Manolo Gabbiadini: Joins Sampdoria - Official

Portugalsaint

Apparently his agent said he may go back to Italy in Jan. Hope he stays though.

Why would you want to stay if you have any desire to play football and you know you are 3rd in Line for a game behind a player who pretty much trundles round the pitch, and another who can’t hit a cows backside with a banjo coupled with not knowing what his feet are going to do next.

Apparently his agent said he may go back to Italy in Jan. Hope he stays though.

I hoped fervently that he'd stay on when the "back to Italy" rumours surfaced last window, but I've got to say if we aren't going to use him as a regular starter it's now hard to see any point. How he's behind Long and Austin in the pecking order is utterly beyond me, but if that's going to remain the case then tbh he might as well go.

Is the fan club getting smaller and people are realising that he isn’t the answer? Any centre forward worth his salt puts that last minute chance away.

Maybe his jump was too good for the cross?

Remember when people used to say that sort of stuff about Papa Waigo and Tanadari Lee? Their movement and runs were so good that we didn’t have the players capable to pick them out. Nothing to do with the fact they were both absolute sh*te and Lee in particulars runs were just a headless chicken sprinting around.

Is the fan club getting smaller and people are realising that he isn’t the answer? Any centre forward worth his salt puts that last minute chance away.

Maybe his jump was too good for the cross?

Denied Redmond an assist and key pass as well, the scoundrel!

Austin would probably have scored that chance, but if he was still on the pitch at 90 minutes he wouldn't be up with play to get the chance in the first place. To me that shows why I'd rather give Gabbiadini a run with Ings to form some sort of partnership and use Austin towards the end of the game if we need a goal.

But as others have said, if Gabbiadini is only ever going to be used as an 'impact' substitute, he may as well not be here. An admittedly crucial contribution at Swansea aside, he generally doesn't make an impact when he comes on, and certainly seems rusty in front of goal now too.

Edited by mrfahaji

Austin would probably have scored that chance, but if he was still on the pitch at 90 minutes he wouldn't be up with play to get the chance in the first place. To me that shows why I'd rather give Gabbiadini and run with Ings to form some sort of partnership and use Austin towards the end of the game if we need a goal.

But others have said, if Gabbiadini is only ever going to be used as an 'impact' substitute, he may as well not be here. An admittedly crucial contribution at Swansea aside, he generally doesn't make an impact when he comes on, and certainly seems rusty in front of goal now too.

I agree with this.

I know he's not amazing, but I do think he has been criminally underused by Hughes.

He actually looked decent when he started against Chelsea, and showed more threat in that 60-odd minutes than Austin has all season. So quite how he then gets dropped in favour of Austin in the next game is just baffling.

Gabbi doesn't work as an impact sub, he only ever looks his best after a couple of games. It's partly down to sharpness, which his game relies on. It's also down to other players getting used to him, which is always highlighted when he hasn't played for a while. There are often times he makes a great run that goes ignored, or is literally pointing at the place he wants the ball sent to, which gets ignored.

IMO, he and Ings are our best forwards and they offer different things, so they should be given a consistent run of games together. Gabbi stays forward, is great in tight spaces and makes great runs. Ings covers more ground, drops back further to find the ball, can play a decent through ball, reads the game well and has a good strike on him. Playing both, with Gabbi just ahead of Ings, could work well if given time.

Gabbi doesn't work as an impact sub, he only ever looks his best after a couple of games. It's partly down to sharpness, which his game relies on. It's also down to other players getting used to him, which is always highlighted when he hasn't played for a while.
I still don't understand why, after a decent preseason, he wasn't given the nod ahead of Austin at the start of the season. He looked to be in form and right back in the fold. Hughes, for no apparent reason, simply dropped our most in form striker. By the time he gets his chance that great form has gone. Madness.

I still don't understand why, after a decent preseason, he wasn't given the nod ahead of Austin at the start of the season. He looked to be in form and right back in the fold. Hughes, for no apparent reason, simply dropped our most in form striker. By the time he gets his chance that great form has gone. Madness.

And this is a major part of our problems. Good players completely dropped from matchday squad, then suddenly starting, then off again, whilst some players seemingly just keep getting chances...

Can't get my head around Gabbi, was absolutely immense when he arrived but has since been messed around. We know he can do it given a run in the team and the correct setup but he just gets yanked in and out of the team all the time.

I wouldn't blame him one bit if he walked away now, just not happening for him here. Bet wherever he goes he'll end up scoring a decent amount though.

Can't get my head around Gabbi, was absolutely immense when he arrived but has since been messed around. We know he can do it given a run in the team and the correct setup but he just gets yanked in and out of the team all the time.

I wouldn't blame him one bit if he walked away now, just not happening for him here. Bet wherever he goes he'll end up scoring a decent amount though.

That about sums it up. He's a player we know has quality, but just never gets any chance to get any kind of form. He was good, but he's not getting any better spending his better years playing only an occasional cameo role. Why isn't he ever a regular starter?

• 3 weeks later...

The only way to prove himself here is to get a run in the team and that ain’t gonna happen so we may as well offload him at the best possible price !

Critical thing though is to replace him with an improvement and we will he competing with most of the lower half PL teams whose need is just about as great as ours !

Good luck to the new DoF !

• 2 weeks later...

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/gabbiadini-unlikely-to-return-to-serie-a-southampton-determined-to-keep-the-striker

Manolo Gabbiadini is not likely to return to Italy in January, despite the rumors of a Fiorentina and Bologna interest in bringing him back to Serie A. Southampton seem to be resolut in their intention to keep the Italian striker in the winter transfer window, as they have made clear to his agent Claudio Pagliari in a meeting that took place today in England.

Born in 1991, who played 47 games with the Saints in the Premier League so far, scoring 10 goals.[/b]

Doesn't sound like he'll be going anywhere in the transfer window, hopefully we can get him playing well off the right and making a difference in games. Hopefully a run of games can do him some good.

• 4 weeks later...
Southampton's Gabbiadini could depart in January, interest from England, Spain and Italy in the striker

Southampton striker Manolo Gabbiadini could be looking for a new club in January with the club, now under new coach Ralph Hasenhuttl, lacking space in the lineup for the Italian. Bologna and Fiorentina are among the interested teams in Gabbiadini, who has spent two seasons in the Premier League after moving from Serie A. Apart from Italy, there is interest as well from La Liga and also from other English teams, however the number of suitors could increase now with Gabbiadini being placed on the market.

Source: https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/southamptons-gabbiadini-could-depart-in-january-interest-from-england-spain-and-italy-in-the-striker

Hope we can sell him rather than loan

Wouldn't surprise me if it's just a loan. Less money involved.

Over on TUI someone who claims a personal connection to Gabbi says that he doesn't like Ralph and is looking to move on.

IIRC we got him from Napoli because he didn't suit Sarri's high-pressing game.

Over on TUI someone who claims a personal connection to Gabbi says that he doesn't like Ralph and is looking to move on.

On the PC today Ralph was asked about Lemina and Gabbi, he was quite open and said he wants Lemina, but never mentioned Gabbi in his response. Implied from that he's not worried about Gabbi.

On the PC today Ralph was asked about Lemina and Gabbi, he was quite open and said he wants Lemina, but never mentioned Gabbi in his response. Implied from that he's not worried about Gabbi.

Gabbi's agent happily gives updates every 2 weeks so it won't be long before we hear officially.

That would be a terrible mistake, unless Saints bring in a replacement goal-scoring front man. How long before Ings and/or Austin get injured again?

He won't fit here. Times are changing. Thanks for the Swansea goal, thanks for the Wembley goals, we are going in different directions and £15million will be useful right now

He's had quite a few chances, and hasn't cut it. Having said that he also hasn't had a decent uninterrupted run in the team, and has had pretty dismal service. So feel a bit sorry for him, but now is a good time to sell. Just not to a rival for whom he starts banging them in.

Gabby been told to start Looking for pastures new.

Appreciate the insight as always.

A shame... he looked such a good purchase in his early days with us, but it's never kicked on for him.

Wonder what we'd get? 10-12M?

Edited by Suhari

ummmm, we have Austin and Ings both whose long term fitness is very questionable and Long who couldn't hit a barn door from 2 foot out and we are prepared to let Gabby go.....who in my opinion would score goals in this new high press tempo Ralph is bringing to the team.

Are we really going to rely on Austin, Ings and Long staying fit to supply the goals??......very very dangerous IMHO unless another striker is being looked at??