The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

Likely Hojberg, Cedric, Tadic and Yoshida, with Bednarek a possibility too. I'm not sure about Boufal (if he even really counts).

In 2014 we had three overseas internationals playing at the World Cup - Yoshida, Gaston and Lovren. Plus Shaw, Lambert and Lallana.

Overall not a huge difference.

Also, I would imagine that many on here will be wanting us to be signing some decent players this summer - unless they are all Italian, Dutch or American we struggle to find many outside of the 32 nations playing in Russia.

Højbjerg was in the preliminary squad of 35, but was in the group of 8 players that were left out of the squad this morning - not unexpected as he made himself unpopular with the national team coach for being too wilful and not enough a team player. He will be part of the team after the WC if he continues his fine form. He is by far the most controversial omission in the Danish squad and most fans see him play a part in the future.

It astounds me the amount of people that don't support England or claim to not be bothered about the national side because they don't agree with the selection, or because the team are sh*t.

You shouldn't have a choice. Most of you support Saints because they're your local team or you have a connection to support them. Same for your country. If you don't support them because they're not great then by the same reasoning you shouldn't be supporting Saints.

Get behind your country regardless.

It astounds me the amount of people that don't support England or claim to not be bothered about the national side because they don't agree with the selection, or because the team are sh*t.

You shouldn't have a choice. Most of you support Saints because they're your local team or you have a connection to support them. Same for your country. If you don't support them because they're not great then by the same reasoning you shouldn't be supporting Saints.

Yeah but it is so fcking depressing. We know what to expect so enthusiasm wanes.

Looks better now I've realised Nivea Man has missed out and is probably sobbing at home..

Forget the squad. Your biggest challenge this tournament is to stop your son logging onto your lap top posting on here pretending you be you when you nip to the kitchen for another multi pack of monster munch sunshine.

Yeah but it is so fcking depressing. We know what to expect so enthusiasm wanes.

It’s got better. I really struggled to follow England when it contained the likes of Terry, Ferdinand, lampard, Cole etc many of which admitted later on that they let other factors influence their performances for England, it’s almost like it wasn’t obvious. But I do agree with Griffo that it’s odd anyone who isn’t bothered by the World Cup. I can only ever remember one occasion when I’ve not been bothered by an England loss, that was when Italy knocked us out on penalties a few years back. We’d some how managed to keep the score to 0-0 despite them absolutely murdering us, we were so outclassed it would have been embarrassing to win on pens.

I like gareth Southgate a lot, see him a lot in my local gym. He’s a great guy and deserves some success. He’s at least made up play a more modern game unlike the Hodgson inspire dross before him. The players now seem to care for England as well. I’d take saints winning anything over England any day but still find it wierd any football fan who says they don’t care, friendlies perhaps but the big tournaments, seriously?

People have become apathetic due to years of underachieving but go back to Italia 90 and Euro 96, there was an amazing buzz around the country with England going on a decent run. I’d love to see something like that happen again.

It doesn’t surprise me. It almost seems cool and hip to hate England (not just in terms of football either... but that’s another argument).

I love watching England, especially in tournaments. That being said, if I didn’t go to games and just watched on TV it I do appreciate it can be pretty boring.

It doesn’t surprise me. It almost seems cool and hip to hate England (not just in terms of football either... but that’s another argument).

I love watching England, especially in tournaments. That being said, if I didn’t go to games and just watched on TV it I do appreciate it can be pretty boring.

You love watching England? It is largely dross and the qualifiers and friendlies are all meaningless borefests with the occasional exception, Yeah every two years there is some hope but that is only cos we never learn. I still have some hope but based on fck all like I mostly think Saints will win nearly every home game.

People have become apathetic due to years of underachieving but go back to Italia 90 and Euro 96, there was an amazing buzz around the country with England going on a decent run. I’d love to see something like that happen again.

It will come flooding back if we show any signs of progressing.

Yeah Qualifying for every tournament is so depressing!

Yeah when every ****y little country enters. Heroic what England achieve. Such excitement scraping 1-nils against Malta and Estonia and then do the only rival like Switzerland 2-0 at Wembley. Oh the hard ons

I'll support England, but I'm much more passionate about Saints.

What I find really weird are people in England (English people obviously) who support other countries. I know a couple of people who for some bizarre reason support Italy, I just don't get it at all. I've lived in foreign countries and wouldn't dream of supporting any other country than England!

Yeah when every ****y little country enters. Heroic what England achieve. Such excitement scraping 1-nils against Malta and Estonia and then do the only rival like Switzerland 2-0 at Wembley. Oh the hard ons

Growing up supporting saints and a smaller country means a greater appreciation of wins and qualifications because the state of affairs often is far less rosy.

I couldn't give a fck about England. I watch with fascination more than anything, have opinions as a premier league fan, and don't think they're crap. They're an average to decent national side and it's cup football, so you don't have to be the best to win.

Some people, like me, just don't understand nationalism. I love the world cup for seeing loads of football, new players i haven't seen before and having grown up watching world cups.

Also think England suffers for the strength of club football. What other country has 4+ divisions of club support like that? League 2 clubs fans support their club as much as we do ours. I think that brings a lot of dislike for other teams, players, managers in the country.

I love my football and used to be very patriotic but as years gone by it's somewhat been driven out of me and now England as a team is a bit meh, however as above I love the world cup and would happily watch every game just to watch unheard of players etc, in fact one of my favourite world cups was usa94, a place it probably shouldn't of worked and at times was comical but seeing the likes of excellent Romanian and Bulgarian teams and players like Hagi and Stoichkov was so refreshing

I couldn't give a fck about England. I watch with fascination more than anything, have opinions as a premier league fan, and don't think they're crap. They're an average to decent national side and it's cup football, so you don't have to be the best to win.

Some people, like me, just don't understand nationalism. I love the world cup for seeing loads of football, new players i haven't seen before and having grown up watching world cups.

Also think England suffers for the strength of club football. What other country has 4+ divisions of club support like that? League 2 clubs fans support their club as much as we do ours. I think that brings a lot of dislike for other teams, players, managers in the country.

Most of the ‘hardcore’ England fans are supporters of smaller clubs who don’t get European football. For example I’ve noticed that Pompey, Stoke and Huddersfeild always seem take a few wherever we’re playing. I’d say over the last year I’ve started to notice more and more saints

England have ground any passion out of me, they regularly stink out tournaments and never seem to want to really go for it. They bore everyone to death most of the time. I'm not being 'cool', it's a view garnered over 30 years watching them.

MLT was far too exciting for those boring sods and was discarded despite being one of the most talented players England have ever had at their disposal.

In my heart I still support them and could get enthused pretty quickly but I could count on my fingers the amount of times they have genuinely got my pulse racing over the last 30 years,

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the minnows go for it, there's going to be some great games in there and chances are most of them will feature the 'lesser' sides. I love how the Iceland's of this world show so much fight and passion, England take note you dullards.

The problem in the past was that English players were routinely labeled as less technically gifted or lacking in guile. To an extent we do seem to mistrust players who don't work hard off the ball - see Arsenal fans and Ozil. But compared to previous decades, we now have some incredibly talented kids coming through winning or challenging for trophies. This does give me some hope for the future.

I do struggle to watch England games, they can be dull. But with the exception of the glamour friendlies against Brazil, Germany, Spain etc most of the teams we play sit 9 or 10 behind the ball, stay compact and try not to get hammered. Rather than lump it forward to a big man or fire in hundreds of crosses, we try to pass it round them and play football. Maybe not the most exciting but it is probably the right way to do it.

I still get passionate about England, but it does tend to be only the crunch qualifiers or the tournaments. Another factor that might account for the lack of enthusiasm is the sheer amount of televised football. 30 years ago, leading into Italia 90 (even Euro 96' unless you had SkySports) International football was the main televised football around. But the lack of any success (Semi finals as a minimum) does appear to have led to a whole generation of fans feeling disillusioned with the National team.

It’s got better. I really struggled to follow England when it contained the likes of Terry, Ferdinand, lampard, Cole etc many of which admitted later on that they let other factors influence their performances for England, it’s almost like it wasn’t obvious. But I do agree with Griffo that it’s odd anyone who isn’t bothered by the World Cup. I can only ever remember one occasion when I’ve not been bothered by an England loss, that was when Italy knocked us out on penalties a few years back. We’d some how managed to keep the score to 0-0 despite them absolutely murdering us, we were so outclassed it would have been embarrassing to win on pens.

I like gareth Southgate a lot, see him a lot in my local gym. He’s a great guy and deserves some success. He’s at least made up play a more modern game unlike the Hodgson inspire dross before him. The players now seem to care for England as well. I’d take saints winning anything over England any day but still find it wierd any football fan who says they don’t care, friendlies perhaps but the big tournaments, seriously?

You should have tried being in the ****ing ground for it! I’ll never forget Pirlo strolling around the pitch destroying our CM and Hodgson sat there watching like the buffoon he was at international level. Saying that, Kiev was a brilliant city and only made the recent moaning from Liverpool fans even more pathetic.

Those euros were great minus the football.

I'll support England, but I'm much more passionate about Saints.

What I find really weird are people in England (English people obviously) who support other countries. I know a couple of people who for some bizarre reason support Italy, I just don't get it at all. I've lived in foreign countries and wouldn't dream of supporting any other country than England!

Perhaps they feel more affinity with another certain country's culture, people, way of life, the certain players who play for that side, the way the team plays? Don't understand this whole "I emerged from my mother's vagina on this certain piece of land so therefore all other pieces of land can f*ck right off" or something similar, with perhaps less vitriol.

National pride is a really odd thing and something that only causes trouble. Be proud to be a human and living on this earth. Stop worrying about what it says on your f**king passport. Oh and stop worrying about the colour of it too.

#brexitmeansbrexit

Is there really no one else we could've picked for the squad other than Welbeck? For the fourth striker, you might as well gamble on someone who at least has a chance of bringing the unknown/changing the game.

Indeed. Crouch or Carroll would be more use as an option off the bench.

Højbjerg was in the preliminary squad of 35, but was in the group of 8 players that were left out of the squad this morning - not unexpected as he made himself unpopular with the national team coach for being too wilful and not enough a team player. He will be part of the team after the WC if he continues his fine form. He is by far the most controversial omission in the Danish squad and most fans see him play a part in the future.

do what? I'm still waiting for him to manage two good games in a row a for saints..

Edited by doddisalegend

Perhaps they feel more affinity with another certain country's culture, people, way of life, the certain players who play for that side, the way the team plays? Don't understand this whole "I emerged from my mother's vagina on this certain piece of land so therefore all other pieces of land can f*ck right off" or something similar, with perhaps less vitriol.

National pride is a really odd thing and something that only causes trouble. Be proud to be a human and living on this earth. Stop worrying about what it says on your f**king passport. Oh and stop worrying about the colour of it too.

#brexitmeansbrexit

What a load of pompous, patronising utter Tosh!

#brexitmeansbrexit

Why shouldn't people be proud of where they were born? Why have pride in anything, why have pride in local cities, local football teams? What do you propose, let's all compete as one world team, yeh?

Why on earth you've mentioned Brexit is beyond me. I'm against Brexit completely but that doesn't stop me being proud of my country, or the football team.

My World Cup guesses:

To win - France or Brazil. You can't look past Brazil but France have some serious talent in it. Argentina could be in with a shout if Messi shows up and Aguero stays fit but they seem disorganised so I'm ruling them out.

To do worse than expected - Germany IMO will be the big ones (big call that), Belgium under Martinez, Portugal.

To surprise people - Uruguay can't be written off with Suarez, Cavani and Godin in their team, Senegal have Mane (nuff said), and England will win one (at least) knockout game after qualifying from the group.

What are your predictions? (Bored Sunday at work...)

My World Cup guesses:

To win - France or Brazil. You can't look past Brazil but France have some serious talent in it. Argentina could be in with a shout if Messi shows up and Aguero stays fit but they seem disorganised so I'm ruling them out.

To do worse than expected - Germany IMO will be the big ones (big call that), Belgium under Martinez, Portugal.

To surprise people - Uruguay can't be written off with Suarez, Cavani and Godin in their team, Senegal have Mane (nuff said), and England will win one (at least) knockout game after qualifying from the group.

What are your predictions? (Bored Sunday at work...)

Argentina's team is too unbalanced. They only just managed to qualify, could see them being one of the surprises to get knocked out of the group stages.

France or Germany my prediction to win. England will get knocked out by Germany.

Inerrrland to get to semi's, and maybe final's is my prediction. Had a dream about England v Germany final, with us (England) losing in extra time or pens - who knows?? Might place a small bet on finalists. And yes, I've send had my meds :-)

I reckon Mexico has some potential this year.

With world cups and stuff however team chemistry for me is more important than the individual players- ie. the whole is better than the sum of its parts.

Hence why I think Spain will be there abouts again- best defence in tournament for me.

Why shouldn't people be proud of where they were born? Why have pride in anything, why have pride in local cities, local football teams? What do you propose, let's all compete as one world team, yeh?

Why on earth you've mentioned Brexit is beyond me. I'm against Brexit completely but that doesn't stop me being proud of my country, or the football team.

Lots of people have breakdowns in the summer. Try to be tolerant.

Inerrrland to get to semi's, and maybe final's is my prediction. Had a dream about England v Germany final, with us (England) losing in extra time or pens - who knows?? Might place a small bet on finalists. And yes, I've send had my meds :-)

Don’t think it’s poasible for us to play Germany in the semis!

Need a left footed player at left wing back, Young keeps turning inside to his right foot.

I know, he did it _every_ time. If I can manage to cross with both feet in the second bottom tier of women's football surely a top professional should be able to manage?