Alex McCarthy

lumuah

Pretty damning subtext to a lot of those comments.

It's clear the whole organisation has been in collective inertia since Kat started looking seriously to sell. Hopefully the recent activity is a signal that Gao actually has the awareness, clout and resources to make an impact.

• 4 weeks later...
So, if we really are tempted to sell Macca to raise funds....

Where's he likely off to?

Any of the top 6 need an English keeper to sit on their bench?

Bournemouth. Looking for backup keeper as Boruc has been awful this season when called upon. He would have the opportunity to be the No.1 there too as Begovic has also been having a bad season.

Bournemouth. Looking for backup keeper as Boruc has been awful this season when called upon. He would have the opportunity to be the No.1 there too as Begovic has also been having a bad season.

Interesting shout. What would he be worth in today's market though? A keeper in and around the England squad must be £20m by today's standards?

Unless literally a loan to move his wages is what we'd be looking for?

My guess if he did go it would be to one of the big clubs as a challenge to their first team keeper but also to fill a 'home grown' slot for the champions league as well.

I am pretty sure Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs all have no. 2 keepers who are foreign players, and all aside Arsenal (where Cech seems to have dropped to no. 2) are pretty dodgy if they have to be called on.

They are Bravo, Mignolet, Romero, Cabballero, and Vorm. That is an mistake ridden collection of keepers right there (maybe harsh on Romero) I'd argue that McCarthy is probably as good as all those lot, or at least is probably a bit more solid and consistent (though might not have the ball playing ability of some of them that those managers like) and of course being English he can count as a homegrown player for their Champions League /Europe League squads in a position they have to use (because you have to have at least 2 keepers I think).

I'd expect us to want at least £15-20 million though in the current market, considering his recent form, England call up and new contract.

He was previously linked to Spurs and that move makes sense, considering I think Vorm is injury prone and supposedly has been offered on loan to Leeds just recently.

And then Lloris has not been himself and it would leave Gazzaniga as Spur's main back up, and despite improved performances seems doubful he is good enough to be Spurs's no.2

I reckon if Spurs can free up that GK space that is where McCarthy might go.

Other main option I reckon would be Chelsea.

Edited by tajjuk

My guess if he did go it would be to one of the big clubs as a challenge to their first team keeper but also to fill a 'home grown' slot for the champions league as well.

I am pretty sure Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs all have no. 2 keepers who are foreign players, and all aside Arsenal (where Cech seems to have dropped to no. 2) are pretty dodgy if they have to be called on.

They are Bravo, Mignolet, Romero, Cabballero, and Vorm. That is an mistake ridden collection of keepers right there (maybe harsh on Romero) I'd argue that McCarthy is probably as good as all those lot, or at least is probably a bit more solid and consistent (though might not have the ball playing ability of some of them that those managers like) and of course being English he can count as a homegrown player for their Champions League /Europe League squads in a position they have to use (because you have to have at least 2 keepers I think).

I'd expect us to want at least £15-20 million though in the current market, considering his recent form, England call up and new contract.

He was previously linked to Spurs and that move makes sense, considering I think Vorm is injury prone and supposedly has been offered on loan to Leeds just recently.

And then Lloris has not been himself and it would leave Gazzaniga as Spur's main back up, and despite improved performances seems doubful he is good enough to be Spurs's no.2

I reckon if Spurs can free up that GK space that is where McCarthy might go.

Other main option I reckon would be Chelsea.

Good write-up. I'm still trying to think of any examples on £20m keepers who were signed to be No.2 though. (I'm sure there have been examples).

Interesting shout. What would he be worth in today's market though? A keeper in and around the England squad must be £20m by today's standards?

Unless literally a loan to move his wages is what we'd be looking for?

If we are short of cash we need to move one keeper and if it's easier to find a buyer for him than FF then he might go. £20m is far too high though, I would have thought around £6-8m max but I'm not sure there any PL clubs who would pay that for him.

If we are short of cash we need to move one keeper and if it's easier to find a buyer for him than FF then he might go. £20m is far too high though, I would have thought around £6-8m max but I'm not sure there any PL clubs who would pay that for him.

£6-£8m? Gunn cost us £12m and he hadn't played a premier league game. Ward at Leicester was Liverpool's third choice with no premier league experience and cost £12m, so absolutely no way McCarthy is £6-8m.

I agree with Tajjuk - £15m-£20m is probably market value for an English GK who has broken into the England squad. The issue being though;

1) I can't see who would sign him.

2) If there was a club that wanted another GK (top 6 back up?), I'd imagine they would have higher priority areas to spend that sort of money on.

3) Clubs will know we're probably desperate for the cash and won't pay our asking price.

Depends what Mccarthy wants if there's any truth to it.

If he would be happy with more money, winning trophies i don't think it would be crazy if Liverpool were interested given Mignolet is terrible and wants out. Equally Arsenal haven't given Cech a new contract so they may want someone else.

If he wants to be outright first choice then he's probably looking at championship level as there isn't an obvious opening in the prem.

I don't understand the rush to sell McCarthy - if indeed that is the case.

I think it makes sense in that he will be one of a few in demand(ish) and of value players we have. With Gunn seemingly at least as good, I can see why we would want to cash in now. Especially if we need cash to buy players.

It's not the worst idea in the world. We have Gunn who is ready to be #1. Forster is on a lot and perhaps we can't shift him. Mccarthy is a very good keeper, but perhaps disposable. To raise 10-15m and free his already improved contract to get in someone who can strengthen us elsewhere seems like a smart move. We don't need 3 first choice keepers. Perhaps Forster is happy to be #2 more than Mccarthy is? Considering he was #2 at Palace not that long ago, we'll probably make a good amount of profit on this.

It's not the worst idea in the world. We have Gunn who is ready to be #1. Forster is on a lot and perhaps we can't shift him. Mccarthy is a very good keeper, but perhaps disposable. To raise 10-15m and free his already improved contract to get in someone who can strengthen us elsewhere seems like a smart move. We don't need 3 first choice keepers. Perhaps Forster is happy to be #2 more than Mccarthy is? Considering he was #2 at Palace not that long ago, we'll probably make a good amount of profit on this.

That's a good summary and represents how I see it too. Forster is currently not saleable and would need to play himself back into the frame. Gunn looks ready, and we could probably get £15M for McCarthy. Simply a business decision. I hope Macca becomes #1 at the club he goes to, rather than bench warming. IF THIS RUMOUR IS TRUE.

I don't understand the rush to sell McCarthy - if indeed that is the case.

Not a rush if we want new players to replace the dross its a necessity...25 player limit 4 are keepers one with 5 year deal on 60-90k a week(depends what you believe) we cant shift, 3 years of abysmal recruitment, an owner with a debt to pay.

The transfer window is open of course there is a rush we are in bottom 3.

Good write-up. I'm still trying to think of any examples on £20m keepers who were signed to be No.2 though. (I'm sure there have been examples).

Well as mentioned above, Leicester signed Ward for £12 million, essentially as a number 2 and he was Liverpool's no. 3 keeper. Bravo cost City £17 million and he was already 33 at the time and was never going to be more than a stop gap and ultimately number 2.

£20 million might be too much, but I'd expect £15 million maybe with add ons, its not a massive fee to the top 6.

What tends to make me think its Spurs or Chelsea is Lloris seems to have got a bit more injury prone and bit more erratic lately, and for Chelsea, despite the fee Kepa Arrizabalaga is still a pretty young and inexperienced keeper so they might want a more experienced back up who is used to the league, so whilst he would move as no.2 he'd have a decent chance of possibly get some good runs for those teams.

Plus the home grown thing.

And as others have said it frees up wages and transfer funds to upgrade other areas of the team without really weakening us. Gunn is at least as good and probably is better, and he certainly has the ability to go on and become better in the long term.

Despite his problems Forster is hardly a terrible PL back up keeper either and if he is proving harder to shift and attracts less funds, overall it makes sense to probably cash in on McCarthy whilst his stock is high.

This of course depends if he wants to go, as others have said you can't see obvious number 1 spot available to him, so he'd have to be swayed about going as a number 2 maybe with a pay rise and opportunity to get champions league appearances etc.

Essentially we have to be pragmatic, it's very clear that we need to at the very least free up wages/squad space to buy, if not fund transfers, and whilst in an ideal world it would be great to have two good keepers, most clubs don't, its tough to keep them happy and investment is needed elsewhere.

We are not going to get relegated by having Gunn and Forster as our keepers, but we might get relegated if we don't have funds/ages to sign a CB, Striker and fast attacker and if we that means selling McCarthy it seems a no-brainer to me.

Edited by tajjuk

The logic(if there's truth to it) i assume is to generate 10-15 million that Ralph could then spend on a weaker area of the squad.

Sensible if you ask me.

Pointless having 3 GK’s of very similar ability eating up a large chunk of of wage bill.

Of the 3, Gunn is the best/potentially the best and McCarthy is easiest to shift. I think it’s clear from the summer that Forster isn’t going anywhere just yet.

Not a great deal of difference between McCarthy and a fit and in form Forster imo.

Paraphrasing Hassenhuttl in today's pre-Leicester press conference: "We are looking at the possibilty of giving Forster one or two U23 games so that we can get him match fit with a view to moving him onto another club. Gunn and McCarthy are my two first choices"

Paraphrasing Hassenhuttl in today's pre-Leicester press conference: "We are looking at the possibilty of giving Forster one or two U23 games so that we can get him match fit with a view to moving him onto another club. Gunn and McCarthy are my two first choices"

Ok, stand down. Back to hunting for a club for Forster.

Surely none of you are silly enough to believe that Angus Gunn came here to be our no2 keeper? Alex being sold this window is the least surprising bit of transfer news we could have expected. His stock is high now, he is too good to be our no2, so let’s make some money on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

It's believable. I'm not sure there are many PL sides who he would strengthen as first choice so if Liverpool are interested he has a choice of sitting on our bench watching us scrap around in the league or sit on their bench and potentially scoop some medals. I know what I'd do!

It's believable. I'm not sure there are many PL sides who he would strengthen as first choice so if Liverpool are interested he has a choice of sitting on our bench watching us scrap around in the league or sit on their bench and potentially scoop some medals. I know what I'd do!

Let’s see if anyone one of more repute reports on it today... don’t think that reporter is one of their usual suspects.

McCarthy nearly left for Liverpool in Jan.

So hardly a shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why wereLiverpool in for him in January - was Mignolet injured?

Was our inability to select Forster the reason we didn't let him go?

This could be the start of a keeper clear out. We have 8 Pro keepers I think which is nuts. Lewis has shown potential but I doubt he's seen as a number 2. Ditto Rose. It may be that we ship loads out, Mccarthy included, and bring in competition / cover for Gunn. Wtf we do with Fraser is another matter.