Now it’s over, how bad was Pellegrino really

Batman

He finishes 8th in La Liga. Leaves, goes to England to join the team that finishes 8th. We end up in 17th, he joins the team who finished 17th in La Liga.

I'm not someone who bets but if I did, I'd be tempted to put a substantial wager on Leganés being relegated

He finishes 8th in La Liga. Leaves, goes to England to join the team that finishes 8th. We end up in 17th, he joins the team who finished 17th in La Liga.

I'm not someone who bets but if I did, I'd be tempted to put a substantial wager on Leganés being relegated

World-class analysis pal.

In hindsight, one of his biggest issues was lack of management and leadership skills. Managing 25 top athletes with ego's takes a strong guy, like Hughes is and MP wasn't. I get the feeling some players walked all over him. The Boufal issue comes to mind, I wonder what crap he was pulling with MP? He tried to do it with Hughes, and Hughes took care of it immediately.

I look back on all this, and the thing I am most disappointed about, is that the hype that we were sold about the deep thinker who was a supposed tactical genius never materialised. Not even remotely so.

He was a deep thinker in the same way Peter Seller's Chance the gardener was in Being There.

This season was a perfect **** storm

Recruiting a very Poor manager

Squad with to many average players

Complacency at board level

Compounded by the VVD saga and a change of owners.

Hopefully this was a big kick in the nuts wake up call very everyone at the club

Massive summer ahead if we don't want to through this ****e again next season.

excellent summary, say's it all really

Off topic but I have to wonder what effect a full pre season of Puel overhauling Leicester will have on their performances.

Not much I'd wager. It's not as if we had a bad start last year, or that our performances and results improved over time. It was hardly a last minute appointment at Saints either, I doubt the squad had gone through much other than basic fitness drills by the time he arrived.

This season was a perfect **** storm

Recruiting a very Poor manager

Squad with to many average players

Complacency at board level

Compounded by the VVD saga and a change of owners.

Hopefully this was a big kick in the nuts wake up call very everyone at the club

Massive summer ahead if we don't want to through this ****e again next season.

You might be right with the too many average players, but I would phrase it as too many under-performing players as they didn't even reach average under Pellegrino.

Question I would throw out there is, hypothetically, if we'd appointed Hughes instead of Pellegrino last summer, where do we think we would have finished with the squad we had?

You might be right with the too many average players, but I would phrase it as too many under-performing players as they didn't even reach average under Pellegrino.

Question I would throw out there is, hypothetically, if we'd appointed Hughes instead of Pellegrino last summer, where do we think we would have finished with the squad we had?

Assuming the same squad as well, in his short spell he showed he could get more out of them than MO could (both tactically and attitude/effort wise)

Think Hughes would have won the same games MP won.

Without being over optimistic I think he'd have secured at least an additional 5 wins among our 15 draws, and another 5 draws among our 16 defeats

Which, whilst not spectacular would have put us 8th comfortably above Everton and just behind Burnley

I look back on all this, and the thing I am most disappointed about, is that the hype that we were sold about the deep thinker who was a supposed tactical genius never materialised. Not even remotely so.

Pellegrino IS/WAS a big thinker. He is a very deep thinker. Too much of one.

just not about how to win football matches

I remember someone on the Saints podcast saying they interviewed him and every question, just had a long, deep pause and really pondered even the most simple things then gave an answer to a totally different question.

A bit like Lowe used to do.