Strikers for 18/19

Dusic

Austin is by far our best striker, he is the most reliable source of goals we have, he just gets injured.

But if he had been played from the start of the season, he would have played way more games had over 30 league games this season.

Pellegrino didn't start him in the league until the 4-1 win over Everton (where he scored twice), so he was fit and available for 11 league games before that and barely played, coming off the bench a handful of times.

I also get the impression Huges likes Long so he'll stay.

Gabbi will be down to whether he wants to stay I reckon and any family problems.

Carrillo we will struggle to give away, might get him to go on loan.

I reckon next year we'll still have Long, Austin, + one new striker and maybe still Gabbi.

I quite like CA but he really looked as if he couldn't run or was worried his hamstrings would go again and so didn't sprint.There was an attack where he laid the ball off and then just trotted to the box, by the time he got there the ball had been and gone.

I understand he is a goalscorer but his mobility is a big problem.

He may have recovered from his last injury by August but I would be concerned if he was our main forward next season

I think Charlie will score bags of goals in the right setup, but you need him in the box. What you need around him to make up for his lack of mobility are runners, pace and power. And I'm not suggesting Long is the answer for that either.

He looks poor when he's isolated on his own and is running onto balls, that's not his game, never has been and never will be. He'll put in a good shift as that's what he does, but really you need to get him in the 6 yard box, get him to stay there and have quality in and around him to supply the ball.

I think Charlie will score bags of goals in the right setup, but you need him in the box. What you need around him to make up for his lack of mobility are runners, pace and power. And I'm not suggesting Long is the answer for that either.

He looks poor when he's isolated on his own and is running onto balls, that's not his game, never has been and never will be. He'll put in a good shift as that's what he does, but really you need to get him in the 6 yard box, get him to stay there and have quality in and around him to supply the ball.

Really? Lets roll out Rickie as he may as well stand in the box and he would finish as well

+1. Salah doesn't grow on trees. Austin, Long, and Gabbi (although I think he's leaving) are normal PL quality. Think through all the 20 teams, you can pick the better stirkers than Austin on your fingers (less than 10 for those counting impaired). Austin isn't slow, he isn't quick. Once he gets going he's actually go speed.

Two comments:

1. Long (2 in 47) isn't "normal PL quality".

2. Austin is most definitely slow.

Two comments:

1. Long (2 in 47) isn't "normal PL quality".

2. Austin is most definitely slow.

Not according to this thread, listing the sprint and fitness results from the beginning of the season tests. IMO he isn't laterly quick like Long, but once he gets going he's pretty fast. I think people see the shuttle back and forth and assume he has no speed. However on his runs he does run open.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?58693-Saints-1st-team-player-data-stats-from-Hoedt-video&highlight=austin+fast#.WvmjUkO5vIU

Not according to this thread, listing the sprint and fitness results from the beginning of the season tests. IMO he isn't laterly quick like Long, but once he gets going he's pretty fast. I think people see the shuttle back and forth and assume he has no speed. However on his runs he does run open.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?58693-Saints-1st-team-player-data-stats-from-Hoedt-video&highlight=austin+fast#.WvmjUkO5vIU

Sorry but that is old figures and pre his latest injury. He was slow out there yesterday and it was pretty obvious to all to see. Again it is probably due to his hamstring injuries he has suffered and mentally it is bound to hamper.

+1. Salah doesn't grow on trees. Austin, Long, and Gabbi (although I think he's leaving) are normal PL quality. Think through all the 20 teams, you can pick the better stirkers than Austin on your fingers (less than 10 for those counting impaired). Austin isn't slow, he isn't quick. Once he gets going he's actually go speed. However he makes good runs, and opens up space for others even if he's not getting the ball. This was pointed out by Hughes numerous times, and an example is Redmond's goal against Everton. In addition the guy gets shots off consistently, who else do we have you can say that about. You know in a full game Austin will get 5 or so quality attempts no matter what.

All three of those have been outscored by the likes of Glenn Murray and Chris Wood, FFS.

Austin - good finisher, otherwise generally fairly average, fitness very questionable and can't really be relied upon.

Long - great athlete, lower league footballer.

Gabbiadini - leaving.

I'd be happy to keep Long as a squad player, as he has tactical uses. When you're defending a lead and want fresh legs off the bench he's great. If you want to set up deeply and have an outlet he's useful.

Austin would be good in old school 4-4-2 playing the littleman/fox in the box feeding off flick-ons from a bigman type CF sadly for Austin its not 1988 anymore..

I really like Shane Long (I'm a sucker for a trier) but its time to admit he's just not a good enough finisher to warrant the label of striker surely we can find a player with Longs pace and work ethic who can actually score a few goals as well.

• 2 months later...
Still need a lot of work needed in the attacking area.

Need a striker to start and another wide player now Boufal has gone.

We've got the strikers we need the midfield to serve them. Yet again today the strikers were starved of support and had to keep going back to collect the ball.

Given Long was not in the squad today, does that suggest that he is on his way out? Could be injured of course. We have 3 to come back from the WC, with the 21 players there today (excluding Josh Sims who is an u21) that would seem to be our squad for this season (yes, even with Classie). Long's absence would suggest we are possibly looking to bring one in up front.

Given Long was not in the squad today, does that suggest that he is on his way out? Could be injured of course. We have 3 to come back from the WC, with the 21 players there today (excluding Josh Sims who is an u21) that would seem to be our squad for this season (yes, even with Classie). Long's absence would suggest we are possibly looking to bring one in up front.

Bit in papers tomorrow I believe about long

We've got the strikers we need the midfield to serve them. Yet again today the strikers were starved of support and had to keep going back to collect the ball.

A good attack comes from having a solid defensive base to allow the midfielders and fullbacks to get forward to support the attack. I can imagine any central midfielder or fullback in our team will have next to no confidence that the keystone cops at the back can cover them if the push up.

Take it as you want...

Through a friend of a friend etc etc.

Longs in Scotland..pretty much gone.

Club want a striker.

Danny ings was at staplewood for a charity football thing. But club have absolutely no interest in signing him.

Danny welbeck...13.5m

Take it as you want...

Club want a striker.

Danny ings was at staplewood for a charity football thing. But club have absolutely no interest in signing him.

Danny welbeck...13.5m

Welbeck could be ok though his goal record isn't overly great (or at least I thought it would be better) best goal tally he has every managed in a league season is 9 goals (which if fairness is an upgrade on our last couple of seasons) and that was for the 2011-2012 Man Utd team not sure what he would do in our team.

Take it as you want...

Club want a striker.

Danny welbeck...13.5m

That seems to have a certain internal consistency. Long could do well in Scotland (C or R).

Ings is a local lad hence his presence, but any interest has been denied pretty strongly.

We definitely need a new striker.

Welbeck appears to be on his way.

Thanks for that, and for that price he'd be a good buy in today's market. I thought Everton were sniffing, but then at the moment they seem to have a permanent cold..

That seems to have a certain internal consistency. Long could do well in Scotland (C or R).

Ings is a local lad hence his presence, but any interest has been denied pretty strongly.

Thanks for that, and for that price he'd be a good buy in today's market. I thought Everton were sniffing, but then at the moment they seem to have a permanent cold..

Welbeck appears to be on his way? To who, us?

wot?

Welbeck (when fit) would be an ideal player for us, gives an ability to hold up the ball a bit but also run in behind and could also play out wide if needed.

Should be targetting that more rounded profile of player for sure.

Welbeck (when fit) would be an ideal player for us, gives an ability to hold up the ball a bit but also run in behind and could also play out wide if needed.

Should be targetting that more rounded profile of player for sure.

Note exactly prolific though his best tally in the league is 9 in a season and that was playing for Ferguson's Man u about seven years ago.

Note exactly prolific though his best tally in the league is 9 in a season and that was playing for Ferguson's Man u about seven years ago.
Has never really been a regular at those top clubs though.

Feel his attributes would get more from the likes of Redmond and Moi than our static strikers.

Has never really been a regular at those top clubs though.

Feel his attributes would get more from the likes of Redmond and Moi than our static strikers.

I'm happy for us to give him ago it might work out I just don't think he'll score that many.

Having said that I think clubs like us have been priced our of prolific strikers at PL level I think most clubs outside the top 6 would consider a 10 goal a season man a success these days.

Welbeck could be ok though his goal record isn't overly great (or at least I thought it would be better) best goal tally he has every managed in a league season is 9 goals (which if fairness is an upgrade on our last couple of seasons) and that was for the 2011-2012 Man Utd team not sure what he would do in our team.

16 goals in 40 England appearances. Good enough for me.

I’d be sorry to see Long go because he’s an exciting threat but have to admit he hasn’t delivered over the last year. I’d like to see Gallagher retained and given his chance. Reading about the bids for him, surely selling would be a mistake.

Welbeck would be a massive upgrade on Long and anyone who thinks differently is a moron.

There’s a difference between ‘good’ and ‘a massive upgrade on Long’. For example a hump-back whale carcass decomposing in the 6 yard box would probably deflect in 6 or 7 crosses or corners per season. That would qualify as the latter but not the former.