Now it’s over, how bad was Pellegrino really

Batman

Reason I ask as heard a clip from a ‘Saints fab’ on 5Live (clip from a review of the season) saying he was right behind pellegrino despite the results and we should give him two seasons to make us into his team.

Now, how bad was he really?

I am in ‘fuking appalling’ camp..

Tactically inept. As a leader, completely uninspiring but I can't bring myself to hate him. It's not his fault he was given a job well outside his comfort zone. Don't blame him for not resigning either. Why should he? Ultimately nice bloke, heart in right place, very dignified exit from him too.

Welcome back any time as a fan but in no other capacity.

There were times in his tunnel interviews after certain games where he looked like he had been crying and fumbled words about learning/growing

Held on to the end though. He must have known he was going to relegate us, despite outward appearances

I wish him no bad feelings, and he isn't a bad manager as he did well with Alaves the season previous, but he was completely out of his depth here and just not suited in any way, shape or form to this league.

I also blame his coaches because they were responsible for us being woefully unfit.

Without doubt, in my opinion, the worst manager the Premier League has ever seen. He may work elsewhere, but certainly not in this league. Notable was Boufal's reaction after his wonder goal vs. West Brom. I personally enjoyed that, because I thought he'd been handled appallingly by MP, but nonetheless a manager should not stand for that. Look at how Hughes has treated Boufal after what appears to be a similar disagreement.

Soft, out of his depth, painfully **** 'style' of football. Thank god for Mark Hughes (never thought I'd have said that 12 months ago).

I may have mentioned it once or twice in passing, but he was unfit to manage at this level. Anybody who for some reason feels sorry for him, should remember that he was paid millions to produce garbage football on a weekly basis, bulls#it his way out of any responsibility for improving it, and then repeat the same mistakes a week later. Apparently that makes him 'nice' and 'honourable'. :?

His plan seemed to be keeping everyone behind the ball, not because it was to play on the break but because he had no idea how to set up a team to defend otherwise. The worst manager in my lifetime considering the resources he had.

I may have mentioned it once or twice in passing, but he was unfit to manage at this level. Anybody who for some reason feels sorry for him, should remember that he was paid millions to produce garbage football on a weekly basis, bulls#it his way out of any responsibility for improving it, and then repeat the same mistakes a week later. Apparently that makes him 'nice' and 'honourable'. :?

He managed perfectly competently (if not thrillingly) at an equal level in La Liga. He's nice and honourable because he's nice and honourable.

I think you will find Billy Davies has that accolade sewn up.

Billy Davies didn't have a team that had just come 8th and got to a cup final. He had a team that had come 3rd in the Championship, full of Championship players and journeymen. He was also sacked by December, so he wasn't even primarily responsible for that awful season. Pellegrino, with the resources available to him, was the worst manager this league has ever seen, for me.

I think you will find Billy Davies has that accolade sewn up.

Billy Davies had a significantly less talented squad to work with. Derby were expected to go down, this Saints squad for all its problems shouldn't have been near the relegation battle if managed correctly. Mark Hughes has highlighted that if managed well it is far better than it looked under Pellegrino. The manager was a huge part of the problem, not the quality of player in the squad. If Sean Dyche or Rafa Benitez managed us this season, we'd probably have been top half again. I'd rather our squad than Burnley's or Newcastle's, but good mangers got them to perform.

Edited by Matthew Le God

His football wasn't pretty to watch, but it should have been more effective than it was.

One of his main problems was that on top of everything else, he wasn't a lucky manager. Our goals scored is well below our expected goals from the chances we created this season.

That meant the players lost confidence, which contributed to poorer performances.

Bringing in Hughes helped to give the players confidence and belief again. That alone got us playing better, as well as the more positive tactics.

Billy Davies didn't have a team that had just come 8th and got to a cup final. He had a team that had come 3rd in the Championship, full of Championship players and journeymen. He was also sacked by December, so he wasn't even primarily responsible for that awful season. Pellegrino, with the resources available to him, was the worst manager this league has ever seen, for me.

Yep, I remember predicting that Derby would “definitely finish bottom because they are terrible” that season. Didn’t forecast them getting a record low points, but their lack of quality was obvious.

he knew he would relegate us, he clearly realised he was out of his depth BUT despite that would have seen it through to the end just so he could bank the dollars.

a braver, more honourable man would have fallen on his sword long before he was fired.

Yes, and a proactive, decisive Board/Head of Football would have provided that sword long before they did.

He was the worst manager I can recall in 42 years of supporting The Saints.

Worse than Wigley, Portaloo, Wotte, Branfoot......

Yes. The clown is as thick as a pile of bricks, and is a fraud masquerading as a manager. Truly appalling. He makes Wigley and Br*nf**t look like Mourinho.

But don't forget Saggy, who I think just about edges him for top spot in the all-time worst list. That bastard relegated us, thumbed up Mad Milan after the 4-1 nightmare at Krapp Nottarf, and generally did his best to slag off and undermine our players. He knew how to spend other people's money, but had no idea or interest in coaching. Another fraud, and obnoxious to boot. And of course he buggered off back to P*mp*y as he left the sinking ship.

He struggled. I didn't like that he abandoned 3 at the back despite that cup loss. Having said that, he was hamstrung by playing a completely void of confidence keeper and weak attackers. There were a bunch of games where we could've turned those draws into wins and we'd have been safe in an uneventful season.

He was out of his depth and an active Board would have put him out of his (and our) misery much earlier but he was not as bad as Branfoot who introduced ugly football and he was not as bad as Saggy Arry who was fraudulent

I’ve been going down the Saints since 1978, I have watched some piles of steaming you know what in that time, not once in that time have I ever considered making an early get away from a game to “beat the rush”, until this season.

I hasten to add that despite the turd I have witnessed this season I have stuck it out.

Just terrible. Totally out of his depth, looked bewildered and confused in interviews like he was completely lost. How he was ever given the job is the issue. Seemed like a nice guy, but again another football guy who would have stayed knowing he would send us down, until he got his 4 million to walk away. Have no sympathy for another multi millionaire flop, but wish him all the best.

I would love to know why he didn't deliver the attacking football we were promised when he was recruited. Something very very odd there. Answering that one would give a far better insight into the total failure that defined his time here. Should have been pushed way earlier - after Leicester at Home.