Ralph Krueger on the clubs season, trying to keep Mark Hughes and future of Les Reed

Matthew Le God

please point us to any club who hasn't staff that are spending other peoples money? Cortese I believe wanted the club to get into the CL as per ML dream. I got the impression that he was going for that as was Marcus's wishes.

Are there any quotes from Marcus about making saints a CL side? My take was that saints was an investment the idea was to get us back to the PL and then sell for a tidy profit pretty much what happened. As far as I know there was a five year plan to get us back into the PL but nothing beyond that.

Not aware ML had any 'dream' I dont see the situation back then anything other than getting the club into the PL and then selling it.

The problem with Cortese is he wasnt running the club in a democratic manner and its still up to debate whether large offshore loans where sanctioned by the owner/advisors.

The club 'at the time' couldnt afford Ramirez and especially Osvaldo and his wages and that caused financial issues.

Likewise the spiralling cost of redeveloping staplewood via him.

Ive never seen any real words from Marcus Liebherr about his 'wishes' or dreams', we do know that the club was to run in a sustainable manner, which wasnt happening.

Cortese was a right charlatan and if he was this amazing CEO that some fans claim, he would have been gobbled up within weeks by a top european side. LOL

How many fans fell hook line and sinker for the pr consultant placed article in the times newspaper that claimed AC Milan wanted nasty nic !

Not aware ML had any 'dream' I dont see the situation back then anything other than getting the club into the PL and then selling it.

The problem with Cortese is he wasnt running the club in a democratic manner and its still up to debate whether large offshore loans where sanctioned by the owner/advisors.

The club 'at the time' couldnt afford Ramirez and especially Osvaldo and his wages and that caused financial issues.

Likewise the spiralling cost of redeveloping staplewood via him.

Ive never seen any real words from Marcus Liebherr about his 'wishes' or dreams', we do know that the club was to run in a sustainable manner, which wasnt happening.

Cortese was a right charlatan and if he was this amazing CEO that some fans claim, he would have been gobbled up within weeks by a top european side. LOL

How many fans fell hook line and sinker for the pr consultant placed article in the times newspaper that claimed AC Milan wanted nasty nic !

The charlatan was responsible for Marcus Liebherr buying the club. If it hadn't been for him we most probably would've done a Coventry (or worse).

Are there any quotes from Marcus about making saints a CL side? My take was that saints was an investment the idea was to get us back to the PL and then sell for a tidy profit pretty much what happened. As far as I know there was a five year plan to get us back into the PL but nothing beyond that.

Cortese himself is quoted as saying (Not verbatim, but to the same effect) "He asked me to build a solid mid table premiership club" and Cortese replied he couldn't do that...... he wanted to go much further.

please point us to any club who hasn't staff that are spending other peoples money? Cortese I believe wanted the club to get into the CL as per ML dream. I got the impression that he was going for that as was Marcus's wishes.
Nothing anywhere that said ML's dream was CL football.

He was a sensible businessman so I very much doubt he had any interest in funding that.

The charlatan was responsible for Marcus Liebherr buying the club. If it hadn't been for him we most probably would've done a Coventry (or worse).

Agree, Cortese was anything but a charlatan.

Not only did he persuade Markus to buy us, he had energy and plan to drive the club forward in a manner that few else could or would without Middle eastern money.

Compared to the array of wet fannies we currently have "driving us" at the same speed as Miss Daisy, give me the Cortese way anytime.

Agree, Cortese was anything but a charlatan.

Not only did he persuade Markus to buy us, he had energy and plan to drive the club forward in a manner that few else could or would without Middle eastern money.

Compared to the array of wet fannies we currently have "driving us" at the same speed as Miss Daisy, give me the Cortese way anytime.

Driving us from league 1 to the premiership was the easy bit, don’t forget Norwich with Delia driving them did the exact same thing the previous year. As Burnley have proved, it’s not particularly hard to finish 8th. The hardest part is pushing on from Europa League to Champions league. What on Earth makes you think Cortese could have done that without bankruptcy. Do you ever wonder why he’s not been given another job in football. Doesn’t that make you stop and think for one minute

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Driving us from league 1 to the premiership was the easy bit, don’t forget Norwich with Delia driving them did the exact same thing the previous year. As Burnley have proved, it’s not particularly hard to finish 8th. The hardest part is pushing on from Europa League to Champions league. What on Earth makes you think Cortese could have done that without bankruptcy. Do you ever wonder why he’s not been given another job in football. Doesn’t that make you stop and think for one minute

If that was easy, how come most teams never do it?

If that was easy, how come most teams never do it?
The easy bit compared to getting into the Champions League.

And it is. Huddersfield have made it to the Prem and Burnley, Swansea and WBA have made it to eighth.

The easy bit compared to getting into the Champions League.

And it is. Huddersfield have made it to the Prem and Burnley, Swansea and WBA have made it to eighth.

Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Brighton and us were all in League One together and are all now in the premier league, Man City also went down to league one and came back to the premier league, despite what people want you to think the league one to premier league route is considerably easier than the mid table to top six route in the premier league (and Champions League is nigh on impossible other than an absolute freak season).

So many people on here have played far, far too many computer games and need to get a sense of reality. Europa league for us is one hell of an achievement, and at best something we'll get once every 5 or so years even if being run well (and keeping players).

Realistically all of these clubs can outspend us,

City

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal

Spurs

Man United

Everton

West Ham

then these clubs can match us at least,

Leicester

Newcastle

Wolves

And if Villa come up i'd put them in the second tier group with us to begin with (but will pretty quickly move up).

So that basically means to get anywhere near the top six we're reliant on 3 teams that can outspend us having poor seasons, as well as the ones around us having average or poor seasons, us doing well and no other smaller side having an exceptional season.

To even talk of the Champions League is madness, without the biggest slice of luck ever (Hi Leicester) where all the stars are aligned, you'd have to outspend and out perform at least three of the richest clubs in the country, and one or two of the richest clubs in the world.

To do it regularly you'd need to break virtually every rule in FFP as the model would be totally unsustainable.

And yet people still seriously think we can break that group!? Delusion doesn't even come close to covering a portion of our fanbase.

Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Brighton and us were all in League One together and are all now in the premier league, Man City also went down to league one and came back to the premier league, despite what people want you to think the league one to premier league route is considerably easier than the mid table to top six route in the premier league (and Champions League is nigh on impossible other than an absolute freak season).

So many people on here have played far, far too many computer games and need to get a sense of reality. Europa league for us is one hell of an achievement, and at best something we'll get once every 5 or so years even if being run well (and keeping players).

City

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal

Spurs

Man United

Everton

West Ham

Leicester

Newcastle

Wolves

And if Villa come up i'd put them in the second tier group with us to begin with (but will pretty quickly move up).

So that basically means to get anywhere near the top six we're reliant on 3 teams that can outspend us having poor seasons, as well as the ones around us having average or poor seasons, us doing well and no other smaller side having an exceptional season.

To even talk of the Champions League is madness, without the biggest slice of luck ever (Hi Leicester) where all the stars are aligned, you'd have to outspend and out perform at least three of the richest clubs in the country, and one or two of the richest clubs in the world.

To do it regularly you'd need to break virtually every rule in FFP as the model would be totally unsustainable.

And yet people still seriously think we can break that group!? Delusion doesn't even come close to covering a portion of our fanbase.

Great post, and exactly right. Leaving Cortese to conduct business without question or secondary auditing could well have led us down the very same path that Leeds United trod as they chased the Champions League dream.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Exactly. If you throw £100m at a Lg1 and championship club its harder to **** it up than succeed.

City

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal

Spurs

Man United

Everton

West Ham

Leicester

Newcastle

Wolves

Excellent post - honesty and realism- 2 things that are missing from this place most of the time.

Great post, and exactly right. Leaving Cortese to conduct business without question or secondary auditing could well have led us down the very same path that Leeds United trod as they chased the Champions League dream.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I think it’s much harder now than when Leeds we having a pop at it. In fact, the Leeds business model was not much different than Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool. One of those clubs was always going belly up, as there were five clubs chasing the dream and only 4 spaces. Leeds were the unlucky ones but only looks stupid in retrospect.

Now the top sides have massively ingrained their advantage over the rest. Trying to break into the top four really is next to impossible now.

how many chairmen do get other jobs in football? most club owners will want to run things their own way not buy a club to let nicola run.

Im kind of amazed NC isnt loved by many, like dark munster said above if it wasnt for him convincing marcus to buy us we could have really been up the creek without a paddle,

the way he ran the club was fantastic taking us to back to back promotions, he had the right ammount of ruthlessness and took no crap, made the right managerial choices at the right times-look how sacking adkins for poch worked out.

all in all fantastic chairman if you ask me and you could feel the ambition drain away once he was gone

We were 3 points from the Champions League as recently as 2016.

And the season after that we finished 8th yet closer to relegation on points than the champions league. And the season after that we avoided relegation on the last day and the gap between 5th and 4th was wider than between relegation and mid table. And that’s WITH al the money that the team that finished 5th had to spend.

I honestly don’t know if you’re deluded, a troll or just a bit special, but if you can’t see the stark and very real reality of who we are you’re going to be bitterly, bitterly disappointed.

I’m confident enough to lay a huge stake down that we’ll get relegated again before we ever get into the champions league. And I’m relatively sure we won’t see a club our size there in the next ten years if not more.

The sooner people like you understand the league we play in is rigged the easier it’ll be for you.

The best (and I mean very best) we can hope for is a cup win, and even that is incredibly unlikely.

Mid table is realistic, a shot at Europa league on an exceptional season is possible, champions league is virtually impossible.

And if you want to go statto, name other clubs in our wage and transfer bracket that have done it since it’s inception, because that list can be done on one hand.

Oh and for what it’s worth that doesn’t bother me, I like the fact we’re a provincial club who occasionally punches above our weight.

Forget the marketing rubbish, THAT is the Southampton way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Brighton and us were all in League One together and are all now in the premier league, Man City also went down to league one and came back to the premier league, despite what people want you to think the league one to premier league route is considerably easier than the mid table to top six route in the premier league (and Champions League is nigh on impossible other than an absolute freak season).So many people on here have played far, far too many computer games and need to get a sense of reality. Europa league for us is one hell of an achievement, and at best something we'll get once every 5 or so years even if being run well (and keeping players).Realistically all of these clubs can outspend us,CityChelseaLiverpoolArsenalSpursMan UnitedEvertonWest Hamthen these clubs can match us at least,LeicesterNewcastleWolvesAnd if Villa come up i'd put them in the second tier group with us to begin with (but will pretty quickly move up).So that basically means to get anywhere near the top six we're reliant on 3 teams that can outspend us having poor seasons, as well as the ones around us having average or poor seasons, us doing well and no other smaller side having an exceptional season.To even talk of the Champions League is madness, without the biggest slice of luck ever (Hi Leicester) where all the stars are aligned, you'd have to outspend and out perform at least three of the richest clubs in the country, and one or two of the richest clubs in the world.To do it regularly you'd need to break virtually every rule in FFP as the model would be totally unsustainable.And yet people still seriously think we can break that group!? Delusion doesn't even come close to covering a portion of our fanbase.
#wedontbuysuccesswebreedit

And the season after that we finished 8th yet closer to relegation on points than the champions league. And the season after that we avoided relegation on the last day and the gap between 5th and 4th was wider than between relegation and mid table. And that’s WITH al the money that the team that finished 5th had to spend.

I honestly don’t know if you’re deluded, a troll or just a bit special, but if you can’t see the stark and very real reality of who we are you’re going to be bitterly, bitterly disappointed.

I’m confident enough to lay a huge stake down that we’ll get relegated again before we ever get into the champions league. And I’m relatively sure we won’t see a club our size there in the next ten years if not more.

The sooner people like you understand the league we play in is rigged the easier it’ll be for you.

The best (and I mean very best) we can hope for is a cup win, and even that is incredibly unlikely.

Mid table is realistic, a shot at Europa league on an exceptional season is possible, champions league is virtually impossible.

And if you want to go statto, name other clubs in our wage and transfer bracket that have done it since it’s inception, because that list can be done on one hand.

Oh and for what it’s worth that doesn’t bother me, I like the fact we’re a provincial club who occasionally punches above our weight.

Amen brother.

I know some don't want to hear it but I couldn't give a flying fu ck that we're not in the Champions League and like you say we never will be.

I want us to win a cup and three Wembley trips in less than a decade has been great. Europa, all for it, suits us.

We are what we are and I love Saints for it.

Amen brother.

I know some don't want to hear it but I couldn't give a flying fu ck that we're not in the Champions League and like you say we never will be.

I want us to win a cup and three Wembley trips in less than a decade has been great. Europa, all for it, suits us.

We are what we are and I love Saints for it.

Absolutely. The main reason I went to Milan and Prague is because I knew we probably wouldn't be in that situation again for a very long time. Like you I would like a cup win though.

He works for Football Manager FFS. If you think people who play it have no grip on reality imagine how bad it is for someone actually involved in the damn game.

We will never, ever see Saints in the CL. not even if you live to 200. No ****ing chance.

Too many who no longer remember the scraps of the 90's

I was responding to someone who said "not even if you live to 200. No ****ing chance".

I did not say it would definitely happen, but given as recently as 2 years ago we were extremely close, it is wrong to say "no ****ing chance". It is obviously a long shot, but if we got that close 2 years ago, why completely rule out another freak season even if as you say we live to 200 years old.

He works for Football Manager FFS. If you think people who play it have no grip on reality imagine how bad it is for someone actually involved in the damn game.

3 points away 2 years ago shows it is possible the club can get close. That was reality, 63 points for us and 66 points for the Champions League in 2016. No computer game required.

Please don't any of you twist my words into thinking I've just said Saints will do it any time soon. :mcinnes: :rolleyes:

Edited by Matthew Le God

Some serious revisionist / cherry-picking BS going on about Cortese's regin on here.

Unbelievable spin.

The bloke played a massive role in saving the club and returning us to the top level. He had a remit and a plan agreed with our owner. Its not his fault the owner sadly passed away and the rug was pulled from beneath him by his spolit daughter.

Some serious revisionist / cherry-picking BS going on about Cortese's regin on here.

Unbelievable spin.

The bloke played a massive role in saving the club and returning us to the top level. He had a remit and a plan agreed with our owner. Its not his fault the owner sadly passed away and the rug was pulled from beneath him by his spolit daughter.

You said we were still bring run like a cr appy old seaside B&B when Cortese was in charge.

People complain about our recruitment strategy but I don't know of any talented player who has said he wanted to come to Southampton who we have not signed.

We sign good players but not very good/excellent players because we don't have the revenue to support that.

Bas Dost was making kissy faces at us in Summer 2016. The same summer we sold pretty much our entire goal threat in Pelle and Mane, and then failed to replace our centre forward because instead we built a time machine and went back six months to sign Austin again, or something mental.

It's okay though, because we haven't struggled for goals since then, and he's not really done anything since...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
We will never, ever see Saints in the CL. not even if you live to 200. No ****ing chance.

Christ, you are an idiot.

That set-up and vision is LONG gone.

He was talking about in next 150+ years. If it can happen as recently as 2016, then why not before any of us get to the magical age of 200?

I did not say it would definitely happen, or that it was likely to happen or would happen any time soon. But to completely write it off for such a large timescale is daft considering they were incredibly close as recently as 2 years ago rather than the distant past.

That set-up and vision is LONG gone.

Are you aware that Cortese left in 2014? The season we were 3 points from the Champions League was under Krueger & Reed.

He was talking about in next 150+ years. If it can happen as recently as 2016, then why not before any of us get to the magical age of 200?

I did not say it would definitely happen, or that it was likely to happen or would happen any time soon. But to completely write it off for such a large timescale is daft considering they were incredibly close as recently as 2 years ago rather than the distant past.

Are you aware that Cortese left in 2014? The season we were 3 points from the Champions League was under Krueger & Reed.

Your mental capacity diminishes in direct proportion to the increase in your anal-retentiveness.

The reason we did better in 2016 than 2014 is related to momentum generated by Liebherr, Cortese and Pochettino, which Bunsen and Beaker hadnt yet had time to screw up.

Your mental capacity diminishes in direct proportion to the increase in your anal-retentiveness.

The reason we did better in 2016 than 2014 is related to momentum generated by Liebherr, Cortese and Pochettino, which Bunsen and Beaker hadnt yet had time to screw up.

But... what about being run by like a B & B

The summer of 2014 saw Pochettino, Lallana, Lambert, Lovren, Shaw & Chambers all leave.

It was Reed and Krueger (not Cortese) who appointed Koeman and signed Mane, Pelle, Tadic, Bertrand, Alderweireld, van Dijk etc. That was the key to the 7th place of 2014/15 and the 6th place of 2015/16.

I agree Reed and Krueger have messed up the last two seasons, but it is ridiculous to not look at the good work done after the departures in the summer of 2014 for 2014/15 & 2015/16.

Edited by Matthew Le God

The summer of 2014 saw Pochettino, Lallana, Lambert, Lovren, Shaw & Chambers all leave.

It was Reed and Krueger (not Cortese) who appointed Koeman and signed Mane, Pelle, Tadic, Bertrand, Alderweireld, van Dijk etc. That was the key to the 7th place of 2014/15 and the 6th place of 2015/16.

I agree Reed and Krueger have messed up the last two seasons, but it is ridiculous to not look at the good work done after the departures in the summer of 2014 for 2014/15 & 2015/16.

Deary me. C-.

Apparently the "black box" would have been tracking those signings for ages. So the exact timings mean jack sh*t.

OK, I'll conceed one point. In between Fat Kat got tired of her inherited plaything and wanted more money for shoe shopping.

Deary me. C-.

Apparently the "black box" would have been tracking those signings for ages. So the exact timings mean jack sh*t.

The club track huge numbers of players, the decisions on which of the huge list to target still needed to be made. Those decisions were done without Cortese and Pochettino.

OK, I'll conceed one point. In between Fat Kat got tired of her inherited plaything and wanted more money for shoe shopping.

:rolleyes:

Utterly pathetic! That is just a vile misogynistic post.

Plus...

ZFsoKxm.gif?noredirect

Edited by Matthew Le God

Deary me. C-.

You should not use that word as its derogatory especially from you.

It was never her plaything she carried on with her fathers wishes and just sacked Cortese before he bankrupted us

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

The club track huge numbers of players, the decisions on which of the huge list to target still needed to be made. Those decisions were done without Cortese and Pochettino.

:rolleyes:

Utterly pathetic! That is just a vile misogynistic post.

Plus...

ZFsoKxm.gif?noredirect

Saints bought shill. Kat is fat. Therefore she IS a lard *ss and did cr*p on her father's legacy. Les Reed and Gobblegook messed up big time 2 years ago.

Hitler did good till he invaded Russia in flipfops, like W*nker Reed did when he gave t*ssers long contracts, MLG you are a paid shill and you have been found out!

Larry, what are you on about cr@ping on her father's legacy? Who was his legacy for? Certainly not us fans, but instead to his kith and kin. And to that end, she made a £200m profit from his legacy. I would suggest that his legacy did pretty well.

Saints bought shill. Kat is fat. Therefore she IS a lard *ss and did cr*p on her father's legacy. Les Reed and Gobblegook messed up big time 2 years ago.

Hitler did good till he invaded Russia in flipfops, like W*nker Reed did when he gave t*ssers long contracts, MLG you are a paid shill and you have been found out!

Step away from the tiki torch. Do you really want to compare Les Reed to Adolph ****ing Hitler? Do you really think that using the phrase “Hitler did good” is a good idea?

Say what?!?! :scared:

We weren’t 3 points from champions league anyway. We’d have tied City and Utd. City had a +30 GD, us a +18. We’d have needed one extra win and a lot more goals (or conceded a lot less) to have got 4th AND then won a two legged playoff round.