Saints 0 City 1

St Chalet

A little deflating to lose twice to that mob in the last seconds of the game but job done and an easy game to watch without any pressure. Hojbjerg and Romeu great today and Cedric played well. Bertrand coming off on 80 mins was a little surprising; cotton wool for the world cup or a chance to say goodbye to supporters?

Let the shake up begin!

No. Quite wrong about that. Bertie looked like he had pulled a hamstring. He stopped very quickly after one of his runs and came off immediately. Could cost him his last vcrack at a WC. Nothing fake about it and it unsettled our defence quite badly. McQueen just isn't a PL player, another one to be shown the door.

There's still a good player in there, same with Bednarek and Hoedt, but I think we need a strong leader signed in the summer and two of those three loaned out for experience next season. I wouldn't give up on any of them yet.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Fair point. My hunch is that Bednarek & Hoedt are the better bets for our future. Let's hope that the Wise Old Head doesn't turn out to be Shawcross 'though!

That last-min goal summed up our season. So many times we've lapsed in the final seconds of halves, just unprofessional really and a genuine lack of quality and leadership at the back. It was 1 long ball which bounced. Horrific defending by Stephens who really hasn't pushed on, good on the ball, but very poor at his actual job.

Need some major surgery on that back 4 this summer, without question. Pace/Power for sure, but leaders...people who will shout and organise, there's not really any of that back there. We certainly look better coached over the last few weeks, players seem to have an idea of their roles and what the team is trying to do - so that's a positive.

It looks to me as if Hughes has come in and thought he'd go for it at WHU, then realised we simply don't have the defensive players to do that - so we dropped off and started to play more on the break (more niggly/aggressive attitude from the players to win 50/50's etc). Sometimes it's the basics like that which get you over the line in games.

But overall this is a key summer. I don't want to hear any back patting ******** about how well run we are or how our ''cheapies' got us over the line. We need action. We need top centre backs through the door, top replacements for anyone we sell (i.e Ryan).

This wasn't a great escape, it was a ****ing lucky escape. Too many people at all levels have taken their eyes off the ball, so I think it's only fair that as fans we now start to get some answers on our future - what are the new owners about? What are their plans? If i'm honest, I couldn't give a flying **** about how many academies they open in China, that doesn't interest me. I want to know what they'll do to improve the team in the country they are in.

Don't agree. At times when City were putting the pressure on we did have 2 defensive lines. But it looked like the defensive line was high up the pitch for a fair part of the game.

Not just the city game though is it? We have been defending hard and playing to nick one on the break for the last few games. That is not a criticism of Hughes he has made the best use of the tools available to get us to safety. The point is using to the last few games to suggest the defence is is fine based doesn't really hold water.

Do we really want to be going into next season having to play 5 at the back and 2 holding midfielders to protect a back 5 containing Hoedt, Stephens and Yoshida, and most likely Targett to, I know I don't.

Hoedt played Jesus on. Stupid goal to concede, our centre backs switch off so easily.

I know it doesnt matter but does anyone know how many points we threw away in injury time this season. Can think of 6 off the top could of my head

Our centre backs are much criticised but they did brilliantly today, not many teams have heldm City thhis season for 95 minutes. Give credit where it is due. thought Yoshida was a giant today, he doesn't get the praise he deserves. My MoM and second for the season, behind the goaly

No. Quite wrong about that. Bertie looked like he had pulled a hamstring. He stopped very quickly after one of his runs and came off immediately. Could cost him his last vcrack at a WC. Nothing fake about it and it unsettled our defence quite badly. McQueen just isn't a PL player, another one to be shown the door.

Yes, ok, that's both good and bad news if he has tweaked a hammy. Bad that his World Cup involvement could be affected, yet good that there's a chance he stays with the Club.

Thought generally we played well again today against an excellent team who were only in second gear. McCarthy had another great game. Redmond had another very poor game.

What next? Appoint Hughes ASAP. Then lose Redmond, Boufal, Long, Davis, Targett, Clasie, Carillio, Bednarek, Forster. Then sign at first team level a new GK, CB, CM, ACM, Striker.

When watching back the game on Sky, I couldn’t see Les with Ralph etc...has he gone already? If not he needs to fook off very quickly.

Thought generally we played well again today against an excellent team who were only in second gear. McCarthy had another great game. Redmond had another very poor game.

What next? Appoint Hughes ASAP. Then lose Redmond, Boufal, Long, Davis, Targett, Clasie, Carillio, Bednarek, Forster. Then sign at first team level a new GK, CB, CM, ACM, Striker.

When watching back the game on Sky, I couldn’t see Les with Ralph etc...has he gone already? If not he needs to fook off very quickly.

Les was on his knees sucking off Mr GAO, that’s why he had that little smile on his face.

Thought we played really well. A bit annoying to concede at the death, but am not sure it was an error, De Bruyne's ball was amazing..

To my mind, an inability to finish was the problem for us (again!). But we played really well today and the score didn't matter for once ( given it didn't get absurd on the 10 goal swing stuff)

Judging by Hughes demeanour on the BBC, it looks like our top Brass are looking elsewhere for the next manager. Cue long drawn out saga and late player signings.
The only realistic ones i'd be happy with are Wagner and Jokanovic, off the top of my head. Anyone else would either be underwhelming or an unknown quantity and therefore a gamble.

Just get someone to set us up to attack for **** sake.

The only realistic ones i'd be happy with are Wagner and Jokanovic, off the top of my head. Anyone else would either be underwhelming or an unknown quantity and therefore a gamble.

Its not as simple as just get us to attack though. For start any manager who sets us up to be to attacking is going to be on the end of some tonkings due to the **** poor quality of our CBs. Add to that the poor quality of forward line doesn't really help either.

Wagner would be an awful appointment. He's defensive as ****.

Wagner would be an awful appointment. He's defensive as ****.

He wasn't though was he? I thought he was billed as a poor mans Klopp a high press type of manager. First few weeks back in the PL Huddersfield were getting plaudits for there attacking no fear play. Looks like Wagner like the manager at every team outside the top 6 was worn down by the PL to play negative defensive football as the only way to get results.

Its noticeable that the best of the rest this season was Burnley a team built on defensive football and relatively few goals scored.

Its noticeable that the best of the rest this season was Burnley a team built on defensive football and relatively few goals scored.

Also the fewest starting XI changes by a long way. 34 as opposed to Liverpool’s 135. We were mid table with 90. Crystal Palace were next lowest with 64.

From The Times (paywall)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-alternative-premier-league-tables-7qbx6ktvd

He wasn't though was he? I thought he was billed as a poor mans Klopp a high press type of manager. First few weeks back in the PL Huddersfield were getting plaudits for there attacking no fear play. Looks like Wagner like the manager at every team outside the top 6 was worn down by the PL to play negative defensive football as the only way to get results.

Exactly. Although Everton fans will (currently, until they start losing again) beg to differ, football is first and foremost about results. There are plenty of managers who would play a different style depending on the players at their disposal. Fans and media like to buy into the idea of managers having a "philosophy", but surely some managers are capable of changing their tactics and style depending on who they are in charge of.

Jokanavic would be good. If Fulham can't progress tonight, maybe we could make an offer for him, Targett and Sessegnon, plus Cairney, Mitrovic et al..... maybe we could just make Fulham our feeder/partner club. :)

Enjoyed the game, the ending 100% fixed between the Manager. Hughes smiling and nodding when heard Stoke score, then Man City score easy goal. Shock.

Yeah, I'm sure it was always planned for Man City to score with a tricky finish with the last kick of the game after the ref could have already blown up for full time.

Still have to pinch myself we stayed up. We looked dead and buried a few weeks ago.

Defo give Hughes a chance. Grabbing good managers from other countries is not sustainable. They either go on to better pastures or turn out to be sh 1t.

Still have to pinch myself we stayed up. We looked dead and buried a few weeks ago.

Defo give Hughes a chance. Grabbing good managers from other countries is not sustainable. They either go on to better pastures or turn out to be sh 1t.

It definitely feels weird this season. I was a kid supporting Saints in the 90s. Saints surviving relegation battles wasn't just something I just believed would happen, or even just expected. As a kid back then, all I'd ever known was Saints surviving when they were in a relegation battle, it was something I KNEW would happen each time. Of course, the fact that we kept on surviving whatever the odds just continually reinforced that.

This season is actually the first season I've ever had where I've gotten to the point that I expected us to get relegated, had accepted it, and then we've actually stayed up.