The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

I still do not understand the foul awarded to the Tunisians for the penalty. The ball is being crossed in, neither player in the box has control of the ball, the defender is penalized for holding his ground. How is it Walkers fault that the guy tried to push him and fell over because he was weaker? If this was a foul, then every time a player is sheepherding a ball out that the other team touched last, the player trying to get the ball should just fall over and win a free kick. Can someone explain the specific offence here I don't get it.

I still do not understand the foul awarded to the Tunisians for the penalty. The ball is being crossed in, neither player in the box has control of the ball, the defender is penalized for holding his ground. How is it Walkers fault that the guy tried to push him and fell over because he was weaker? If this was a foul, then every time a player is sheepherding a ball out that the other team touched last, the player trying to get the ball should just fall over and win a free kick. Can someone explain the specific offence here I don't get it.

He raised his arm

Not good there from Bednarek

Can't help but feel a more experienced centre back would have ignored the lunatic running out of the goal at him and dealt with it, but I think the whole debacle was caused by Szczesny, even if Bednarek was also at fault.

He raised his arm

He swung his arm back deliberately, the Tunisian made the most of it, but his elbow could have done a bit of damage - penalty imo.

Quite ridiculous how much attention Salah was getting from all the commentators. Pearce virtually celebrated when Egypt were given a penalty. Then he announced that "this is what [the Egypt fans] have been waiting to see" - no Jonathan, they would much rather see their team win, I'm sure. You'd think that they'd brought Bobby Moore back from the dead and he was playing for Egypt the way they were gushing.

Just seen the BBC user player rater has Salah as the best Egyptian and only behind two Russians. Ha! Looks like the rest of the population have been taken in by it too. Maybe if they had someone prepared to track back and run around they might not have lost. But I forget, this is a Liverpool hero we're talking about here, so nothing but praise and sympathy please.

Quite ridiculous how much attention Salah was getting from all the commentators. Pearce virtually celebrated when Egypt were given a penalty. Then he announced that "this is what [the Egypt fans] have been waiting to see" - no Jonathan, they would much rather see their team win, I'm sure. You'd think that they'd brought Bobby Moore back from the dead and he was playing for Egypt the way they were gushing.

Just seen the BBC user player rater has Salah as the best Egyptian and only behind two Russians. Ha! Looks like the rest of the population have been taken in by it too. Maybe if they had someone prepared to track back and run around they might not have lost. But I forget, this is a Liverpool hero we're talking about here, so nothing but praise and sympathy please.

If I had Salah in my team I’d let him do his thing and get the others to do the tracking back. Le Tissier comes to mind.

Salah is one of the very best in the world at what he is paid to do - scoring goals. He is exceptionally skilled at that. Trying to turn him into a defensive player too isn’t going to help the team.

He was player of the year, scored more in a single Prem season than any other player, and he plays for a prominent English club.

And he's the clear stand-out player for his country.

And there's the story of his injury and him missing the first game, and now he's back, a story English fans can relate to from competitions past.

And it's Egypt vs Russia for effs sake so probably a good idea to give it some angle for the passing viewer because it ain't the golden ticket match.

32 goals in a season and you want him to track back? Hahahahahahaha. Lazy old Mohammed. Not like that goal machine Bobby Moore. He absolutely banged them in didn't he? We would have won world cup 70 if he'd actually put a shift in and scored 5 or 6.

He was player of the year, scored more in a single Prem season than any other player, and he plays for a prominent English club.

And he's the clear stand-out player for his country.

And there's the story of his injury and him missing the first game, and now he's back, a story English fans can relate to from competitions past.

And it's Egypt vs Russia for effs sake so probably a good idea to give it some angle for the passing viewer because it ain't the golden ticket match.

32 goals in a season and you want him to track back? Hahahahahahaha. Lazy old Mohammed. Not like that goal machine Bobby Moore. He absolutely banged them in didn't he? We would have won world cup 70 if he'd actually put a shift in and scored 5 or 6.

That clearly wasn't the point I was making. My comment about Bobby Moore was about how the commentators were falling over themselves to talk about him over anything else that happened in the match. I wouldn't criticise a tactical decision for him not to track back, of course, but the way the commentators were talking made it sound it was only because he was still injured and therefore it was totally fair enough for him not to run around. Again, that's as much a criticism of the commentary.

Your other points are fair argument, perhaps my dislike of Liverpool made me notice it more and found it more grating than the average person might. But I find it strange that you felt the need to link my Bobby Moore comment to Salah's goalscoring prowess as they were unrelated points. Even in different paragraphs...!

If I had Salah in my team I’d let him do his thing and get the others to do the tracking back. Le Tissier comes to mind.

Salah is one of the very best in the world at what he is paid to do - scoring goals. He is exceptionally skilled at that. Trying to turn him into a defensive player too isn’t going to help the team.

Fair enough, I accept I didn't make my point very well. I wasn't actually advocating turning Salah into a defensive player, more that the commentators seemed hell bent on excusing him from running around because he was carrying an injury. So really my point was (or should have been) more that having a fully fit player might have been better for Egypt, but there was obviously no-one questioning that during the game.

You will get a chance to test your theory on Friday when Brazil play Costa Rica. Neymar is struggling with an injury according to reports.

I don't think even a fully fit and firing Salah would have helped last night, Egypt were dreadful. Difficult to assess Russia's performances based on how bad the other two teams have been. A similar performance v Uruguay would certainly get people talking. Although having to beat Portugal and or Spain in the last 16 is pretty unlikely.