Stadium naming rights

Pamplemousse

Given the club's desire for commercial growth, I wonder if there is a possibility that the club may look for a sponsor for the stadium in the near future (or are currently looking)? Or would fan backlash be so big that the club aren't considering this at all?

Friends Provident St Mary's Stadium didn't last long.

If I remember rightly, flybe "gave the stadium back to the fans"

Translation: didn't want to pay the extra for stadium-naming rights (for a then mid-table championship team)

Say they did rebrand it, would anyone other than the media use the new name? Pretty sure every Saints fan, and those of other clubs would still call it St Mary's because it's been that forever. But then I guess if the media use it they get brand exposure which is what counts.

Given the club's desire for commercial growth, I wonder if there is a possibility that the club may look for a sponsor for the stadium in the near future (or are currently looking)? Or would fan backlash be so big that the club aren't considering this at all?

Not remotely bothered, we'll all continue to call it St Mary's anyway.

If we can make some money to pay for more commercial development by renaming the stadium I am happy for that, then they have no excuse to reinvest more in the squad.

Stadium naming has to be worth at least 2-3 million a season if its called The Insert company name St Marys stadium, maybe more if they choose the name and rename it completely.

Tbh I've never liked the name of our current ground. So generic compared to the dell, just had a nice ring to it. I honestly wouldnt mind a name change unless it was just shameless branding. Something like bet365 stadium would make me heave.

I like it. Works on a few levels, the area of the city it's in, the original name of the club and the church we were founded in. Perfect really.

Virgin St Marys has a good ring

An Untarnished Ring?

St Mary's is just fine ... does exactly what it says on the tin. It's also got a bit of history behind it as well.

I loved Mick Channon's (I think it was!?) slightly non PC choice of The New Delhi :scared:

I can honestly say I have no clue what Leicester, Hull City, Newcastle, Stoke or numerous others call their ground nowadays. Souless sponsors names with nothing to do with the clubs except for money.

An Untarnished Ring?

St Mary's is just fine ... does exactly what it says on the tin. It's also got a bit of history behind it as well.

I loved Mick Channon's (I think it was!?) slightly non PC choice of The New Delhi :scared:

I can honestly say I have no clue what Leicester, Hull City, Newcastle, Stoke or numerous others call their ground nowadays. Souless sponsors names with nothing to do with the clubs except for money.

I imagine Newcastle fans still call it St James' Park, as that is what it has always been regardless of what their chairman wants to call it.

As for the others (and you can also include Bolton and Huddersfield in this list in that their new grounds only ever had a commercial sponsors name since they opened) - I genuinely feel sorry for fans of those clubs in this respect. We nearly had the same situation when Lowe announced that it would be called the Friends Provident stadium, only for a fan backlash to get them to add the St Marys bit which then became the obvious name for us to adopt.

As someone has already posted - it doesn't matter what sponsorship deals the club does and what the media decide to call it, to us it will only ever be St Marys.

Looks like the same font used at The Dell.

7d0109c7acac13c7b2f82b2e2f402dff.jpg

It looks more like the exact same font they've used on everything for the past few years (OS, non-Premier League shirt names, programme, emails, Annual, every official document) than it does that. Look at the M for a start - the middle strokes are full length on the Dell sign, but only half the height of the letter on the official Saints font.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2679&d=1526574176

jpeg.jpg?f=16x9&w=1200&$p$f$w=dfa40e8

southampton-v-manchester-united-official-premier-league-matchday-programme-17-18-23rd-september-2017-187051-p.jpg

51YGSVuXoOL._SX333_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Saints font.jpg

Just found this on twitter too

DdVgNVnXUAU1ldK.jpg

Looks like the panels have gone too

This is what it used to look like in case anyone's wondering - it was a LOT "off-message" as far as corporate identity went and makes sense they'd bring it in line.

mary-main-2.png