Don’t buy this ‘Only Hughes’ option

Pilchards

Just a small rant I want to get off my chest.

Sam Allardyce comes in and does a good job in overturning Everton’s bad start to a good respectable finishing position.

David Moyes is another who went to West Ham and turned around their season with a respectable win percentage of 25% plus 1.4 points a game compared to Bilic’s shocking performance.

Both managers have both been sacked as the clubs they managed are seeking an improvement for next season.

I see that both clubs are linked with classy managers.

Then you have Saints who turned to Mark Hughes who just about managed to help us survive thanks to the amazing Alex McCarthy it must be said.

What do we do next? Offer him a new contract plus admitting we want stability for next season.

Does this show our lack of ambition for next season compared to the likes of Everton and West Ham who are thinking big things for 2018-2019.

I’m always a believer that you should reach for the stars unlike our board at SFC.

Edited by Pilchards

Sam Allardyce comes in and does a good job in overturning Everton’s bad start to a good respectable finishing position.

David Moyes is another who went to West Ham and turned around their season with a respectable win percentage of 25% plus 1.4 points a game compared to Bilic’s shocking performance.

Both managers have both been sacked as the clubs they managed are seeking an improvement for next season.

Then you have Saints who turned to Mark Hughes who just about managed to help us survive thanks to the amazing Alex McCarthy it must be said.

What do we do next? Offer him a new contract plus admitting we want stability for next season.

Does this show our lack of ambition for next season compared to the likes of Everton and West Ham who are thinking big things for 2018-2019.

I’m always a believer that you should reach for the stars unlike our board at SFC.

Yes you have made your point numerous times and we know you don’t fancy Hughes. Hell your probably right but FFS your turning into a parody of datek and Glasgow with your repetition.

They have both been thinking big things for donkeys years and where has it got them? No better than they have always been 2nd tier prem wise at best.

Different situations call for different responses. West Ham need to build some sort of bridges with their fan base, the owners are under pressure over the stadium and their general stewardship of the club. The last thing they need from a PR point of view is to appoint someone like Moyes permanently . Everton were never in danger of going down and I don't buy this Big Sam the firefighter going in and saving them. Anyone with any semblance of managerial ability would have kept them up. Fat Sam was a poor choice in the first place imo. Not a good fit. Us on the other hand need stability, need a steady experienced guy for a couple of seasons. Right man and the right time,?whereas the other 2 aren't .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To an extent yes but there is always the Curbishley counter argument. Waited too long and now get's "Alan Who?" when he goes for jobs.

I agree he could wait and probably do better. All I am saying is that he might not want to. If he is burning to prove himself, wants to manage in the premier league etc it is not entirely implausible he, or any other manager, might fancy working with our les.

Not really sure I take your point on Moyes. His work at Everton got him the Utd job. His decent showing at WHAM would likely get him another premiership job despite some poor showings in the interim.

Huh? Who is comparing Alan Curbishley to Unai Emery?

Main difference being the Everton and West Ham fans clearly didn't want Sam and Moyes respectively whereas our fans are in the majority happy with Hughes.

Probably because all this small club talk from Ralph has lowered our expectioms.

Probably because all this small club talk from Ralph has lowered our expectioms.
You actually think Ralph Krueger has that much of a towering influence over the Southampton fan base - you know the one made up of actual, real people.

I know a few of those real people and they all are happy with Hughes staying and I am pretty darn sure they've reached that conclusion under their own steam rather than brainwashed by the words and actions of our Canadian chairman.

I think we all get you don't want Hughes. We get it. Unfortunately for you it looks like we are getting him so try and enjoy next season.

Everton 19th in shots 19th in chances created 19th shots on target 19th on dribbles...guess why Sam got the sack?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Someone raised an interesting question in the early stages one of the Hughes threads. When has appointing the 'firefighter' who has kept the team up, and then been offered the full time post proved successful ? Not too sure of those who have succeeded but others I can think of haven't turned out too weell.

Sunderland - D Canio, and Advocaat spring to mind.

Leicester - Shakspeare

Of course, Di Canio is a special case, and not necessarily a good example, and Sunderland has proven to be full of other problems (but we have Les Reed making decisions).

Hughes can't be faulted in his time with us, has done all the right things needed to rescue us. Longer term? Not too sure given his track record at Stoke, but he might be as safe and experienced pair of hands as we can expect at the moment. If he is appointed I hope it falls into the 'Strachan' type appointment, questioned at the outset but proves a good fit.

Out of interest Pilchards, who do you want ?

Huh? Who is comparing Alan Curbishley to Unai Emery?

It was an example of waiting out too long for 'the right offer' and managers being forgotten.

I thought Curbishley went elsewhere but was a flop on leaving Charlton.

Both those clubs could easily be in trouble next year IMO.

They are too messy behind the scenes, our board/football directors etc. have made mistakes over the last 2 years but IMO there is much more stability, clear thinking and planning at our club, they just got their big decisions wrong (manager choices, recent recruitment).

Everton and West Ham need some stability and clear planning, but with their owners I doubt that is going to happen.

Silva is a good manager, but if he does well and a bigger club comes knocking it could all unravel for him, plus their squad clearly has issues, most of their squad is in the 28 - 33 bracket, with like 3/4 of their defence approaching their mid 30s and like us they lack pace and unless Tosun turns out to be a good, a quality striker. Plus I suspect Moshri will throw some more money at any player available and expect to challenge for top 6, which will put Silva under pressure straight away.

And then West ham have a pair of clowns running the club and their transfer policy seems to be to go for anyone and everyone half decent in Europe and then get the owners son to announce it on twitter. I also suspect that they could easily do a Stoke, in signing some talented but unprofessional players that'll end up upsetting the team spirit.

Easily could see one of those teams struggling next year whoever they get in.

It was an example of waiting out too long for 'the right offer' and managers being forgotten.

Right, but one of those managers has won the Europa League three times, the French league once, multiple French cups and was named the European manager of the year in 2013-14. The other one did okay at Charlton for a bit.

Different situations call for different responses. West Ham need to build some sort of bridges with their fan base, the owners are under pressure over the stadium and their general stewardship of the club. The last thing they need from a PR point of view is to appoint someone like Moyes permanently . Everton were never in danger of going down and I don't buy this Big Sam the firefighter going in and saving them. Anyone with any semblance of managerial ability would have kept them up. Fat Sam was a poor choice in the first place imo. Not a good fit. Us on the other hand need stability, need a steady experienced guy for a couple of seasons. Right man and the right time,?whereas the other 2 aren't .

Agree, whereas we pushed the panic button much too late (almost catastrophically so), Everton pushed it much too early.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

First this forum wanted Puel out. Then Pellegrino is appointed and yes a bad appointment. Now we have a possible manager who you can understand and has a winning pedigree, ok only as a player. Yet it’s still not enough for the forum experts.

Get over yourself give this guy a chance.

Who exactly are these forum experts you speak of? Because almost every poster in this thread has called for Hughes to be appointed.

First this forum wanted Puel out. Then Pellegrino is appointed and yes a bad appointment. Now we have a possible manager who you can understand and has a winning pedigree, ok only as a player. Yet it’s still not enough for the forum experts.

Get over yourself give this guy a chance.

I work with teams and understand the psychology that surrounds being part of one - don't, for one minute, under estimate the strong bond that will have been created between hughes, his coaching staff and the team through the eight games he had with us. In a few short games he will have over turned the toxic, destructive and weak mentality that had been established with our last two managers. The transformation in team spirit, in such a short space of time, was exceptional and you could see it in the way they played and the way they celebrated with each other. Hughes has vast experience of the premier league and, rarely for us, has history with our club. Appointing him properly will maintain this momentum and take the positive feeling into next season.

My neighbour and her dad are long time STH at Stoke and both believe we got the best deal.Its only their opinion but reckon we will have stability and the players will have more respect for Sparky than those at Stoke.I'm OK with Sparky and hope he gets the job Full Time.

Who exactly are these forum experts you speak of? Because almost every poster in this thread has called for Hughes to be appointed.

Look at every post ever put on this forum and you will find the so called experts. And no your are wrong, plenty say don’t give him the job.

I say give him a chance, this could turn out to be a good fit for us. Managers perform with the constraints they are given.

We do have a talented squad. Pellegrino was not a man manager where it appears Hughes is. Who says it can’t be a success? Apart from a few on here of course!

I would be happy with Hughes.

In his interview after the City game, when asked if he would sign I believe he said "ask me on Wednesday".

It is now Thursday evening, Hughes goes on holiday at the weekend, when do we start worrying that we are messing him about and he will, or has, rejected us?

There seems to be an assumption amongst many supporters that he will come here if Saints snap their fingers but he has to consider his family, and his assistants, who all presumably live up in the North West. He knows will get a job somewhere, his stock will be high after saving us, so I hope we are not trying to screw him with a lousy deal.

I would be happy with Hughes.

In his interview after the City game, when asked if he would sign I believe he said "ask me on Wednesday".

It is now Thursday evening, Hughes goes on holiday at the weekend, when do we start worrying that we are messing him about and he will, or has, rejected us?

There seems to be an assumption amongst many supporters that he will come here if Saints snap their fingers but he has to consider his family, and his assistants, who all presumably live up in the North West. He knows will get a job somewhere, his stock will be high after saving us, so I hope we are not trying to screw him with a lousy deal.

Remember the interview and have been wondering the same.

For me, if it isn't nailed down/announced tomorrow then I suspect it will not materialise, and we'll again be left to Les to do what he does best throygh June and into July.... dither, dither, and dither some more.

Its not impossible that Hughes will want changes to the way the club is run which he has kept to himself during the relegation battle and which could be a sticking point. But i expect him to join - what other jobs will he get that are better than this one realistically?

Its not impossible that Hughes will want changes to the way the club is run which he has kept to himself during the relegation battle and which could be a sticking point. But i expect him to join - what other jobs will he get that are better than this one realistically?

One where he isn't asked to wear the straightjacket Les provides, or rely on Wilson's recruitment policy.

But you're probably right, I don't see West Ham or Everton going for him, or Newcastle should Benitez leave.(Matter of opinion whether they are better of course, but probably the only ones likely)

Hughes could take about six months off and just wait for the inevitable sacking at Cardiff/Watford/Leicester/West Ham/Newcastle/Palace/Villa/whichever middling club panic sack a manager somewhere near the relegation zone in December.

Newcastle and WHU won't give him the job now, but they might well do if desperate at Christmas.

Right, but one of those managers has won the Europa League three times, the French league once, multiple French cups and was named the European manager of the year in 2013-14. The other one did okay at Charlton for a bit.

I wasn't exactly comparing the two records like for like, simply pointing out that waiting can be a negative as part of a point about a hypothetical situation in which we might be considered an option for a 'proven' manager.

Though in Curbs defense he did more than okay at Charlton. They overachieved under him and swiftly fell apart after he departed.

Hughes done and confirmed Friday. He’s earned it, let’s hope it goes well.

Doesn't fill me with joy. More an expectation of shipping out any flair and creativity and filling the squad with Telfers and Jermaine Wrights. But maybe he'll bring in Shaqiri and it'll be OK. Underwhelming appointment for me, and I think by Christmas those on here being so angry with anyone disagreeing he's the best man for the job may have changed their tune. Hope I'm wrong, but history points towards this end.

Doesn't fill me with joy. More an expectation of shipping out any flair and creativity and filling the squad with Telfers and Jermaine Wrights. But maybe he'll bring in Shaqiri and it'll be OK. Underwhelming appointment for me, and I think by Christmas those on here being so angry with anyone disagreeing he's the best man for the job may have changed their tune. Hope I'm wrong, but history points towards this end.

Can I just ask who you'd prefer?

I personally think this has always been a bit of a no-brainer. We need a bit of stability now and we have someone here who already knows our weaknesses and squad. Getting someone new in to go through that process all over again is probably a tad risky.

I work with teams and understand the psychology that surrounds being part of one - don't, for one minute, under estimate the strong bond that will have been created between hughes, his coaching staff and the team through the eight games he had with us. In a few short games he will have over turned the toxic, destructive and weak mentality that had been established with our last two managers. The transformation in team spirit, in such a short space of time, was exceptional and you could see it in the way they played and the way they celebrated with each other. Hughes has vast experience of the premier league and, rarely for us, has history with our club. Appointing him properly will maintain this momentum and take the positive feeling into next season.

Spot on. I was very unimpressed by him prior to his appointment because I knew we needed a motivator, someone who could connect players to their objectives and instil a confidence. But he has proved me wrong and I would be very happy now if we appoint him on a 2 year deal. This club has a history of blowing chances when there is a momentum build up and this must not be allowed to subdue with a different man, in fact team of 3. Despite the horrendous season there was a bit of a buzz again around a few performances at the end so give them a pre season and 3-4 decent signings and I certain we will have a far more enjoyable season.

Seems like Tadic did pretty well under him to contradict you somewhat.

I think the view that Hughes hates any flair and creativity is a lazy assumption that isn't really backed up by what we has done at other clubs, Stoke included. I thought he had actually worked hard to improve their style of play after the Pulis Stoke years and signed quite a few flair players, some of which worked out and others didn't. Typically of the Stoke fans, I think they ended up complaining about this and said they wanted to go back to hoof ball!

I think he will insist on commitment and effort from the players as well and I don't see anything wrong with that after the insipid performances we have had to put up with over the last couple of seasons.