The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

TBF hanging your hat on a goal scored by Russia against probably the poorest side in the competition was never really a strong claim. You'll see much better goals from the genuinely big teams as the competition progresses, as yesterday's match proved. Reminded me of Martinas goal as well, which I think was better because it was further out, more difficult technique and had lovely bend on it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Reminded me more of Ivan Golac's goal, partly becuase it had come up on Twitter earlier as it was his birthday. Golac's was much better though because it was a bit further out, but very reminiscent of the legend.

BBC have got one on today, ticking all the boxes once again. They had that squealing, horrendous girl commentator yesterday too doing the highlights of the Iran game. Terrible.

Her and the bloke from Robot Wars are two commentators that I really struggle with. They shout " the goalkeeper is taking a free kick" as though Pele is through on goal in the World Cup final having made a miraculous comeback.

I disagree about the pundits, they are all pretty poor. Biased and they normally just revert to cliche's. A lot of the commentators, who haven't played top flight football, offer better and fairer analysis than the so called expert sat next to them.

BBC have got one on today, ticking all the boxes once again. They had that squealing, horrendous girl commentator yesterday too doing the highlights of the Iran game. Terrible.

She needs some of clare balding's testosterone shots.

To be fair it was a bit grating when she started giving advice to the Spanish strikers, using her own experience as a striker in women's football. It really isn't comparable in any way.

Female and black. I’d have put my mortgage on hypo making a comment about her competence! Best place for her is in the kitchen eh hypo? ? There are plenty of poor male pundits on the telly but let’s have a go at the silly girl. She is still better than Andy Townsend!

On paper France have got an amazing team but Australia seem to be channelling their inner Burnley/Huddersfield/ Tony Pullis team and locking them out. TBH its quite entertaining in the same way an FA cup tie between a minnow and PL team can be.

It's mental toughness that's France's problem. Mbappe, Dembele, Pogba: they haven't shown the resilience and strength to deliver their best at crunch times. Compare that to the level you know you will get from Messi, Ronaldo, Silva, Iniesta, Muller etc.

They should have a good shout for 2022 if they can keep developing.

Why did he wait and allow play to continue before looking at the VAR?

What would've happened if Oz had broken and scored. Would he then have to knock off the Oz goal and award France the pen?

Edited by Micky

Why did he wait and allow play to continue before looking at the VAR?

What would've happened if Oz had broken and scored. Would he then have to knock of the Oz goal and award France the pen?

Yeah. What's so weird about that? Do the review when the ball goes dead. Makes perfect sense.

So the next world cup goes to Mexico, Canada and USA. Bit of a f**k you to the fans, trying to get between Vancouver, NYC and Mexico City to watch games.

Fecking disgrace.

The referee has now evened things up. At least Umkiki has.

It shouldn't be even. Aussies should be 1 up.

I think the replay is inconclusive whether the defender touched the ball or not and therefore the ref should have stuck with his first decision. An "umpire's call" in cricket.

Even if a defender does touch the ball doesn't mean it can't still be a penalty.