Manolo Gabbiadini: Joins Sampdoria - Official

Portugalsaint

I don't get the Gabbi love on here. He really has never done much, and frankly has not been selected by a number of managers now. So its not just one manager who he got on the wrong side of for some reason. Where there is smoke there is fire. When I see Ralph, Hughes, and mP not select him then I assume its not the but him. We lose absolutely nothing when he goes. If you want pace put in Long, if you want a "box" scoring threat put in Austin. Gabbi seems to be ok at all of it, but not the best at any of them

If you look at the stats, he is even less effective than Shane Long. His arrival produced some real expectations from him, but he was flattering to deceive. As I keep on pointing out, he has never scored more than 8 goals in a league season. That is a shocking return for a centre forward. He might have made the Italian national team, but that team didn't make it to the WC finals.

try looking at it in a fair way. if you judge his goals scored compared to starts instead of pointless last 15 min sub appearances

he scored 4 in 10 in premier starts for us 2016 2017. 11 starts in prem 5 goals. and this season 1 goal in four games.

certainly a lot better then we would get from the likes of long which is somewhere between a goal every two and half games or just over

try looking at it in a fair way. if you judge his goals scored compared to starts instead of pointless last 15 min sub appearances

he scored 4 in 10 in premier starts for us 2016 2017. 11 starts in prem 5 goals. and this season 1 goal in four games.

certainly a lot better then we would get from the likes of long which is somewhere between a goal every two and half games or just over

If you're going to interpret the statistics like that, I'm not sure it's fair to include goals which he scored as a substitute. With that being said, goals scored when starting;

16/17 - 10 starts / 4 goals

17/18 - 11 starts / 3 goals

18/19 - 4 starts / 1 goal

Total - 25 starts / 8 goals (i.e. scores every 3.13 starts)

By contrast,

Danny Ings - 14 starts / 7 goals (scores every 2 starts)

Jay Rod - 9 starts / 4 goals (scores every 2.25 starts)

Charlie Austin - 29 starts / 10 goals (scores every 2.9 starts)

Manolo Gab - 25 starts / 8 goals (scores every 3.13 starts)

Shane Long - 30 starts / 4 goals (scores every 7.5 starts :scared:)

Ultimately, if he's one of the players we can SELL to raise funds for Ralph's targets, I'd happily see him go. Good luck to him and all that though.

Edited by Donatello

Never really done much applies to everyone under the last couple of managers. It's not a good way to judge.

He's decent enough, better than Austin or Long but he doesn't fit the system and has a good resale value still so he'll go. Makes sense. Good luck to him, his cup final goals were a great memory. Shame he just played in such dire negative teams after that.

Yes, agree with this. I don’t think Ralph thinks Long or Austin are better players than Gabbiadini but he knows that he needs to shift at least 1 forward out in order to get someone in who will better suit his way of playing. Austin and Long would be extremely difficult to shift without the club pretty much still funding all their wages in a loan deal. Whereas Gabbi has much more potential for selling with the interest in him in Italy, so he is the man to go.

All makes sense, as long as we make sure we replace him with someone decent, so we don’t have to rely on Long and Austin! Really, the sooner a deal can be done for Gabbi the better so we can get on with bringing who Ralph wants in.

Gotta love those translators...

Sampdoria continue pursuit of Southampton's Gabbiadini

Sampdoria are determined to bring Manolo Gabbiadini back to Serie A. The Blucerchiati are in fact still chasing the Italian striker, currently at Southampton and they seem close to succeed in their pursuit, as they seem willing to make the investement, regardless of Defrel's future.

The possible signing of Gabbiadini is however linked with Polish striker Kownacki's departure, who is eyed by Fortuna Düsseldorf. Sampdoria is set to pull the trigger on the deal, in order to get ahead of Real Betis in the race to Manolo Gabbiadini.

Source: https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/sampdoria-continue-pursuit-of-southamptons-gabbiadini

Fee explained.

GABBIADINI DEAL AGREED

News moves quickly doesn't it. Manolo Gabbiadini is definitely joining Sampdoria from Southampton on a permanent deal, following an initial loan.

Sampdoria will pay an £10.75m (€12m) in all, made up of £2.6m for the loan and £8.1m when he moves in the summer.

yes, it was definitely one hell of a fantastic moment.

"Ooooooh Gabbiadiiiiniiiiiii"

Will forever remain one of my greatest memories as a Saints fan.

Thanks for your contribution Manolo. I'm sorry it didn't quite work out for you as I'm sure you had more to offer. Good luck at Sampdoria.

Ciao Signore.

Shame it didn't work out after his promising start. I will never forget the goal celebrations and atmosphere that followed his second goal in the cup final.

An impressive record for someone who became a bit part player, League Cup final goals, and at Swansea last season.

Great shame that his next two managers didn't seem able to accomodate him in their teams (Pellegrino then Hughes).

Hope all goes well for him at home in Italy.

Needs to get his confidence back which has been shot the last 18 months, finally scored the goal to keep us up then there was only one game left which he did not participate in.

1 in 5 goal record which is poor but i'm sure his minutes to goal record would look a lot better, out of his 28 league apps last season he was subbed on 19 times and only played 90 minutes 3 times

A real shame it hasn't worked out for him at Saints as that early spell when he joined shows he definitely has the talent. Possibly should have been given more consistent runs in the team to build his confidence.

But I accept that Ralph needs to be given a chance to bring in his own players so we need to clear space for him to do that.

Will always remember his goals at Wembley, especially the brilliant second and the minutes following it. And also of course the crucial goal at Swansea.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It was such a shame that Saints became so obsessed with possession stats that they stopped looking for his runs. Any decent manager would have sat the midfield down, shown them videos of the runs he was making in games and then ask them why they weren't passing to him.

Thanks for the Wembely hat-trick , and the goal at Swansea, and all the best for the future.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/09/manolo-gabbiadini-to-move-from-southampton-to-sampdoria-?CMP=share_btn_tw

Story picked up by the Guardian too.

As others has said he had some special moments at the start and it's just a shame he couldn't kick on to more with us. I hope his move back to Italy allows him to rediscover his shooting boots.

With him and Davo out Ralph certainly seems intent on a clear out. Let's hope somebody wants to take big Wes off our hands for a reasonable fee.

£3.8 million loss then on the transfer, not terrible considering he has done very little in the last year or so and the market in Italy is not strong.

I'd presume they are paying his wages as well, as hopefully are Rangers, so what like maybe £70k a week freed up from the wage bill as well?

Hopefully this gives us room to move for a striker now.

£3.8 million loss then on the transfer, not terrible considering he has done very little in the last year or so and the market in Italy is not strong.

I'd presume they are paying his wages as well, as hopefully are Rangers, so what like maybe £70k a week freed up from the wage bill as well?

Davis was probably on 60k. Gabbiadini similar, maybe more.

And you think we got 2 years free use out of him? On the other thread about him, I pointed out that the £14m spread over 4½ years works out at £3.1m a year so the remaining value of the contract is £7.7m. The response to that was that he isn't a 2nd hand car!!

And you think we got 2 years free use out of him? On the other thread about him, I pointed out that the £14m spread over 4½ years works out at £3.1m a year so the remaining value of the contract is £7.7m. The response to that was that he isn't a 2nd hand car!!

Clearly the situation is substantially more complicated than you describe, as otherwise players would never sell for more than the value of their remaining contract, or indeed, for more than they were originally signed for. My observation was simply to point out the magnitude of the extent to which we got ripped off by Monaco last January, as by comparison Gabbi and Carillo are almost exactly the same in age, contract length and performance, yet we've taken a haircut on the deal and they doubled their money (by your valuation method, Monaco should've been happy to give us Carillo for about £4m).

Sure, some appreciate in value, some don't. You always hope that they do. But it isn't a guarantee, especially when they aren't very good. Carillo - I think let's wait and see with him, and cross that bridge later on. He of course was very much over priced, although I see transfermarket saying he has a value of €15m, which I think is pretty generous.

But Gabbi has appreciated over the value left on his contract which of course is not what you were wanting/hoping for. You were wanting him to have appreciated over the initial purchase price. I get that. It's nice when it happens, but not every player is a van Dijk. Personally I think it pretty good price, and I don't see it as a loss (while realising why you do).

Good Luck to him. There is a decent player in there somewhere. Just needs better players around him. He makes the right runs, it's just our midfield are not good enough to find him.

This. He often looked on a different wavelength to the other players.

Or if I have understood the squad size numbers right, allows another nipper out of the academy into the squad by freeing up a shirt number............as Ralph said in a recent pre match press conference the "as we have seen, the best deals are very rarely done in the January window": thought a little dig towards the purchase of Carillo was hidden in there.

All the best to him, good player who was woefully misused overall. Gave us some great memories n all.

Good start to the window though, getting people out is almost as difficult as it is getting good people in. Two senior salaries out the door and doesnt really effect the first team.

The best things since we left European football under Puel have been:

- Anfield away in League Cup semi

- The minutes after Gabbi scored the second goal at Wembley in the final

- The goal at Swansea

So, whilst he ultimately hasn't delivered consistently (for whatever reason), he will always be associated with some top memories. As will Long for that goal at Anfield!

Or if I have understood the squad size numbers right, allows another nipper out of the academy into the squad by freeing up a shirt number............as Ralph said in a recent pre match press conference the "as we have seen, the best deals are very rarely done in the January window": thought a little dig towards the purchase of Carillo was hidden in there.

U21s don't count towards the 25 man squad limit, so Gabbi leaving won't affect this. It will mean we will have another over 21 place free in addition to the one already freed up by Davis leaving. I assume one of these will be taken by the (over 21) Hesketh which leaves us one free if we are to add a new signing or loan. I assume this would be for a CB.

We could easily free up another space as we are carrying 5 first team keepers which is not needed. While the 4th choice (Lewis) is on the U21 list the 5th choice (Rose) is on the 25 man Over 21 list so omitting him would be a no brainer.

Not really how transfers work though is it, players with one year left on their contract can go for way more than they were originally signed because they have played better, improved or shown they can perform at a different level.

I'd presume that the club thought that signing a 24 year old Italian international from a good club like Napoli, that if we sold him on with 2+ years left on the contract and with transfer fee inflation we would actually make a profit from him, instead we are making a loss, but IMO not a bad loss.

The value left on his contract is pretty irrelevant, you don't pay transfer fees to get a player for a certain number of years, you pay transfer fees to get him from another club, his wages are then what you pay him for his services.

Even in defeat we have wonderful memories, that second goal and the 10 minutes after will live with me forever, still got it on Sky and watch it every so often.

agreed. He looked the business that day. Guess we slowly drew that out of him