Manolo Gabbiadini: Joins Sampdoria - Official

Portugalsaint

I wonder if our recruitment focus needs to shift away from Italy to other, more successful hunting grounds on the continent:

Gabbiadini: hit then miss

Lemina: hit and miss

Ramirez: hit(ish) then miss

Hoedt: complete miss

Osvaldo: complete headcase (unfortunately because he did look like he could cut it IMO)

In fact the only ones I can think of who came to us from Italy's top flight, who did ok, were both British: Paul Rideout and Joe Jordan (and that goes back 25-30 years). As others have said, thanks for the Cup Final and keeping us up, though, Gabbi and good luck back in Italy.

I wonder if our recruitment focus needs to shift away from Italy to other, more successful hunting grounds on the continent:

Osvaldo: complete headcase (unfortunately because he did look like he could cut it IMO)

In fact the only ones I can think of who came to us from Italy's top flight, who did ok, were both British: Paul Rideout and Joe Jordan (and that goes back 25-30 years). As others have said, thanks for the Cup Final and keeping us up, though, Gabbi and good luck back in Italy.

i've said something along those lines before, until MLG comes up with 'you shouldn't discount a whole league because of a couple of examples'! Obviously, there is both good and bad transfers from Serie A, but it has brought its fair share of rubbish onto the PL too.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/why-do-so-many-big-serie-signings-flop-premier-league

http://www.squawka.com/en/news/10-serie-a-misses/433451#kGUR8CEokekAulLH.97

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/gallery/transfer-flops-serie-a-stars-that-failed-in-english-premier-league-082515

^^but it is something that attracts discussion...

Anyways, thanks Gabbi for the Wembley memories and Swansea goal- I genuinely thought after the Sunderland away game that we brought a peach of a player, but injuries after that and Pellegrino hampered him and then there probably was the case of feeling homesick.

Gabbiadini’s certainly better at scoring goals than Long (not a hard thing to achieve) and Austin. He’s more mobile than Austin as well (again no great achievement) so I’m not sure how Gabbiadini failed to fit in under Hasenhüttl while Austin remains. Perhaps it was simply a matter of resale value.

Ultimately, of the four managers that he played under, only Puel gave him a decent run in the side, and his injury against Spurs that season did not help.

I’ll always be grateful for his goal against Swansea.

Gabbiadini’s certainly better at scoring goals than Long (not a hard thing to achieve) and Austin. He’s more mobile than Austin as well (again no great achievement) so I’m not sure how Gabbiadini failed to fit in under Hasenhüttl while Austin remains. Perhaps it was simply a matter of resale value.

Ultimately, of the four managers that he played under, only Puel gave him a decent run in the side, and his injury against Spurs that season did not help.

I’ll always be grateful for his goal against Swansea.

Yeah, I think ultimately he was easier to sell.

Needs to get his confidence back which has been shot the last 18 months, finally scored the goal to keep us up then there was only one game left which he did not participate in.

1 in 5 goal record which is poor but i'm sure his minutes to goal record would look a lot better, out of his 28 league apps last season he was subbed on 19 times and only played 90 minutes 3 times

I make it out to stand at 1 goal per 227 mins (approximately!).

For comparison (1 Prem league goal with Saints per mins),

Ings - 152.7

Austin - 181.1

Lambert - 212.5

Mane - 225.8

Gabbi - 227.1

JRod - 229.8

Pelle - 235.9

Long - 352.8

Of course, a lot of those players were more productive in terms of assists, and if you factor those in, Gabbi would be bottom of the list above.

Edited by Donatello

Papa Waigo

Guly

Cosimo Sarli

Papa Waigo

Guly

Cosimo Sarli

Used to watch Sarli all the time in the Reserves at The Dell. He used to fire them in for fun ! Unfortunately, Dave Jones never saw any potential and never got a start for Saints !

Even in defeat we have wonderful memories, that second goal and the 10 minutes after will live with me forever, still got it on Sky and watch it every so often.

Anyone know where I can watch the whole match again?

I haven't since the big day and I'd had a few.

It's also not a loan, it's a full sale. So the money is in the bank...
Paid over 3 years, according to Di Marzio. Which is pretty much like any deal.

Thats what makes it so complicated to sell players. We likely haven't finished paying for the fees of Hoedt, Boufal, Carillo etc.

feel sad about this one. I always had high hopes for him, just thought he didn't really get a run in the team going and his confidence in full flow.. also very annoying losing him when we have the dynamic duo of Austin and long getting games over him..its a bit like having elyounoussi start when we could have had boufal..

anyway, guess will have to give Ralph the benefit of the doubt on this as I do believe he will be great for us, lets just hope we actually bring in a decent replacement..

all the best in Italy Manolo and thanks for everything :)

Another nearly but not quite player for us, re Boufal, Tadic etc, but at least he had some great moments. Our attacking options are critically low now if Ings can't play : Long, Austin, Obafemi..... Barnes ? Maybe Vest can get on the end of a corner or two, JWP free kick, Hoj screamer...... help !

Another nearly but not quite player for us, re Boufal, Tadic etc, but at least he had some great moments. Our attacking options are critically low now if Ings can't play : Long, Austin, Obafemi..... Barnes ? Maybe Vest can get on the end of a corner or two, JWP free kick, Hoj screamer...... help !
Eh? Tadic was really good for us on the whole.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hardly prolific as proven here. First goal in nearly 2 months. Look forward to the next post within the next month saying he got another goal.

He has gone. Let's move on

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

TBF, aside from Long's borderline o.g. none of our strikers have scored since Christmas.

TBF, aside from Long's borderline o.g. none of our strikers have scored since Christmas.
When our strikers score 2 goals in 2 months can we start a thread about them. Gabbiadini was never the answer going to be the answer here and he has now left, I don't see the point in putting up things like he scored again! Again 2 in 2 months. Hardly Amazing

When our strikers score 2 goals in 2 months can we start a thread about them. Gabbiadini was never the answer going to be the answer here and he has now left, I don't see the point in putting up things like he scored again! Again 2 in 2 months. Hardly Amazing

Up to you whether you want to discuss him or not, just pointing out that we currently have 5 strikers who have scored a combined 0.5 goals in 3 months.

If he had stayed here and scored 3 goals it would be something.

Unless the question was: Who scored the goal to keep us up against Swansea?

;)