Manolo Gabbiadini: Joins Sampdoria - Official

Portugalsaint

A huge thanks to this man, without him we would probably have been relegated.

He comes across as a shy private individual. He deserved more time on the pitch and I for one was amazed he wasn’t bought on in the second half against City.

Really hope he stays and gets more game time.

A huge thanks to this man, without him we would probably have been relegated.

He comes across as a shy private individual. He deserved more time on the pitch and I for one was amazed he wasn’t bought on in the second half against City.

Really hope he stays and gets more game time.

I think that's because he wouldn't have offered us a change in style. I've alluded to this in the 'strikers' thread, but Gabbiadini is probably the best 'all round' striker we have, but ironically that may mean he gets the least game time, because we either want someone to be a focal point for direct balls and crosses (Austin) or someone to get in behind and stretch the game (Long). If one isn't working, you try the other. Gabbiadini is then only used if "current plan is working but striker is tired" or "throw caution to the wind" type scenarios.

I think that's because he wouldn't have offered us a change in style. I've alluded to this in the 'strikers' thread, but Gabbiadini is probably the best 'all round' striker we have, but ironically that may mean he gets the least game time, because we either want someone to be a focal point for direct balls and crosses (Austin) or someone to get in behind and stretch the game (Long). If one isn't working, you try the other. Gabbiadini is then only used if "current plan is working but striker is tired" or "throw caution to the wind" type scenarios.

I'd say Gabbi's a pretty one-dimensional striker. Don't get me wrong: what he does well, he does excellently. But unless we're playing the ball quickly to his feet and consistently picking out his runs off the shoulder, he doesn't offer very much.

I'd say Gabbi's a pretty one-dimensional striker. Don't get me wrong: what he does well, he does excellently. But unless we're playing the ball quickly to his feet and consistently picking out his runs off the shoulder, he doesn't offer very much.

But isn't that the way we SHOULD be playing?

Maybe, but more one-dimensional than Austin and Long? The fact that you've listed two things he does well, as well as at least being "not bad" at finishing suggests to me that he isn't!

I suppose the other two also offer some sort of aerial threat. In a way though, this is why as a group our strikers aren't too bad. With perhaps the exception of a "target man", we do have the range of areas covered that you'd want from a strikeforce. Unfortunately we need three players to do so and can't play them all at once.

Can't help but wonder if Hughes and the team know Gabbi is gone, which is why Hughes didn't play him vs Man City. If he's out the door it makes sense to play Austin and Long, since they will likely be here again next season.

Can't help but wonder if Hughes and the team know Gabbi is gone, which is why Hughes didn't play him vs Man City. If he's out the door it makes sense to play Austin and Long, since they will likely be here again next season.
As Bertrand got injured we don't know if Gabbi may have been brought on at the end or not. MH may have brought him on towards the end to get a goal if not

Maybe, but more one-dimensional than Austin and Long? The fact that you've listed two things he does well, as well as at least being "not bad" at finishing suggests to me that he isn't!

I suppose the other two also offer some sort of aerial threat. In a way though, this is why as a group our strikers aren't too bad. With perhaps the exception of a "target man", we do have the range of areas covered that you'd want from a strikeforce. Unfortunately we need three players to do so and can't play them all at once.

Trouble is we've been heaving a lot of long balls up the middle as if we did have a target man

• 2 weeks later...

Gabbiadini speaking on Italian radio...

“SOCCER, SOUTHAMPTON; GABBIADINI: I WANT TO CONTINUE TO GROW HERE

"I'm still young and I want to grow in this dimension, I feel comfortable in the Premier". Manolo Gabbiadini can still be seen with Southampton jersey. The former Napoli striker, guest of "Pezzi da 90" on the Umbrian broadcaster Radio Onda Libera, was the author of the goal-salvation in the clash against Swansea. "I have done my job and my duty, we will play in Premier again next year, and this is what we need to do." For over a year and a half in England, Gabbiadini is happy with the choice made: "I like the passion that you see in the stands with the correct behavior and the constant incitement towards your team. I miss good food and the Italian climate , but I'm there to play and I feel good ". The Saints striker is now hoping to return to wearing the blue shirt after the disappointment of the play-off world: "to finish with that match against Sweden was really bad, I am aware that the national team must pass for the club where I play and I have to do well to regain it, it's my goal Mancini ct? I do not know him personally and it's clear that his curriculum is clear.It's an excellent 'purchase' for our national team. It's clear that the field always counts and the results ".

http://sport.repubblica.it/news/sport/calcio-southampton-gabbiadini-voglio-continuare-crescere-qui/4740276?refresh_cens

Gabbis movement, positional sense and hold up play are in a different class to Austin & long!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/southampton-star-gabbiadini-likely-to-make-serie-a-return-the-si-91928

Southampton star Gabbiadini likely to make Serie A return: the situation

Southampton striker Manolo Gabbiadini has had a disappointing career at the South Coast of England, despite the promising start to life at St. Mary's. As things stand, reports have linked him with a move back to Italy and he is likely to head back to the Serie A this summer.

Corriere dello Sport have linked Fiorentina with a move for Gabbiadini and the La Viola see the former Napoli man as a prime target this summer.

Tuttosport though, have linked Lazio with a move for the Saints striker, with the club confident that they can help the player rediscover his form. Lotito enjoys a good relationship with his Southampton counterparts and he could make the deal happen.

Torino have also drawn links with the player as Mirko Valdifiori and Davide Baselli reportedly urged the Italian to join the club.

And fresh reports have also linked Parma to the striker, stating that Gabbiadini will cost 15 million euros to potential suitors this summer.

Sounds like we've made him available or his agent is certainly banding him about.

https://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/southampton-star-gabbiadini-likely-to-make-serie-a-return-the-si-91928

Sounds like we've made him available or his agent is certainly banding him about.

We probably need a striker that will suit our system more.

Gabby is a fantastic poacher and one to beat the last man but we are more of a team that goes down the byline and whips crosses in.

Would expect he's on too much money here which rules him out going back to Italy. He needs to be considerably better than he was last year to be first pick though...

Doesn't rule him out. If he is genuinely unhappy he can still go back there on reduced (but still massive) wages.

Bore off.

That's a no then is it Shylock? This is a very disappointing put down by someone with such a long and illustrious history of slagging off fellow posters. Foolish of me to think that anyone else is allowed to have a pop at other posters too. Carry on pal.

That's a no then is it Shylock? This is a very disappointing put down by someone with such a long and illustrious history of slagging off fellow posters. Foolish of me to think that anyone else is allowed to have a pop at other posters too. Carry on pal.

Antisemite.

It's always frustrating when players prove their talent then underperform, but that was the story of the last two seasons for most of the team under Puel and the clown. I'd very much like to see how Gabbi does under Hughes's training next season. When he scores, they are very important goals.

It's always frustrating when players prove their talent then underperform, but that was the story of the last two seasons for most of the team under Puel and the clown. I'd very much like to see how Gabbi does under Hughes's training next season. When he scores, they are very important goals.

Other than being thrown as a last roll of the dice against Swansea, do you think Hughes views Gabbi as a long-term starter?

Other than being thrown as a last roll of the dice against Swansea, do you think Hughes views Gabbi as a long-term starter?

Didn't Hughes start him in the first few games he was in charge, while Gabbi was pretty low on confidence?

Think he may see the potential in him and might give him another run. Really just have to wait to see how preseason plays out before we'll have much of a clue.