Summer 2018 - Other teams Manager/transfer business

Batman

Note that this article mentions nothing about them being interested in Bertrand

Seeing as they survived most of the season without Mendy, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't that that fussed about pursuing Bertrand.

It's Spurs that I worry about, if Rose left.

Seeing as they survived most of the season without Mendy, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't that that fussed about pursuing Bertrand.

It's Spurs that I worry about, if Rose left.

I’ve always felt that Ryan is destined to end up back at Chelsea, if anywhere. He’s clearly still got an affinity with them and the area, be interesting to know whether that’d be enough to stop him going to Spurs though if they came in for him.

Had a review of Oatcake last pm, and found a few Stoke fans saying, as on here, that a lot of Derby fans known to them would be glad to see the back of him, a hoofball merchant.

Thought Les was meant to be one of his admirers as well.

Had a review of Oatcake last pm, and found a few Stoke fans saying, as on here, that a lot of Derby fans known to them would be glad to see the back of him, a hoofball merchant.

Thought Les was meant to be one of his admirers as well.

Rowett is a very good choice for down there. He's only just signed a new deal at Derby so I didn't think he'd be available.

Rowett is a very good choice for down there. He's only just signed a new deal at Derby so I didn't think he'd be available.

He has asked to talk to Stoke...

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/05/club-statement-gary-rowett

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44203326

"Derby County Football Club can confirm that Gary Rowett has asked for permission to speak with Stoke City regarding the vacant manager's position.

"The club is now in discussion with Stoke regarding the matter and will update our supporters in due course."

I know it's the same at many clubs, but never understand why it takes relegation to go for someone like Rowett. 'Too risky' in a relegation clash, so opt for Pardew, Hughes, Moyes, Lambert etc. Same with Jokanovic.

Stoke tried for him in January. He then signed a new three year contract at Derby.

I know it's the same at many clubs, but never understand why it takes relegation to go for someone like Rowett. 'Too risky' in a relegation clash, so opt for Pardew, Hughes, Moyes, Lambert etc. Same with Jokanovic.

I know what you mean. I think Stoke did want Rowett back in January but couldn't get it done & ended up with Lambert.

Credit to the Stoke board though, if they have firmly identified their target then going back in for him.

Contrast this with dither over appointing Puel dither over sacking him, dither over his replacement, then dither again before sacking him.

Could also be argued appointing Hughes is the easiest and most convenient option rather than having a strategy in place for identifying a realistic target and and appointing someone as soon as the season ends.

Who is "someone like Rowett"?

I know Derby fans that will happily drive him to Stoke. Unambitious, tedious football and scraped the play offs despite plenty of financial backing and a good half season before to settle in.

Best comparison is Burley with us.

All in all a fair to middling boss, not some undiscovered genius.

Manuel Pellegrino named as west ham manager this morning

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Pellegrini that is...even though it's west ham I still wouldn't wish that clown on them.

Pellegrini that is...even though it's west ham I still wouldn't wish that clown on them.

I like him, he showed class and respect when Pep was appointed behind his back and did a very decent job building out Man City.

The City recruitment during his reign was also decent.

I think he's an underrated manager and will do well with WHU.

Think he is a great manager and a good signing for the hammers - Shame as I wanted him for us before Puel - think he will sort them out and unfortunately they wont be near the relegation area next season.

Very expensive though and yes they will sign some ****e but their last load of windows have been poor (or ok players but management / system not great!)

'Players signed for 16/17 season...

André Ayew - gone

Robert Snodgrass - gone (might come back - but I assume Villa will buy him)

José Fonte - gone

Arthur Masuaku - decent some game / rubbish other ones

Edimilson Fernandes - :-|

Simone Zaza - gone

Jonathan Calleri - gone

Gökhan Töre - gone

Álvaro Arbeloa - gone

Ashley Fletcher - gone

Sofiane Feghouli - gone

Havard Nordtveit - gone

The Telegraph claims that Man City are in talks with Leicester about Mahrez. “intermediary fees” thought to be a stumbling block...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/21/manchester-city-fresh-talks-leicester-signing-riyad-mahrez/

It's really time the footballing authorities put a cap on agent fees. In fact why not scrap them altogether, stipulate that agents must be paid from the wages of players.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

It's really time the footballing authorities put a cap on agent fees. In fact why not scrap them altogether, stipulate that agents must be paid from the wages of players.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Because it's not just players who use them.

Think a flat % would be much better, say 5% (so a deal rising from £4.5m to £6m should have an agents fee of £225k to £300k for example).

Because it's not just players who use them.

Think a flat % would be much better, say 5% (so a deal rising from £4.5m to £6m should have an agents fee of £225k to £300k for example).

This would be so much better.

Would stop people like Jonny Evans' agent from asking for a £4m agent fee from a £3m release clause.

Stoke get relegated, sack their manager and appoint a new one before we sort ourselves out
It is now becoming a bit silly that other clubs can sack recruit and announce brand new managers and we can't seem to complete this simple task with a manager that has a car parking space and a monogrammed tracksuit at the club already.

Just feels the club have learned fu ck all.

It is now becoming a bit silly that other clubs can sack recruit and announce brand new managers and we can't seem to complete this simple task with a manager that has a car parking space and a monogrammed tracksuit at the club already.

Precisely. Doesn't bode well for a summer where we need to act quickly to rectify problems and have a compressed time frame to do it in (WC). Given that article in the Telegraph about how, despite our position, our transfer model was still producing good results (laughable given that it cited the awful Hoedt as a success) I'd say we've learned sweet FA. If we can't sign up an unemployed manager, with a slightly damaged reputation and who as keen to join us as we are supposedly to appoint him then it doesn't bode particularly well.

If this is saints having a decisive summer and getting business done early.... going to be a stopping transfer window!

If this is saints having a decisive summer and getting business done early.... going to be a stopping transfer window!
It's looking like this year's "We're going to recruit Unai Emery/Thomas Tuchel" is actually "We're going to recruit Mark Hughes".

We've even downgraded our unachievable targets...

In all seriousness I am sure we will get this done but the fact that WHU and Stoke and others can get on with stuff while we can't is a joke.

If we finalise Hughes tomorrow then fine but it's still taken too long and all the behaviours that have fu cked up The last 3 transfer windows are still there.

It certainly does seem like that yes. All we need now is Hughes to walk away to put the cherry on top and saints will go to radio silence again now doubt.

Les is said to calm and relaxed about the situation - his default mode.

In all seriousness, isn’t Hughes meant to be on holiday until Saturday? I’m guessing the delay in announcing is to get all the inevitable media content ready before doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk