Saints 0 City 1

St Chalet

For much of that match we shaded it as the better team, especially in the second half after the first two substitutions. A shame that McQueen replaced Bertrand, who was presumably carrying a knock, or it would have been good to have seen Gabbiadini on. This is the second time playing Citeh this season where they been unable to beat us until virtually the last kick of the match, so as they are the record breaking Champions of the division, that is no mean feat. I can't fault Hughes' tactics today, or the team spirit from all of the players, who really put in a shift. What might have been had we not delayed so long in getting shot of the clown.

Writing off 'the defence' when they'd shut out man city for 92 minutes seems a bit much. They need help, a leader, but all of them are good enough. Players can improve with experience. No one is going to suggest we don't need a decent CB signed, but the others haven't done so bad recently.

When we've collapsed, it's been as a team, like newcastle, west ham, chelsea home.

We’ve switched formations and surrendered any kind of attacking impetus from CM to protect the defense. That’s why goals will be at a premium while we are forced to carry it.

City didnt get out of second gear today and lacked urgency and intensity. They have world-class players though not necessarily ones to exploit the aerial and physical soft spots of our defense.

Edited by shurlock

How may points lost in stoppage time this year? Off the top of my head I can think of 6 points

City (a) 1 point

Watford 2 points

Everton 2 points

City (h) 1 point

I am sure I am not remembering others.

6 points that would've had us four places higher, also saving, what, £8 million?

Just back from the game. Overall a very well drilled performance. They look so much more comfortable and understand what is needed since Hughes took over. It was obvious from early in the game that, quite understandably, that we weren’t going to be committing numbers going forward. Shame about the goal as a draw would have been well deserved. My only negative would be Redmond. No words.

Embarrassing really that all three promoted clubs have finished above us. We surely won't be so lucky that three established clubs manage to **** things up too.

I reckon Brighton might struggle next season

Not a single promoted club from any league got repeated this year I think I heard.

So fcking annoyed about this result. To play that well and get done by the long ball in the 93rd minute if unforgivable. So often this season hard work is just thrown away. Literally seconds left.

We matched them in that game, really should have scored but you just knew we wouldn't.

Didn't help we carried Redmond for an hour or more. What is wrong with him? Absolutely brilliant at Everton and useless at Swansea and today. Lost the ball every time he got it.

Thought Stephens and Hoedt played well, Hojberg and Romeu excellent. But we need a leader in the centre of defence with them to stop this pathetic ****e happening at the end.

I suppose this season didn't deserve to end any other way. Relieved we'd stayed up. Relegation with a squad this expensive and experienced when the competition is so, so poor would be ridiculous. Let's move on and start afresh.

I assume Hughes will get the job. Probably fair enough but 2 wins in 8 and the amount of points we've thrown away still concerns me.

Harsh to complain about Redmond. He was trying to attack, not stop and play a safe pass back all the time ala Puel/Pellegrino.

If you want attacking football then you have to accept that sometimes it's not going to work out.

Same goes with players shooting from distance. I'd much rather see attacking intent that doesn't lead to a chance instead of passing it around the back four for 65 mins.

Just back, the Northam were awesome today, well done everybody. Deserved a point at least but not gonna ***** about it, much more important things to worry about. Ok we switched off at the end, but I thought everybody put a shift in today.

Off to the pub to celebrate, need a few to help soothe a very sore throat.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

We’ve switched formations and surrendered any kind of attacking impetus from CM to protect the defense. That’s why goals will be at a premium while we are forced to carry it.

City didnt get out of second gear today and lacked urgency and intensity. They have world-class players though not necessarily ones to exploit the aerial and physical soft spots of our defense.

this

Its amazing people how people don't see how defensive Hughes has made us become since the Chelsea game in a bid to protect our awful defensive players. We've basically gone to sitting deep in numbers and hoping to nick one on the break. All credit to Hughes for getting us over the line playing this system but are we going to want to watch that week after week next season?

this

Its amazing people how people don't see how defensive Hughes has made us become since the Chelsea game in a bid to protect our awful defensive players. We've basically gone to sitting deep in numbers and hoping to nick one on the break. All credit to Hughes for getting us over the line playing this system but are we going to want to watch that week after week next season?

Still better to watch than the rest of the season

this

Its amazing people how people don't see how defensive Hughes has made us become since the Chelsea game in a bid to protect our awful defensive players.

Right tactics for the games in question, doesn't mean that is how he will always set us out.

this

what would you have done differently and with what members of the squad?

Doesnt the rest depend on our recruitment and if he is supported better than last 2?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We were much more sophisticated than "sitting deep in numbers" today. We pressed when we could but transitioned quickly to getting behind the ball if the first press failed.

The three at the back does suit our centre backs better than a back 4 but, either way, we need a leader in there and we miss Lemina's physicality in midfield when he's out.

this

The way we’ve played reminds me of how Koeman used to set us up, all be it without the pace of Mane and hold up play of Pelle.

Given the right tools (I.e a new CB, some pace out wide and a new no9) I think we’ll do pretty well under Hughes.

Job done.

Not just today but over the last few games. Hughes has found a way to get the results out of this set of players but I’d like to think that with a full pre-season and a better knowledge of the players and with a few changes we can look forward to a period of stabilisation.

Glad this season is out of the way. Let’s move on.

I'm glad I'll never have to think about this season again. It's been a complete shambles, only salvaged by a hail Mary appointment in the final few games. Les Reed and Ralph have to go, they have been appaling for two years and have continued to be endlessly patronising. I want some straight talking from the manager so Hughes will provide some of that and I want something similar from those at the top - which means the current incumbents have to leave as they incapable of providing that.

this

If the comparison is the "style" from the rest of the season- even worse than our championship relegation season for me- then sign me up.

The way we’ve played reminds me of how Koeman used to set us up, all be it without the pace of Mane and hold up play of Pelle.

Given the right tools (I.e a new CB, some pace out wide and a new no9) I think we’ll do pretty well under Hughes.

have to agree with that sounds spot on to me

I'm glad I'll never have to think about this season again. It's been a complete shambles, only salvaged by a hail Mary appointment in the final few games. Les Reed and Ralph have to go, they have been appaling for two years and have continued to be endlessly patronising. I want some straight talking from the manager so Hughes will provide some of that and I want something similar from those at the top - which means the current incumbents have to leave as they incapable of providing that.
whoever authorised Carillo needs the sack based on that decision alone.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

massively embarrassing pitch invasion.

understandable to get excited about being on the pitch if you are about 5.

I assume the adults on the pitch must be a bit head mental

Agree. Mind you I think that most looked quite sheepish when they realised that they were the proverbial one percent of idiots. Took some serious shooing from the Northam as well, cleared the pitch quite quickly in all.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

So fcking annoyed about this result. To play that well and get done by the long ball in the 93rd minute if unforgivable. So often this season hard work is just thrown away. Literally seconds left.

We matched them in that game, really should have scored but you just knew we wouldn't.

Didn't help we carried Redmond for an hour or more. What is wrong with him? Absolutely brilliant at Everton and useless at Swansea and today. Lost the ball every time he got it.

Thought Stephens and Hoedt played well, Hojberg and Romeu excellent. But we need a leader in the centre of defence with them to stop this pathetic ****e happening at the end.

I suppose this season didn't deserve to end any other way. Relieved we'd stayed up. Relegation with a squad this expensive and experienced when the competition is so, so poor would be ridiculous. Let's move on and start afresh.

I assume Hughes will get the job. Probably fair enough but 2 wins in 8 and the amount of points we've thrown away still concerns me.

Spot on....!

Redmond is not a starting player and why the **** do we become rabbits in headlights on 90 minutes?

I remember one time we never conceded last minute goals as we were fit as ****, who was that?

Strachan, Hoddle or Pottychino?

this

Don't agree. At times when City were putting the pressure on we did have 2 defensive lines. But it looked like the defensive line was high up the pitch for a fair part of the game.

The clear out starts now, let's not have another season like that. Always thought the ref would add on sufficient extra time for Man City to get their 100 points, but they are easily the best Premier league side.

Well in fact he didn't here were only 3 mins added for the six subs. We lost because block-head Stevens abandon his post under fire. The bloke is a liability.

I Was nervous at the start but after 10 minutes and around 5 or 6 fifty fifty balls that saints won it was fairly obvious that Man City weren’t really prepared to battle for the win and risk injuries. After that I was comfortable that we would be fine.

Disappointed that we conceded late but we were looking for the win. Funny watching Tadic put their keeper on his arsed 3 times before he had a shot

Thought it was offside. Quite why Stephens was so far up the pitch i’ll never know.

Hoedt was excellent. We were the better side.

We were going for the win, and the referee let the free kick be taken when the ball had not been stopped (and possibly from thw rong place) again. No complaints about the time added (again) for me but if the rule about moving ball is no longer going to be adhered to then we should be told and the law changed appropriately. Stephens was excellent again, Hoedt got away with a few more cock-ups but was good today, thought the back three coped well again, note that Stephens was given the arm band when Bertie made his farewell to the fans, a sign of things to come (in a couple of years), he is the one going round geeing up the players and encouraging them, great to see from a relatively junior player.

Hopefully now Hughes gets given a contract, and we get rid of Les, Ralph, Boufal, Redmond, Forster, Carillo and bring in replacements for Bertie and Cedric who clearly showed they were departing today (though we don't really need to replace Bertie if we can get Targett back alongside McQueen). Two new attacking MFs needed, new backup keeper, new LBs, two new strikers (although Sam G could be one) and another CB simply given we continue to play 3 at the back. Would have liked to replace all three CMs, but Tadic has done a good job in the last few weeks, if he can do that consistently next season then he should stay. Quite a lot to be done, lets hope we get it all sorted reasonably quickly.

Well in fact he didn't here were only 3 mins added for the six subs. We lost because block-head Stevens abandon his post under fire. The bloke is a liability.
There's still a good player in there, same with Bednarek and Hoedt, but I think we need a strong leader signed in the summer and two of those three loaned out for experience next season. I wouldn't give up on any of them yet.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk