Alex McCarthy

lumuah

Liverpool will not be making a move for either Alex McCarthy or Dorukhan Tokoz – both of whom have been reported as being potential transfer targets for Jurgen Klopp this week.

Former Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers was an admirer of the Guildford-born custodian who has been capped once by England in the second half of a 3-0 friendly win over USA in November 2018 but the ECHO understands his name has not been discussed by the current management team.

Source: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-stance-alex-mccarthy-16446983

How strange. I broke the news about Forster being the best keeper in training a long time ago and the echo have said the same. Not sure how they knew that, so assuming they picked it up from here.

Adam Leitch has mentioned it on the Total Saints Pod on a few occasions.

Am I the only one who feels McCarthy has been a bit hard done by?

Only standout player in a **** side for the half-season he played in 17/18. Would have been relegated without him.

Form dropped off a bit 18/19 granted, but still did ok.... I would have 20 players out the door before him.

"Saints were handed out a 3-0 beating in which Forster could have done very little to prevent from happening."

Apart from catch the ball?

He could have done better for 2 of West ham s goals.

Don’t know what game the echo were watching.

Only standout player in a **** side for the half-season he played in 17/18. Would have been relegated without him.

Form dropped off a bit 18/19 granted, but still did ok.... I would have 20 players out the door before him.

He probably has the highest sale value - the club have decided that Gunn is the future, so are trying to get as much cash in as possible. He's a high value asset.

To an extent I agree but nobody will buy Fraser who, as the echo article confirms, is our highest paid player. As Fraser appears to be staying he has to have a function which makes Mccarthy the fall guy. If prefer Mccarthy as number 2 all day long but we can't justify him, Fraser, Gunn and about 5 other pro keepers.

• 6 months later...