The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

Then why did he not make it straight away?

The VAR suggests the ref looks at the incident and the ref then decides whether he’d have given it had he got a clear view. The VAR doesn’t say “that’s a pen”, it’s entirely down to the ref.

Where the ref was wrong imo, was that he booked him. It doesn’t have to be deliberate to be a pen, but it does need to be for a booking to follow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Midfield won the day there. One team played with a midfield, the other team didn't.

That was a true mess by Argentina. It doesn't matter if you have Messi and co, if you have no one to supply them then you're a bit screwed. Must be so frustrating for Messi.....

Credit to croatia though, give their midfielders time and space and they will pick you off in time - which is what they did.

Who does Rakitic play for ?

Would love to see him in the ‘ole red and white stripes

How can someone who likes football not know who Rakitic plays for? I mean, seriously.

He's one of the best midfielders in the world playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world. Utterly nuts.

How can someone who likes football not know who Rakitic plays for? I mean, seriously.

He's one of the best midfielders in the world playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world. Utterly nuts.

He knows, he's just saying it for attention. Even if he didn't it's a 5 second Google away.

An odd chap by all accounts.

Russia’s improved performances in this World Cup are raising a few red flags for some journalists...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/06/21/fifa-refuse-reveal-russia-drug-test-numbers-following-hostss/

Interesting, and let's face it, they have got form. I don't understand why FIFA don't give out the information required (unless of course they have something to hide), even if they generalized the information at least people could see that Russia were being scrutinized exactly the same as all other teams in the competition.

Ah the conspiracy theories are beginning. Firstly Russia have played two of the weakest teams in the competition. Secondly, due to the stupidity of the FIFA rankings because Russia haven't played any competitive football over the past two years their ranking is artificially low. Finally, don't underestimate the effect that playing at home can do for a teams confidence. I expect that they will lose to a savvy Uruguay side and then lose to either Portugal or Spain in the second round.

Iceland could effectively knock out the Argies today, while ze Germans have to beat Sweden tomorrow. French were unconvincing again and I am not convinced that Deschamps knows his best team - also think that there is a mental fragility. Belgium have looked most convincing of the big sides, with Spain and England not too far behind.

Bloody hell the Argies aren’t what they were although after the mistake for the first goal they need to check the keeper wasn’t concussed by Lovren....

Any keepers out there? What would you have done? His lob straight to the forward was atrocious but for me the even bigger mistake was as soon as he saw what he'd done he went backwards. Surely a better option was immediately charge at Rebic spreading arms and legs as wide as possible and screaming his head off, anything to put him off. It was such a slow up and down lob chances are he'd have been on him before he volleyed it, certainly close enough to distract him.

Having said that, it was a very enjoyable moment :D

Ah the conspiracy theories are beginning. Firstly Russia have played two of the weakest teams in the competition. Secondly, due to the stupidity of the FIFA rankings because Russia haven't played any competitive football over the past two years their ranking is artificially low. Finally, don't underestimate the effect that playing at home can do for a teams confidence. I expect that they will lose to a savvy Uruguay side and then lose to either Portugal or Spain in the second round.

Iceland could effectively knock out the Argies today, while ze Germans have to beat Sweden tomorrow. French were unconvincing again and I am not convinced that Deschamps knows his best team - also think that there is a mental fragility. Belgium have looked most convincing of the big sides, with Spain and England not too far behind.

And its not as if they don't have a sprinkling of decent players. Good keeper, Golovin very highly rated, and Cheryshev has a good pedigree in Spanish football. So far all I see is that they've taken their chances and finished well against a couple of the worst teams in the tournament, as hosts often seem to do.

Risk of getting carried away but no one so far should scare us. Costa Rica should’ve just gone one up against Brazil.

There aren't any standout teams really. The two I've been most impressed by as of now are Mexico and Croatia.

I do get the feeling France will start to slowly warm into it though, and they already have 2 wins whilst not playing amazingly.

There aren't any standout teams really. The two I've been most impressed by as of now are Mexico and Croatia.

I do get the feeling France will start to slowly warm into it though, and they already have 2 wins whilst not playing amazingly.

Yeah Croatia looked good but a line through the form shows that Argentina are terrible at mo.

You just can see likes of Spain and France getting in their stride but it is quite obvious that England are going to win it[emoji3]

When the **** are these commentators going to learn the rules on VAR? ****ing plum stating that one day someone is going to be ruled off side, everyone will stop , he’ll roll it into net and then VAR will overrule the offside and award a goal . FFS, if the ref blows for offside and everyone stops, its a free kick , end of, You can’t go to VAR. If the linesman flags but the ref doesn’t blow, you play to the whistle, exactly as you do without VAR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk