The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

Feel a bit sorry for the likes of Peru and Costa Rica, they do it all right…but lack that superstar player, someone to play that final pass or finish that final chance. Their general play is quality and often better than their opponents, but you will always run the risk of a sucker punch....

So credit to Peru and Costa Rica at this world cup, they've approached it the right way but have just lacked the quality.

I hope our useless referees were sat at home watching that. Man enough to admit a mistake, even against a top nation , and then his management of CR time wasting brilliant. He's not to know whether the keeper & the other 2 were really injured, so just calmly let them recover, then added the correct amount of time on. What frustrates people and encourages time wasting is not enough gets added on most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feel a bit sorry for the likes of Peru and Costa Rica, they do it all right…but lack that superstar player, someone to play that final pass or finish that final chance. Their general play is quality and often better than their opponents, but you will always run the risk of a sucker punch....

So credit to Peru and Costa Rica at this world cup, they've approached it the right way but have just lacked the quality.

Include Morocco in that as well

I hope our useless referees were sat at home watching that. Man enough to admit a mistake, even against a top nation , and then his management of CR time wasting brilliant. He's not to know whether the keeper & the other 2 were really injured, so just calmly let them recover, then added the correct amount of time on. What frustrates people and encourages time wasting is not enough gets added on most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

totally agree. I just could not imagine Mike Dean of John Moss going to the sidelines at the end of a tight game with us away at Anfield reversing a penalty decision he gave them

Let alone add time lost by acting in injury time

totally agree. I just could not imagine Mike Dean of John Moss going to the sidelines at the end of a tight game with us away at Anfield reversing a penalty decision he gave them

And that is why English referees are playing pundits at this world cup, rather than being chosen to referee matches.

Can't think of a better use of VAR. Big team gets a soft decision; ref big enough to admit error and overturn it with the aid of VAR.

Agree, so far it has been a resounding success IMO.

How many of them have we seen given in the Premier League, especially at the big grounds.

No chance why England can’t have a really strong tournament here. The standard is pretty weak all round. I think a potential semi final (and complete national bedlam) is on the cards.

No chance why England can’t have a really strong tournament here. The standard is pretty weak all round. I think a potential semi final (and complete national bedlam) is on the cards.

Imagne the carnage of a final , Business will have to totally shut down the day after!

Edited by simo

Tadic assist, decent player that lad.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

I was just about to say it will be interesting to see how Tadic and Shaqiri match up today what with the various rumours.

Also why the hell did Saints not take a punt on Mitrovic rather than Carillo? He links with Tadic superbly and funnily enough has a similar style to Graziano Pelle.

Think we’ve been linked with Schär in the past, the way he dealt with Mitrovic for the goal suggests he’s not the dominant centre back we need :-p

Wonder if Shaqiri would have got back and made that defensive header just then...?

Edited by mrfahaji

Maybe FIFA have sussed that, and that is why no English ref is in Russia.

Pierluigi Collina is a pretty canny lad

Imagnet the carnage of a final , Business will have to totally shut down the day after!

If England ever win a major tournament it would be an unofficial National Holiday. Not sure the government could sort it quickly enough to make it an official bank holiday. But it would be full on mental. Can’t honestly see it happening this time round but in two years time I genuinely think we will have a fantastic squad

Tadic is having a blinder so far. Playing with confidence and freedom. Really hope we aren’t selling him

Re VAR: to think what could have been in the League Cup final. ****!

Just think if we had it at Watford Pellegrino might still be with us

If the League Cup mistake had have been rectified at the time none of us would ever have had reason to hear the name Pelligrino.

And that would be just as good as winning the cup in hindsight.

How can var officials miss that? Bizarre and not good enough

I think the problem is that sometimes play has restarted too quickly. If they had the opportunity to look at that then surely they would give a pen. But because the ref didn't see anything noteworthy the match was back under way within seconds.

Can anyone tell me if the England game tomorrow be available to watch through the BBC website?

I need to know 100% for sure, before I commit to watching it somewhere with on internet, but no TV access.

If it's on BBC then yes you can watch it through iPlayer.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Does on the line mean goal? Or throw in? Maybe if half his foot was in and half on the line, but half his foot out and half on the line should be outside for me.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

The line forms part of the penalty area. If the keeper handles the ball on the line, it’s not handball but if a foul is committed on the line, it’s a pen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk