The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

Is it true.... that the FA has primacy over FIFA in the UK, given that the rules of football are the FA's. And that there is the reason why the WC is unlikely to come here. I think also that the money would go to the FA rather than FIFA. Or is that ballocks?

If we did bid to be a World Cup host city, I would say our main competitors would be Brighton. But their lack of airport would probably hurt them.

I think the fact that we're in the Premier League now and Les Reed has connections with the FA might see us included.

They've got one of Europe's busiest international airports on their doorstep, Gatwick is little over 20 miles straight up the M23, I'd say that's a massive advantage they'd have.

But if the opportunity came about to bid I think the powers at SFC would see it as a catalyst to upgrade the stadium tied in with the future development of the surrounding area and waterfront. You wouldn't be able to move with the amount of brown envelopes knocking around.

16 groups of 3 teams? Jesus wept.

It's a joke. One team will have to watch while the other 2 teams play the last game to decide which 2 teams go through. Jesus will indeed have a good weep if Algeria has to watch again Germany and Austria play the final game of their group, with both going through after a convenient 2-2 draw (with 4 own goals).

12 groups of 4 teams. Top 2 from each go through, along with the 8 best 3rd place finishers. Not ideal, but better than 16 groups of 3.

No one in 3rd place in a group of four should go through.

All farcical. Even Holland will qualify

So the next world cup goes to Mexico, Canada and USA. Bit of a f**k you to the fans, trying to get between Vancouver, NYC and Mexico City to watch games.

In Russia free transport is available to travel between certain venues. I wonder if that will happen in America.

I thought there was some rule about having only one venue in each city? Good shout on Murrayfield though, if the egg chasers let them borrow it.

Two venues in Moscow.

No one in 3rd place in a group of four should go through.

All farcical. Even Holland will qualify

That makes no sense. 32 teams will qualify for the knockout stage, whether it's 16 groups of 3, or 12 groups of 4. The only thing farcical is having 48 teams in the first place.

That makes no sense. 32 teams will qualify for the knockout stage, whether it's 16 groups of 3, or 12 groups of 4. The only thing farcical is having 48 teams in the first place.

I am saying 48 teams eliminating 16 is farcical whichever way you cut it.

I am saying 48 teams eliminating 16 is farcical whichever way you cut it.

The thing I hate most about it is that some teams will only get 2 games. Hardly a complete World Cup.

Honestly if they want to expand it so badly my OCD would much prefer it if they went the whole way and just expanded it to 64. It would be logistical hell and the quality would be further diluted, but id prefer it to Groups of 3.

Same with the Euros, would rather 32 than 24.

I hope they hurry up and invent airplanes.

Yeah, so if an average plane holds 200 people and there are 20,000 fans trying to get from one game to another, we will only need 100 flights in 3 days between Winnipeg and Houston to sort it out. I'm sure that will be cheap and easy to organise.

Yeah, so if an average plane holds 200 people and there are 20,000 fans trying to get from one game to another, we will only need 100 flights in 3 days between Winnipeg and Houston to sort it out. I'm sure that will be cheap and easy to organise.

It would be no different to a USA only world cup or this Russian one for that matter. This throwing the arms up in the air because the corporates don't care about the humble fan is a bit naive, that ship sailed years ago.

Indeed. That’s what the qualifying rounds are for.

48 teams ? Some of the games will be awful, mind you some of them don't look any too bright with the current 32. I mean Panama-Tunisia, that's going to be a real treat right. Midanbury-Clump at BP rec would probably be a better game.

Edited by Window Cleaner

48 teams ? Some of the games will be awful, mind you some of them don't look any too bright with the current 32. I mean Panama-Tunisia, that's going to be a real treat right. Midanbury-Clump at BP rec would probably be a better game.

Too true. If Panama -Tunisia were being played as a knock-out before the final tournament who would bother to watch it? Maybe that's the point. Los Canaleros v. The Eagles of Carthage, not to be missed.

Rafael Van Der Vaart has blamed Holland not being at the World Cup on their best players 'playing for Stoke City or Southampton, not Real Madrid or Barcelona'...

http://www.sportbuzzer.de/artikel/van-der-vaart-uber-heimatland-holland-sie-kriegen-es-uberhaupt-nicht-hin/

Who are the hopefuls?

There are huge talents. Justin Kluivert, Frenkie de Jong, Donny van de Beek. But they need time. They are good, but my generation was already in the early 20s at the big clubs and has decided their Champions League games. We miss that now. Our best players play for Southampton or Stoke City or what do I know. No Real Madrid, no FC Barcelona. This is a pity.

Hollands problems were the managers they had. Miss managed badly.

Partly. They'd also been dependant on Robben and to some extent Van Persie for years. When their performances fell off or were just not present because of endless injuries, Holland were just lost. Their style of football also became outdated.

16 people in our work sweepstake. One seeded team each, one non-seeded team.

My seeded team... Russia.

Still, goal of the tournament is one of the pots and goes to the team it's scored for. Slight outside chance with that second goal :D

16 people in our work sweepstake. One seeded team each, one non-seeded team.

My seeded team... Russia.

Still, goal of the tournament is one of the pots and goes to the team it's scored for. Slight outside chance with that second goal :D

Forth goal pretty tasty too!

FIFA probably need to change the qualifying zones so that you don't have Saudia Arabia and their ilk and not Italy, Cameroon or Chile.

Some sort of inter-regional play-offs perhaps.

They would love to, but it wouldn't support their objectives to develop football in to new markets*

*only the rich ones

If ever evidence were needed that expanding the number of teams at a WC is a bad idea this game was it. More teams like Saudi?

That's just brought back memories of the 1974 WC Finals with the likes of Haiti and Zaire both losing all games including massive defeats of 7 and 9 goals. And that free kick Zaire v Brazil, although it was said the Africans and their families were on death threats from their president if they got heavily beaten again. Luckily, and surprisingly, the Brazilians only stuck a couple past them.

2 things struck me.

Expanding the number of entrants from Asia for future world cup's looks crazy when you consider how awful one of best team's did against an average Russian side

The Russian 4th goal. Was Dyzuba offside? All the replays i've seen annoyingly just focus on the finish. Given the change in the rule(in terms of how linesmen officiate marginal offsides) i was interested.

Just shows how much a farce the World Cup will be with more “lesser” nations, Russia are terrible and also their best player went off injured. As most of the Russian media have said “worst Russian side in years” and they thrashed Saudi Arabia, god knows what U R Gay will do to them. #mess-ism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 things struck me.

Expanding the number of entrants from Asia for future world cup's looks crazy when you consider how awful one of best team's did against an average Russian side

The Russian 4th goal. Was Dyzuba offside? All the replays i've seen annoyingly just focus on the finish. Given the change in the rule(in terms of how linesmen officiate marginal offsides) i was interested.

Just for you I’ve recovered the recording and looked again. In the camera view across the pitch there is another Saudi player right behind Dyzuba who is almost totally hidden by him. I would describe it as ‘level’ even though there’s not really such a thing.

One of the difficulties in determining which are the best sides that should go to the world cup, particularly relevant for Asia, is that you can be successful on the back of having strong home form, but that doesn't mean you are the best equipped side to travel the world cup. The Saudi side, who everyone knew were a bit ****, had a strong home record and to be honest it is a genuinely difficult place to travel to. Often involving particularly long flights for the away side and most of the Saudi team plays within their own country, so they are incredibly used to their own conditions and it is an intimidating place for an away side. Their own away form was more of a true reflection on them, they lost away to the bloody UAE in the group stage so it was inevitable they would travel poorly. They just have no experience of playing in front of intimidating away crowds and all the players have one way of playing, so can not adapt to different styles as shown last night. Asia would be far stronger if it was set up similar to Africa where only the top team in a group of 4 qualifies, which would force a stronger away record. Though they bottled it for this tournament with a poor campaign, a side like Uzbekistan (yes really!) would have been far more equipped to go to a World Cup. Hopefully Korea and Japan showcase that Asia is worthy of a few places at the World Cup, because there is certainly decent talent