Alex McCarthy

lumuah

£20million and they can have him, I reckon Butland will be available for around that plus Burnley have two first choice keepers to keep happy. McCarthy has turned our season around undoubtedly, but purely because he is a competent keeper whereas forster is useless, not because McCarthy is a top class keeper.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

£20million and they can have him, I reckon Butland will be available for around that plus Burnley have two first choice keepers to keep happy. McCarthy has turned our season around undoubtedly, but purely because he is a competent keeper whereas forster is useless, not because McCarthy is a top class keeper.

I doubt it, they'll look at the £30m fee for Pickford from a relegated Sunderland team and want similar, if not more.

Why do you think Reed would want it to happen? Any evidence? Saying we've sold lots of players to Liverpool recently is not evidence Reed wants it to happen.

Why do you think Reed would not want it to happen ? Any evidence otherwise ? He doesn't mention anything about selling lots of players to Liverpool meaning Reed wants it to happen what makes you think he thinks that constitutes evidence?

It is from the same newspaper that made up the story van Dijk had a £25m minimum fee release clause...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/virgil-van-dijks-35m-buy-9385313

Hard to take them seriously!

But VVD left, eventually, but left all the same. Paper talk is what it is but it is almost never smoke without some of fire, even if a mov doesn’t eventually happen.

Let’s hope McArthy doesn’t go but nothing is unexpected after a season of major underachievement against expectations.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Isn’t he going into the last year of his contract? It will be hard to get a decent fee in that case.

You’d hope that McCarthy would value the opportunity to start every game with Saints.

It is from the same newspaper that made up the story van Dijk had a £25m minimum fee release clause...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/virgil-van-dijks-35m-buy-9385313

Hard to take them seriously!

But VVD left, eventually, but left all the same. Paper talk is what it is but it is almost never smoke without some of fire, even if a mov doesn’t eventually happen.

How is him eventually leaving relevant in any way? It was obvious he was going to leave at some point, but yet the Mirror showed themselves up by making up a story about a fictional £25m release clause. Which makes them as I started earlier... hard to take seriously.

Did we really pay £3.5m for Alex McCarthy?

I thought Alex came on a free as a third choice at Crystal Palace

I thought it was £4m, but yes, we paid. It's the fee for Gazza that stumps me. £2.5m. Initially always thought it was £250k.

Butland will go to one of them surely. McCarthy has been good but can't see he'd be near first choice for them yet. Another season of good form and we might struggle to keep him though.

Ahead of Cech no, ahead of Karius and Mingolet, easily.

Liverpool are in the Champions League final despite their keepers not because of them, Karius is still awful and a walking mistake machine even if he has done better (by low standards) recently. He let a shot go right through his hands early on against Roma, and it hit the bar, had that gone in then the game could have been completely different.

Also as others have mentioned above he seems a decent leader and commanding at the back, which neither of the Liverpool keepers are.

But I can't see this happening, he's just established himself here after being a number 2 for like the last 4-5 years and is starting to show his full potential seen at Reading, can' see him jeopardising that right now.

Ahead of Cech no, ahead of Karius and Mingolet, easily.

Liverpool are in the Champions League final despite their keepers not because of them, Karius is still awful and a walking mistake machine even if he has done better (by low standards) recently. He let a shot go right through his hands early on against Roma, and it hit the bar, had that gone in then the game could have been completely different.

Also as others have mentioned above he seems a decent leader and commanding at the back, which neither of the Liverpool keepers are.

But I can't see this happening, he's just established himself here after being a number 2 for like the last 4-5 years and is starting to show his full potential seen at Reading, can' see him jeopardising that right now.

He might want to jeopardise it for 100K a week this season could well have been a flash in the pan if I was him I'd look to cash in as soon as possible it is a short career and you never know particularly as a keeper when you will fall from favour!

Give him whatever he wants to make him stay

Are you Peter Risdale or Peter Storrie.

Just because he’s a triffic lad, let’s not get carried away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would certainly offer him a new contract on a wage that encourages him to stay. I'd also be tempted to try to get Boruc back. Unlikely I know, as he wants to be 1st choice, yet he had that taken away from him at Bournemouth when Begovic came in. More realistic target may be a decent Championship keeper.

I would certainly offer him a new contract on a wage that encourages him to stay. I'd also be tempted to try to get Boruc back. Unlikely I know, as he wants to be 1st choice, yet he had that taken away from him at Bournemouth when Begovic came in. More realistic target may be a decent Championship keeper.

I find it quite interesting that Burnley got Heaton from Bristol City and Pope from Charlton so there are obviously good players around.

In fact quite a number of Burnley players have come from lower league teams

Why is everyone taking this seriously? It's a non-story (every club watches every player all the time) and Liverpool have no need whatsoever for someone like McCarthy. They'll buy an elite keeper and have Karius in reserve. It's likely been dropped to strengthen his hand in contract talks.

Edited by DuncanRG

Why do you think Reed would want it to happen? Any evidence? Saying we've sold lots of players to Liverpool recently is not evidence Reed wants it to happen.

Quite, Led only sells players for big money and spends the sort of money we would get for him on players for the Saints. Wolves are not going to get anywhere and to link him with them is daft. I suspect that story was written or made up before we stayed up. If a so called big club wants him then I would not stand in his way. He will be comfortable in their heated seats on the bench every week!

Boruc is 38. If we're going to sign a Polish 'keeper who's been here before, I'd try and get Bart from Ipswich, although I suspect he would prefer first team football.

This McC story is an agent driven non-event. No doubt he wants an improved contract and this is a standard part of the negotiating process.

He's a very good keeper. Light years ahead of Forster, who is scamming a living as a pro. Pay him what he wants (within reason). Then get a beast of a centre half in front of him.

It's silly season again.The Journos have no real news so they make it up.

What are they making up? I'm sure their scouts are watching McCarthy, same as they watch everyone. It's not much of a story but that doesn't mean it's made up. The problem is fans interpreting these things as predictions.

I find it quite interesting that Burnley got Heaton from Bristol City and Pope from Charlton so there are obviously good players around.

In fact quite a number of Burnley players have come from lower league teams

I'd much rather we go back to signing the best players from the Championship than expensive foreigners with bad attitudes who "can't adjust".

I'd much rather we go back to signing the best players from the Championship than expensive foreigners with bad attitudes who "can't adjust".

Those are not the only options. I'd rather we sign a player on his own merits than making sweeping generalisations based on nationality.

• 2 weeks later...