The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

Sane not picked by Germany! Mental :lol:

I think he's a little over-rated, although it is surprising he's not in their squad.

Goetze, scorer of the winning goal in the last World Cup Final wasn't in the initial party either.

Sane not picked by Germany! Mental :lol:

Shocker, and I very nearly put him in my Fantasy Football team! Surely one of the better players, or players that have had an exceptional season, to miss a World Cup not through injury? Gazza/Tiss '98? :) There must be others...

Sane not picked by Germany! Mental [emoji38]
You could say inSane...

He's not played very well for the national team yet. Unlike England, they have options and can afford to be choosy rather than just picking someone because they're on the staff of a big club.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Sane not picked by Germany! Mental [emoji38]
Amazed he's been left out, but does put into perspective the huge gap between the likes of Germany and us that they can even consider not picking someone as good as Sane!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

England have a decent chance of reaching the quarter finals. However their record of winning knockout games in recent tournaments is appalling.

Really? I think we are a dreadfully poor side. Maybe that is a little harsh, borne out of the utterly tedious football served up by the national team both now and for the past 15-20 years. I would love to be proved wrong, but.....

England have a decent chance of reaching the quarter finals. However their record of winning knockout games in recent tournaments is appalling.

Really? I think we are a dreadfully poor side.

To reach the quarter finals requires being in the top 2 of a group with Belgium, Panama and Tunisia and then a last 16 match vs one from Poland, Senegal, Colombia & Japan. We are not so dreadfully poor that those set of results are unlikely.

I must admit this is the first World Cup or European Championships that I have been totally disinterested in. I do think that they are being held in the wrong country and I have the view that like the next one in 2022 they were bought and paid for rather than competed for. I really don't care who wins as long as it isn't Russia, Germany, France or Spain. I will say it would be nice to see Belgium play to the level that their players reach for their clubs which hasn't happened up to now.

I must admit this is the first World Cup or European Championships that I have been totally disinterested in. I do think that they are being held in the wrong country and I have the view that like the next one in 2022 they were bought and paid for rather than competed for. I really don't care who wins as long as it isn't Russia, Germany, France or Spain. I will say it would be nice to see Belgium play to the level that their players reach for their clubs which hasn't happened up to now.

I personally don’t have an issue with Russia hosting it. They are a large country with a strong football base that hadn’t hosted it whereas Spain had relatively recently, as had England somewhat less recently who had also relatively recently hosted the euros. All of Portugal/Netherlands and Belgium had relatively recently hosted euros.

Qatar, no history of ever even qualifying for wc, no stadiums, reports how dangerous the heat would be so that now they are going to rip up the football calendar to make it work. Yeah i’m Not going to be enthusiastic about that one.

Why is the narrative generally within the media that Sterling must start?

After him, it is mentioned rashford should come in.

Vardy is the man IMO

Well on paper at least a guy who plays regularly for title winning city is the obvious choice in a rather average England set up.

Really don’t see vardy as the man as he has excelled through the middle as an out an out striker & unless Kane gets injured he’s not likely to start up top.

Here's a quiz question for everyone:

Who can name the three England players from previous World Cup squads who were born in Southampton? And another four who were born elsewhere in Hampshire?

Wayne Bridge (Southampton)

Darren Anderton (Southampton)

Terry Paine (Winchester)

Can anyone continue?

Last time around we had this.

This time round his head might just blow off.

:lol:

Haha. Hadn't seen this before. This is exactly how I feel about the England team. Comes from decades of under-performing when it matters, with the exclusion of Le Tissier the pinnacle of yellow-bellied-chicken, safety first turgidity.

Nice article on Morocco in the NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/05/sports/world-cup-morocco.html

Nice to see that the NY Times pays attention to Morocco but they should have also mentioned that the Dutch Moroccans - except for Ziyech - wouldn't be selected for the Dutch national team at this moment as they are not good enough. Of course Ziyech would have been more than welcome right now because of his passing abilities but he chose for Morocco because he didn't hear anything from the Dutch staff untill it was too late. Dutch coaches like Marco van Basten and Danny Blind didn't like his attitude and were not keen at all to make him feel special and welcome. It's a shame that Oranje misses out on his talent but Ziyech is indeed a liability when it comes to teambuilding. At each Dutch club (Heerenveen, Twente and Ajax) there are many supporters who don't like him either and wanted him to leave their club. If you think Boufal is a bit of a nuisance, you're in for a treat with Hakim... :D Well, that won't happen anyway.

However, I do hope for the Dutch Moroccans players that they rise to the occasion and make their countrymen proud. With Iran, Spain and Portugal as opponents it will be difficult to reach the next round but who knows...

Edited by van Hanegem

When the second half started Clive Tyldesley was banging on about Elland Road, then Spoke about the statue of Billy Bremner, I could have sworn the next bit of guff that fell out of his mouth was “he was a player who would deliver England a trophy”!!!!!!

Hang on Bremner was Scottish, he would more likely take great pleasure in denying England that chance.

Why is the narrative generally within the media that Sterling must start?

After him, it is mentioned rashford should come in.

Vardy is the man IMO

Rashford for me in preference to Sterling after the two warm-up games. He is sharper and penetrates defences better. Sterling is underperforming.

------------------------Pickford------------------------

--------------Walker---Stones----Cahill--------------

Trippier-------------------------------------------Rose

-------------------------Dier---------------------------

---------Sterling--------Alli---------Rashford---------

-------------------------Kane--------------------------

For me as the starting line up, though I suspect it'll be Sterling OR Rashford with Lindgard getting a midfield spot. (Similar to the line up against Nigeria but with Rose, who looked impressive yesterday, in place of Young.

For me as the starting line up, though I suspect it'll be Sterling OR Rashford with Lindgard getting a midfield spot. (Similar to the line up against Nigeria but with Rose, who looked impressive yesterday, in place of Young.

Yep! Agree, this is our best side.

Same for me please

Great on paper but we’d get tonked playing 1 in midfield. We’d literally never have the bank. Henderson is a ***** but he’s nailed on to start.