Manolo Gabbiadini: Joins Sampdoria - Official

Portugalsaint

Flatters to deceive, doesn't score goals and struggles to impact games in the main.

We should be trying to replace our non-scorers, so this is a start.

Yeah. Gabbi always seemed like one of the players most likely to have definitive interest in him too so no surprise he's linked (Again) with a move away.

ummmm, we have Austin and Ings both whose long term fitness is very questionable and Long who couldn't hit a barn door from 2 foot out and we are prepared to let Gabby go.....who in my opinion would score goals in this new high press tempo Ralph is bringing to the team.

Are we really going to rely on Austin, Ings and Long staying fit to supply the goals??......very very dangerous IMHO unless another striker is being looked at??

I bloody well hope so.

Personally based on what we see on the pitch I am shocked that gabbi never gets a look in..by far our most balanced striker..would u really prefer to start Austin and long ?

Have to agree. I don't think it will take Ralph long to work out that Austin and Long are "impact" subs these days, not starters.

La Natzione reporting that Gabbi wants a return to Italy, Bologna and Fiorentina interested, Fiorentina firm favourites. Ralph is fine with the move. CSKA were also interested but Gabbi only wants Italy. Looks like he's on his way. Shame as I don't think we ever saw the best of Gabbi but if Ralph needs the money then time to say goodbye....

Southampton forward Manolo Gabbiadini continues to be an important name in the Italian rumour mill, and it looks like clubs will finally go for him in the January market.

There are two updates on the player today. One comes from Corriere Fiorentino, who say that Fiorentina should try to sign him by the start of January.

La Viola found themselves short of useful players in the last games against Parma, and that need should make them move quickly for Gabbiadini in the winter market.

Then journalist Alessio Lento, from Calcio Mercato, claims that there are now four clubs who are chasing the Southampton striker.

It’s reported that La Liga side Real Betis have now joined Fiorentina, Bologna and Spartak Moscow in the race for the player who’s ‘leaving’ the Premier League side.

Lento writes that the operation should be made for between €13m and €15m, and could end up being a loan with an option to buy.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-player-cost-e15m-four-clubs-chasing/

It would be great if we could shift two or three in Jan and let Ralph handpick someone who he thinks will give us what he's looking for and some genuine extra quality.

If we could get the wages of Gabbi, Davis, Forster and Hoedt off the books that's probably over 200k a week saved.

Still think there's a real player here and it's a bit of a waste if we lose him... clearly offers a mile more then Austin and long and also has probably the best technique from all our attackers..seems to get unjustified stick really.. it's more down to him being out of the team then not being decent it's difficult to make impact in fifteen minutes off the bench and the people look at the stats and judge him as a non scoring forward a bit skewed imo

Still think there's a real player here and it's a bit of a waste if we lose him... clearly offers a mile more then Austin and long and also has probably the best technique from all our attackers..seems to get unjustified stick really.. it's more down to him being out of the team then not being decent it's difficult to make impact in fifteen minutes off the bench and the people look at the stats and judge him as a non scoring forward a bit skewed imo

I think he was initially brilliant, probably fell out of love with the club when Pellegrino came in and when he'd had enough of living away from Italy (he's always in the Italian eateries in Winch, like a Brit expat solely eating and drinking in an Irish pub) and I do wonder if a high pressing style is really his game. Shame to see him go, but if it frees up money for a central defender and a striker then...

Fiorentina moving on...

MURIEL JOINS FIORENTINA

Fiorentina have beaten AC Milan to the loan signing of Sevilla striker Luis Muriel and retain the right to purchase him – reportedly for €13m (£11.8m) – at the end of the season.

Colombia international Muriel became Sevilla's record signing when he joined from Sampdoria for a reported €22m (£19.9m) in July 2017, but he has failed to live up to expectations.

I would have thought his time might be better spent talking his client up to prospective buyers rather than to us.

he will need to find out what the selling terms are, the fee and percentage of wage we are willing to pay etc. and how much money he will personally be paid for finding his client a new club.

On January 3rd, we carried a report from Estadio Deportivo, who claimed that Real Betis are interested in signing Manolo Gabbiadini, while there are clubs in Italy also looking at the Southampton striker.

Since Ralph Hasenhuttl replaced Mark Hughes at St Mary’s Stadium, the 27-year-old has made one substitute appearance and was left out of the squad for the remaining matches.

The new Saints manager has admitted the former Napoli man can leave the club in the ongoing transfer window and Calciomercato.it have now brought the latest update surrounding his future.

Betis’ interest is once again relayed by the Italian website, while other clubs like CSKA Moscow, Spartak Moscow, Fenerbahçe and Schalke also gets a mention as these five clubs are in the race for the player’s signature.

At this stage, the possibility of the frontman returning to the Serie A is limited and the Premier League outfit are ready to sanction his transfer as they have worked out two different formulas.

The first one is to sell him for a fee of €13-€15m in January and the other one is to send him out on loan with an option or obligation to buy after the end of the season.

It would be interesting to see as to where Gabbiadini will play after January.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/clubs-interested-southampton-player-saints-come-two-different-january-transfer-plans/

Southampton striker Manolo Gabbiadini is in talks with Sampdoria over a loan-to-buy move back to Italy, Football Insider understands.

The Serie A big hitters are set to take Gabbiadini initially on loan until the end of the season with an obligation to buy for £9million.

A well-placed source has told Football Insider that the Italy international has been informed he can leave Southampton during this month’s transfer window as he does not figure in new boss Ralph Hasenhuttl’s plans going forward at St Mary’s Stadium.

Gabbiadini has made only one appearance under Hasenhuttl – as a late substitute in the defeat to Cardiff in his first game in charge – and he has not been included in the squad for the last five games.

However, he has struggled to replicate that form scoring just six goals in all competitions since that flying start.

The 27-year-old is keen to move back to Italy to kick-start his career and Sampdoria are ready to offer him a return to Serie A.

Gabbiadini enjoyed a 18-month spell at Sampdoria before joining Napoli in 2015, scoring 19 goals in 50 games for blucerchiati.

Source: https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-southampton-27-yr-old-in-talks-to-join-new-club-in-9m-deal/

I quite like him as a player but he hasn't received the service which could show his true potential. Obviously Ralph sees him differently but his reactions in front of goal have always looked positive. I shall be sorry to see him leave.

No idea how Ralph sees him but assume in their 1 to 1 he made it clear he wasn’t loving being at saints and wasn’t committed and that was that. Not itk but he’s given most a chance really soassumw it’s more than just not thinking he’s any good

Yeah, he's a 'fox in the box' and has the quickest reactions around, hence his goals so far. But we tend not to drop the ball in the box and hope for a pinball goal.

...which is precisely what kept us up at swansea last season, courtesy of gabbi.

I expect any Italian club to loan and then back out of transfer fee.

that sounds about right. However, I think his Italian caps and early signing form might just be enough for us to demand a fee. It's got to be now though. Another 5 months of not playing and he will definitely be worthless.

DiMarzio adds a bit more detail to this.

Southampton, Gabbiadini could return to Sampdoria: the situation

Sampdoria are working on many fronts between departures and arrivals: Manolo Gabbiadini is an important one as he's on his way out from England and currently looking for an exciting opportunity in Serie A.

Sampdoria are thinking about having him return to the blucerchiati: they've offered Southampton a loan with a €12m option to buy. Before getting Gabbiadini back in Italy, Samp would have to sell one between Defrel and Caprari though.

Source: https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/southampton-gabbiadini-could-return-to-sampdoria-the-situation

When we signed him and he went on that run which was right off the back of a similar run he left Napoli on I thought we had struck gold. Especially with Austin out injured at the time. Then he just stopped scoring, and I hoped he wouldn't revert to his career upto this point and maybe turn into a Beattie where's he had a few barren run's before scoring loads in a row again. Didn't really happen. He has ability, though finishing isn't great but to me seems like someone that sees football as a well paid job and not a hobby. He doesn't seem to have a passion for it to drive himself to the top. I think managers see this as all of them drop him after a while, even in his brief international call ups.

Saying all that, our team since his arrival has been poor and, like all of our forwards, has had really, really terrible service, especially from fullbacks who none of them can come close to the offensive play of Shaw or Clyne for eg. Ah I wish we could put out a best saints team since the return to the prem. Title winning for sure!

Edited by SaintStinger

When we signed him and he went on that run which was right off the back of a similar run he left Napoli on I thought we had struck gold. Especially with Austin out injured at the time. Then he just stopped scoring, and I hoped he wouldn't revert to his career upto this point and maybe turn into a Beattie where's he had a few barren run's before scoring loads in a row again. Didn't really happen. He has ability, though finishing isn't great but to me seems like someone that sees football as a well paid job and not a hobby. He doesn't seem to have a passion for it to drive himself to the top. I think managers see this as all of them drop him after a while, even in his brief international call ups.

Saying all that, our team since his arrival has been poor and, like all of our forwards, has had really, really terrible service, especially from fullbacks who none of them can come close to the offensive play of Shaw or Clyne for eg. Ah I wish we could put out a best saints team since the return to the prem. Title winning for sure!

He didn't just stop scoring though, he got injured, and really ever since he returned he hasn't been given a proper run in the team. He's clearly a confidence player so being given bit part sub appearances with little to no service was never going to get him back to his best.

I trust Ralph to sort us out and I've accepted Gabbi is on his way, but it does sadden me a bit as I think he is a talented player who has been criminally misused in his time here.

Never can I remember a player being so misused by us in my supporting life. It seems to be the right decision for all that he is leaving, but I'll be really sad to see him go. You only had to be at the Watford game this season to see him playing on the right wing and being our best player on the pitch, making the sort of passes he would love to receive but never does. As mentioned, clearly a confidence player who was shattered by the worst manager this club has ever had, and then never really given enough by Mark Hughes when he needed it. His two goals at the cup final will remain one of my greatest memories as a Saints fan, and his goal at Swansea is probably the best moment I've experienced at a live match, and potentially (if we stay up this season) could be the single most important goal in my supporting life and saved us from potential disaster both on and off the pitch.

Thanks Gabbi, if it is goodbye - Appreciated by the majority of the fans, and a huge contribution to our club in a short space of time.

When was the last time he actually had a run of games ?

a two game run, starting against Fulham and Watford this season is the only consecutive starts. He had two spells when he started four games in a row last season. The season before that he started pretty much every game apart from a three game injury spell.

Never can I remember a player being so misused by us in my supporting life. It seems to be the right decision for all that he is leaving, but I'll be really sad to see him go. You only had to be at the Watford game this season to see him playing on the right wing and being our best player on the pitch, making the sort of passes he would love to receive but never does. As mentioned, clearly a confidence player who was shattered by the worst manager this club has ever had, and then never really given enough by Mark Hughes when he needed it. His two goals at the cup final will remain one of my greatest memories as a Saints fan, and his goal at Swansea is probably the best moment I've experienced at a live match, and potentially (if we stay up this season) could be the single most important goal in my supporting life and saved us from potential disaster both on and off the pitch.

Thanks Gabbi, if it is goodbye - Appreciated by the majority of the fans, and a huge contribution to our club in a short space of time.

couldnt agree more, nail on head post. and what makes it more frustrating is him being frozen out whilst we use far bigger liabilitys like Austin and long. you pretty much know what you are going to get with those two and its not good, whilst gabbiadini I don't think we have even scratched the surface of his potential, you can tell he has a good long range shot on him but we haven't really had much chance to see it

Never can I remember a player I had so high hopes being such a disappointment. Gabbi started in such a rush and I really thought we had a star, but sadly it never clicked. He had many chances and whilst many will say he didnt have enough, surely he should have made himself un-droppable when those chances came.

This idea that he hasn't had chances is a bit odd really. Four managers in a row haven't fancied him; one or two maybe you could say is unlucky, but four of them all having the same opinion on him smacks of the problem being with him.

Good summary. In addition to him suffering from appalling managers, he also (as did the rest of the team) struggled without a Rickie/Pelle type partner up front. It would be better to keep him and bring in such a player, but that won't happen since they need to sell him for transfer funds. That's what happens when a fortune has been squandered on Moi, Hoedt, Vestergaard, and the Donkey, along with the Clown and Hughes payoffs.

Edit: Forgot to add Boufal to that list.

Edited by Dark Munster

If you look at the stats, he is even less effective than Shane Long. His arrival produced some real expectations from him, but he was flattering to deceive. As I keep on pointing out, he has never scored more than 8 goals in a league season. That is a shocking return for a centre forward. He might have made the Italian national team, but that team didn't make it to the WC finals.