Summer 2018 - Other teams Manager/transfer business

Batman

Surely he'll go to Man Utd when Mourinho gets bored...? or abroad.

That could go south very quickly and it will be very amusing

Looks like a proper merry-go-round for premier league managers this summer.

Wenger going, Big Fat Sam almost certainly going, Moyes looks unlikely to stay at West Ham, Conte unlikely to stay at Chelsea, MoPo going to be enticed away from Tottenham, and Hughes not guaranteed to stay at Saints.

Add to all of that that Redknapp wants back in.....

(shudder)

Looks like a proper merry-go-round for premier league managers this summer.

Wenger going, Big Fat Sam almost certainly going, Moyes looks unlikely to stay at West Ham, Conte unlikely to stay at Chelsea, MoPo going to be enticed away from Tottenham, and Hughes not guaranteed to stay at Saints.

Add to all of that that Redknapp wants back in.....

(shudder)

Potentially half the league...!

Arsenal - New Manager

Bournemouth

Brighton & Hove Albion

Burnley - Could Dyche be tempted away?

Cardiff City

Chelsea - Likely New Manager

Crystal Palace

Everton - New Manager

Huddersfield Town

Leicester City - Possibly New Manager

Liverpool

Manchester City

Manchester United

Newcastle United - Possibly New Manager

Southampton - Possibly New Manager

Tottenham Hotspur - Possibly New Manager

Watford - Possibly new manager (it's Watford!)

West Ham United - New Manager

Wolverhampton Wanderers

You tend not to sack your manager (or not retain them) willingly from a position of strength.

Those clubs sacking a manager or not renewing his contract in the summer do so because they think the current one is underperforming with their current resources. That doesn't mean the league isn't strong.

Those clubs sacking a manager or not renewing his contract in the summer do so because they think the current one is underperforming with their current resources. That doesn't mean the league isn't strong.

It does. My evidence. Th current league, which is terrible

Why does a lot of teams changing the manager mean the league isn't strong? :?

The league has been dreadful this season, just look at Everton, Leicester, and Palace who have been largely crap all year. There's so much dross in the league (including us this year!)

This year, for a laugh...just for once, can we not get extremely jealous of all clubs signing loads of players? Every single summer it happens and most the time that club goes on to be rubbish.

I'll try. I still wanted Sigurdsson & Theo though!

The league has been dreadful this season, just look at Everton, Leicester, and Palace who have been largely crap all year. There's so much dross in the league (including us this year!)

Someone on the TUI described the premier league as a division of 6 Harlem Globertrotters and 14 Washington Generals. Ie 14 lambs to the slaughter for benefit of the global TV audience, which I thought was a pretty bang on assessment. So this season? Will it be 7th, 15th or 17th or 20th? Either way and despite what mental, pedantic Matthew says, the league below the top 6 is poor. We should just be the stooges for the top 6 and if anyone does try to stop them doing their tricks then prepare to be patronised by Crooks, Murphy, Redknapp etc for having the audacity to stand up to them.

Of course, me too. It's more being jealous of those signing 6 or 7 players at once you've heard of on Football Manager but never seen play.

I still think the best strategy for most clubs is to sign 2/3 quality players who'll truly improve the first 11. You need some consistency. Competition and improvement elsewhere should come from players gaining experience, youth players coming through.

Agree largely with that, look at how massively we improved the summer we signed Wanyama and Lovren. Putting Osvaldo aside, we moved from relegation fodder to a solid 8th by signing 2 players.

Someone on the TUI described the premier league as a division of 6 Harlem Globertrotters and 14 Washington Generals. Ie 14 lambs to the slaughter for benefit of the global TV audience, which I thought was a pretty bang on assessment. So this season? Will it be 7th, 15th or 17th or 20th? Either way and despite what mental, pedantic Matthew says, the league below the top 6 is poor. We should just be the stooges for the top 6 and if anyone does try to stop them doing their tricks then prepare to be patronised by Crooks, Murphy, Redknapp etc for having the audacity to stand up to them.

Still, the PL is the only competition in Europe with a top 6. But with all the money and top players coming in there should be more to enjoy.

Part of the problem is u have the top 6 and the rest.

Even taking the best 11 from accross the other 14 sides you'd struggle to make a team better than Man City and even Liverpool.

From leicester you'd probably take Mahrez, Vardy, Schmeichel and Maguire

You'd probably also pick from

Shaqiri?

Lascelles?

Bertrand?

Aké?

Arnautovic?

Zaha?

Tadic?

Ritchie?

Mooy?

King?

You'd struggle to put together a squad strong enough. And that's with a pick from all 14 sides

Edited by Heisenberg

Part of the problem is u have the top 6 and the rest.

Even taking the best 11 from accross the other 14 sides you'd struggle to make a team better than Man City and even Liverpool.

From leicester you'd probably take Mahrez, Vardy, Schmeichel and Maguire

You'd probably also pick from

Shaqiri?

Lascelles?

Bertrand?

Aké?

Arnautovic?

Zaha?

Tadic?

Ritchie?

Mooy?

King?

You'd struggle to put together a squad strong enough. And that's with a pick from all 14 sides

Can you name another European league that has better quality in the bottom 14 of a 20 team league?

This is the squad that finished in 17th in Spain...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Legan%C3%A9s#Current_squad

They would be blown out of the water by any Premier League team for wages and transfer fees.

Edited by Matthew Le God

The top 6 are possibly the strongest they've ever been this year. 5 teams made the CL knockout rounds and Arsenal made the Europa semis. On the other end the huge TV money has made the worst teams of the league much more competitive with all teams having enough to plug any weaknesses. It means there's no more middle ground anymore, just the top and bottom.

14 teams are relegation candidates next season.

Can you name another European league that has better quality in the bottom 14 of a 20 team league?

They would be blown out of the water by any Premier League team for wages and transfer fees.

Probably 60% of Premier League teams would struggle to beat them thou.

The top 6 are so good nowadays that the bottom 14 look terrible in comparison. They hold 2 sides of top quality players, which means they don’t really drop a level when they have injuries. In the past players like Delph, Wellbeck, Drinkwater, Vorm, and Llorente would be playing in sides just below the elite, now they’re happy to be part of the elite instead of helping other sides beat the elite. It’s been going like it for years, but it’s quickened as the money has poured in. It’s happening all over Europe, so saying our lack of champions league success proves otherwise is false. Madrid & Barca, Bayern, they’re all doing it. How many titles have Juve won lately. The massive European clubs are further ahead of the have nots than they’ve ever been.

Personally I think the standard of our league is extremely high, despite the gap. It’s just the difference is so much bigger than it’s ever been. The technical level of the poor sides has never been as good, there’s internationals throughout the bottom 14. The issue is that negative defensive football is in vogue. Sides just don’t go toe to toe with the big guns like they used to, and more worryingly they don’t against their peers either. We’re having a spell of cagey defensive football, but football is cyclical. Somebody will come along and adapt Klopp or Peps styles to inferior players and that’ll become fashionable. But it’s still just as much of an achievement to finish top 10 as it was 10,15,20 years ago. It’s a good league packed with quality and it’s better now there’s a top 6 as opposed to a top 4 or top 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The animosity between Everton and Watford over Silva hasn’t dissipated, it seems...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/15/everton-will-hold-talks-watford-avoid-possible-points-deduction/

Everton are such a strange club, add up the millions they've spent on manager acquisition and compensation and you've got to question the top level management there. There are still question marks over the source of funds with links to Usmanov, very shady. Nevertheless let's hope they continue to waste money , their policy of spending big on players past their prime with no sell on value , perhaps they'll "win the transfer window " again.

Going to be a strange summer with so many new managers set to be appointed in the Premier League, plus a short transfer window finishing in early August we've got to be well organised to get business done. When I look at our competitors like Leicester (Puel), West Ham, Newcastle, Brighton, Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Burnley, Cardiff etc I can't see any of them pushing on much more.

Lol 12 out of the last 18 European competitions were won by Spanish teams.

The team that finished second in the premier league went out of the champions league to a team that will finish where in the Spanish League?

You are mental if you think the premier league is a patch on La Liga. We may have money but the premier league is very very poor, hence Man City finishing with a record number of points etc.

Lol 12 out of the last 18 European competitions were won by Spanish teams.

The team that finished second in the premier league went out of the champions league to a team that will finish where in the Spanish League?

You are mental if you think the premier league is a patch on La Liga. We may have money but the premier league is very very poor, hence Man City finishing with a record number of points etc.

I think you need to reread what I said. I didn't say the best teams in the Premier League were better than Spain's best teams, Barcelona & and the two Madrid sides are very good. I said the league overall has more depth to it, the bottom 14 Spanish club would struggle to compete with the bottom 14 English clubs financially.

I think you need to reread what I said. I didn't say the best teams in the Premier League were better than Spain's best teams, Barcelona & and the two Madrid sides are very good. I said the league overall has more depth to it, the bottom 14 Spanish club would struggle to compete with the bottom 14 English clubs financially.

You say that with such confidence but look at the recent facts - you've had teams (Saints, West Ham, Everton) from the bottom 14 of the premier league struggling against very average teams from Denmark, Cyprus, Israel, Romania, Czech Republic, Italy and France.

The reason why La Liga (outside of Real and Barca, and latterly Athletico) are poor by comparison in terms of depth in quality, is that until recently only the big two got any money. Valencia, Deportivo, Celta Vigo and Villareal all chased the dream but have also found financial problems. The reason why the Premier League is as competitive as it is, is because of the equal share of revenue. If that ever changes then it will be a different story.

Why do you keep talking about finances? Everyone knows he premier league gets more money...

It wasn't a big Spanish team who knocked out Man Utd out of the champions league.

Premier league teams outside for big 6 do appalling in Europe and you think the strength of the premier league is better?

Cue: "but they have more money?"...instead of that why don't you give some stats which show any of the bottom 14 doing anything other than losing to teams with massively less revenue from other leagues?

The reason why La Liga (outside of Real and Barca, and latterly Athletico) are poor by comparison in terms of depth in quality, is that until recently only the big two got any money. Valencia, Deportivo, Celta Vigo and Villareal all chased the dream but have also found financial problems. The reason why the Premier League is as competitive as it is, is because of the equal share of revenue. If that ever changes then it will be a different story.

Lol Man City just got 100 points...the premier league has never ever ever been less competitive! (Unless you think 14 ****e teams losing to the top 6 then drawing games against each other as they don't have any decent players to create or score goals is competitive)