Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 283

Thread: Manolo Gabbiadini: Joins Sampdoria - Official

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    West Coast Portugal/Romsey
    Posts
    269

    Default Manolo Gabbiadini: Joins Sampdoria - Official

    A huge thanks to this man, without him we would probably have been relegated.

    He comes across as a shy private individual. He deserved more time on the pitch and I for one was amazed he wasn’t bought on in the second half against City.

    Really hope he stays and gets more game time.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Double Deuce
    Posts
    6,965

    Default

    Agreed.

  3. #3

    Default

    Ditto

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,608
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    I concur.

  5. #5

    Default

    I agree with all of you.

    Lovely to see him on the Lap of Appreciation with his wife and kiddie. They certainly seemed to be enjoying it all.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,116

    Default

    Both he and Tadic are firmly in the 'hope he stays but bet he leaves' camp.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Portugalsaint View Post
    A huge thanks to this man, without him we would probably have been relegated.

    He comes across as a shy private individual. He deserved more time on the pitch and I for one was amazed he wasn’t bought on in the second half against City.

    Really hope he stays and gets more game time.
    I think that's because he wouldn't have offered us a change in style. I've alluded to this in the 'strikers' thread, but Gabbiadini is probably the best 'all round' striker we have, but ironically that may mean he gets the least game time, because we either want someone to be a focal point for direct balls and crosses (Austin) or someone to get in behind and stretch the game (Long). If one isn't working, you try the other. Gabbiadini is then only used if "current plan is working but striker is tired" or "throw caution to the wind" type scenarios.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    17,507
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfahaji View Post
    I think that's because he wouldn't have offered us a change in style. I've alluded to this in the 'strikers' thread, but Gabbiadini is probably the best 'all round' striker we have, but ironically that may mean he gets the least game time, because we either want someone to be a focal point for direct balls and crosses (Austin) or someone to get in behind and stretch the game (Long). If one isn't working, you try the other. Gabbiadini is then only used if "current plan is working but striker is tired" or "throw caution to the wind" type scenarios.
    I'd say Gabbi's a pretty one-dimensional striker. Don't get me wrong: what he does well, he does excellently. But unless we're playing the ball quickly to his feet and consistently picking out his runs off the shoulder, he doesn't offer very much.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Portugalsaint View Post
    I for one was amazed he wasn’t bought on in the second half against City.

    Really hope he stays and gets more game time.
    Think Bertrand’s slight injury put paid to him coming on.

    I hope he stays but doubt he will.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wherever I wanna be...
    Posts
    1,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    I'd say Gabbi's a pretty one-dimensional striker. Don't get me wrong: what he does well, he does excellently. But unless we're playing the ball quickly to his feet and consistently picking out his runs off the shoulder, he doesn't offer very much.
    But isn't that the way we SHOULD be playing?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    17,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugwash View Post
    But isn't that the way we SHOULD be playing?

    Well its one way. But seeing as our main form of attacking since getting back to the PL has been from crosses (mostly from overlapping fullbacks) we don't really play a way that suits Gabbi most of the time.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    I'd say Gabbi's a pretty one-dimensional striker. Don't get me wrong: what he does well, he does excellently. But unless we're playing the ball quickly to his feet and consistently picking out his runs off the shoulder, he doesn't offer very much.
    Maybe, but more one-dimensional than Austin and Long? The fact that you've listed two things he does well, as well as at least being "not bad" at finishing suggests to me that he isn't!

    I suppose the other two also offer some sort of aerial threat. In a way though, this is why as a group our strikers aren't too bad. With perhaps the exception of a "target man", we do have the range of areas covered that you'd want from a strikeforce. Unfortunately we need three players to do so and can't play them all at once.

  13. #13

    Default

    Can't help but wonder if Hughes and the team know Gabbi is gone, which is why Hughes didn't play him vs Man City. If he's out the door it makes sense to play Austin and Long, since they will likely be here again next season.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    Can't help but wonder if Hughes and the team know Gabbi is gone, which is why Hughes didn't play him vs Man City. If he's out the door it makes sense to play Austin and Long, since they will likely be here again next season.
    As Bertrand got injured we don't know if Gabbi may have been brought on at the end or not. MH may have brought him on towards the end to get a goal if not

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfahaji View Post
    Maybe, but more one-dimensional than Austin and Long? The fact that you've listed two things he does well, as well as at least being "not bad" at finishing suggests to me that he isn't!

    I suppose the other two also offer some sort of aerial threat. In a way though, this is why as a group our strikers aren't too bad. With perhaps the exception of a "target man", we do have the range of areas covered that you'd want from a strikeforce. Unfortunately we need three players to do so and can't play them all at once.
    Trouble is we've been heaving a lot of long balls up the middle as if we did have a target man

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Blackfield, Southampton
    Posts
    1,162

    Default

    I for one hope Gabbi stays. His agent came out the other day to say that he's happy in England.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SO14
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Really hope he stays, he has obvious ability but has been unlucky first with injury and then being frozen out and having his confidence destroyed by the clueless one. Under the right management I think he can thrive here.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    3,766

    Default

    Gabbiadini speaking on Italian radio...

    “SOCCER, SOUTHAMPTON; GABBIADINI: I WANT TO CONTINUE TO GROW HERE
    "I'm still young and I want to grow in this dimension, I feel comfortable in the Premier". Manolo Gabbiadini can still be seen with Southampton jersey. The former Napoli striker, guest of "Pezzi da 90" on the Umbrian broadcaster Radio Onda Libera, was the author of the goal-salvation in the clash against Swansea. "I have done my job and my duty, we will play in Premier again next year, and this is what we need to do." For over a year and a half in England, Gabbiadini is happy with the choice made: "I like the passion that you see in the stands with the correct behavior and the constant incitement towards your team. I miss good food and the Italian climate , but I'm there to play and I feel good ". The Saints striker is now hoping to return to wearing the blue shirt after the disappointment of the play-off world: "to finish with that match against Sweden was really bad, I am aware that the national team must pass for the club where I play and I have to do well to regain it, it's my goal Mancini ct? I do not know him personally and it's clear that his curriculum is clear.It's an excellent 'purchase' for our national team. It's clear that the field always counts and the results ".

    http://sport.repubblica.it/news/spor...6?refresh_cens

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gotham city
    Posts
    5,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfahaji View Post
    Maybe, but more one-dimensional than Austin and Long? The fact that you've listed two things he does well, as well as at least being "not bad" at finishing suggests to me that he isn't!

    I suppose the other two also offer some sort of aerial threat. In a way though, this is why as a group our strikers aren't too bad. With perhaps the exception of a "target man", we do have the range of areas covered that you'd want from a strikeforce. Unfortunately we need three players to do so and can't play them all at once.
    Gabbis movement, positional sense and hold up play are in a different class to Austin & long!

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    THE NOU CAMP
    Posts
    1,585

    Default

    I personally hope he stays. IMHO he is the best striker at the club and miles better than what we other options we have. I think it was shocking how he was treated by the clueless so called manager.

  21. Default

    I have a feeling he'll stick around now, probably due to there not being too many suitors willing to pay the $$ he's on. But he's got ability we can work with for sure.

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    Gabbis movement, positional sense and hold up play are in a different class to Austin & long!

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    I’m not sure what point you’re arguing with me...?

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    West Coast Portugal/Romsey
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Good food Gabbiadini, says it all!!

  24. #24

    Default

    Would like to see him in behind a striker, or coming in off the right.

  25. #25

    Default

    https://www.calciomercato.com/en/new...n-the-si-91928

    Southampton star Gabbiadini likely to make Serie A return: the situation

    Southampton striker Manolo Gabbiadini has had a disappointing career at the South Coast of England, despite the promising start to life at St. Mary's. As things stand, reports have linked him with a move back to Italy and he is likely to head back to the Serie A this summer.

    Corriere dello Sport have linked Fiorentina with a move for Gabbiadini and the La Viola see the former Napoli man as a prime target this summer.

    Tuttosport though, have linked Lazio with a move for the Saints striker, with the club confident that they can help the player rediscover his form. Lotito enjoys a good relationship with his Southampton counterparts and he could make the deal happen.

    Torino have also drawn links with the player as Mirko Valdifiori and Davide Baselli reportedly urged the Italian to join the club.

    And fresh reports have also linked Parma to the striker, stating that Gabbiadini will cost 15 million euros to potential suitors this summer.
    Sounds like we've made him available or his agent is certainly banding him about.

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    https://www.calciomercato.com/en/new...n-the-si-91928



    Sounds like we've made him available or his agent is certainly banding him about.
    We probably need a striker that will suit our system more.
    Gabby is a fantastic poacher and one to beat the last man but we are more of a team that goes down the byline and whips crosses in.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    We probably need a striker that will suit our system more.
    Gabby is a fantastic poacher and one to beat the last man but we are more of a team that goes down the byline and whips crosses in.
    We haven't had a system. Last time we need was when Gabbi arrived and scored regularly. Since then, it's been isolated strikers, wouldn't matter who they were.

    If we sell him and end up relying on Austin and Long we'll just be in trouble again. Really hoping Hughes judgement is better than that and he'd use him as the main striker once we had a summer to reset things.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Apparently, he doesn't want to leave:

    http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/06/12...ampton-future/

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    17,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post
    Apparently, he doesn't want to leave:

    http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/06/12...ampton-future/

    His agent struggling to find anyone else who wants him?

  30. #30

    Default

    Would expect he's on too much money here which rules him out going back to Italy. He needs to be considerably better than he was last year to be first pick though...

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Would expect he's on too much money here which rules him out going back to Italy. He needs to be considerably better than he was last year to be first pick though...
    Doesn't rule him out. If he is genuinely unhappy he can still go back there on reduced (but still massive) wages.


  32. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    Typical crappy Mail journalism:

    "he is 'on a pre-booked holiday' in Italy - with photographs showing him relaxing on a beach in Formentera"


  33. #34

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    Typical crappy Mail journalism:

    "he is 'on a pre-booked holiday' in Italy - with photographs showing him relaxing on a beach in Formentera"

    Excuse me, "journalism"?

  34. Default

    Surely his £89,000 Merc comes with a facility where you can speak to your phone and it types your message out.

  35. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    gutter
    Posts
    13,927

    Default

    Stupid Pr1ck

  36. #37

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    17,551

    Default

    Looks like he has picked up more points on his driving licence, since coming to the UK, than he did for saints this season ...

  37. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post
    Excuse me, "journalism"?
    Yes, silly me.

  38. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dining room table
    Posts
    12,117

    Default

    After Duckhunters rant against the late Butch Wilkins for drink driving can we expect the same level of outrage against one of our own players for also doing something stupid behind the wheel?

  39. #40

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    17,507
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    After Duckhunters rant against the late Butch Wilkins for drink driving can we expect the same level of outrage against one of our own players for also doing something stupid behind the wheel?
    Bore off.

  40. #41

    Default

    Daft think to do and i presume the other points were speeding related, i think Tadic had a six month ban end of last year as well.

  41. #42

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fulchester
    Posts
    9,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pluto View Post
    Daft think to do and i presume the other points were speeding related, i think Tadic had a six month ban end of last year as well.
    All hail the new Guly!!

  42. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    THE NOU CAMP
    Posts
    1,585

    Default

    I honestly hope he stays and Hughes recognises he is the most gifted of all our strikers. If we can once again play attacking football with good service to Gabby in the box he will score a hatful. He has been utterly wasted by the previous idiot of a manager.

  43. #44

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,001

    Default

    Lousy choice of car for an Italian, why no Ferrari?

  44. #45

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dining room table
    Posts
    12,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Bore off.
    That's a no then is it Shylock? This is a very disappointing put down by someone with such a long and illustrious history of slagging off fellow posters. Foolish of me to think that anyone else is allowed to have a pop at other posters too. Carry on pal.

  45. #46

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    17,507
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    That's a no then is it Shylock? This is a very disappointing put down by someone with such a long and illustrious history of slagging off fellow posters. Foolish of me to think that anyone else is allowed to have a pop at other posters too. Carry on pal.
    Antisemite.

  46. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    upthecreekwithoutapaddle
    Posts
    6,485

    Default

    It's always frustrating when players prove their talent then underperform, but that was the story of the last two seasons for most of the team under Puel and the clown. I'd very much like to see how Gabbi does under Hughes's training next season. When he scores, they are very important goals.

  47. #48

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    17,507
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
    It's always frustrating when players prove their talent then underperform, but that was the story of the last two seasons for most of the team under Puel and the clown. I'd very much like to see how Gabbi does under Hughes's training next season. When he scores, they are very important goals.
    Other than being thrown as a last roll of the dice against Swansea, do you think Hughes views Gabbi as a long-term starter?

  48. #49

    Default

    Anyone caught using a phone while driving should not be allowed to drive again. Same with drink driving.

  49. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Other than being thrown as a last roll of the dice against Swansea, do you think Hughes views Gabbi as a long-term starter?
    Didn't Hughes start him in the first few games he was in charge, while Gabbi was pretty low on confidence?

    Think he may see the potential in him and might give him another run. Really just have to wait to see how preseason plays out before we'll have much of a clue.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •