The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

any one else thinking that if England had got to the final that we could have won that? France had a short good spell in the 2nd half (imo) but looked pretty desperate at other times

Nope. France have another gear in them when they need to step things up.

any one else thinking that if England had got to the final that we could have won that? France had a short good spell in the 2nd half (imo) but looked pretty desperate at other times

No, France would have beaten us easily. The better team won today, they had too much for the "best defence" in world football. Funny that.

France clinical and always had another gear.

Croatia played well but I think having one of the best defenders in the world couldn't stop the french tide.

I predicted 4-2 in Paris on Fri and will be in Paris tomorrow to collect my winnings

This was a world cup where reputations counted for nothing, you got what you deserved.

I think this was the world cup of better teams winning over more talented (name recognition) ones.

Qatar is going to completely f*ck every perception up

The better team lost....robbed. The ref got the 2 big decisions totally wrong. A South American team would still be protesting now.

It was a clear handball that prevented the ball from going across goal. Also the Croatian first goal came from a free kick from a non-existent foul. On top of that Kante then got a totally unjustified yellow, which restricted him from then on (and led to him being substituted). Croatia's other goal was a gift. France are worthy champions.

It was a clear handball that prevented the ball from going across goal. Also the Croatian first goal came from a free kick from a non-existent foul. On top of that Kante then got a totally unjustified yellow, which restricted him from then on (and led to him being substituted). Croatia's other goal was a gift. France are worthy champions.

That's why I would've given it as well, if he doesn't handle it it's going across the face of goal less than 6 yard out. Whether that's right by the rules I don't know, but I thought it was a pen.

Blatant penalty. Arm up in the air and was used to control the ball.

It wasn’t blatant but I can see why it was given. It’s an area that is always going to be open to interpretation wether there is VAR or not. It was rightly referred to VAR because ref obviously did not see the contact with the arm, wether it was deliberate or not is the ref’s opinion so Shearer and co’s hysteria is just nonsense.

That's why I would've given it as well, if he doesn't handle it it's going across the face of goal less than 6 yard out. Whether that's right by the rules I don't know, but I thought it was a pen.

He moved his hand to the ball. Very instinctive and last second but he did and it stopped the ball going into a more dangerous area. Correct decision.

It wasn’t blatant but I can see why it was given. It’s an area that is always going to be open to interpretation wether there is VAR or not. It was rightly referred to VAR because ref obviously did not see the contact with the arm, wether it was deliberate or not is the ref’s opinion so Shearer and co’s hysteria is just nonsense.

What did you expect if you chose the over hyped delusional panel on the BBC.... They really were awful ...

Can’t stand the adverts on ITV but still chose the far more knowledgeable considered coverage of ITV...

Him and Southgate together might actually be decent. Clearly Southgate is good at organisation, man management, motivation etc. Hoddle seems pretty clueless at that stuff but, apparently according to people who work in football, he's clever tactically.

Is that right. Interesting about motivation, would have thought he would have been good at that.

He was really straight talking on what he saw was good and on what needed improving and didn’t get overly excited by progress others were getting toooo excite about

He’s played in a champions league final & a World Cup final this season. What have you done over the same period, commented on a forum. Saddo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He set up multiple accounts, pretended he was Kenyan and got banned.

#legend

Didn't MBappe mostly play as a wide forward? How did Neymar get in there? Most dives and rolls in the competition? Paulinho? Lolvren? really?

Should be Rekitic for Paulinho, De Bruyne for Neymar, Granqvist for Lolvren, and probably Strinic for Young (I think Nagatomo was the best left back in the competition, he didn't stay in long enough to deserve a place in the team).

What about Kane, he won the golden boot maybe he`s not in it because he only scored against nothing teams ?

Golden glove is awarded for performances - so presumably the winner was the best player in that position.

Golden boot is for goals scored which doesn’t mean much when as you point out it’s against Micky Mouse sides and accounted for by pens.

• 1 month later...

Højbjerg not included in the latest Denmark squad. NT Coach Åge Hareide directly admits that it is solely down to him not playing in the first two games of the season:

"I had hoped that Pierre-Emile could have played for his club, but unfortunately is hasn't been the case. He was very much involved before the WC and I spoke to him, and I would like to see him back in the National team. He is a player I have had faith in from the beginning. But it is difficult to include him if he doesn't play for his club, so we are forced to look at other types of players".

Hareide still have two open spots due to injuries, so PEH may still get his call-up.

Vestergaard is included after his illness in the weekend.