isn't good enough. At least we know that Hughes can give us some of the things we are missing.

It's a bit like a game show when you have to gamble your prize money for a chance to win more. Maybe it's worth gambling your £1,000 for a chance to win £100,000, but not if the prize is £1,200.

Edited by mrfahaji

For a club coming off the upward curve with Adkins, Poch and Koeman, Hughes would seem an unambitious and unexciting appointment. Coming after the death of creativity and the slump into poor morale, motivation, fitness and tactical awareness that were Puel and Pellegrino, Hughes is a welcome step back to steady, competent management that we can build on.

Why so long? Why not offer a rolling annual contract? At the end of each season, review and if both parties want to do another year, then continue. I am on a rolling 6 month contract in my job and I am happy with that. It keeps the incentive on the employee to work hard. In this case, if the relationship with the players has turned sour then the directors don't offer the next year. We can't go on offering 3 year deals, then cutting them short after 1 year and paying huge payouts.

Because in the fickle world of football management, people want a bit of security. Hughes might start the season badly, lose his job 2 months in (though he probably has 9 months guaranteed with this board...) and struggle to find work for another year or so.

Yes, from the outside he is paid handsomely for his job and it's "up to him to do it well", but in an environment where there always has to be some teams/managers struggling and under pressure, you understand why managers want to add that security into their negotiations.

Though perhaps a 2-year contract, with an option to extend after year 1 etc.