The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

The referee in this Germany Mexico game is brilliant so far

I reckon Mexico has some potential this year.

With world cups and stuff however team chemistry for me is more important than the individual players- ie. the whole is better than the sum of its parts.

I don’t mean to brag but I did say this ;)

big grin on end is a big cheeky smile, eg being sarcastic, I think England have a very good solid team with some very very good players, if they show up or play well is a different story though. think GS will have us playing pretty well to, liked the way he had the under 21's playing

As it happens, I agree :)

Roy Keane just said re: VAR that "we all like a bit of human error". Err, no Roy, we all don't. We like consistency and big decisions being made correctly.
Yes we do.

I'm already sick to death of VAR, especially if it results in squinneying about nothing decisions like that goal being pumped up into "big decisions" Er, no.

I like football to be human, not some exercise in robotics and effing hawkeye. Rip the lot out, except maybe the goal line bit.

I was convinced I’d like VAR prior to it being brought in. I’ve hated it so far.
It's because they seem determined not use in in the (proven) way of any other sport. But at the moment, it's a mess.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How is it a mess?
There needs to be clear definition of when it will be used. A number of referrals by each team? By the VAR ref on spotting something? Or if it's on the ref's call, refs must use it properly and not have the option just to decide not to if it suits them.

There needs to be clear definition of when it will be used. A number of referrals by each team? By the VAR ref on spotting something? Or if it's on the ref's call, refs must use it properly and not have the option just to decide not to if it suits them.

But there is. If it is a binary decision, the fellas with the video make it, if it is a potential error, they refer it to the bloke on the pitch

ITV carping on about VAR decision for the Swiss goal, jeez that was nothing..........Christ chalk Off goals like that we might as well pack up the football tent and go home
No way in the world would a penalty be awarded to a forward for a light nudge, in the reverse situation, VAR or not.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

But there is. If it is a binary decision, the fellas with the video make it, if it is a potential error, they refer it to the bloke on the pitch
Fair enough, I stand corrected. But I don't think it's been made that clear how it works.

My word they are still doing this sort of sh1t. Genuinely no idea why anyone would buy this moronic cr@p. Suppose in their news room they think it is funny.

I find it staggering that this sort of stuff even gets past the initial planning stage without one single person saying 'hang on , this is just ridiculous ********'

I find it staggering that this sort of stuff even gets past the initial planning stage without one single person saying 'hang on , this is just ridiculous ********'

They may well internally think it is ridiculous, but... it is the type of thing that wouldn't appear ridiculous to a lot of their readership base, so they keep doing it.

I think they probably say, "hang on, this is just ridiculous ********, our Sun readers will absolutely love it!"

Fair enough, I stand corrected. But I don't think it's been made that clear how it works.

the problem we will have over here (should the prem adopt this method) is that the bloke in the studio will still be shyt and probably unconsciously biased to the big clubs

So Tonight, is the 2 yearly mess that will be England at a tournament. Tonights game is no easy feat, Tunisia are a decent side but we should beat them. I think England to draw this game 1 v 1, papers, pundits and fans to be suicidal. Normal Yawnfest.

Edited by Cabbage_Face