Alex McCarthy

lumuah

That contract extension was clueless by Reed. Very simple solution to the Echo article. Better to offer Fraser on a free - to get rid of the wages, might help one of the top 4 hit home grown quota and they might never have to play him. That would mean the club admitting another mistake by their doddery Vice Chair/DoF/Head Tea Marker or whatever Les is now, so no chance of it happening.

I think a lot of McCarthy but I don't think he is worth breaking the bank for in wages. If he is not prepared to take a good wage and is expecting the stupid contract that FF has, then we should sell him. A keeper is only 3 bad games from hero to clown in the eyes of a football fan, and so it is a risk to put him on a mad contract

I think a lot of McCarthy but I don't think he is worth breaking the bank for in wages. If he is not prepared to take a good wage and is expecting the stupid contract that FF has, then we should sell him. A keeper is only 3 bad games from hero to clown in the eyes of a football fan, and so it is a risk to put him on a mad contract

Would agree with you Nick, grateful for MCCarthy’s contribution but has been injured quite a bit before that. Still would offer Fraser a free if it gets us off that idiotic contract given by Les Reed as well

Another cock up from our inept board. The only plus to this is that Alex may not want to sit on the bench and play second fiddle at a bigger club. As a number one, he's a mid or lower table team player, would any of those offer him more than we will. Dreading seeing Fraser back if something isn't sorted out.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Form is temporary ...

People forget that we’ve got world class

Goalkeeping coach Dave Watson to get the best out of Hart. Look at what he’s down for Alex McCarthy. In 19 games

Turned him from a figure of fun to the new Peter Shilton.

The Echo article puts FF’s contract at £58k pw. That is not a stupid contract for a first choice premier league player (not least one who was POTY) McCarthy would expect at least a weekly wage on that region I think?

The Echo article puts FF’s contract at £58k pw. That is not a stupid contract for a first choice premier league player (not least one who was POTY) McCarthy would expect at least a weekly wage on that region I think?

Agree. Should try and keep Alex on a reasonable contract extension if possible, but not at any cost. He deserves to be in the top 20 to 30% of high earners at Saints - but not top or miles better than top. He did a great job for the last 3rd of the season, but not outstanding. He did what an average PL keeper should do, and comparing him to FF does not make him a god! Let's face it - Alex has had a purple patch for about 2% of his entire career to date, so if someone wants to cough up 20 to 25 million for him, let him go I say. Tell FF he has 10 games to sort out his sh1t or he's off on a free transfer. Plenty of decent (not world beaters, but then neither is Alex) keepers in the lower leagues.

That's about the equivalent of £135 of every season ticket.

Agree. Should try and keep Alex on a reasonable contract extension if possible, but not at any cost. He deserves to be in the top 20 to 30% of high earners at Saints - but not top or miles better than top. He did a great job for the last 3rd of the season, but not outstanding. He did what an average PL keeper should do, and comparing him to FF does not make him a god! Let's face it - Alex has had a purple patch for about 2% of his entire career to date, so if someone wants to cough up 20 to 25 million for him, let him go I say. Tell FF he has 10 games to sort out his sh1t or he's off on a free transfer. Plenty of decent (not world beaters, but then neither is Alex) keepers in the lower leagues.

I don't think we can afford to give him the luxury of nearly a quarter of a season to prove himself. By that stage we would be out of the League Cup (or whatever ridiculous sponsors name it has) and the transfer window closed.

Another cock up from our inept board. The only plus to this is that Alex may not want to sit on the bench and play second fiddle at a bigger club. As a number one, he's a mid or lower table team player, would any of those offer him more than we will. Dreading seeing Fraser back if something isn't sorted out.

Agree, this shows the usual dithering and indecision. We should now realise that a new GK is required and be showing FF the door irrespective of McCarthy's situation.

No doubt Les, is relaxed

Dixi ulous idea to give FF 10 games, we've seen far more than enough to know his abilities, we need to offload as soon as possible, along with his GK "coach" mate.

Tell FF he has 10 games to sort out his sh1t or he's off on a free transfer. Plenty of decent (not world beaters, but then neither is Alex) keepers in the lower leagues.

So we are lumbered with a sub standard keeper until January because no one else decent is going to come in as second fiddle to FF if they know he's starting for the first three months

And your threat to Forster seems to be "sort your sh1t out or we pay you the entirety of your contract and you're free to sign for another club who will also pay you a decent enough wack. And, er, we write off about £25m quid".

It's genius.

This may not be a popular view, but... I think FF has had a very bad patch, but all the ability to get back to being one of the best keepers in the Prem. He also comes across as a decent man, professional. He was shocking this season but I think he can come back to form. Much rather some new coaching staff and a boost to FFs confidence to change his form. Other areas of the team (attacking midfielders and CB) needs more urgent attention. McCarthy has had a great 6 months, but he's not suddenly the best keeper in the league.

Sorry to swim against the tide.

This may not be a popular view, but... I think FF has had a very bad patch, but all the ability to get back to being one of the best keepers in the Prem. He also comes across as a decent man, professional. He was shocking this season but I think he can come back to form. Much rather some new coaching staff and a boost to FFs confidence to change his form. Other areas of the team (attacking midfielders and CB) needs more urgent attention. McCarthy has had a great 6 months, but he's not suddenly the best keeper in the league.

FF was not good either last season under Puel.

There are so many things he is not good at.

He has never been any good at commanding his area whether that is to come at for crosses or coming out to smother a through ball.

Add that to the fact he can hardly move on his line to save shots to his right or left especially low ones, Especially post return from his knee injury.

This all combined to the fact that he s sometimes a headless chicken and panics and drops the occasional ball makes him a very bad prem keeper.

It s not about form, it s about becoming above average to bad after his injury, not down to his fault for being unable to getting down to low shots though

Sick of seeing "Forster can get back to form"

He was made to look a lot better than he ever was by having top class cbs in front of him for years and for the most part 2 solid players in front of them too. He is useless at the fundamentals.

McCarthy is a lot, lot better and he has shown that while having very poor players in front of him.

He commands his area, he comes off his line well, comes out and catches/punches crosses. Gets down well, his positioning is usually correct and he gets across his goal quicker than Forster can.

FF was not good either last season under Puel.

There are so many things he is not good at.

He has never been any good at commanding his area whether that is to come at for crosses or coming out to smother a through ball.

Add that to the fact he can hardly move on his line to save shots to his right or left especially low ones, Especially post return from his knee injury.

This all combined to the fact that he s sometimes a headless chicken and panics and drops the occasional ball makes him a very bad prem keeper.

It s not about form, it s about becoming above average to bad after his injury, not down to his fault for being unable to getting down to low shots though

Then why did he get picked for England?

Not shocking just poor. People were looking for scapegoats in a terrible season and in their eyes he got worse and worse. The crowd then drained him of his confidence. If he was worth £20m at the beginning of last season and is now worth £5m, then the crowd have effectively cost each season ticket holder £681. (Although they have taken Macarthy from being worth £3m to being worth £15m).

If Forster had played our run in games we would be in the championship without doubt.

Sell Forster

Get McCarthy on a longer contract

Bring in a young up and coming keeper to compete with McCarthy. Daniel Bentley at Brentford would fit the bill

Simples

If Forster had played our run in games we would be in the championship without doubt.

Sell Forster

Bring in a young up and coming keeper to compete with McCarthy. Daniel Bentley at Brentford would fit the bill

Simples

Or just build Forster's confidence up again.

Sell Forster

Simples

Not so simples.

Edited by Dark Munster

Confidence whilst being important is not the be all and end all. Ability is also required just as much and to me

FF has lost a lot of ability since his injury. So much so that I doubt he will ever get enough back that would help

with his confidence. A move to a lower league might help him a bit but even that won't get him back to the high

standard required by a Championship club let alone a PL one.

Forster has never, eve, ever been good. His fluke against Barca, all shots around or at him. His Celtic highlight real is him parrying shots back into the danger zone constantly. He is utter ****e. End of.

Love & light (if I have identified the right internet profile, you have so many).

Forster has never, eve, ever been good. His fluke against Barca, all shots around or at him. His Celtic highlight real is him parrying shots back into the danger zone constantly. He is utter ****e. End of.

Yet still holds our premier league clean sheet record if I'm correct Hypo ?

They don't make them like they used to.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jun/04/neville-southall-flak-sex-workers-lgbt-issues

By far the best goalkeeping performance I've ever seen was him at the Dell in a 0-0 draw.

Brilliant bloke. His deadpan "well done, he's 13" response to Michael Owen celebrating like a cock after scoring past a kid in a training drill still tickles me.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

They don't make them like they used to.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jun/04/neville-southall-flak-sex-workers-lgbt-issues

By far the best goalkeeping performance I've ever seen was him at the Dell in a 0-0 draw.

Thanks for that, good read. Love to see that some players do understand the real world. Big Nev was a top player, always down to earth and called it as he saw it. Many of today's snowdrops could learn a lot from him.

enough said straight to the point always thought he had glue feet or something ..............for a guy so tall never came out for a commanding this is my ball type cross as you pointed out usless.

Go back and watch highlights from when Forster was regularly playing. There are so many goals which I cannot believe we conceded. So many which McCarthy would have saved.

FF is just so damn slow getting down to shots. Can never be allowed back in our team.

Been saying it for years. Always been sh1te

• 6 months later...