Manolo Gabbiadini: Joins Sampdoria - Official

Portugalsaint

A significant punishment sure, but lifetime bans are excessive for the crime.

As it stands yes, but if there was a punishment of death for example, and then you break the law, knowing that’s the punishment, then I think it’s deserved.

• 1 month later...
Would be no surprise and don’t think we’d really miss him. As long as we bring in a top level starter...our squad is bloated

Of course we would miss him. Just consider the prospect of Gabbiadini/Lemina (latest rumours) leaving and players like Long/Ward-Prowse remaining. While its true the squad may be bloated the idea of reducing numbers and quality is ridiculous.

I would hope after being neglected for most of last season, Hughes wants him and has put a Spark back into him.

if he went it would be no surprise, as he has been shabbily handled over the last season(s), he commmented that the goals dried up under Puel because “the manager changed how we played”. MoPe at the helm was Puel MKII

Certainly get squad is bloated but we just sold arguably our best player and now the talk of selling another our best players...

Do we never learn any lessons?

Gabbiadini is one to keep....

There is no talk of any note just a tenuous link in an media article...

We struggled to score goals last season and we've already sold our most creative player. Please don't sell our best striker too.

Charlie Austin is our best striker IMO.

Plus based on their form over the last year or so neither Tadic nor Gabbiadini are much loss, as long as we replaced them.

If we sold Gabbiadini for around £20 million and then got in a promising forward with pace I wouldn't complain.

But I would reckon Hughes thinks he can get a lot more out of him, IIRC is he not a player he wanted whilst at Stoke and we bought him? If he can get anywhere near his level when he first joined and keep that up for a season it would basically be like a new signing.

Big IF though.

The key is having a manager that has the brains to get the best of him.. gabbiadini has quality movement and thrives off of throughballs, whilst the majority of our build up play was wingbacks overlapping and getting a cross in, I really think gabbiadini can be a hell of a player with the right service but we can not play him like a giroud or pelle type and expect results

Lots of people saying let Long go but the simple truth is that we can't find anyone that wants him as his wages are way too high.

Same goes for FF.

If we could have shifted them we would have!

So those big, fat, new contracts on the back of a single decent season, and presumably to incease their sale value, haven't really worked well for us then!

So those big, fat, new contracts on the back of a single decent season, and presumably to incease their sale value, haven't really worked well for us then!

Funny game football;.....

When Forster got injured the general view was that we were stuffed/going down because he was a top keeper, an international and playing so well.

When he returned from injury our defence suddenly looked so much more secure and (I think, but may be wrong) we went on a long run of games where we didn't concede any.

Signing him up then (as an example) to a long term deal was lauded by most on here as a shrewd bit of business by the club - "we're not going to keep losing our top players, thank **** Les has done something about it".

He lost form and confidence; now the same people are saying he's a "windsock" and was never ever any good, he has always been useless; the idiots who signed him up to a long term deal need to be sacked!!

How times have changed......funny game eh?

When Forster got injured the general view was that we were stuffed/going down because he was a top keeper, an international and playing so well.

When he returned from injury our defence suddenly looked so much more secure and (I think, but may be wrong) we went on a long run of games where we didn't concede any.

Signing him up then (as an example) to a long term deal was lauded by most on here as a shrewd bit of business by the club - "we're not going to keep losing our top players, thank **** Les has done something about it".

He lost form and confidence; now the same people are saying he's a "windsock" and was never ever any good, he has always been useless; the idiots who signed him up to a long term deal need to be sacked!!

Spot on.

What you seem to have forgotten is that Forster was given another contract extension at the end of 16-17 season when he had been far from impressive and arguably when the rot was already setting in. It's this that most fans feel was bizarre and indeed said so at the time!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

What you seem to have forgotten is that Forster was given another contract extension at the end of 16-17 season when he had been far from impressive and arguably when the rot was already setting in. It's this that most fans feel was bizarre and indeed said so at the time!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Exactly. The poster either has a selective memory or is chatting ****.

Weren't those contract extensions and wage increases supposed to be the antidote to our annual transfer market raping by all and sundry? To limit the hordes of outgoing players or at least to maximise their value to the club, and to signal at the same time that we aren't a "selling club" any longer? That was my reading of the stance at the time, and I seem to recall many on here applauding it.

We struggled to score goals last season and we've already sold our most creative player. Please don't sell our best striker too.

We struggled to score goals because our best striker is injury prone and the other 2, Long and Gabbi were ****ing woeful in front of goal all season. One goal, no matter how important shouldn't blind people to that fact. He's been ****ing awful since getting injured at the back end of the previous season. Whether it's down to the manager, is another matter, and I guess we'll find out this season. But don't gloss over how bad he was last one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We struggled to score goals because our best striker is injury prone and the other 2, Long and Gabbi were ****ing woeful in front of goal all season. One goal, no matter how important shouldn't blind people to that fact. He's been ****ing awful since getting injured at the back end of the previous season. Whether it's down to the manager, is another matter, and I guess we'll find out this season. But don't gloss over how bad he was last one.

:thumbup:

I am prepared to bet my right Nadger that it was entirely down to a lack of confidence brought on by two successive managers who didn't believe in creating chances.

I am prepared to bet my right Nadger that it was entirely down to a lack of confidence brought on by two successive managers who didn't believe in creating chances.

This. Always a very simplistic argument if you're not scoring goals is to blame the strikers. They certainly are partly to blame but we just didn't create enough chances last season.

He scored 6 in 12 under Puel. It was his injury lay off after the Spurs game that killed all momentum - by the time he'd returned, the team were phoning in performances with nothing to play for and no desire to go the extra mile for a manager they didn't believe in.

By all means, connect Gabbiadini's struggles with Pellegrino's reign of total ineptitude, but I don't think Puel carries much blame at all.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

This. Always a very simplistic argument if you're not scoring goals is to blame the strikers. They certainly are partly to blame but we just didn't create enough chances last season.

According to the stats though this doesn’t appear to be the case. We made plenty of chances but our conversation rate was pants.

Yep. Also, when a side are creating so few chances there is far more pressure on the strikers to convert them, knowing that the next chance will be a long time coming if it comes at all.

Which stats?

We seemed to miss half chances, shoot poorly from distance. Besides Long I don't think we missed that many good chances did we? We were a dire, negative side most the season.

Gabbaidini started it and ended up the only player in the attacking half very often. He looked so fed up. Making plenty of runs and zero support. Not sure what he was supposed to do. He was then dropped for someone who hadn't scored in a year.

Great post agree 100 percent, also think he needs through balls to run onto to get the best out of him or ball to feet, not just hopefull crosses into the box. This was very rarely the service he got last year

I think the tandem of Austin and Gabbi can be used effectively. They can be rotated depending on the type of match we expect. The open space, counter attacking, style we will play against the big teams while we sit back and defend, we can use Gabbi to get on the front end of the counter attacks with room to go. When we expect to have lots of possession, and have the ball in the offensive side a lot, it will be slower and less open, and better suited for Austin with crosses in the box and scrambles in front of the net.

Most concerning thing was when Hughes came in he chose to use long over gabby, this could well be that he just wanted fighters at the end of the season that would put in a hundred percent, don't get me wrong in some games long played well and his energy and pace can be a asset. But don't want gabbiadini to lose out to him as I think gabbi can be our best striker by far if we play to his strength

Most concerning thing was when Hughes came in he chose to use long over gabby, this could well be that he just wanted fighters at the end of the season that would put in a hundred percent, don't get me wrong in some games long played well and his energy and pace can be a asset. But don't want gabbiadini to lose out to him as I think gabbi can be our best striker by far if we play to his strength

Iirc he started Gabbi for the first couple of games, then gave up on him after our drubbing at Wham.

Years Team Apps (Gls)

2009–2012 Atalanta 25 (1)

2010–2011 Cittadella 27 (5)

2012–2013 Juventus 0 (0)

2012–2013 Bologna (loan) 30 (6)

2013–2015 Sampdoria 47 (15)

2015–2017 Napoli 56 (15)

2017– Southampton 39 (9)

Not really the prolific goal scorer some are making out, but maybe Sparky will get something out of him. Note, he is not a CF/St.

Years Team Apps (Gls)

2009–2012 Atalanta 25 (1)

2010–2011 Cittadella 27 (5)

2012–2013 Juventus 0 (0)

2012–2013 Bologna (loan) 30 (6)

2013–2015 Sampdoria 47 (15)

2015–2017 Napoli 56 (15)

2017– Southampton 39 (9)

Not really the prolific goal scorer some are making out, but maybe Sparky will get something out of him. Note, he is not a CF/St.

To be fair lots of sub appearances in there.

I mean 'on paper' Austin scored 7 in 24 last year which doesn't look prolific either but made 14 sub appearances with many of them being 10 mins or less.

IIRC when we signed Gabbi, it was noted that his actual goals to minutes ratio was good, he was just behind better strikers at Napoli.

Again Gabbi played 28 'on paper' last year but only scored 5, but again he had 17 sub appearances and 15 of these were around 20 minute appearances or less.

In minutes terms last year he played less than 12 full games, same with Austin, in minutes on the pitch he played less than 12 full games.

So if you looked at them as both playing 12 gamea and scoring 5 and 7 respectively it suddenly doesn't look too bad.

Both were rotated, under used and played for pointless amounts of game time last year (being brought on as basically time wasting subs) which added to the negative play overall cannot have helped their confidence and form.

I think the tandem of Austin and Gabbi can be used effectively. They can be rotated depending on the type of match we expect. The open space, counter attacking, style we will play against the big teams while we sit back and defend, we can use Gabbi to get on the front end of the counter attacks with room to go. When we expect to have lots of possession, and have the ball in the offensive side a lot, it will be slower and less open, and better suited for Austin with crosses in the box and scrambles in front of the net.

Gabbi is pretty sharp when it comes to goalmouth scrambles. Always seems the first to react to a stray ball, for example the Swansea escape.

• 3 months later...