Strikers for 18/19

Dusic

Unfair to criticize Austin based on today’s game. He played most of the time when the whole team couldn’t keep the ball for 10 seconds in a row and almost never made it to the final third. He was totally isolated, even Messi would have been crap the first 60 minutes of this game.

that's fair, but in a mediocre side that doesn't create much can we afford to carry a goalhanger? Great player to bring on when we are pressing for a goal, but we could do with a little more movement and pace.

that's fair, but in a mediocre side that doesn't create much can we afford to carry a goalhanger? Great player to bring on when we are pressing for a goal, but we could do with a little more movement and pace.

I think this is true. Austin is a good player to have on if you're peppering their box with crosses but the further from goal he has to play, the less effective he becomes.

**** me its like a one man crusade I think everybody knows how you feel about him from the day he walked through the door..
Ultimately after 14 goals in two and a half years it looks like I am spot on and there are certainly others who are in agreement and can see the obvious.

Its almost like people have adopted Austin's career history of goals and imagined he scored them all for Saints, such is the acclaim he gets.

He got a standing ovation today which was quite baffling.

(Imagine the contrast to if Redmond, who was actually excellent, had been subbed...it would have been muted)

Ultimately after 14 goals in two and a half years it looks like I am spot on and there are certainly others who are in agreement and can see the obvious.

Its almost like people have adopted Austin's career history of goals and imagined he scored them all for Saints, such is the acclaim he gets.

He got a standing ovation today which was quite baffling.

(Imagine the contrast to if Redmond, who was actually excellent, had been subbed...it would have been muted)

I get you don't like him, but you are purposefully being misleading here. Two points, first 14 goals is likely more than anyone else we have. Second, you continue to overlook the fact that he was injured for 1/2 seasons twice, and didn't play many minute that first 1/2 season. Regardless of all the faults you love to list daily, he does score a goal every 1.5 -2 matches. Again this is far better than anyone else we have, and shows he does have a lot of value for us.

Lets face it all three of our main strikers where involved yesterday and none managed to score.... so no change there.

In hindsight we would have been better starting with Gabbi and bringing on Austin for the last 20.

In the end though we still miss a good CF that the ball can stick to upfront.

Ultimately after 14 goals in two and a half years it looks like I am spot on

You are not even vaguely 'on', '14 goals in two and half years' is a complete disingenuous statement for a start because he has had injuries, which no one disputes and was always woefully under used by Pellegrino last year.

When he started and got a run of games, he consistently scored goals. 5 goals in 10 starts last year.

He'll score goals, that is proven by his record, whatever muppets like you try to claim. Trying to slate him after he ran his arse off against one of the best defensive sides in the league, with virtually no support in a crap formation, just shows how biased and unobjective you are. He got a standing ovation because our fans recognised he put in a shift with little help.

As a Scottish manager once said (can't remember who, but not WGS), when asked about his main striker: "He can't pass, can't tackle, can't track back. He's useless. All he does is score goals."

Sounds like our Charlie. :lol:

Disagree. In the first half, when Cedric decided he was centre forward and Burnley broke, who was back defending in the Itchen/Chapel corner by the corner flag?

(But agree with that saying).

Austin is utter garbage. Don't see him offering anything for the majority of the game, and we cannot afford to carry him. Have to play Ings up top, with maybe Gabbi in behind or Elyounoussi depending on how we set up.

Would quite like to see a front 6 of...

---------------Lemina---Hojbjerg-------------

Redmond-------Gabbiadini----------Elyounoussi

----------------------Ings---------------------

You are not even vaguely 'on', '14 goals in two and half years' is a complete disingenuous statement for a start because he has had injuries, which no one disputes and was always woefully under used by Pellegrino last year.

When he started and got a run of games, he consistently scored goals. 5 goals in 10 starts last year.

He'll score goals, that is proven by his record, whatever muppets like you try to claim. Trying to slate him after he ran his arse off against one of the best defensive sides in the league, with virtually no support in a crap formation, just shows how biased and unobjective you are. He got a standing ovation because our fans recognised he put in a shift with little help.

Yep, good post. I don't understand why some are so quick to write off the one striker we have who has a consistent goalscoring record throughout his career. If he gets decent service he will score, simple as that.

You can criticise his fitness, but not his goalscoring ability which is better than any other striker at the club, no question.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Gonna hazard a guess it's Shane Long, given he wasn't in the 18 yesterday.
I would be suprised. For a start:

1. He wouldn't get in that 18 based on ability or performance so could have few arguments (since his bumper new deal he has been beyond ****e)

2. I'm pretty sure Saints would happily have sold/loaned him had there been genuine interest

3. He doesn't seem like the type

So those not in the squad....Yoshi, Davies, Long, Sims, Targett, McQueen, Gallagher, Reed,

I can imagine that Yoshi comes back from a relatively successful WC and expects to push on. Maybe that is the reference to doing a Fonte. Doesn't seem to be in his nature, but who knows what happens behind closed doors. Targett? Being denied a move?

The person who posted this also posted on the uglies that the 'trouble maker' is someone who is regarded as a starter in the side currently.

but one of the ones causing trouble is a pretty much a guaranteed starter

which suggest he is not alone!!

Edited by Batman

So those not in the squad....Yoshi, Davies, Long, Sims, Targett, McQueen, Gallagher, Reed,

I can imagine that Yoshi comes back from a relatively successful WC and expects to push on. Maybe that is the reference to doing a Fonte. Doesn't seem to be in his nature, but who knows what happens behind closed doors. Targett? Being denied a move?

From those I think only Yoshida and Targett really add to the squad. Davis is a good player and good to have around but have too many in his position now, the rest aren't good enough imo. Reed could have been if he got more of a chance in the last few seasons but maybe best for him to move on.

I would be suprised. For a start:

1. He wouldn't get in that 18 based on ability or performance so could have few arguments (since his bumper new deal he has been beyond ****e)

2. I'm pretty sure Saints would happily have sold/loaned him had there been genuine interest

3. He doesn't seem like the type

1 I wouldn't agree with (more he'd have arguments over being in the side, rather than him deserving a place..), but 2+3 are fair. I only guessed him as he wasn't in the squad and it's a strikers thread.

The person who posted this also posted on the uglies that the 'trouble maker' is someone who is regarded as a starter in the side currently.

which suggest he is not alone!!

I'm intrigued. Starter...one who a bigger club came sniffing (the Fonte thing). Mario??

I'm intrigued. Starter...one who a bigger club came sniffing (the Fonte thing). Mario??

Do wonder how well Bertrand has taken to having to stay another year, when it's been rumoured for the past few seasons he's wanted to go.

Gallagher didn't make the final 18, but he was definitely involved with the match day squad - there's pictures of him on their pre-match walkabout. Didn't see Long.

I'd find it hard to believe Yoshi would get all Billy big potatoes, but he's the only member of the squad who returned from the WC with an improved reputation (a la Fonte). Does Bednarek, having played all three games at the WC, now think he's a bit more important than the guy who spent three quarters of last season playing for the u23s?

Obviously the most believable malcontent would be Cedric, having been mysteriously absent all preseason and one of our few saleable assets.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

They're not all happy, and they're not all acting in the most professional way behind the scenes. One is even acting in similar ways to Jose Fonte at the moment.

i’ll hazard a guess that it’s Mr Stomach Bug after his agent has been sounded out by a ‘big club’

Austin is utter garbage. Don't see him offering anything for the majority of the game, and we cannot afford to carry him. Have to play Ings up top, with maybe Gabbi in behind or Elyounoussi depending on how we set up.

Would quite like to see a front 6 of...

---------------Lemina---Hojbjerg-------------

Redmond-------Gabbiadini----------Elyounoussi

----------------------Ings---------------------

I wouldn't say Austin is garbage, he just shouldn't play when we have 3 CBs as that formation doesn't offer enough support for him in matches where we are mostly defending like we were during his time on the pitch yesterday. His build-up play isn't good enough when playing with only 3 attacking-minded players. If we go 4-2-3-1 and have 4 players further forward he will do quite well as he can rely more on others to create the chances for him rather than having to be involved in the build-up. At the end of the day he will convert chances, but sometimes he prevents the team from creating as many chances as they would if we were to start Ings or Gabbi who work much better in the build-up play.

i’ll hazard a guess that it’s Mr Stomach Bug after his agent has been sounded out by a ‘big club’

That’s what I thought as well, although Lemina cane to mind as well. Would explain why Saints were getting linked late in the window to RBs. Bertrand is a possibility although think he just has a considered demeanour and wasn’t cracking jokes when we were top 6 either.

Hope Hughes crushes it though.

Saints is a club that works best with good discipline; Bates, Lawrie, WGS, Nigel, Poch and Ronald.

Of the regular starters, I can’t see it being Austin, Gabi, Romeu, Yoshi or any of the newbies.

"Guaranteed starters"

McCarthy

Cedric

Bertrand

Hoedt

Romeu

Austin

(Based on Hughes's 11 games in charge)

Hoedt, guaranteed starter, you're having a larf. Pretty sure if Yoshida had been available Hoedt would have been on the bench (at best). Austin also is not a guaranteed starter, now that we have Ings. Only the first three on your list could presumably be included in this category, and not even sure about McCarthy to be honest.

Hoedt, guaranteed starter, you're having a larf. Pretty sure if Yoshida had been available Hoedt would have been on the bench (at best). Austin also is not a guaranteed starter, now that we have Ings. Only the first three on your list could presumably be included in this category, and not even sure about McCarthy to be honest.
Hughes has been in charge for 11 games. Hoedt has started and completed 90 minutes in all 11.

If that's not the definition of a guaranteed starter, what the hell is?

Hughes has been in charge for 11 games. Hoedt has started and completed 90 minutes in all 11.

You can prove anything with facts.

Cedric probably thought it was his time to leave this summer. Ideas above his station. Definite parallels with Fonte in terms of absence from in-house club media.

Lemina my other suspect for causing a stink behind the scenes. All the stuff about him missing training because his wife is heavily pregnant - still no sign of the sprog though. Cryptic crap on instagram about ‘trusting the process’ and he also seems an arrogant tit. Anyone not sat through one of the countless Instagram stories of him miming to a song in his car and wanted to smash their fist through their phone? That awful hashtag of his can do one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest we are not the only club with unrest from time to time, footballers at this level live in a different

world so you are always going to get the adult brat show up from time to time, its how the club deal with it that matters

and the fact it is only based on rumours with no actual facts it seems that they are doing a decent job and handling it pretty well..

Most clubs Mourinho ends up at seem to be in turmoil. Currently, if the papers are to be believed, Pogba is one. Martial another. Rashford possibly too. Shaw seems to be remarkably patient with a manager who has treated him fairly shoddily (whether justified or not, to do it in public is poor).

Gallagher didn't make the final 18, but he was definitely involved with the match day squad - there's pictures of him on their pre-match walkabout. Didn't see Long.

I'd find it hard to believe Yoshi would get all Billy big potatoes, but he's the only member of the squad who returned from the WC with an improved reputation (a la Fonte). Does Bednarek, having played all three games at the WC, now think he's a bit more important than the guy who spent three quarters of last season playing for the u23s?

Obviously the most believable malcontent would be Cedric, having been mysteriously absent all preseason and one of our few saleable assets.

It has been whispered to me, that he's off!

Cedric probably thought it was his time to leave this summer. Ideas above his station. Definite parallels with Fonte in terms of absence from in-house club media.

Lemina my other suspect for causing a stink behind the scenes. All the stuff about him missing training because his wife is heavily pregnant - still no sign of the sprog though. Cryptic crap on instagram about ‘trusting the process’ and he also seems an arrogant tit. Anyone not sat through one of the countless Instagram stories of him miming to a song in his car and wanted to smash their fist through their phone? That awful hashtag of his can do one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest you unfollow Lemina on instagram and stick to watch him play instead.

Austin was woeful today. Most interested in winning fouls rather than competing for anything.

Obviously the fanboys won't agree but for me he just isn't good enough outside the area and shoukd be 3rd choice.

He cannot press, pass, hold the ball up, win headers, make runs to be an outlet when under pressure, link play, assist.

Ings showed what a quality front player does.

He was a very prolific goalscorer years ago in non-league football and later in the lower divisions but he hasn't been able to cut the mustard here not least because he is now 29 and the PL has become a sprinters paradise. Austin is just too old, slow and cumbersome and there are no easy fixes for him.

He was a very prolific goalscorer years ago in non-league football and later in the lower divisions but he hasn't been able to cut the mustard here not least because he is now 29 and the PL has become a sprinters paradise. Austin is just too old, slow and cumbersome and there are no easy fixes for him.

Regrettably, his goose is cooked.

Glenn Murray....

If by lower league football you mean the PL in 2015 where he got 18 goals, then I agree. He is still the far and away leader for us in goals / time played, and its not even close. Without a good dose of revisionist history, a person can not say he isn't the prolific striker we have. Sure if our midfield is getting abused like normal, and the strikers have to come out to the center of hte pitch just to get touches, then yes Ings/Gabbi/even Long are better, since they are basically playing midfield then. If thats happening we are in big trouble anyway.

I've always said for a counter attack setup, against someone like ManCity where we are going to sit back and take an occasional shot on long balls, that Gabbi is the guy not Austin. However when its a game where we have possession, and can work into attacking positions in our offensive 1/3, then Austin is the best we have.

From what I have seen Hughes see's it this way too.

If by lower league football you mean the PL in 2015 where he got 18 goals, then I agree. He is still the far and away leader for us in goals / time played, and its not even close. Without a good dose of revisionist history, a person can not say he isn't the prolific striker we have. Sure if our midfield is getting abused like normal, and the strikers have to come out to the center of hte pitch just to get touches, then yes Ings/Gabbi/even Long are better, since they are basically playing midfield then. If thats happening we are in big trouble anyway.

I've always said for a counter attack setup, against someone like ManCity where we are going to sit back and take an occasional shot on long balls, that Gabbi is the guy not Austin. However when its a game where we have possession, and can work into attacking positions in our offensive 1/3, then Austin is the best we have.

From what I have seen Hughes see's it this way too.

For long stretches of the game against Burnley we hardly had the ball, so its far from a foregone conclusion that we'll be a possession-positive side this season - especially if we elect to play 3 CBs regularly.

The games where Yoshi was either injured or suspended or Stephens was suspended. Because we were playing 3CBs there was not much option for several of these games but to play him. He is not a guaranteed starter by any stretch of the imagination, unless Les Reed wrote it into his contract. Also I recall reading during the Summer that he was not happy at Saints, could be the malcontent that is being discussed on this thread. Would be a loss long term, he will be good one day, just a bit of a calamity at present due to his lack of concentration and high self-opinion of his ability

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...