Summer 2018 - Other teams Manager/transfer business

Batman

Poch saying Spurs may not sign anyone this summer and he is unhappy about the transfer window closing when the season starts. I suppose you could argue if the don't sell anyone the team is pretty good anyway but it would still be pretty surprising if Spurs signed no new faces this summer.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6901900/mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-no-signings-premier-league-transfer-window/

Poch saying Spurs may not sign anyone this summer and he is unhappy about the transfer window closing when the season starts. I suppose you could argue if the don't sell anyone the team is pretty good anyway but it would still be pretty surprising if Spurs signed no new faces this summer.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6901900/mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-no-signings-premier-league-transfer-window/

They are skint.

Palace in for Max Meyer?

Sky sources are telling us Crystal Palace are in talks to sign German forward Max Meyer.

The Germany international has been a free agent since leaving Schalke at the end of last season and Palace are confident of completing a deal for the 22-year-old.

Palace in for Max Meyer?

Heard last week he was free agent. Really talented player but serious attitude problems. He's only had one decent season when he switched from an attacking midfielder to playing in a deeper lying role, but has completely fallen out with the Schalke management and board. Bit like a German Ravel Morrison.

Heard last week he was free agent. Really talented player but serious attitude problems. He's only had one decent season when he switched from an attacking midfielder to playing in a deeper lying role, but has completely fallen out with the Schalke management and board. Bit like a German Ravel Morrison.

his agent has also been asking for 145 k a week and 8 mill signing on fee best of luck palace

Nothing like Ravel Morrison. Meyer's commitment and professionalism have never been in doubt - it says something that Schalke kept selecting him in a key role all season in spite of knowing he was leaving at the end of it; and he had he best ever season, helping his team to second in the Bundesliga.

His "bad attitude", as far as I can tell, is that old school Mattheus, Moeller, Effenberg, Kahn attitude of thinking extremely highly of himself and not being shy about vocalising his opinion to teammates and staff. Perhaps in modern day, right on Germany that's no longer seen as such a good thing, but it was certainly embraced in the past.

I'm sure his reputation has not been helped by seemingly having a toxic agent farming him around aggressively with ridiculous demands, making few friends along the way, but there's a super player, just 22, capped 4 times by the national team, to be picked up by someone willing to take a chance. He'll be sold for a big fee at some point in his career.

I remember him absolutely running rings around his England u21 counterpart in the Euros two years ago. The comparison in quality was stark. But, you know, he's quite good at corners and did well with his GCSEs, so I guess we're lucky to have him...

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Nothing like Ravel Morrison. Meyer's commitment and professionalism have never been in doubt - it says something that Schalke kept selecting him in a key role all season in spite of knowing he was leaving at the end of it; and he had he best ever season, helping his team to second in the Bundesliga.

His "bad attitude", as far as I can tell, is that old school Mattheus, Moeller, Effenberg, Kahn attitude of thinking extremely highly of himself and not being shy about vocalising his opinion to teammates and staff. Perhaps in modern day, right on Germany that's no longer seen as such a good thing, but it was certainly embraced in the past.

I'm sure his reputation has not been helped by seemingly having a toxic agent farming him around aggressively with ridiculous demands, making few friends along the way, but there's a super player, just 22, capped 4 times by the national team, to be picked up by someone willing to take a chance. He'll be sold for a big fee at some point in his career.

I remember him absolutely running rings around his England u21 counterpart in the Euros two years ago. The comparison in quality was stark. But, you know, he's quite good at corners and did well with his GCSEs, so I guess we're lucky to have him...

Maybe Morrison was a bad comparison, but I was looking for a talented player who has under-performed. Now you may be better informed than me, but what I'd heard is that he had massively under-performed until he was moved into a deeper role this season, he certainly has failed lived up to expectation until this season. Whoever can channel him (or maybe just gag his agent & 'team' behind him off the pitch) will have a very, very good player on their hands.

Has he massively underperformed, though? He's 22. Having your breakout season at 22 after a couple of up and down years learning the ropes isn't exactly uncommon in even the very best players' career histories.

I think Palace - or whoever gets him - will be picking up a gem. It might not work out, of course; no transfer is ever a certain success. But a Schalke fan told me he'd been offered to us and we'd turned him down, so I'm definitely interested in seeing how this one plays out.

I'd take that if I were them, keeping their stars and manager has to be the main priority. I reckon this is their last chance to win something before the vultures come in.

"Celta is negotiating the sale of Maxi Gómez to West Ham. The english club has offered 30 million but Celta are asking for 40. Negotiations are ongoing and hope it will be concluded this week. It would be the largest sale in the club's history, higher than the 18 for Nolito."

West Ham going big this summer, no doubt about that - have backed Pellegrini big time which will add even more pressure to a baslet case club.

Hard to compete with that level of spending - they will have signed four players for over 20m if that happens, plus Fabianski, Wilshere and Fredericks - all good buys on paper.

Our business decent-ish but some mid table teams have had brilliant windows its fair to say.

West Ham going big this summer, no doubt about that - have backed Pellegrini big time which will add even more pressure to a baslet case club.

Hard to compete with that level of spending - they will have signed four players for over 20m if that happens, plus Fabianski, Wilshere and Fredericks - all good buys on paper.

Our business decent-ish but some mid table teams have had brilliant windows its fair to say.

You aren't allowed opinions on other clubs on this thread, Dusic.

This years Everton, can't have a huge turnover of players and expect them all to turn up and gel.

"Celta is negotiating the sale of Maxi Gómez to West Ham. The english club has offered 30 million but Celta are asking for 40. Negotiations are ongoing and hope it will be concluded this week. It would be the largest sale in the club's history, higher than the 18 for Nolito."

Shame this didn't happen before they loaned Boufal - but if he applies himself a bit more there then they might buy him knowing they have the cash.

You can only really look at your own club's squad and estimate you've filled enough gap areas before the season kicks off. The rest of it is all on paper - remember how people were excited people were when Norwich signed Van Wolfswinkle or Everton's haul last summer. Then those clubs are stuck with them on large contracts when the value has depreciated.

I still believe in Saints' case that money needs to be found for a genuinely pacy winger/striker who runs between the lines and creates space for Gabbiadini and Mo Ely. I would find it by selling Targett - McQueen will do as back up to Bertrand - and a couple of the fringe players - we clearly don't need both Harrison Reed and JWP for example. Possibly Stephens as well. Would keep Gallagher and give him some opportunities this season.

Everton / Stoke swap deal on the cards.

EVERTON PLAN WILLIAMS-N'DIAYE SWAP

SSN understands Everton are in talks with Stoke City over a deal to take midfielder Badou N’Diaye to Goodison Park, with defender Ashley Williams heading in the opposite direction.

N’Diaye is keen to play again in the Premier League after impressing for Stoke since his £14m move from Galatasaraay in January, but the Potters are keen to keep him as they mount a challenge to return to the top flight at the first attempt.

Manager Gary Rowett told SSN yesterday he still wants more defensive cover before the window closes and it’s though Williams is a favoured target - though it could be an initial loan deal for the man who turns 34 later this month.

While I know players wages are reported to a huge varying degree, I read that Palace are to pay Meyer £170k a week!!!

His Agent was quoted as saying he "deserved" £7.5 million a season, which is why he left Schalke because he wasnt offered anywhere near that, so I wouldn't be surprised if the figure was close to 170k a week as he was demanding 144k from Schalke and turned it down!

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11443137/max-meyer-former-schalke-wonderkid-without-a-club

I was running through a load of stats on whoscored to see if there were any creative or goalscoring players in some of the other leagues at smaller clubs that might be a bit more under the radar. Found three or four players I'd never heard of (admittedly, others may well have done, my world knowledge is not what it once was), and every one I googled was linked with one of the biggest teams in the world.

That's the depressing state of football now, the top clubs have so much money they can afford to go after anyone who might be half-decent, regardless of whether they need them or plan to give them any game time.

Deserve is a strange word to use. I would love a wage cap of £20k a week to be brought in. Its hardly going to stop your lad from playing. "Look son, you're only going to be paid £1m a year max!" "Nah, can't be bothered to get out of bed for that". But I realise that this isn't going to happen, so the madness will carry on until the house of cards falls over, if it does. And TBH, I hope Palace get stung really badly for this.

I was running through a load of stats on whoscored to see if there were any creative or goalscoring players in some of the other leagues at smaller clubs that might be a bit more under the radar. Found three or four players I'd never heard of (admittedly, others may well have done, my world knowledge is not what it once was), and every one I googled was linked with one of the biggest teams in the world.

That's the depressing state of football now, the top clubs have so much money they can afford to go after anyone who might be half-decent, regardless of whether they need them or plan to give them any game time.

There's a fair amount of stockpiling that goes on. Incredible that Chelsea loan out 40+ players and still have youth sides that win their respective leagues. I assume the top clubs spend a huge amount on their scouting departments too.

Sean Dyche saying Burnley are being priced out of the PL

But Dyche believes Burnley’s experience in the transfer market this summer has reaffirmed how they are the “minnows of the Premier League” and fears there may come a time when the spending power of rivals leaves the club powerless to compete without compromising their existence.

“There are players I’ve rung up about that you would be in disbelief if I told you the numbers [involved] – you would be flummoxed,” Dyche said. “And then when you hear their wages you wouldn’t believe it. The numbers are just crazy, for any player. They’re through the roof. It’s certainly a seller’s market.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/08/01/burnley-could-priced-premier-league-insists-manager-sean-dyche/

Sean Dyche saying Burnley are being priced out of the PL

But Dyche believes Burnley’s experience in the transfer market this summer has reaffirmed how they are the “minnows of the Premier League” and fears there may come a time when the spending power of rivals leaves the club powerless to compete without compromising their existence.

“There are players I’ve rung up about that you would be in disbelief if I told you the numbers [involved] – you would be flummoxed,” Dyche said. “And then when you hear their wages you wouldn’t believe it. The numbers are just crazy, for any player. They’re through the roof. It’s certainly a seller’s market.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/08/01/burnley-could-priced-premier-league-insists-manager-sean-dyche/

This kind of thing really interests me, I would love for someone like Dyche to get so frustrated that he just starts calling players out and quoting the wages they're demanding so we can actually see just how crazy the transfer market has become, it looks mental from the outside so if someone like Dyche is completely gobsmacked when having inside knowledge it must be allot worse than we can imagine!

Deserve is a strange word to use. I would love a wage cap of £20k a week to be brought in. Its hardly going to stop your lad from playing. "Look son, you're only going to be paid £1m a year max!" "Nah, can't be bothered to get out of bed for that". But I realise that this isn't going to happen, so the madness will carry on until the house of cards falls over, if it does. And TBH, I hope Palace get stung really badly for this.

There would be ways around it through endorsements etc.

In the grand scheme of things, footballers aren't even that well paid. According to Forbes, the highest earning PL footballer last year was Pogba and he was only 52nd in the list of sports people. Golfers, basketball and baseball players, F1 drivers, boxers and NFL were all much higher paid.

I don't even think it needs to be on individuals. A team wage cap would suffice, and you could even make it flexible so that bigger clubs have a bigger budget - I don't expect a level playing field, just a bit more level than it is - that way clubs would have to make the call on splashing wages on a big name player and using up all their cap, or having more 'good' players. Plus it would make players think twice regarding their wage demands - are they really moving for 'trophies'? If so, wouldn't they demand less money to ensure their club could sign a few other good players?

It's just a pipe dream unfortunately. No incentive for the PL to do it as it would make them 'less competitive' vs other UEFA countries, there would be endless legal challenges about restricting people's market value like they have with the NFL, and even once in place there's no doubt club would try and find ways round it, but paying "image rights" which don't count as salary instead etc.

I genuinely think it would solve a lot of football's ills though. So much money in the game and yet it all just gets spunked on player wages and agent fees. Transfer fees are absurd, but at least there is some element of knock-on effect and 'trickle down' (though even that is debatable).

I don't even think it needs to be on individuals. A team wage cap would suffice, and you could even make it flexible so that bigger clubs have a bigger budget - I don't expect a level playing field, just a bit more level than it is - that way clubs would have to make the call on splashing wages on a big name player and using up all their cap, or having more 'good' players. Plus it would make players think twice regarding their wage demands - are they really moving for 'trophies'? If so, wouldn't they demand less money to ensure their club could sign a few other good players?

It's just a pipe dream unfortunately. No incentive for the PL to do it as it would make them 'less competitive' vs other UEFA countries, there would be endless legal challenges about restricting people's market value like they have with the NFL, and even once in place there's no doubt club would try and find ways round it, but paying "image rights" which don't count as salary instead etc.

I genuinely think it would solve a lot of football's ills though. So much money in the game and yet it all just gets spunked on player wages and agent fees. Transfer fees are absurd, but at least there is some element of knock-on effect and 'trickle down' (though even that is debatable).

The premier league is about as fair as it gets compared to UEFAs other major divisions

Burnley back in for Clucas.

BURNLEY BID FOR CLUCAS

Burnley have put in an £8m bid for Swansea midfielder Sam Clucas, Sky sources understand.

The 27-year-old signed for the Swans from Hull City last summer, and scored three Premier League goals as the Welsh side were relegated last season.

The premier league is about as fair as it gets compared to UEFAs other major divisions

That's not a point I was arguing. The 'competitive' bit vs other UEFA countries referred to how competitive teams from EPL would be in European competitions.

Unless you are just defending how things are. In which case, I'm not sure a sufficient (for me at least) counter argument to "we could make things better than they are" is "they are already better than elsewhere, so why bother?"