Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Strikers for 18/19

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    He was a very prolific goalscorer years ago in non-league football and later in the lower divisions but he hasn't been able to cut the mustard here not least because he is now 29 and the PL has become a sprinters paradise. Austin is just too old, slow and cumbersome and there are no easy fixes for him.
    If by lower league football you mean the PL in 2015 where he got 18 goals, then I agree. He is still the far and away leader for us in goals / time played, and its not even close. Without a good dose of revisionist history, a person can not say he isn't the prolific striker we have. Sure if our midfield is getting abused like normal, and the strikers have to come out to the center of hte pitch just to get touches, then yes Ings/Gabbi/even Long are better, since they are basically playing midfield then. If thats happening we are in big trouble anyway.

I've always said for a counter attack setup, against someone like ManCity where we are going to sit back and take an occasional shot on long balls, that Gabbi is the guy not Austin. However when its a game where we have possession, and can work into attacking positions in our offensive 1/3, then Austin is the best we have.

From what I have seen Hughes see's it this way too.

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    If by lower league football you mean the PL in 2015 where he got 18 goals, then I agree. He is still the far and away leader for us in goals / time played, and its not even close. Without a good dose of revisionist history, a person can not say he isn't the prolific striker we have. Sure if our midfield is getting abused like normal, and the strikers have to come out to the center of hte pitch just to get touches, then yes Ings/Gabbi/even Long are better, since they are basically playing midfield then. If thats happening we are in big trouble anyway.

I've always said for a counter attack setup, against someone like ManCity where we are going to sit back and take an occasional shot on long balls, that Gabbi is the guy not Austin. However when its a game where we have possession, and can work into attacking positions in our offensive 1/3, then Austin is the best we have.

From what I have seen Hughes see's it this way too.
    For long stretches of the game against Burnley we hardly had the ball, so its far from a foregone conclusion that we'll be a possession-positive side this season - especially if we elect to play 3 CBs regularly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyell View Post
    Hughes has been in charge for 11 games. Hoedt has started and completed 90 minutes in all 11.

If that's not the definition of a guaranteed starter, what the hell is?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
    The games where Yoshi was either injured or suspended or Stephens was suspended. Because we were playing 3CBs there was not much option for several of these games but to play him. He is not a guaranteed starter by any stretch of the imagination, unless Les Reed wrote it into his contract. Also I recall reading during the Summer that he was not happy at Saints, could be the malcontent that is being discussed on this thread. Would be a loss long term, he will be good one day, just a bit of a calamity at present due to his lack of concentration and high self-opinion of his ability

Three games in and we are back to Shane Long up front.

Something has gone wrong.

Austin beyond awful at the moment.

Still not sure why Saints fans love the guy so much - he has about 14 goals in nearly 3 years at Saints!

Shouldn't be considered as a starting option anymore.

Agreed he to call him a premier league player is ridiculous! Looks unfit offers nothing and should of been moved on two seasons ago and upgraded same as the other shyte in this team...

Austin today - worst striker performance that I have ever seen in a live Saints game.

Effort non-existent. An absolute disgrace.

Why some Sainta fans love him is beyond me. He has been a terrible signing on big wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    Austin today - worst striker performance that I have ever seen in a live Saints game.

Effort non-existent. An absolute disgrace.

Why some Sainta fans love him is beyond me. He has been a terrible signing on big wages.
    This. He’s an utter mess of a bloke too.

No strikers ever look good on the Saints. Gabbi sucks too, Ing has been so so, Lnog stinks. Maybe its because our mids don't know how to attack and create opportunities. They leave any striker isolated. Until we fix that, we could have Kane upfront and it won't matter. The only time the strikers get involved is when the other team goes into "park the bus" mode at the end of matches. Our attack is basically pass the ball 100 times back and forth, then just kick it up and hope we get a lucky bounce

No strikers ever look good on the Saints. Gabbi sucks too, Ing has been so so, Lnog stinks. Maybe its because our mids don't know how to attack and create opportunities. They leave any striker isolated. Until we fix that, we could have Kane upfront and it won't matter. The only time the strikers get involved is when the other team goes into "park the bus" mode at the end of matches. Our attack is basically pass the ball 100 times back and forth, then just kick it up and hope we get a lucky bounce
    Strongly disagree. A target man who can score is exactly what the teams desperately needs, and I'm convinced he (along with a semi-decent manager) would lift them up to mid table.

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    Strongly disagree. A target man who can score is exactly what the teams desperately needs, and I'm convinced he (along with a semi-decent manager) would lift them up to mid table.
    Could also do with another cb, rb and partner for ings.

As the title of the thread is 18/19 strikers...........just one vaguely competent footballer that realises the object of the exercise is to score a goal would be progress. The current crop of "strikers" should be queuing at the training ground on Monday morning (preferably Sunday to work on their fitness) to hand their excessive salaries back on the basis of incompetence and inability to do the basis job they were hired to complete. They are simply woeful

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Could also do with another cb, rb and partner for ings.
    The front man would be Ings' partner. Agreed about a cb and rb, but for me the front man is priority number one.

Our shots to goals ratio would suggest the complete opposite. Listening to talk sport during the game and we have one of the highest shot totals, but have scored only 4 percent or something like that. So we are making chances, getting shots away, but it would appear that our finishing is woeful.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I would take Carrillo over Austin at this stage, if only for his presence up top.

Maxi gomez ffs! Get him in!

17. Default

This is still an interesting topic of debate, especially with the window open.

Aside from Carrillo, we have 6 strikers of differing shapes, attributes sizes & fitness.

- Ings
    - Austin
    - Long
    - Gabbiadini
    - Gallagher
    - Obafemi

Gabbi is likely off. So do we think Ralph will want another?

18. Default

I see Leganes have taken Martin Braithwaite from Boro on loan for the rest of the season. Does this have any affect on Carrillo?

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    I see Leganes have taken Martin Braithwaite from Boro on loan for the rest of the season. Does this have any affect on Carrillo?
    I would assume he's there for the season. Hughes bombed him out so wouldn't have thought he would've wanted the option to recall.

Ings and Obafemi are the only ones with a future at Saints I think.

Its just a question of how quickly we can get rid of the others.

21. Default

I'm hoping Obafemi is Shane Long, but with technique & goals.

22. Default

To add to the debate, Austin will be probably receive a ban from the FA for his two fingers at the Citeh booing.

Austin will stay and perhaps Long for now, sorry to disappoint..
    Are you suggesting we get rid of all but the 2 you mention? would leave us a bit short surely

Quote Originally Posted by ALWAYS_SFC View Post
    Austin will stay and perhaps Long for now, sorry to disappoint..
    Are you suggesting we get rid of all but the 2 you mention? would leave us a bit short surely
    Well just a wild stab in the dark, but maybe... just maybe... he thinks we would actually replace them?

Quote Originally Posted by ErwinK1961 View Post
    Well just a wild stab in the dark, but maybe... just maybe... he thinks we would actually replace them?

Well done!!

Perhaps in the summer but not now...

I think it says something that Austin is still in the picture. When Hasenhuttl arrived pretty much everyone - even those who think he is a decent player - thought it was curtains for Charlie, but he's still getting game time. Instead it's Gabbiadini who is heading out the door. Admittedly, Gabbiadini hardly fits the mould either, but surely does more than Austin. Perhaps Austin's attitude has been good and he's showing a bit more than we thought he was capable of.

Gabbi all but gone after last nights meeting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mrfahaji View Post
    I think it says something that Austin is still in the picture. When Hasenhuttl arrived pretty much everyone - even those who think he is a decent player - thought it was curtains for Charlie, but he's still getting game time. Instead it's Gabbiadini who is heading out the door. Admittedly, Gabbiadini hardly fits the mould either, but surely does more than Austin. Perhaps Austin's attitude has been good and he's showing a bit more than we thought he was capable of.
    Suspect it's more to do with Gabbi potentially having more significant resale value. If RH doesn't really rate either of them as suitable for his preferred style, it makes sense to protect the one you're going to try and flog to raise funds.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfahaji View Post
    Players only leave if there is someone willing to buy them. Gabbi wants to go back to Italy and his agent has done the work to generate interest from clubs. Austin on the other hand is happy here, so his agent hasn't been out flogging him. He also hasn't done anything much to attract unsolicited attention, sadly.

30. Default

Quote Originally Posted by verlaine1979 View Post
    Suspect it's more to do with Gabbi potentially having more significant resale value. If RH doesn't really rate either of them as suitable for his preferred style, it makes sense to protect the one you're going to try and flog to raise funds.
    Debatable considering the markets, most Italian clubs are not very rich, it's similar to the issue with selling to Holland we had with Clasie and Tadic, they are not suddenly going to dump 15-20 million on player like most PL clubs.

Whereas I'd reckon quite a few Championship clubs and maybe the odd lower PL club would probably stump up 12 - 15 million for Austin, he is a proven goalscorer, he could easily score the goals to get someone up to the PL for example or keep say Newcastle or Huddersfield or Burnley or Palace in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by tajjuk View Post
    Debatable considering the markets, most Italian clubs are not very rich, it's similar to the issue with selling to Holland we had with Clasie and Tadic, they are not suddenly going to dump 15-20 million on player like most PL clubs.

Whereas I'd reckon quite a few Championship clubs and maybe the odd lower PL club would probably stump up 12 - 15 million for Austin, he is a proven goalscorer, he could easily score the goals to get someone up to the PL for example or keep say Newcastle or Huddersfield or Burnley or Palace in the league.
    we can get 15m for Austin?