Strikers for 18/19

Dusic

• 4 weeks later...
Austin today - worst striker performance that I have ever seen in a live Saints game.

Effort non-existent. An absolute disgrace.

Why some Sainta fans love him is beyond me. He has been a terrible signing on big wages.

This. He’s an utter mess of a bloke too.

No strikers ever look good on the Saints. Gabbi sucks too, Ing has been so so, Lnog stinks. Maybe its because our mids don't know how to attack and create opportunities. They leave any striker isolated. Until we fix that, we could have Kane upfront and it won't matter. The only time the strikers get involved is when the other team goes into "park the bus" mode at the end of matches. Our attack is basically pass the ball 100 times back and forth, then just kick it up and hope we get a lucky bounce

No strikers ever look good on the Saints. Gabbi sucks too, Ing has been so so, Lnog stinks. Maybe its because our mids don't know how to attack and create opportunities. They leave any striker isolated. Until we fix that, we could have Kane upfront and it won't matter. The only time the strikers get involved is when the other team goes into "park the bus" mode at the end of matches. Our attack is basically pass the ball 100 times back and forth, then just kick it up and hope we get a lucky bounce

Strongly disagree. A target man who can score is exactly what the teams desperately needs, and I'm convinced he (along with a semi-decent manager) would lift them up to mid table.

As the title of the thread is 18/19 strikers...........just one vaguely competent footballer that realises the object of the exercise is to score a goal would be progress. The current crop of "strikers" should be queuing at the training ground on Monday morning (preferably Sunday to work on their fitness) to hand their excessive salaries back on the basis of incompetence and inability to do the basis job they were hired to complete. They are simply woeful

Our shots to goals ratio would suggest the complete opposite. Listening to talk sport during the game and we have one of the highest shot totals, but have scored only 4 percent or something like that. So we are making chances, getting shots away, but it would appear that our finishing is woeful.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

This is still an interesting topic of debate, especially with the window open.

Aside from Carrillo, we have 6 strikers of differing shapes, attributes sizes & fitness.

- Ings

- Austin

- Long

- Gabbiadini

- Gallagher

- Obafemi

Gabbi is likely off. So do we think Ralph will want another?

I see Leganes have taken Martin Braithwaite from Boro on loan for the rest of the season. Does this have any affect on Carrillo?

I would assume he's there for the season. Hughes bombed him out so wouldn't have thought he would've wanted the option to recall.

Ings and Obafemi are the only ones with a future at Saints I think.

Its just a question of how quickly we can get rid of the others.

Austin will stay and perhaps Long for now, sorry to disappoint..

Are you suggesting we get rid of all but the 2 you mention? would leave us a bit short surely

Austin will stay and perhaps Long for now, sorry to disappoint..

Are you suggesting we get rid of all but the 2 you mention? would leave us a bit short surely

Well just a wild stab in the dark, but maybe... just maybe... he thinks we would actually replace them?

I think it says something that Austin is still in the picture. When Hasenhuttl arrived pretty much everyone - even those who think he is a decent player - thought it was curtains for Charlie, but he's still getting game time. Instead it's Gabbiadini who is heading out the door. Admittedly, Gabbiadini hardly fits the mould either, but surely does more than Austin. Perhaps Austin's attitude has been good and he's showing a bit more than we thought he was capable of.

I think it says something that Austin is still in the picture. When Hasenhuttl arrived pretty much everyone - even those who think he is a decent player - thought it was curtains for Charlie, but he's still getting game time. Instead it's Gabbiadini who is heading out the door. Admittedly, Gabbiadini hardly fits the mould either, but surely does more than Austin. Perhaps Austin's attitude has been good and he's showing a bit more than we thought he was capable of.

Suspect it's more to do with Gabbi potentially having more significant resale value. If RH doesn't really rate either of them as suitable for his preferred style, it makes sense to protect the one you're going to try and flog to raise funds.

Players only leave if there is someone willing to buy them. Gabbi wants to go back to Italy and his agent has done the work to generate interest from clubs. Austin on the other hand is happy here, so his agent hasn't been out flogging him. He also hasn't done anything much to attract unsolicited attention, sadly.

Suspect it's more to do with Gabbi potentially having more significant resale value. If RH doesn't really rate either of them as suitable for his preferred style, it makes sense to protect the one you're going to try and flog to raise funds.

Debatable considering the markets, most Italian clubs are not very rich, it's similar to the issue with selling to Holland we had with Clasie and Tadic, they are not suddenly going to dump £15-20 million on player like most PL clubs.

Whereas I'd reckon quite a few Championship clubs and maybe the odd lower PL club would probably stump up £12 - 15 million for Austin, he is a proven goalscorer, he could easily score the goals to get someone up to the PL for example or keep say Newcastle or Huddersfield or Burnley or Palace in the league.

Debatable considering the markets, most Italian clubs are not very rich, it's similar to the issue with selling to Holland we had with Clasie and Tadic, they are not suddenly going to dump £15-20 million on player like most PL clubs.

Whereas I'd reckon quite a few Championship clubs and maybe the odd lower PL club would probably stump up £12 - 15 million for Austin, he is a proven goalscorer, he could easily score the goals to get someone up to the PL for example or keep say Newcastle or Huddersfield or Burnley or Palace in the league.

we can get £15m for Austin?