The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

For those of you who aren't into cricket and F1, we will at least have 3 England games to keep us amused. The opening game is a month today, during which the Russian fans will no doubt kick the living sh*te out of any Saudi Muslims who dare to attend.

Saints players likely to appear:

Tadic - Serbia play Costa Rica, Switzerland and Brazil

Bertrand - England play Tunisia, Panama and Belgium

Don't forget to add some ludicrous HCDAJFU about players who will eventually sign for Barcelona for £60m.

Saints players likely to appear:

Tadic - Serbia play Costa Rica, Switzerland and Brazil

Bertrand - England play Tunisia, Panama and Belgium

Yoshida & Cedric will definitely go unless injured. Boufal possibly will, plus...

Hojbjerg

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-05-14/pierre-emile-hojbjerg-denmark-world-cup-preliminary-squad-russia-2018

Bednarek

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-05-11/jan-bednarek-poland-provisional-world-cup-squad

Well up for the world cup this year, suspect England will screw up the groups but I always enjoy tournaments more once we've gone out anyway! The final is the day after my wedding so we're having loads of people round for the final before we head off on honeymoon :smug:

I reckon France have the best shot at winning the thing.

Who are your two left backs then?

I would take him but bearing in mind that Man City and Man Utd have had English left backs for most of the season and Rose is fit and plays for Spurs.... if we're taking two left backs he would need to get picked ahead of two of Young, Delph and Rose.

"Big club" innit.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't go.

Would be gutted for Bertie, he's been the best English LB in the league again (Rose was pretty naff for most of those 10 games he played), can't see him sticking with us next season if he's losing his England place.

It's a shame Kenya haven't qualified because you are definitely from Kenya and would loved to have seen Kenya playing.

Kenya haven't won the World Cup ever.

Got a funny feeling we will pinch this one*

*cheeky insurance bet placed just in case

COYK

I used to be a regular at England games home and away but now get more enjoyment laughing at their defeats , constant bias towards poorly performing big club players, I think final straw for me was having 3 called up for 2014 world cup only for them all to leave before the tournament began.

Not a fan of Southgate , he belonged with the u21s.

I'll probably enjoy watching non-England games more, hopefully see a few upsets. Will like to see Iceland do well again and will follow the fortunes of saints players represented , especially Yoshida.

Wonder if Saints are sending a few scouts over?

To be fair Bertrand has been poor this season, coupled with the big club bias , I am not surprised if he has been left out.

He played most of the qualification games , if he's not in the squad I hope we lose every game !

Forgetting the actual squad, what would people's 23 look like?

Mine would be:

Butland

Pickford

The Burnley one

Walker

Trippier

Bertrand

Young

Stones

Maguire

Smalling

Dier

Henderson

Shelvey

Cork

The Ox

Alli

Sterling

Lingard

Lallana

Kane

Vardy

Rashford

Carroll / Crouch

Probably forgotten someone. Is Crouch retired? Is Carroll fit? Anyway, the point is, I can't see the point in taking 4 similar strikers and I would take a big bugger in case we need to get it in the mixer late on.

Forgetting the actual squad, what would people's 23 look like?

Mine would be:

Butland

Pickford

The Burnley one

Walker

Trippier

Bertrand

Young

Stones

Maguire

Smalling

Dier

Henderson

Shelvey

Cork

The Ox

Alli

Sterling

Lingard

Lallana

Kane

Vardy

Rashford

Carroll / Crouch

Probably forgotten someone. Is Crouch retired? Is Carroll fit? Anyway, the point is, I can't see the point in taking 4 similar strikers and I would take a big bugger in case we need to get it in the mixer late on.

Very similar to what I would have, bar Chamberlain (injured which is a shame) and taking four strikers (likely to be one striker formation, so four is over kill IMO).

GK: Pickford, Butland, Hart

Defenders: Trippier, Walker; Young, Bertrand; Stones, Maguire, Tarkowski, Cahill.

DMs: Dier, Henderson, Cork, Delph, Loftus Cheek.

AMs: Alli, Sterling, Lingard, Lallana,

Forwards: Kane Vardy Rashford

Very similar to what I would have, bar Chamberlain (injured which is a shame) and taking four strikers (likely to be one striker formation, so four is over kill IMO).

GK: Pickford, Butland, Hart

Defenders: Trippier, Walker; Young, Bertrand; Stones, Maguire, Tarkowski, Cahill.

DMs: Dier, Henderson, Cork, Delph, Loftus Cheek.

AMs: Alli, Sterling, Lingard, Lallana,

Forwards: Kane Vardy Rashford

Forgot Ox was injured.

I agree there is no point taking a Welbeck or Walcott as a 4th striker but I think there's space for a "hail Mary" option.

GK: Pickford; Pope; McCarthy (I know it isn't going to happen - he will take Butland)

Defenders: Bertrand, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Cahill, Tarkowski, Young (but I would prefer Sessengnon)

Midfielders: Lallana, Loftus-Cheek, Henderson, Dier, Alli, Sterling, Lingard, Delph, Shelvey

Strikers: Kane, Vardy, Rashford, Solanki

I do think Southgate will bring in one of the wildcard young players and I would also expect him to play them. I would have Sancho (currently at Dortmund) in ahead of Delph but I understand that the latter brings a bit of flexibility.

Despite my hatred of FIFA, I absolutely love the World Cup. They form my earliest memories of football. Also having the ability to watch football on Terrestrial TV at prime time nearly every night for an entire month is just heaven. I have now got a stage where I quite enjoy the over hyping of England's chances only to be left deflated. We aren't going to win it this time (although I do think we are very very well placed for the next 3 or 4 tournaments), Quarter Finals will be an achievement, anything more will send the country in to meltdown.

I have often wondered what would happen if we did win it (or the Euro's) one day. Pretty sure the next day would be a total right off, National Holiday as no-one would be in any fit state to work, while the Scottish and Welsh would either commit mass suicide or go into hiding. It's nice to dream!

Last post of the day...

Danny F*CKING Welbeck?! Everyone else I can understand - obviously gutted for Bertrand, but I would imagine he is on the standby list.

Very little creativity in the midfield too. Looks like we are going to rely on pace and counter attacking football (which is fine by me, but I am not sure we are strong enough defensively). I think we will get out of the group and may surprise a big team if they aren't 100% - but Quarter Finals are going to be a real success.